• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Am I correct in assuming that Dual Blades are the best weapons to use with Evasion +3 and Evade Distance Up? I feel like they benefit the most, right?

-Alternis

SnS would be perfect for Evade+3 and Evade Dist. Not getting locked into combos and being able to roll far and through anything.

Those were some great runs, many rares and even got enough Zenith L's to upgrade my DB's. Of course, I need more to upgrade my other IGs and GS.

KimChi

Am I correct in assuming that Dual Blades are the best weapons to use with Evasion +3 and Evade Distance Up? I feel like they benefit the most, right?

-Alternis

Hmm, not a Dual Blade expert but I did play around with them until I picked up sns which I love now but I noticed some things.
For me I don't really see the point of evasion+3 when used with the demon mode dashes since the animation is pretty short and evasion+ extends your i frames during the animation so it seems like a waste to me, plus it was easy enough for me to dodge through attacks without evasion+. Maybe get evasion+1 if you need the extra frames to dodge through attacks and roars? Otherwise I wouldn't prioritize it for dual blades.
I believe lances benefit the most from evasion+3 since it makes you invincible through the whole hopping animation.(if im wrong on that please correct me o:)
Evade distance might be nice but I never tried it with dual blades and demon mode dashes so I can't say anything about that, have you tried it? sounds like it could be decent.

jorgejjvr

Hmm, not a Dual Blade expert but I did play around with them until I picked up sns which I love now but I noticed some things.
For me I don't really see the point of evasion+3 when used with the demon mode dashes since the animation is pretty short and evasion+ extends your i frames during the animation so it seems like a waste to me, plus it was easy enough for me to dodge through attacks without evasion+. Maybe get evasion+1 if you need the extra frames to dodge through attacks and roars? Otherwise I wouldn't prioritize it for dual blades.
I believe lances benefit the most from evasion+3 since it makes you invincible through the whole hopping animation.(if im wrong on that please correct me o:)
Evade distance might be nice but I never tried it with dual blades and demon mode dashes so I can't say anything about that, have you tried it? sounds like it could be decent.

The only reason I got evade distance up was to make the dashing animation for dual blades longer, thus making it easier to successfully dodge and not get hit.

-Alternis

KimChi

The only reason I got evade distance up was to make the dashing animation for dual blades longer, thus making it easier to successfully dodge and not get hit.

-Alternis

evade distance just increases the distance of a roll/dash though, I don't think it extends the animation of the roll? unless I'm wrong on that.

bon

I picked this up with a New 3DS yesterday. Trailers don't do this game justice, it looks pretty outstanding in person.

I picked this up with a New 3DS yesterday. Trailers don't do this game justice, it looks pretty outstanding in person.

trailers blow up the game on a large screen making it look like shit, .. but on the small screen its great the art style always goes the extra mile

Schmitty

Is there a guide anywhere I could read about guild quests (the ones from expeditions) and the armor you find on them? It seems like it takes so much to clean those armors to be really worth it.

I still wish mine didn't become a Chaos one.

Well you want it? Mine's fresh.

Thanks for the hunts guys, but I actually haven't advanced the story enough in SP to get that special Wystone that breaks an Apex's super guard so... I feel like I'm dragging ya'll down more than contributing with my toot toot horn.

Well you want it? Mine's fresh.

Thanks for the hunts guys, but I actually haven't advanced the story enough in SP to get that special Wystone that breaks an Apex's super guard so... I feel like I'm dragging ya'll down more than contributing with my toot toot horn.
Nah it's cool, I'll just leech off others or I could always send mine and have it revert back to regular gore.

I keep getting a Connection Error 006-0612 when I try and join a room. I can get online just fine to see what rooms are available and it seems I can create rooms but when I join it errors. Has this happened to anyone else?

daxy

Woo, got around to clearing the HR7 urgent and jumped up to the HR40s.
Am I correct in assuming that when I clear the second HR7 urgent I will get G1 or is there some other requirement?

Finally, the real Monster Hunter starts.

PrankT

Woo, got around to clearing the HR7 urgent and jumped up to the HR40s.
Am I correct in assuming that when I clear the second HR7 urgent I will get G1 or is there some other requirement?

Finally, the real Monster Hunter starts.
Yes, you will get to g1. Going to do it now?

daxy

Yes, you will get to g1. Going to do it now?

Thanks! Not any time today unfortunately, but I'll have a go at it tomorrow. By the way, how will I tell the difference between G rank quests and regular high rank if I want to grind for mats?

Reading this thread made me realize I really need to check what's up with expeditions. Seems like that's more important than I thought.

As an aside, I've been using the GS since MHFU and never really thought anything of it. Seemed like a really strong and mobile choice, but I got a bit into charge blade and it is absolutely wrecking shit in way faster times. Is there a meaningful niche to pick GS in situations where the CB should manage too (online)? I tend to feel a bit useless playing online with GS because anticipating a monster's moves and playing a reactive game doesn't work when aggro jumps all the time, while everybody else gets up in a monster's face. Maybe I need to get gud.

Tarps

GUYS! I did it! It may have taken me 49 out of 50 minutes but I done took down apex Rajang with just me and my stealing cats xD

Congrats!

49 out of 50 minutes, you must have really been feeling the pressure there. How did you manage it, what was your setup?

Pila

Finally killed that mean Teostra in single player, now Kushala Daora is next and then I'll be ready to play HR7 online. Not going online until I beat these fuckers solo.

