• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

I try to avoid fighting Rajang at all costs. Bad I know, but it's never fun.

I remember being super tired one day (I haven't been able to sleep) and trying to just do something so I hopped online to see if it would fare better there. Three Virtues (getting Hero's Clothes) and we get to Rajang with no problem. I get hit once and go to heal while a Gunner runs in my direction. That beam though :(

the worst part is that caravan 10* Rajang didn't even need his death beam to slay me.
He just hits like a train. And he moves fast and covers a large area with his attacks.

It must be the most dangerous monster of this game.

I unearthed a God's Isle, maybe I should start gunning.. You don't hone for life with gunning? I feel like I see that a lot with gunners, although I always wondered if Peak Performance is that much better than the attack boost, I mean the attack is always there, seems like it would lead to more damage output.

No, you don't hone for life with gunning (I thought the same thing too when I started honing). The lifesteal aspect has a cool down, so you're not getting health back every hit. Also, the defensive goal for a G Rank gunner is to be at full hp at all times. If you're not at full hp, there's a good chance you're dead or potting to get back to full asap. Gunner armor has much lower defense than melee armor, so everything hits too hard for the pittance of life you get back with Life honing.

tuffy

No, you don't hone for life with gunning (I thought the same thing too when I started honing). The lifesteal aspect has a cool down, so you're not getting health back every hit. Also, the defensive goal for a G Rank gunner is to be at full hp at all times. If you're not at full hp, there's a good chance you're dead or potting to get back to full asap. Gunner armor has much lower defense than melee armor, so everything hits too hard for the pittance of life you get back with Life honing.
Exactly.

One could try to keep Peak Performance going by honing for life and using it to restore chip damage every time some Konchu decides to take a shot at you. But the boost from honing for attack and the boost from Peak Performance are the same. So it seems more sensible to just hone for attack and have more damage all the time rather than to hone for life to make the skill more useful.

Shengar

That Master's test is tearing me apart ;-;

-Alternis
Use smoke bombs and bring a lot of farcaster combination material. My strategy is to kill Seregios as fast as possible, ideally without Apex Wystone or brought down to almost death, used farcaster, then back deliver the kill blow with wystone at the ready to tackle Diablos straight away. This is the real challenge start. You're ought to kill the Diablos before Seregios corpse disappear because when that happened, Deviljho joins the party. Depends on what weapon you use, you can actually kill Diablos only using wystone once, re-apex, then kill it by hitting its feet. I met quite difficulty defeating Apexes without wystone using IG because it have so much wide swing attack that it tend to hit places that I don't want to hit it to. Soloing Deviljho should gives you more room to breath since you don't have any pressure to kill it fast like Diablos and Seregios did, but depends on what weapon you use and how many farcasters you have left, it could be pretty tough fight. Personally, I feel it quite tense because I'm using IG and it's quite difficult to obtain red juices from Deviljho, let alone a regular one where you need Drive Wystone to be able to do it. I guess I'm really lucky with the juices since I immediately able to obtain them as soon as I apply the wystone.
Just curious how you all have approached this step in your play time?
Most of the time I choose Defense Hone because I'm not particularly good at evading and being one shotted or even worse, aggro'd to death aren't very pleasant experience. Since the 60+ defense and Divine Protection most of the time enough to keep me alive, I'm usually eat attack food for extra offense. But against hyper-active that prone to use oneshot attack such as Rajang or Shagaru Magala, I eat defense food with Felyne Defender for extra protection. The only time I'm honed my weapon with Hone Attack is when the said weapon already have built in defense bonus, such Plesioth Drencher.

I hated fighting Rajang at first, but it became one of my favorite fights in the game with the SnS.
There are so much time fighting Rajang where it started to become boring. Maybe it is my fault for entering GQ Rajang room and Apex Rajang so many times, but I really wished that there are more end game monsters than just elder dragons and Rajang. It's quite unfortunate that Apex Deviljho is locked behind GQ and Diablos received so much moveset nerf in the game that all he do is bullcharge at the players.

Any opinions on the greatest GS? Cera has been a classic, but from what I've read it might not be the best choice anymore.

