• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

tm24

Got a sweet +4 Fast Charge OOO charm that let me start my 4 skill armor without having to farm more Yian Garuga. Wearing this

Black Belt Helm
Garuga Mail X
Ace Vambraces
Kushala Cocoon
Tetsucabra Greaves X

Gets me Razor Sharp, CritDraw, HG Earplugs and Focus. Have 5 slots open. What skill should I gem in that has decorations that have a 2pt value? Considering Tremor Res, Mycology, Mounting or Biology

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I really need to up my damage output against Fatalis. Dragon Atk +3 and a 700 Dragon element GS and it still took me nearly 70 minutes total to kill him. Maybe I'm just not too good with GS. Might look into a different weapon. I just know I need to kill (or repel) him three more times for three more Accolade G so I can make the shinobi armor.

Shengar

I really need to up my damage output against Fatalis. Dragon Atk +3 and a 700 Dragon element GS and it still took me nearly 70 minutes total to kill him. Maybe I'm just not too good with GS. Might look into a different weapon. I just know I need to kill (or repel) him three more times for three more Accolade G so I can make the shinobi armor.

If you look at the damage chart, GS is terrible weapon to be used against it due to the fact that Fatalis weak point is its face and head, at least on solo.

Leezard

Insect glaive is an easy way to kill fatalis as you can mount it and bash its head all the time.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Was getting worried of not finding the Brachy DB in the crafting shop and I discovered they're hidden in the upgrade path of the Kut-Ku DB. WHY?

After 90 hours of Charge Blade, I'll be dashing again soon.

deim0s

Was getting worried of not finding the Brachy DB in the crafting shop and I discovered their hidden in the upgrade path of the Kut-Ku DB. WHY?

After 90 hours of Charge Blade, I'll be dashing again soon.

An artificial wall so that you'd hunt at least one Blue Kut-Ku.

Edit: Kiranico has them 3d models of the weapons... how did they get to export those?

redcrayon

The vast majority of people online are fantastic, but I had to laugh last night. After an hour of hunting dual Deviljho at rank 136+, everyone was doing fine, using wystones etc. Three of us finally carted within 20 seconds of each other in the last quest I was part of, two of them (including the host) to a barrage of dragonfire when trying to drive the non-apex away with dung bombs, and me to getting stomped by the first which broke my guard, before each one body slammed me in turn while I was stunned. Ah well. Seemed understandable to me, if a whole party carts at once it's not an individual's fault, and it's hard to heal someone quick enough sometimes. Maybe we all needed to look for better dragon res, tremor res, more experience fighting apex Jho etc.

The host then kicked me, but not before taking the time to type a passive-aggressive 'nooob!' In the tavern first, making sure there was no time to reply, despite me helping to level up his guild quest several times. This was also despite me being the only one packing dust of life and lifepowder time and again, burning through my resources to make the quest succeed whenever anyone was getting mauled. Monster hunting: seris bizness apparently. I've never kicked anyone for carting unless it's the same hunter over and over again on more than one quest, and especially not when I've carted too!

redcrayon

I know the feeling dude.
Is your hunter name also wolfe? It might be fairly common but I think I've probably hunted with you if you're an EU gaffer. My hunter name is taliel, usually kitted as a lancer.

It does seem a touch unfair if the last person to cart is held to blame for a failed hunt, I think everyone should be careful with their health all the time, not just extra-cautious when on the last life. You never know when a multiple-cart is going to happen, it often seems to happen when someone trips half the party with their weapon during a pile-on, leaving them prone to a radial attack they could otherwise have blocked or dodged.

Only thing to do is dive straight back in, I solo'd the g3 chameleos battlequarters urgent quest on the way to work. Felt good :)

I wonder when we'll be able to use sound attacks? I mean yeah we have hunting horn songs for buffs but I mean a legit weapon who's attacks are soundwaves like how Tigrex or Akantor do it.

Well some Hunting Horns do have a sound bomb melody built into them. But yeah, nothing nearly as awesome as a Tigrex roar.

Tom_Cody

Any armor recommendations for HR4-ish? I'm finding my Velocidrome Set isn't cutting it like it used to. How about Velociprey Armor S?

