• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

redcrayon

I wouldn't call Ukanlos cheap as long as Yian Garuga and Molten Tigrex's 4 turns charge exist.
I think the moves players find tough to deal with often depend on the weapons they are using. Natural inclination to min/max and just focus on one weapon for hundreds of hours removes 90% of a hunter's options. In particular slower weapons vs faster creatures can be a tough one if hunters reverse to diversify their armoury.

Part of the beauty of MH is that, if you've spent enough time grinding materials for one type weapon, you've also got the bits to make high-level weaponry for several more, and might even have just the right rare materials to make even better weaponry of a type you wouldn't normally use but just haven't realised. Player's just seem to get locked into the mindset that they are a weapon type, not a hunter. I know I did for ages, but getting my head around greatsword and bow in addition to my lances really opened the game up for me. Some monsters are much, much easier to fight with one weapon than another.

Tom_Cody

I often find with the 2% drops that in the time you spend hunting 20+ monsters for them, you could have advanced through a dozen other quests to the point where better materials/weapons are available. I hear you on making everything though- I have about 25 lances, only two of which are relics. The others are where I've made/bought a duplicate whenever an upgrade path split. It's been really handy as when an upgrade required something super-rare that wasn't dropping and I wasn't having fun grinding it, I just switched sideways to a different path for a bit. The rare stuff always seems to drop for me when i'm not looking specifically for it in monster hunter, so if I've learned anything, it's that you're better off just enjoying the journey as there's always new content and fresh hunts around the corner, rather than thinking the game owes you a rare drop. The desire sensor is a mean bastard :)

I got a reasonably OK beshackled weapon (but not great sharpness) early on after levelling up a guild quest to 140, but after a dozen hours of farming them, I still haven't found anything better. I could have spent that dozen hours actually hunting monsters rather than mining. I guess the anticipation is part of the fun, but I find there's a thin line in a loot game between the randomness offering fun stuff you want to experiment with, and just endless piles of trash. It always feels ridiculous that a young hunter armed with a stick and wearing just his pants might see me filling my rubbish bin with a dozen rarity 9 ancient weapons of serious power, just because they are a bit useless compared to what else I have!
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that I " could have advanced through a dozen other quests" versus grinding 20 Zinogres. When repeating missions, completion times plummet as you perfect your tactics for the monster. Not to mention that your load-out/meal have been determined already, so you can just continually jump into the hunts. There's also a certain feeling of accomplishment to totally mastering a monster.

That said, I realize that I'm being my own worst enemy here. I just can't help myself. Also, this is only my single player activity that I'm describing here. On nights that I have totally free, I play online. And when I play online my behavior is totally different. The farming just comes up during my lunch break or when I try to sneak in a hunt every once in a while on my commute home.

redcrayon

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that I " could have advanced through a dozen other quests" versus grinding 20 Zinogres. When repeating missions, completion times plummet as you perfect your tactics for the monster. Not to mention that your load-out/meal have been determined already, so you can just continually jump into the hunts. There's also a certain feeling of accomplishment to totally mastering a monster.

That said, I realize that I'm being my own worst enemy here. I just can't help myself. Also, this is only my single player activity that I'm describing here. On nights that I have totally free, I play online. And when I play online my behavior is totally different. The farming just comes up during my lunch break or when I try to sneak in a hunt every once in a while on my commute home.
Fair enough, I definitely agree on mastering a monster as you get your head around a quest. I'm also being an utter hypocrit after grinding out 23 Seregios for a lens. Bloody hilarious that my G3 apex Seregios then drops 2 as if they are going out of fashion :D

I spend my commute mainly doing expeditions and farming, as I find it a bit easier than a hunt where I'm trying to keep track of everything while watching the clock and trying not to miss my stop.

tuffy

Fair enough, I definitely agree on mastering a monster as you get your head around a quest. I'm also being an utter hypocrit after grinding out 23 Seregios for a lens. Bloody hilarious that my G3 apex Seregios then drops 2 as if they are going out of fashion :D
Between the better head break odds and better body carve odds, I wound up with more lenses than an optometrist just farming Apex Seregios for the Zenith Stones.

redcrayon

Between the better head break odds and better body carve odds, I wound up with more lenses than an optometrist just farming Apex Seregios for the Zenith Stones.
How do you farm him? My G3 quest seems to have disappeared since I finished it, is there a guild quest or something instead?

