• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

upandaway

Need rathalos tail, cut tail, get ruby (i have 3)

ヽ( ´ー`)ノ

edit: second attempt, plate (i have 4 million)

ヽ( ´ー`)ノ

Fatalis is SO easy. Alatreon remains the superior Elder Dragon.

Right now I'm trying to find a G Rank Gore Magala in the expedition area, this is going to take a while...

Fatalis is SO easy. Alatreon remains the superior Elder Dragon.

Right now I'm trying to find a G Rank Gore Magala in the expedition area, this is going to take a while...

I have a guild quest with G Gore if you want to do it? It's low leveled so it shouldn't be going into Chaos anytime soon.

andthebeatgoeson

Doesn't completing the single player make you rank higher quicker? Or is that bs? I'm liking the caravan stuff and I'm at 8 star missions. Taking my sweet time. About 100 hours in.

I guess I could have gone to guild first but it'll make the initial guild missions easier to have decent hr armor and I'm at dios + gs and one step away from cera cygil.

I have a guild quest with G Gore if you want to do it? It's low leveled so it shouldn't be going into Chaos anytime soon.

I didn't know that, Guild Quests are so confusing!

Anyway, I got one online, it's level 101. We did it a few times, I got like 3 gems, and 0 mantles. BYE!

I'm gonna make a carving god set.

Wolfe

Opening up a HR room for event quests, I'll be posting Three Virtues specifically as I still need to do it 4 more times and try as I might I cannot get randoms that don't die before we've downed Rajang. Doesn't matter what I put for the room details, I still get the HR 4 guy with 136 def and no skills that's bugging me to start the quest with only 3 people even though I told him I'm waiting for 4 since it's an HR7 quest -_-

Anyway, we can take turns if there's any event quests anyone else want's to do.

30 0691 5549 1749

It's great making a room so you can kick players.

Got a phosgem on my first run on S. Magala, feels pretty good. Now I need to start doing GR Gore for the rest of my magala upgrades. I have a question about CritDraw though. The entry says it increases affinity for all draw attacks by 100%. Does this just set it at 100%, or is there some kind of "super crit" that exists in this game?

aechris

I had a big weekend!

Finally got my bronze crown and reached HR 100 yesterday, then today I finished Caravaneer's Challenge and as I was doing so I crossed over 200 hours.

Time for some

piq_170159_400x400.png

!

Wolfe

It's great making a room so you can kick players.

Lol it never ceases to amaze me how I can make a room and post a quest then sure enough dude will join and post his own quest and start to get ready for it. I mean wtf why not just make your own room? After the first dude did that and then went on the quest by himself while we were still in the lobby, I just kick them right away when they grab a quest now -_-

Wolfe

Opening up a HR room for event quests, I'll be posting Three Virtues specifically as I still need to do it 4 more times and try as I might I cannot get randoms that don't die before we've downed Rajang. Doesn't matter what I put for the room details, I still get the HR 4 guy with 136 def and no skills that's bugging me to start the quest with only 3 people even though I told him I'm waiting for 4 since it's an HR7 quest -_-

Anyway, we can take turns if there's any event quests anyone else want's to do.

30 0691 5549 1749

2 spots still if anyone is up for some HR event quests.

Hunting Horn is fun as hell!

I don't have great talismans for Maestro yet but with the BaiBaiKaiser set, I've got it, Sheath Control, Evasion+1, and Attack up (just something to fill out my abilities). Using the Gog horn, man is that fantastic.

Based on your comments I'm assuming this is your first Monster Hunter? It is mine at least. And that you haven't already been playing online?

I played up through 9-star offline (caravan) before I started experimenting with the online (guild) missions. I'm personally happy that I did it that way. I was able to learn the flow of combat and the detail of the game's systems before playing with other people. But now that I have dipped my toes into online, it's hard for me to not consider that the main mode going forward.

