• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Tom_Cody

Does G Rank exist offline?

I had been taking my sweet time with Caravan 9 but I'm about to cross over into Caravan 10 and I can't help but wonder what is left of the single player mode. What is in the final Caravan tier? It looks like it is mostly sub-species and a few new monsters.

tuffy

Does G Rank exist offline?

I had been taking my sweet time with Caravan 9 but I'm about to cross over into Caravan 10 and I can't help but wonder what is left of the single player mode. What is in the final Caravan tier? It looks like it is mostly sub-species and a few new monsters.
There's about 20 G rank quests in the 10 star Caravan "postgame" tier. They all have defense balanced for a single player, but you'll need to have achieved various levels of G rank on the Guild side before they'll be available.

Tom_Cody

There's about 20 G rank quests in the 10 star Caravan "postgame" tier. They all have defense balanced for a single player, but you'll need to have achieved various levels of G rank on the Guild side before they'll be available.
Ok, so like the High Rank stuff in 6-Star.

Things are going to be very interesting from this point forward. I started out playing 100% offline, then shifted to 60/40 offline versus online, and now I'm at roughly 60/40 online versus offline. And I guess I will have to shift even further from here on out.

I feel like I have already played 1.5 games worth of content (with an even greater multiplier than that in terms of hours), and I'm not even into G yet. I now totally get why they split the Japanese release into 4 and then 4G a year later. I'm not burned out yet, but I might need a break after I close out High Rank.

Rawk Hawk

Recoil +2, Status +2 and Load Up seem to be the God's Arch set? Think this will be the first gunning gear I make to try out gunning. Still need 40ish earth crystals, so nothing I'll be doing today, but to the gunners here, is that accurate in what I would want for a status gunning set? Anything I'm missing?

Gunning is the one thing I have never really given a fair shake in MH, and it's time I rounded myself out.

tuffy

I've got so much left to do, even though my collection of unplayed games is getting uncomfortably large.

Finally got around to beating Bad Hair Day's Furious Rajang yesterday. But it took over 15 minutes and I went through a ton of healing items, so my performance was pretty dismal. Going to have to practice fighting him some more and maybe change up my tactics a little.

I've also got a big pile of high rank Guild quests to clear out. Been doing them solo in G rank gear, but some of the quests in the 7 star tier are liable to be a challenge.
Recoil +2, Status +2 and Load Up seem to be the God's Arch set?
Load Up and Recoil +2 are the big ones. Status +2 helps slightly, but it's nice if you can fit it in. Speed Setup and Bombardier also come in handy. The God's Arch is a really great support weapon, but bouncing between so many different shots is atypical for a gunner and takes some practice.

Faiz

Ok, so like the High Rank stuff in 6-Star.

Things are going to be very interesting from this point forward. I started out playing 100% offline, then shifted to 60/40 offline versus online, and now I'm at roughly 60/40 online versus offline. And I guess I will have to shift even further from here on out.

If it helps, G rank Elderhall is absolutely playable solo, if a bit more challenging. I'm 100% offline and G2, and not a terribly gifted player.

Rawk Hawk

I've got so much left to do, even though my collection of unplayed games is getting uncomfortably large.

Finally got around to beating Bad Hair Day's Furious Rajang yesterday. But it took over 15 minutes and I went through a ton of healing items, so my performance was pretty dismal. Going to have to practice fighting him some more and maybe change up my tactics a little.

I've also got a big pile of high rank Guild quests to clear out. Been doing them solo in G rank gear, but some of the quests in the 7 star tier are liable to be a challenge.

Load Up and Recoil +2 are the big ones. Status +2 helps slightly, but it's nice if you can fit it in. Speed Setup and Bombardier also come in handy. The God's Arch is a really great support weapon, but bouncing between so many different shots is atypical for a gunner and takes some practice.

Thanks Tuffy, my theory is I think if I can inflict status effects I will be helping even if my aim isn't the greatest yet. Allowing me to be a useful part of the hunt while also learning the play style. But something just crossed my mind that might ruin this idea.. I assume I'll be able to hit the monster, but maybe not accurately enough for good damage (ala in the face, back or wherever), but that status effects will work even if I hit armored parts. But, is that true? If my main goal is a status, does shot placement matter as much?

Also I'd be happy to clear out HR stuff with you, I've been doing the same, slowly soloing one or two a day to chip away at it.

tuffy

Thanks Tuffy, my theory is I think if I can inflict status effects I will be helping even if my aim isn't the greatest yet. Allowing me to be a useful part of the hunt while also learning the play style. But something just crossed my mind that might ruin this idea.. I assume I'll be able to hit the monster, but maybe not accurately enough for good damage (ala in the face, back or wherever), but that status effects will work even if I hit armored parts. But, is that true? If my main goal is a status, does shot placement matter as much?
It doesn't matter where you hit with status shots; as long as you hit at all they'll work just fine. With crag shots hitting the head matters if you're aiming for a KO. And with clust shots it's important to aim high to give the little bomblets room to fall (not recommended for group hunts since it'll also blast other players all over).
Also I'd be happy to clear out HR stuff with you, I've been doing the same, slowly soloing one or two a day to chip away at it.
That sounds like fun! Though as usual, it'll be about 8 hours from now before I'll be back with my 3DS.

