• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Just made Garuga S for Razor Sharp and HG Earplugs, and I look like a silly purple thing. At least I like purple. >.>;;;

How do I get Green Plesioth stuff? Does he appear in the fishing thing like normal Plesioth, and when?

tuffy

Just made Garuga S for Razor Sharp and HG Earplugs, and I look like a silly purple thing. At least I like purple. >.>;;;

How do I get Green Plesioth stuff? Does he appear in the fishing thing like normal Plesioth, and when?
There's a G1 advanced quest "Chumming the Waters" that unlocks Green Plesioth. Once the quest is done he'll start showing up randomly at the fishing machine instead of regular Plesioth.

Wanderer5

Grrrr that Silver Rathalos *10 quest. What a pain to fight solo and my cats felt so useless for the most part. I especially hate that they don't help at all if you're pinned down, and just stand there doing jack.

PKrockin

There's a G1 advanced quest "Chumming the Waters" that unlocks Green Plesioth. Once the quest is done he'll start showing up randomly at the fishing machine instead of regular Plesioth.
It can't be random... damn near every single time I go on 5+ hunts without visiting the island, as soon as I return Green Plesioth is right there on the first net.

Always have dung bombs.
I'm imagining a scenario where you're hunting a Seltas Queen and cart to the Seltas because it pinned you and you didn't have dung bombs. lol. Always bring dung bombs.

Quadratic

Thanks Stylo, Wolfe and Sassy. The rusted Kashala wasn't what I needed but we did a good job against it lol.

Feels good having a R10 armour set now.

Wolfe

I got caught up thinking about ice resist and forgot to bring a set with mind's eye, then I got mind's eye but didn't think to bring poison. Stupid daora.

Is there a way to see how many times I've fought a monster or attempted a mission?

Going on a week straight now fighting Brachydios for his gem. I cut the tail almost every time too. So frustrating.

The problem with playing with randoms is that sometimes it's the only way to hunt (in my case, I don't have a core group of people who can hunt when I'm online), but boy can they just be complete leechers or single handedly fail the hunt.

Hey folks, first time room maker. Anyone feel like helping me clear HR5's Urgent? Had a crew but everyone split up for a bit and I'm stuck behind gated content.

Hall:
03-7968-4122-1171

Pass: 4242

Thanks for the awesome thread!

jorgejjvr

Now that I finished the Master's Test and knowing my way around it, would you guys consider it worthwhile as using that quest as a fast way to grind Zenith Gems? You always get three gems, one of them is almost always at least a Zenith L (90% for Jho), and the other two are kind of 50/50 (60% Zenith, 40% Zenith L). If you get an abundance of Unneeded L's you can just use them to meld more regular Zenith. What are your thoughts? It's something you can solo, and efficient since you get 3 stones.

-Alternis

Renoir

Thank you to those who came to help me advance.I'm truly greatful for making this much progress in that short amount of time

Prototype

Off line Expeditions allow you to cart multiple times,  using sets with fortify and /or adrenaline +2 is really nice,  and makes G Rank Expeditions go by pretty quickly.  

I just use the Brachydios X set,  and gem in fortify along with crit draw (the set comes with 6 points of it already, pefect for GS)  which gives  me:

Challenger +2
Adrenaline +2 
Critical Draw
Bombardier 
Fortify 

I don't even bring potions with me, since it doesn't matter how many time you die,  and with this set up you'll grow more powerful.  

With adrenaline and fortify running + other buffs I'm running 2900± attack and 1000+ defense.  Level 3 crit draws will stagger or knock over most monsters every single time. 

If your going for 5 kills in an expedition, e.g. You want more double monster quests,  I think this is a good way to go about but YMMV.   Something to consider in any case,  it's stupid fun lol, and let's you practice adrenaline with no consequences. 

I usually set my palicos to "support"  when I do tbis.  They heal less often, they set traps, hut most useful is they can act as autotracker for you and show you where the monsters are.  Helpful for not getting  caught in an expedition for 45+ mins.  You could always just bring psycho serum, but I don't have easy access to the mats for them atm.  

Anyway,  hope that helps someone. Not rare knowledge or anything, but something for someone to try out if they haven't.

Eat for felyne foodie (milk+milk)  this will keep your health and stamina up

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Really enjoying the Shinobi Sky set. 489 defense after some upgrading, Evade +2, Evade Extender, and Elem Atk Up (after gemming), and it looks great too. Hopefully I can find a better Evade talisman soon. Evade +3 would be great to have.