I still find Cera to be amazing when mixed with CritDraw. The Gore GS is fantastic too, and I haven't even maxed it out yet. The Defied Grisblade (M. Tigrex) has good damage and affinity, and if you have Awakening/Arcane it's got a big chunk of blast damage.

It's quite unfortunate that Apex Deviljho is locked behind GQ and Diablos received so much moveset nerf in the game that all he do is bullcharge at the players.

Man, I feel like Diablos got a just MASSIVE nerf in this game. He was a terror in MH3U that i dreaded fighting. This game, was wasn't any worse than a mobile Hermitaur.

Shengar

I finally got my second Dire Blastheart and used it to upgrade my Gravecannon. At first my built for it was Normal Up, Fleet Feet, Challenger+2, and Critical Eye+2 until I found out that Peak Perfomance doesn't stack with Challenger. So if I'm keep being stubborn and try to mix my set around Sororal pieces for its Fleet Feet, which mean I must ditch Challenger+2, I can get these skill set with my current charms:

Set 1: Normal Up, Fleet Feet, Critical God
Set 2: Normal Up, Fleet Feet, Attack Up XL

Livid Grisscannon already have natural 15% affinity, so Critical God could ramp that up to a whooping 45%. But Attack Up XL gives more persistent damage bonus. I don't understand the damage equation so I could asked is an opinion from fellow gunner which one is the best.

Man, I feel like Diablos got a just MASSIVE nerf in this game. He was a terror in MH3U that i dreaded fighting. This game, was wasn't any worse than a mobile Hermitaur.
I don't know if it just me, but it seems that Diablos become much smaller in MH4U as well.

Leezard

I still find Cera to be amazing when mixed with CritDraw. The Gore GS is fantastic too, and I haven't even maxed it out yet. The Defied Grisblade (M. Tigrex) has good damage and affinity, and if you have Awakening/Arcane it's got a big chunk of blast damage.
From what I've gathered, the Ukanlos/Akantor/Grisblade are the main contenders. Grisblade apparently does more damage if you can get a full combo off. Right now I'm using the Cera, but I don't know if I should switch to another option.
I finally got my second Dire Blastheart and used it to upgrade my Gravecannon. At first my built for it was Normal Up, Fleet Feet, Challenger+2, and Critical Eye+2 until I found out that Peak Perfomance doesn't stack with Challenger. So if I'm keep being stubborn and try to mix my set around Sororal pieces for its Fleet Feet, which mean I must ditch Challenger+2, I can get these skill set with my current charms:

Set 1: Normal Up, Fleet Feet, Critical God
Set 2: Normal Up, Fleet Feet, Attack Up XL

Livid Grisscannon already have natural 15% affinity, so Critical God could ramp that up to a whooping 45%. But Attack Up XL gives more persistent damage bonus. I don't understand the damage equation so I could asked is an opinion from fellow gunner which one is the best.

I don't know if it just me, but it seems that Diablos become much smaller in MH4U as well.
The Attack Up XL set is most likely better. Typically affinity up is less useful on weapons with positive affinity.

Congrats!

49 out of 50 minutes, you must have really been feeling the pressure there. How did you manage it, what was your setup?
I used my Empress X set for the mechanic skill it has (speed setup + bomb boost) and I gemmed in tremor res and forgot to gem out destroyer. Oh and I used the seregios great sword for this since even though I have the daora GS it's not ready for prime time yet.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Diablos was a walk over in MH3U as well. You can basically lock them down with a few Sonic bombs, pitfalls and flash bombs until it keels over. That hasn't changed. Still one of my favourite monsters though.

Shengar

The Attack Up XL set is most likely better. Typically affinity up is less useful on weapons with positive affinity.
Ah yes, thanks for the opinion.
Diablos was a walk over in MH3U as well. You can basically lock them down with a few Sonic bombs, pitfalls and flash bombs until it keels over. That hasn't changed. Still one of my favourite monsters though.

Of course you could do that, but what I'm talking about is when you can't do it. Either from the lack of Sonic Bombs, or Diablos is locked in almost permanent rage state where sonic bombs can't be used.

From what I've gathered, the Ukanlos/Akantor/Grisblade are the main contenders. Grisblade apparently does more damage if you can get a full combo off. Right now I'm using the Cera, but I don't know if I should switch to another option.