Faiz

Ukanlos's lock on dive and OHKO beam are fucking bullshit.

And exhale.

I really hate the cheap attacks on some of these monsters. It's especially jarring because the damn snake urgent before this one had the same cheap tricks.

I really feel like the only cheap attacks are ones that combo you with a tremor or wind that keeps you from moving, and a big attack like a fireball. And even those have ways to prevent or mitigate them - it's up to you whether or not you prepare for them.

Really, every new monster you fight has attacks that can be decried as cheap... Until you lean how to deal with them. That learning process is one of the things that really engrosses people in the game.

Pila

I think I'm gonna forge the Narga long sword for my Daora hunt. I haven't spent time with the LS in 4U, any big changes from 3U?

I miss you Narga </3 please be back in the next game.

tuffy

How do you farm him? My G3 quest seems to have disappeared since I finished it, is there a guild quest or something instead?
1,001 Shards is an advanced quest which randomly comes and goes. If it's not available, just do one of the Harvest Tours and abandon right away to reset your list of quests.

Rawk Hawk

All this Uka talk, I'm prepping for G3 runs on him for Uka-Uka-U armor, have hte Teo parts I need just need Uka. I'm still using Regios X which has negative ice, need to figure out if I should eat for Ice Res or if I can get away with Defender to help with all his attacks.. unfortunately there is really only one way to know for sure if I can get OHKO'd by the beam.

Can defender trigger on element attacks as well? I can't think of the top of my head if I ever remember the chiming sound when I've been beamed by something.

Tom_Cody

I spend my commute mainly doing expeditions and farming, as I find it a bit easier than a hunt where I'm trying to keep track of everything while watching the clock and trying not to miss my stop.

Good to know. I'm going to need one of those eventually for the final Seregios Bow upgrade.

tuffy

Can defender trigger on element attacks as well? I can't think of the top of my head if I ever remember the chiming sound when I've been beamed by something.
Felyne Defender absolutely can trigger on elemental attacks. I wouldn't count on its damage reduction saving you from that beam if your ice resistance very negative, though. Probably better to eat for ice resistance instead.

redcrayon

All this Uka talk, I'm prepping for G3 runs on him for Uka-Uka-U armor, have hte Teo parts I need just need Uka. I'm still using Regios X which has negative ice, need to figure out if I should eat for Ice Res or if I can get away with Defender to help with all his attacks.. unfortunately there is really only one way to know for sure if I can get OHKO'd by the beam.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't count on a random chance to save you when you need it. Maybe you'd be better off with the skill that stops you fainting when you get hit for a lot of health? Can't remember it's name off hand.

Rawk Hawk

Yea I will probably eat for those, has anyone evade lanced him? Can you hop through his tunneling charge? Would be pretty cool if you could turn away and back hop right through him, although I'm thinking that might not work.

Shengar

The spirit meter sucks now?
The feedback when you weapon hit monsters body much worse than that. I barely feel making any damage despite having just execute whole spirit combo uninterrupted. Either Capcom need to give bigger sfx sound to LS or Nintendo stop being cheap with their sound chip.

redcrayon

Yea I will probably eat for those, has anyone evade lanced him? Can you hop through his tunneling charge? Would be pretty cool if you could turn away and back hop right through him, although I'm thinking that might not work.
Heh, I tried that, it doesn't work, he still counts as a physical object rather than an attack, so you can't move through him. You can hop through all the ice and boulders though, so having evasion skills does help.

I don't like it. It's good for getting to the monster faster, but you miss too many pokes due to back/side hopping out of range. Plus with the new long backhop in this game you can still backhop further without evade distance.

I had trouble adjusting to the longer backhop with the skill. I kept getting out of range so I started doing more sidehops to continue the offensive. I want to farm Mega Dash Juice so I can really start moving around the map without worrying about Stamina.

tariniel

Ukanlos's lock on dive and OHKO beam are fucking bullshit.

And exhale.