Farming Fatalis five times for Accolade Gs was a huge pain though. :lol

Shengar

Anyway,  hope that helps someone. Not rare knowledge or anything, but something for someone to try out if they haven't.

Eat for felyne foodie (milk+milk)  this will keep your health and stamina up
Great, a post that will finally make me to choose blademaster over gunner for my Brachydium set.
Thanks for the information though. I have thought about Fortify and Expedition for a long time but I always forgot to test them.

Shengar

How do I check to see how close I am to getting my rainbow guild card? I keep reading you need g special and 370 quests.
See how much gold checklist you have on your quests. It took me 1-9* Caravan Quests and 1-6* Gathering Hall Quests when finally I got my Rainbow Card while I'm trying to finish the rest if 7* quests.

Thank goodness for wifi hotspot. I am back online... And my rando group 3x carted to Zinogre.

Edit: Well my phone's WiFi hotspot worked for that one quest...

Wanderer5

Another 3-4 rounds at brachy and course still no pallium. RNGesus doesn't want me to make this set and upgrade the dios CB lol.

Well I been getting better with going to charged slash quicker with X+A combo.

Ugh, that the best armor for HR Hammer users is the fucking Velociprey S set is incredibly disappointing. I was really hoping for a visual change! :(

co1onel

Increased evade distance is weird for a lance user.

I don't like it. It's good for getting to the monster faster, but you miss too many pokes due to back/side hopping out of range. Plus with the new long backhop in this game you can still backhop further without evade distance.

redcrayon

The problem with playing with randoms is that sometimes it's the only way to hunt (in my case, I don't have a core group of people who can hunt when I'm online), but boy can they just be complete leechers or single handedly fail the hunt.
Absolutely true, but sometimes you can bump into really capable hunters too. I was hunting for another Zenith Wyvern Gem L online last night and a random, HR300+ hunter turned up and probably did 3/4 of the damage on his own. What a hero!

redcrayon

I had a great hunt this morning, finally took down G3 apex Seregios solo. I was struggling to bring him down in the time limit on my previous attempt due to waiting for the Wystones to recharge and also spending too much time blocking, but it turns out the best way forward (as is often the case in MH) was all-out attack.

I took mega dash juice to stop the massive stamina depletion of blocking his projectiles and multiple air kicks. It was also to help me stay on top of him as he moves around so fast, and the window to get some good combos on him is that you need to be heading (or even diving!) underneath him when he prepares to fling his projectiles. His legs seem to be a weak spot, as I wasn't bouncing too much even without Drive, so I mercilessly stabbed him in the foot until he went down.

When he dropped out of Apex, i even managed to mount him, and the best part was he gave up a Zenith Wyvern Gem L, two seregios lens and a Conqueror's Seal. My Sedition lance isn't too far away now!

Seems like he was immune to my cat's special move in Apex, as well as traps. Dung bombs were essential though, he tried to maul me four times. I also used Lv 2 Force/Drive Wystones, paintballs, mosswine jerky, an ancient potion, two max potions, a demondrug and three disposable earplugs, in addition to cool drinks, potions, mega potions, whetstones, three farcasters (built on the fly) etc etc.

All in all, it took a shade under thirty minutes, and I was on my last life too. Epic battle. :D What I love about MH is that every time I think I've reached the cap in my ability to progress solo, I persevere, change tactics and kit, and eventually push forwards. I'm using the full range of consumables far more than I ever did in Tri, probably down to the massive range of monsters needing different approaches.

jorgejjvr

I had a great hunt this morning, finally took down G3 apex Seregios solo. I was struggling to bring him down in the time limit on my previous attempt due to waiting for the Wystones to recharge and also spending too much time blocking, but it turns out the best way forward (as is often the case in MH) was all-out attack.

I took mega dash juice to stop the massive stamina depletion of blocking his projectiles and multiple air kicks. It was also to help me stay on top of him as he moves around so fast, and the window to get some good combos on him is that you need to be heading (or even diving!) underneath him when he prepares to fling his projectiles. His legs seem to be a weak spot, as I wasn't bouncing too much even without Drive, so I mercilessly stabbed him in the foot until he went down.

When he dropped out of Apex, i even managed to mount him, and the best part was he gave up a Zenith Wyvern Gem L, two seregios lens and a Conqueror's Seal. My Sedition lance isn't too far away now!