I can tell you right now the Akantor is garbage on its own. You're basically playing with green sharpness the entire time. Sharpness+1 gives you a sliver of blue... I guess if you had Critical God or something you could make that affinity work in your favor. But you'd better have Steady Hand/Mind's Eye to keep from bouncing off.

tariniel

Can anyone explain food skills like Moxie? When I eat for moxie, sometimes I don't get it. When I have moxie, sometimes it doesn't work and I'll die without being saved. It's pretty frustrating, especially since I try to eat for it in every quest now (just hit G3). I mean, I've still not failed any quests because of Moxie not working, but I just don't understand how it works.

Also, I'm convinced some of the drop chances for items on Kiranico is just wrong. It says 80% chance to get a stouthorn for breaking Diablos horns, I've killed it 5 times breaking both horns and haven't got any.

Lastly, is it possible to get Monoblos/White Moboblos GQ's and do them online with friends? I've heard conflicting reports about this monster in specific.

Leezard

I can tell you right now the Akantor is garbage on its own. You're basically playing with green sharpness the entire time. Sharpness+1 gives you a sliver of blue... I guess if you had Critical God or something you could make that affinity work in your favor. But you'd better have Steady Hand/Mind's Eye to keep from bouncing off.

The interesting part is that at green sharpness the Akantor sword has the same damage as the Grisblade at white sharpness, and at blue sharpness the Akantor sword has more damage than the Grisblade at purple sharpness. This is taking affinity into account.

green vs white:
420.75 vs 420.75
blue vs purple:
467.5 vs 459

I'm using this as a reference, though it does not take sharpness+1 into account so I had to calculate that manually.

The bouncing is definitely a problem though, and is the reason I haven't bothered crafting it.

Shengar

Can anyone explain food skills like Moxie? When I eat for moxie, sometimes I don't get it. When I have moxie, sometimes it doesn't work and I'll die without being saved. It's pretty frustrating, especially since I try to eat for it in every quest now (just hit G3). I mean, I've still not failed any quests because of Moxie not working, but I just don't understand how it works.

Also, I'm convinced some of the drop chances for items on Kiranico is just wrong. It says 80% change to get a stouthorn for breaking Diablos horns, I've killed it 5 times breaking both horns and haven't got any.

Lastly, is it possible to get Monoblos/White Moboblos GQ's and do them online with friends? I've heard conflicting reports about this monster in specific.

I think Moxie have the same requirement as Guts to be activated: you need 60HP or above for it to prevent any supposedly lethal damage from killing you, otherwise it wouldn't work.

As for Diablos horn, is it Twisted Stouthorn or Diablos Hardhorn that you actually mean? The former is a common drop that you can easily received from quest reward where Black Diablos have her own version, while the latter is much like mantle drop to both Diablos and Black Diablos, albeit with much bigger drop percentage. Supposedly it's because you need to destroy both horn, a very hard feat to accomplish without the whole team deliberately tried to destroyed it.

And about Monoblos, no, I think they are single player exclusive. You can't try to search it in the online lobby as their name isn't even listed there. Any people who fought them online is probably playing a hacked quest.

The interesting part is that at green sharpness the Akantor sword has the same damage as the Grisblade at white sharpness, and at blue sharpness the Akantor sword has more damage than the Grisblade at purple sharpness. This is taking affinity into account.

green vs white:
420.75 vs 420.75
blue vs purple:
467.5 vs 459

I'm using this as a reference, though it does not take sharpness+1 into account so I had to calculate that manually.

The bouncing is definitely a problem though, and is the reason I haven't bothered crafting it.

Oh right, I forgot that damage calculation is a mess. But yeah, I'm not sure there's a way to put Mind's Eye into an optimal GS build.

Is that sheet for M4U? I don't see any of the Gore swords listed.

Prisoner

Ugh, I'm sick of randoms.

Deliberately attacking a monster while you're mounting it, deliberately attacking the second monster in the arena when you're using smoke bombs, coming into your room after you've picked a quest and picking their own, etc.

Leezard

Oh right, I forgot that damage calculation is a mess. But yeah, I'm not sure there's a way to put Mind's Eye into an optimal GS build.

Is that sheet for M4U? I don't see any of the Gore swords listed.