Rawk Hawk

Friends and I did the wyceum quests last night, so hopefully can start farming apex stuff now for some honing.

Got a random honing questions to see what you guys may have done though: At this point I almost always eat for Def (L) and Defender (Hi). I'm curious though if anyone has honed for defense and then started eating for Attack (L) instead? I'm thinking of doing that, or honing for Attack and simply continuing to eat the same way I always have. What I like about honing for Defense though is it would allow the option to double up defense by eating as well for new fights or really annoying fights, to where I don't think I would double up on Honing and eating for attack unless I'm ultra confident in the fight.

Just curious how you all have approached this step in your play time?

tuffy

Just curious how you all have approached this step in your play time?
My weapons are honed for either attack or defense based on the targets I expect to use it on. Like the Livid Griscannon is a normal shot gun meant for pretty small targets like Rathalos, Rathian and Seregios. Those monsters don't have a lot of moves that kill me in one shot, so that weapon's honed for attack. But the God's Archipelago is a status gun whose attack power doesn't really matter, so that one's honed for defense.

And for an added bit of crazy, I actually forged the Furia Sedition twice and honed one for attack and one for defense. The attack-honed one is meant for nimble targets that don't hit too hard, like Kirin. The defense-honed one is meant for mobile targets that pack a punch, like Shagaru Magala.

That's been my approach, anyway.

Greddleok

So I've been playing MH4 for around 30 hours, as it's my first (well second, but first I've really gotten into) MH game, when do I get to the point that I'm not scrounging for mats to upgrade my weapons? I'm using rarity 2 weapons (I think, maybe 3 - the item names are purple) and all I need are rare rocks to upgrade like 3 weapons to the next rank.

I feel strong enough (I just made it to heaven's mount), but getting weapons seems really freaking hard, and I feel like my gear progression has completely stalled.

Also: How the hell do I do multiplayer? Or am I still too early to try as I'm not fantastic, and I'll probably end up pissing off other players.

Rawk Hawk

So I've been playing MH4 for around 30 hours, as it's my first (well second, but first I've really gotten into) MH game, when do I get to the point that I'm not scrounging for mats to upgrade my weapons? I'm using rarity 2 weapons (I think, maybe 3 - the item names are purple) and all I need are rare rocks to upgrade like 3 weapons to the next rank.

I feel strong enough (I just made it to heaven's mount), but getting weapons seems really freaking hard, and I feel like my gear progression has completely stalled.

Also: How the hell do I do multiplayer? Or am I still too early to try as I'm not fantastic, and I'll probably end up pissing off other players.

Armor progression is sort of tied to rank, low rank you'll have a set, high rank you may have a couple, and then in G rank you'll have more. Just pump in armor spheres as needed to keep you going. Although that's not to say you can't craft more, some people really enjoy making lots of sets, and that's certainly fine. Sometimes weapons are the same way, you may find though you are able to craft certain weapons up to rare 3, 4 etc before others. For weapons I usually look online and a weapon tree and skim through to see if there is anything with better damage that I know I can farm. Here is the switch axe one I used a lot, but they have them for all weapons: http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe

As for online, travel to the gathering hall and change your online status, there are low rank quests just like in Caravan and the people doing them will more than likely be in the same boat as you, so I wouldn't worry about pissing anyone off. Online is a decent way to get access to parts you need for upgrades sometimes before you can get them offline.

That's been my approach, anyway.

Thanks, two of the same weapon eh? That does sound crazy. I unearthed a God's Isle, maybe I should start gunning.. You don't hone for life with gunning? I feel like I see that a lot with gunners, although I always wondered if Peak Performance is that much better than the attack boost, I mean the attack is always there, seems like it would lead to more damage output.

Ultrabum

For those items that are hard to find look them up on kiranico (Google it).

To do multiplayer hit world map then the button at the top of the touch screen should change to multiplayer, hit that, then select online mode.

You can start multiplayer at anytime, it parallels in difficulty with the single player.

Renewed

Edit: Beaten.

Well, after 255 hours and being now G3 I think I just have have encountered my first "wall" in this game. The caravan 10* F***ing Rajang. I can't upgrade my armor without Armor spheres +7, which seem to be a pain to get, and this beast destroyed me. I had no chance against him.

I hate this super saiyan monkey.

Renewed

Well, after 255 hours and being now G3 I think I just have have encountered my first "wall" in this game. The caravan 10* F***ing Rajang. I can't upgrade my armor without Armor spheres +7, which seem to be a pain to get, and this beast destroyed me. I had no chance against him.

I try to avoid fighting Rajang at all costs. Bad I know, but it's never fun.

I remember being super tired one day (I haven't been able to sleep) and trying to just do something so I hopped online to see if it would fare better there. Three Virtues (getting Hero's Clothes) and we get to Rajang with no problem. I get hit once and go to heal while a Gunner runs in my direction. That beam though :(

tuffy

For what it's worth, I still have to finish that one myself. I don't realistically expect to survive that lightning beam in gunner armor no matter how many armor spheres I use. So I'm going to keep practicing on high rank Rajang until I have all his moves down before giving it another serious shot. He's kindof a glass cannon who should be manageable if I can avoid getting one-shotted.

Or if all else fails, I could learn the Great Sword and stunlock him to death with a bunch of charged hits.

Top Bottom