Do you know which Guild Quests drop the materials? It looks like I can't get it anywhere but 7-start Caravan Quests, and I'm only at 5.
That Velociprey Armor S is High Rank equipment. You won't have access to that until you get to High Rank, which is Caravan 7 and up.

Armor selection isn't that important until you get to High Rank and G Rank (mostly G Rank) when armor sets start to have more useful skills. Most of the armor sets in Low Rank have roughly the same defense, as do the High Rank sets. Just make sure you are upgrading with armor spheres. Weapons upgrade continuously, but armor is essentially tiered to your rank.

For Low Rank, I would just choose a set based on appearance. Or one that possibly has 1-2 useful skills.

You use hammer, right? Gaijin Hunter lists some useful hammer skills at the end of this post:
http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/77889757416/mh4-understanding-hammer

And you can match that with armor sets:
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/set/blademaster

You also can't go wrong with this specific Low Rank set:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2w9ioy/heres_an_extremely_useful_low_rank_armour_set/

And here are some more Hammer specific reccomendations:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2xavke/hammer_weaponarmorskillsplaystyle_guide/

tuffy

Damn the Gem farming room is full I'll start a new one ID is 21-9559-6253-0866 zenith gems and large zenith gems got a lot of weapons to hone !
If you're still in need of large zenith gems, I'll be around later on this evening (perhaps 10 hours from now) to help out. Despite the best efforts of many awesome GAF hunters, the desire sensor was not on my side last time around.

Shengar

If you're still in need of large zenith gems, I'll be around later on this evening (perhaps 10 hours from now) to help out. Despite the best efforts of many awesome GAF hunters, the desire sensor was not on my side last time around.

If you know that I actually need regular Zenith gem but even that Apex Gravios from before decides to give me L Zenith instead lol

I have like 1 Zenith gem and 11 L Zenith

tuffy

If you know that I actually need regular Zenith gem but even that Apex Gravios from before decides to give me L Zenith instead lol

I have like 1 Zenith gem and 11 L Zenith
I don't how how, but somehow this game just knows. Many Apex hunts on all sorts of different monsters, and one L Zenith to show for it. At least it's possible for Maximeld to turn L Zeniths into regular. I just with the reverse was possible.

On the bright side, at least some pieces of my LBG arsenal are a little better than they were yesterday.

Shengar

I don't how how, but somehow this game just knows. Many Apex hunts on all sorts of different monsters, and one L Zenith to show for it. At least it's possible for Maximeld to turn L Zeniths into regular. I just with the reverse was possible.

On the bright side, at least some pieces of my LBG arsenal are a little better than they were yesterday.

Even if its possible, I don't want to do that to avoid future hassle. I have so many L Zenith gem is because I'm either don't know what weapon to hone or what honing should I choose.

I could definitely help with the apex hunting. Hunting with just doesn't have the same spark.

That Velociprey Armor S is High Rank equipment. You won't have access to that until you get to High Rank, which is Caravan 7 and up.

Armor selection isn't that important until you get to High Rank and G Rank (mostly G Rank) when armor sets start to have more useful skills. Most of the armor sets in Low Rank have roughly the same defense, as do the High Rank sets. Just make sure you are upgrading with armor spheres. Weapons upgrade continuously, but armor is essentially tiered to your rank.

For Low Rank, I would just choose a set based on appearance. Or one that possibly has 1-2 useful skills.

You use hammer, right? Gaijin Hunter lists some useful hammer skills at the end of this post:
http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/77889757416/mh4-understanding-hammer

And you can match that with armor sets:
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/set/blademaster

You also can't go wrong with this specific Low Rank set:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2w9ioy/heres_an_extremely_useful_low_rank_armour_set/

And here are some more Hammer specific reccomendations:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2xavke/hammer_weaponarmorskillsplaystyle_guide/

Thank you so much! That Gaijinhunter post was particularly insightful. I'm stoked to try some of that stuff out.

And would you recommend I use Armor Sphere+ on my current Velocidrome set, or would that be a waste?

Tom_Cody

Thank you so much! That Gaijinhunter post was particularly insightful. I'm stoked to try some of that stuff out.

And would you recommend I use Armor Sphere+ on my current Velocidrome set, or would that be a waste?

Use armor spheres whenever you want on armor you are going to use. They are not uncommon.
NP. Your questions are extremely similar to mine when I was coming up so I'm happy to help.