I generally prefer to play games offline, but I have enjoyed playing online Monster Hunter with randoms quite a bit. If you haven't tried it yet, my advice would be to just pick a random room and just join in on whatever they are doing. If you are totally new to online, make sure you choose a room of the apropriate hunter rank (for a beginer that would be HR1-3), that it is listed as "in guild hall" and not "on mission" (this just means that they are about to start a mission instead of on a mission), and that it has 2-3 people in the room already. And then just play whatever missions the other people are doing (once they choose a mission, you have to sign up for it on the board next to the exit door, and then go to the exit door).

Once you do that a bit, you will get a sense for the dynamics of those play sessions and how/when you should ask to select your own missions. This relates to "key" quests versus "urgent" quests, but I wouldn't even worry about that to start with. For me, playing online is more about -playing- than about strict advancement. You are going to end up repeating missions, but that's ok since missions go super fast online and there is always a use for extra materials.

Regarding needing motivation to push forward, I have personally always been motivated by getting better gear. Having watched a lot of tutorials online and having been exposed to advanced players, it has always been painfully clear that there is better gear waiting right beyond the corner. I have always been two steps ahead of myself regarding what monsters I am waiting to fight so I can craft their bows and/or armor. Another benefit of playing online is that you will be exposed to everyone else's equipment, which can help to point you in the right direction.

Other general advice:

The various game systems come to matter more as you advance further into the game. And none of them are individually as complicated as they might seem. I wouldn't worry about any of them until you feel you need to or until you run into a difficulty wall.

Combining items will become useful if you come to use items on quests. You will want to build up an ecconomy in the game to keep yourself stocked. But, again, ignore that for now if that isn't your play style. Though I would assume that you would want to be crafting mega potions at the very least.

The cat stuff can be useful if you want to put time into it, but you can also larely ignore it. Having spent a lot of time offline, it was very helpful for me to have built up a set of palicoes to auto-heal me (healing is a pain for archers). If you're interested in this, you can google "first-stringers"/palicoes for info.

Armor skills didn't really matter for me until high rank (caravan 7 and up). I would just pay attention to what skills your armor has so you can start to learn about the concept in general. Like these other systems, you don't really need to worry about theme early on, and you will learn about them organically as you play.

One last comment: don't be afraid to experiment with other weapons even this far into the game. The Hammer might just not be right for you.

Woah! I really appreciate the thoughtful response (and to everyone who responded). It is my first Monster Hunter game, yes. It sounds like my main problem is that I spend way too much time on the single player mode, which is getting to be pretty lonely/repetitive experience. My tendency to play SP over MP has a lot to do with the fact that I perceive myself as having less time than I actually do.

That all being said, I started focusing on MP today and I think the love is back. I really wish I was working toward a new armor set, though...

And I think I still like the Hammer! Using it alone was getting boring; there's nothing more satisfying than seeing your comrades taking advantage of a dazed monster. I love it.

I'm at G1...so I saw Ceadeus weapon only requires HR6 to obtain or something, Advanced: Naked & Afraid. Dual Jho in Arena and no armor!

I thought I could attempt this, until I saw it requires fucking HR90 to even unlock! WTF?

Tzmhero

Hey all. I've been playing this game for a few weeks now, and yes, it is my first MH experience. I've played a bit through some online quests with Seraphiscain and I'm about 30 or so hour in, just getting into the 4 Star rank stuff and just started HR 2 quests.

I'm interested in learning as much as I can with this game, and I love playing online... but I have yet to try playing with rando's. Any help anyone is willing to give would be much appreciated, either verbal or in game. Seraphiscain said you guys were all great, so i thought I'd post here. Thanks for you time!

I'm interested in learning as much as I can with this game, and I love playing online... but I have yet to try playing with rando's. Any help anyone is willing to give would be much appreciated, either verbal or in game. Seraphiscain said you guys were all great, so i thought I'd post here. Thanks for you time!

What do you mean? Are you looking for some tips, or someone to come along?

Tzmhero

I was more just introducing myself than anything. I really didn't know how to just say Hi. I'm both new to MH and to this community in general. Sorry for the confusion.

Tzmhero

I've been maining Switch Axe but I've been looking at the Duel Blades since I figure I'm already used to not blocking... so why not use something that is a bit faster?

Top Bottom