I really hate the cheap attacks on some of these monsters. It's especially jarring because the damn snake urgent before this one had the same cheap tricks.

By 'lock on dive' I assume you mean where he goes underground and chases you around until you get hit?

It takes a bit to learn how to evade that move. The first few times I fought him I was fucking pissed because it seemed like it was just guaranteed damage. After fighting him enough times you can figure out ways around it. The most reliable for me is, once I know I'm the target and sheathing my weapon, to let it get really close and then do a U turn/circle and run the opposite way past him. He will either select another target (sometimes you again), or just come out of the ground.

This is for the high rank version though, I haven't fought G yet and maybe it's harder there?

I can say that playing my Seregios horn for the infinite stamina helps immensely in that fight.

If there was one with Negate Stamina Use and Earplugs, I think Uka would be a true chump. Actually that brings up a thought, does HG Earplugs prevent the damage from his/ak's rearing up roar?

tuffy

I can say that playing my Seregios horn for the infinite stamina helps immensely in that fight.

If there was one with Negate Stamina Use and Earplugs, I think Uka would be a true chump. Actually that brings up a thought, does HG Earplugs prevent the damage from his/ak's rearing up roar?
None of the Earplugs skills or effects prevent damage from certain roars if you're too close. They're all limited to stopping the "covering your ears" animation from happening.

upandaway

Hopefully going to do the HR6-7 urgent if anyone wants to come in

16-3682-1066-0311 - 1111

If you come in and we're in a quest it's just a quick arena, we'll be out in a sec

Edit: Thanks Mael-man! HR7 now~ we're still around if anyone wants to join

These 7 star quests are SCARY AS HELL HOLY CRAP

Brutalx2

Hopefully going to do the HR6-7 urgent if anyone wants to come in

16-3682-1066-0311 - 1111

If you come in and we're in a quest it's just a quick arena, we'll be out in a sec

Edit: Thanks Mael-man! HR7 now~ we're still around if anyone wants to join

These 7 star quests are SCARY AS HELL HOLY CRAP

Let's do rajang!! come on!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wish it were possible to trade high-rank ores for low-rank ones, like iron ore or earth crystals. I'm starting to run low on both and really don't want to spend time farming low rank for them (damn worn weapons, taking 100 earth crystals to upgrade).

Ohnonono

Does anyone mind giving me a decent upgrade path for Hammer? Assume I am playing the single player stuff only for now. Last time I played I aimed for the Nargakuga bat thingy hammer and ended up with that, but things seem to have changed a bit. Thanks for the help!

Leezard

Does anyone mind giving me a decent upgrade path for Hammer? Assume I am playing the single player stuff only for now. Last time I played I aimed for the Nargakuga bat thingy hammer and ended up with that, but things seem to have changed a bit. Thanks for the help!

It depends on where you are, but in early HR you can get Potio Boccolo which is an amazing hammer at the time.

I actually participated in this one with a GAF crew and survived, which I had not expected given my lack of Rajang hunting experience.

Turns out that once knocked out of Apex status, a few pitfall traps go a long way.

Oh yeah, with GAF you'll never fail.

I like how my cats found a Kut-Ku scale even though we were on a G expedition and there was no Kut-Ku to be found. And I finally found enough fragments to make the Artian X set.

I need a S. Magala Phosgem, but I can't find how to fight against a HR S.Magala other than the event quest. Are the S.Magala quests one of those quests that only appears sometimes, like the Oroshi Kirin quest?

Iryx

I need a S. Magala Phosgem, but I can't find how to fight against a HR S.Magala other than the event quest. Are the S.Magala quests one of those quests that only appears sometimes, like the Oroshi Kirin quest?

High Rank Shagaru is the Urgent to go from Gathering Hall 6* to 7*, and it's an Advanced quest, so it wont always be there.

Leezard

I'm playing with someone who does that Sleep Charge blade strat. It would work great if not for the fact that one IG user awakens the monster with his bug.

edit: next try everything went fine and we killed jho really fast.

Should I even bother trying to make a fire and thunder IG considering the Rajang one needs awaken (or arcana) and the other options are behind Kirin or Fatalis and the Fire ones also locked behind unavailable monsters (The metal Raths)

Top Bottom