Ditto Leezard. Armor Spheres always become available as you need them. There is only ever a slight lag between getting your first one (of each level) and then getting more than you could ever need. I would only wait to use your Armor Sphere+ if you know you are going to be crafting a new armor set immediately and you want to have them ready to go.

tariniel

That feel when a friend you've been bothering finally gets MH4U, get's stuck on single player 3* monsters, refuses advice and never wants to play the game ever again.

That feel when a friend you've been bothering finally gets MH4U, get's stuck on single player 3* monsters, refuses advice and never wants to play the game ever again.

I was playing with someone who had lent his game to a friend, who promptly hacked in the White Fatalis gear because he was having trouble beating Great Jaggi. Yes, the first big monster in the game, Caravan 1*.

deim0s

I was playing with someone who had lent his game to a friend, who promptly hacked in the White Fatalis gear because he was having trouble beating Great Jaggi. Yes, the first big monster in the game, Caravan 1*.

I kicked an HR1 player with the white fatty set a few hours ago.

tariniel

It makes no sense how people can have fun playing this game effectively invincible. I mean, he wont even get close to getting killed until probably G rank. At which point they will realize they are bad and got carried by gear but now there's no gear they can hack in that will save them.

Reminds me of some dude who join a HR 7 Molten Tigrex lobby I was in. This dude had full kaiser, a 1500 dmg switch axe, 0 armor skills (but lots at 9 points!), and he literally didn't even attempt to hit the tigrex one time. He ran around, stood on top of the pillars, and was content to let everyone else carry him. He then left the lobby as soon as 1 person carted. I've never wanted to reach through the internet and choke someone more than this dude.

Tom_Cody

Eh, the game can be pretty obtuse if you have no idea what you're doing.

Also, you can never force someone to like something that they're not into. As much as I love this game, I will be the first to admit that it's not for everyone.

Shengar

Boy is it hard to go back to solo with those idiot cats after playing with humans.
You don't know true FUN until you run blademaster solo with BOMBING palicoes.

Fuck Shagaru Magala, these cats are Michael Bay incarnate.
Eh, the game can be pretty obtuse if you have no idea what you're doing.

Also, you can never force someone to like something that they're not into. As much as I love this game, I will be the first to admit that it's not for everyone.
I agree. While MH4U is better at introducing the game, it still obtuse at a time and neglecting those mechanic proved to be fatal. It can't be helped either when Capcom already put the Help menu on each essential NPC and people refused to actually read them through.

The amount of people with empty gem slot and mish mashed armor in G Rank is baffling. Some of them actually pretty skillful, but to think how they couldn't know about skill, feels like they wasting their playing skill potential.

redcrayon

Boy is it hard to go back to solo with those idiot cats after playing with humans.
Every so often my cats have picked up something cool though- I remember making Tigrex gear, missing the claw I needed in the results box, and it turned out one of cats had picked one up during the fight. He definitely deserved an extra fish that night. I even thought about giving him the day off, but he wasn't thaat good :D

lol i really do need to accept the fact that I just can't solo a damn thing anymore. Couldn't even do apex rajang cause every time i'd get him out of apex he'd zone out leaving behind the trap i put down. And he gets back into apex so fast that it's back to bounce city :/

Meanwhile I can't even get a GR Gore to show up on expedition or in a lobby.

I did get lucky and got a Mantle from my first GR hunt, but then the host disconnected.

I think it's a huge mistake for MH to lock upgrades like this. Chaos Gore should drop some of the parts, at least.

jorgejjvr

Am I correct in assuming that Dual Blades are the best weapons to use with Evasion +3 and Evade Distance Up? I feel like they benefit the most, right?

-Alternis

Quadratic

I'll take up that offer. I'm on the hunt now for L zenith gems. 50/50 on keeping the Rath Soul Z armour I just crafted. Not enough to gem in Sharpness +1 with my handicraft +7 charm :( I'll need a LS with 2 slots...

Rawk Hawk

Am I correct in assuming that Dual Blades are the best weapons to use with Evasion +3 and Evade Distance Up? I feel like they benefit the most, right?

-Alternis

Possibly Lancing would be better? At least with the evasion, never used Evade Distance with a lance, but Evasion+3 is pretty sweet.

Top Bottom