It's for MH4G, so some name translations are messed up but all weapons in MH4U should be present. On the sorted page, next to the bottom is the Chaos Gore GS. You can identify it by its raw, elemental damage and slots.

The Gore sword L'Origine appears as "The Origin" in the list. At purple sharpness it has 401.76 damage, including affinity. It's quite a bit lower than the other end-game weapons.

Right now I'm leaning towards a

Quick Sheath
Crit Draw
Sharpness+1
Focus
Critical Eye +2

build for Ukanlos sword. It seems potent enough, but I'm still slightly discouraged by the sharpness.

PrankT

Cera, Ukanlos, Rogue Sedition, Grisblade are the top contenders. I like Ukanlos the best, but use Cera because I need the extra decoration slot for my set. Rogue Sedition is nice since you don't need sharpness and Grisblade is unique with Blast.

Ugh, I'm sick of randoms.

Deliberately attacking a monster while you're mounting it, deliberately attacking the second monster in the arena when you're using smoke bombs, coming into your room after you've picked a quest and picking their own, etc.

Randoms are such a mixed bag. Sometimes you'll get awesome ones and other times you get the bottom of the barrel.

Prisoner

Randoms are such a mixed bag. Sometimes you'll get awesome ones and other times you get the bottom of the barrel.

I was doing the Three Virtues quest and this guy just stopped playing in the middle of fighting Kirin; he was completely still in the middle of the arena (not that he was contributing much to begin with). He carted of course, and immediately came back into the arena only to cart a minute later. He never apologized. (Another player carted shortly after; we never even made it to Rajang).

I think the high rank event quests should have minimum requirement of HR7. Though I suppose there would still be people with terrible gear and little understanding of the game who had been carried by other players.

I was doing the Three Virtues quest and this guy just stopped playing in the middle of fighting Kirin; he was completely still in the middle of the arena (not that he was contributing much to begin with). He carted of course, and immediately came back into the arena only to cart a minute later. He never apologized. (Another player carted shortly after; we never even made it to Rajang).

I think the high rank event quests should have minimum requirement of HR7. Though I suppose there would still be people with terrible gear and little understanding of the game who had been carried by other players.

Was he french? :p

Leezard

Cera, Ukanlos, Rogue Sedition, Grisblade are the top contenders. I like Ukanlos the best, but use Cera because I need the extra decoration slot for my set. Rogue Sedition is nice since you don't need sharpness and Grisblade is unique with Blast.

Ah, so Rogue is up there as well? Interesting. I'll probably give my Ukanlos set a try.

Mzo

Isn't the shitty sharpness on the Ukanlos GS an issue? I'm mainly using an attack honed Cera symmetry and have a backup Rogue Sedition for the basically infinite purple sharpness.

PrankT

Isn't the shitty sharpness on the Ukanlos GS an issue? I'm mainly using an attack honed Cera symmetry and have a backup Rogue Sedition for the basically infinite purple sharpness.
It will bounce if you hit a hard spot, but the goal is to not hit hard spots anyway. From what I recall, the high raw makes it a little stronger on draw attack, whereas the Cera gets an edge when you combo.

Who decided that if you put down a trap, you're not allowed to put down another trap ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE MAP until it goes off.

That's absolute horseshit.

PKrockin

Haha perfect.
I play with randoms every night so have approximately a 92% chance of playing with French guys, gonna set this tonight :p
Yeah, I often play in the wee hours of the morning in the States, so I constantly get French guys. Last night I helped a nice group of three through HR6 keys and their urgents, using Google Translate to communicate. lol

Okay I really need that armor. Its not out yet for the US right?

Edit:
Looking at the materials needed I believe I have everything for it but the special tickets...

Riposte

Doing ranked urgent Gore Magala solo was quite the challenge, but I'm glad to have done it. It is just he hits so damn hard (once you are infected, I suppose).

Upgrading is still a pain in the ass, but at least doing offline and ranked together makes the investment more worthwhile.

Renoir

10-1233-2803-1624
Haven't played for a bit, and found my self with a bit of free time today. Can any one help me play catch up?
I'm on HR5, I'm rocking a mix of gore and gore s.
Thank you

Top Bottom