Seems like he was immune to my cat's special move in Apex, as well as traps. Dung bombs were essential though, he tried to maul me four times. I also used Lv 2 Force/Drive Wystones, paintballs, mosswine jerky, an ancient potion, two max potions, a demondrug and three disposable earplugs, in addition to cool drinks, potions, mega potions, whetstones, three farcasters (built on the fly) etc etc.

All in all, it took a shade under thirty minutes, and I was on my last life too. Epic battle. :D What I love about MH is that every time I think I've reached the cap in my ability to progress solo, I persevere, change tactics and kit, and eventually push forwards. I'm using the full range of consumables far more than I ever did in Tri, probably down to the massive range of monsters needing different approaches.

If you're seeking an even more difficult challenge to solo, I recommend that you do all of the high rank village quests (or all village quests, I forgot) to unlock "The Master's Test" in which you must hunt an Apex Seregios, Apex Diablos, and a Apex Deviljho in an arena by yourself (and their damage is still G rank Apex damage) . You must fight two at a time, the first you kill being replaced by deviljho. Do you think this is a quest you can handle? I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

-Alternis

redcrayon

If you're seeking an even more difficult challenge to solo, I recommend that you do all of the high rank village quests (or all village quests, I forgot) to unlock "The Master's Test" in which you must hunt an Apex Seregios, Apex Diablos, and a Apex Deviljho in an arena by yourself (and their damage is still G rank Apex damage) . You must fight two at a time, the first you kill being replaced by deviljho. Do you think this is a quest you can handle? I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

-Alternis

My only remaining obstacle in Caravan before reaching that is Bad Hair Rajang- I just can't seem to beat him. Even with tremor res, stun res, etc etc, he's so fast and hits so hard that it's a real struggle. I've also been unlucky in that, after finding hundreds of enduring charms, I still don't have a decent tremor res one. I'd love a +7 or so for fighting Deviljho and Rajang, otherwise I practically have to remove all of my other skills for tremor res, or rely on Guard-up instead which isn't quite as effective when your opponent is moving quickly and you're needing to be moving as well as well as guarding. I prefer Guard-up for Gravios and his gas attacks/tremor though.

To be honest, I make no claims at being any good at MH even after 500 hours in Tri and 4G. I succeed only through tenacity, experimentation and hard-won experience rather than the superhuman reactions and skill I see online, so my learning curve feels a bit slow compared to the pros I see online! Maybe I'm just getting old. The Master's Test sounds like it's a bit above my hunter skill level at the moment, but hey, that's what I said about G3 Seregios last week :D

I have to say though, I think Mega Dash Juice is very good for lancers relying on the shield in late game who don't always have the openings to be sheathing weapons, and also for anyone caught in a lengthy arena fight. It lasts for ages. I know that everyone says that 'evade lancing' is the way forward (hell, I've tried it, it is!), but I'm an old-fashioned combatant in that if you give me a shield, I like to use it. :)

For arena battles and tough hunts, the other thing I do is take ten exciteshrooms and ten bomb casings so I can make a new farcaster whenever I use one, and I have it set as a touch shortcut as my emergency escape button. I don't know if that's 'cheesing it' or just smart hunting, but it's saved my hide so many times.

Does the fight take place in the arena with the switches to bring down a portcullis to separate off parts of it? That would be key to that battle, I think. I was part of a quest online where we locked one player in with a frenzied beast and then all clapped and cheered him as he fought it alone for five minutes, it was hilarious :D

Really enjoying the Shinobi Sky set. 489 defense after some upgrading, Evade +2, Evade Extender, and Elem Atk Up (after gemming), and it looks great too. Hopefully I can find a better Evade talisman soon. Evade +3 would be great to have.

Farming Fatalis five times for Accolade Gs was a huge pain though. :lol

Curious, why not make the EX Escadora set? You'd get evade distance and Arcana built in, and gem in the Evade pretty easily with all those slots/a charm.

Edit: I didn't realize that almost every part of the Escadora requires G rare material drops. That would probably be why you haven't made that set.

Tom_Cody

One of things I have enjoyed the most about being an archer is having a robust arsenal of bows, so I can tailor my weapon selection very specifically for each monster. Beyond raw and element, there are also charge levels and shot types (which have different effective ranges and shot distributions) to consider. I have made it my personal goal to collect every bow as I progress through the game, and have made use of most of them.

For the most part this has worked out fine. But every once in a while there is a bow that requires a gem/plate/jasper, and that is when I become my own worst enemy. Why are there 2% drops?! Ugh!!! I have hunted 20+ high rank Zinogres and no Jasper yet. And I need a Brach Gem for my next upgrade on that line.

Those are both bows that I want to be using at this point in the game, but I really need to force myself to move on. God damn it.

redcrayon

One of things I have enjoyed the most about being an archer is having a robust arsenal of bows, so I can tailor my weapon selection very specifically for each monster. Beyond raw and element, there are also charge levels and shot types (which have different effective ranges and shot distributions) to consider. I have made it my personal goal to collect every bow as I progress through the game, and have made use of most of them.

For the most part this has worked out fine. But every once in a while there is a bow that requires a gem/plate/jasper, and that is when I become my own worst enemy. Why are there 2% drops?! Ugh!!! I have hunted 20+ high rank Zinogres and no Jasper yet. And I need a Brach Gem for my next upgrade on that line.

Those are both bows that I want to be using at this point in the game, but I really need to force myself to move on. God damn it.

I often find with the 2% drops that in the time you spend hunting 20+ monsters for them, you could have advanced through a dozen other quests to the point where better materials/weapons are available. I hear you on making everything though- I have about 25 lances, only two of which are relics. The others are where I've made/bought a duplicate whenever an upgrade path split. It's been really handy as when an upgrade required something super-rare that wasn't dropping and I wasn't having fun grinding it, I just switched sideways to a different path for a bit. The rare stuff always seems to drop for me when i'm not looking specifically for it in monster hunter, so if I've learned anything, it's that you're better off just enjoying the journey as there's always new content and fresh hunts around the corner, rather than thinking the game owes you a rare drop. The desire sensor is a mean bastard :)

I got a reasonably OK beshackled weapon (but not great sharpness) early on after levelling up a guild quest to 140, but after a dozen hours of farming them, I still haven't found anything better. I could have spent that dozen hours actually hunting monsters rather than mining. I guess the anticipation is part of the fun, but I find there's a thin line in a loot game between the randomness offering fun stuff you want to experiment with, and just endless piles of trash. It always feels ridiculous that a young hunter armed with a stick and wearing just his pants might see me filling my rubbish bin with a dozen rarity 9 ancient weapons of serious power, just because they are a bit useless compared to what else I have!

daxy

Ukanlos's lock on dive and OHKO beam are fucking bullshit.

And exhale.

I really hate the cheap attacks on some of these monsters. It's especially jarring because the damn snake urgent before this one had the same cheap tricks.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

And exhale.

I really hate the cheap attacks on some of these monsters. It's especially jarring because the damn snake urgent before this one had the same cheap tricks.
Those Ukanlos attacks are the easiest to dodge. It's understandable that you fail on your first try. These cheap attacks have HUGE windups so just learn.

redcrayon

Uka's worst attack his his charging through the ice. Can't outrun it, and if you cut it at the wrong angle, you end up crashing into him as he turns.
Yeah, he can hit you multiple times with it too, that's what used to catch me out. Getting caught once just meant death. After you fight him a couple of times he becomes easy due to his major attacks having long 'tells' beforehand though.

tuffy

And exhale.

His under-the-ice bouncing charge isn't too hard to avoid by continuing to circle around to his backside, so long as your stamina holds out and you can avoid the ice chunks he sends up.

The ice beam's not too hard to avoid by staying behind him or to the sides. Though it's gotten me before as I was in the process of trying to run behind him, which is typically a OHKO for the extra hard G rank version.

redcrayon

And exhale.

It's only OHKO if your defence is really low and you get hit. You can dive through it, block it with skills, evade it, hide from it, use a farcaster to teleport out as it winds up. If you are getting killed straight off maybe you need to make a higher armour set for that fight. If anything in MH is really tough, experimentation usually finds the answer, a lot of the monsters are tough on the first go. I used to find Silver Rath's homing claw strike really annoying, until I realised I was too busy running away to spend time looking at him to the prior animation (he kinda hovers in the sky, looking at you) that says he's about to do it. Eyes on the monster. :D

It's made tougher online when often some of your team are experiencing it for the first time, and you've just got your head around it. I understand the frustration there, but I haven't seen much I'd call 'cheap' as those attacks are telegraphed and avoidable. By the time you hit G3 gunners are on OHKO from virtually everything!

Top Bottom