Tom_Cody

If it helps, G rank Elderhall is absolutely playable solo, if a bit more challenging. I'm 100% offline and G2, and not a terribly gifted player.
I guess?

I'm an archer, so playing online solo just makes long fights take even longer.

I don't have any complaints against the game, I'm just getting a little burned out on it.

I always go with this: if you feel burned out/obligated to play the game through, it's probably a good idea to move on and try something fresh. It sucks to get burned out on a game because then you just start seeing the negatives over time, more than the positives. Plus grinding a monster over and over again can be extremely frustrating when you're looking for that one part. Change things up, take a break, come back fresh!

In a slightly related note, I discovered that when fighting Brachydios/Raging Brachydios, the IG's vault is actually high enough (with white essence) to clear their enraged explosions. So you look like a total badass as you vault up in the air over an explosion, either into his face for a jump attack or away from it with the blast going off behind you.

PrankT

I still enjoy the game, but the only equipment I need at this point are in 140 guild quests. Unfortunately, I find guild quests to be somewhat boring, particularly given the bland environment you play them in. Plus the drop rates on top tier beshackled items are so bad it's almost not worth bothering for unless you enjoy a particular monster. For me, the best way to put more life into it is to try a new weapon...which I need to start doing.

Shengar

bland enviroment combined with the fact that most people would only want to fight Rajang makes GQ pretty boring. There are other monsters available such S Zig or Brachy but I rarely see them when I'm filtered for "126+ GQ". Mostly it's Rajang, Deviljho, or Elder Dragons.

So, I made a full set of Regios X. Any suggestions for what to gem in? I'm a Charge Blade user. I've seen recommendations for Challenger. However, I already think I'm going to miss the HG earplugs of my Garuga S set.

I'm also all for turning it into a mix set, if anyone has suggestions there.

So, I made a full set of Regios X. Any suggestions for what to gem in? I'm a Charge Blade user. I've seen recommendations for Challenger. However, I already think I'm going to miss the HG earplugs of my Garuga S set.

I have a +5 Evasion charm that I use with most of the slots in the Regios X (as well as two slots on my weapons; Fulgent Demolisher for CB) to give me Evasion+3. You could probably gem in just about anything, but the evasion gems were pretty easy to make. A sharpness+1 build could also work wonders, but I don't have a great charm available to me right now for that.

Shengar

Well, it's depend on what charm you have. The number of gem slots pretty much gives you a very flexible room on what skill you could gem in.

Tom_Cody

Wow, the apex Seregios urgent caravan 9* > 10* was one of the easiest fights so far. He went down in like 5 mins and I only used a couple of potions. Didn't expect that at all.

Yeah, it's just an apex fight tutorial, right?

Seregios hits hard but goes down quick with a group, even the later quests.

Spent some time last night upgrading my friend's Velocidrome/Rajang guild quest up to the levels that matter 126+. Got some divine armor spheres and a whole lot of shit equipment and charms.
I was just doing this during my lunch break. Weird fight. It is very clearly not attacking you on purpose.

That said, it was still an annoying fight for the bow. I was never close to carting, but it took forever due to the bow's low DPS being a poor match for the wystone mechanic. Wystone's instantly make much more sense for multiplayer where, presumably, the fights won't just ground to a halt while waiting for a single wystone to recharge.

Now I understand why g-rank people get so annoyed about playing with people who haven't built up their Wyceum.

I have a +5 Evasion charm that I use with most of the slots in the Regios X (as well as two slots on my weapons; Fulgent Demolisher for CB) to give me Evasion+3. You could probably gem in just about anything, but the evasion gems were pretty easy to make. A sharpness+1 build could also work wonders, but I don't have a great charm available to me right now for that.

Is Evasion +3 really worth it over +2? I had +2 on my Garuga set, and I realllyyyy felt it was underwhelming. I wasn't dodging any better at all.

Iryx

Is Evasion +3 really worth it over +2? I had +2 on my Garuga set, and I realllyyyy felt it was underwhelming. I wasn't dodging any better at all.

Evasion +3 lasts 50% longer than Evasion +2 (0.6 sec/18 frames vs 0.4 sec/12 frames). +3 is really strong, but +2 probably isn't worth it, since +1 is 0.33 sec/10 frames.

I thought it was only the first half of the animation? Either way, it's still very useful. I can roll through most roars with it without too much trouble.

Weird, I was under the impression it was the whole thing (and it always seemed like that when I was playing), but apparently not. From Gaijin's video.

e0c718043db05cd009ac52331ddbbc5b.png

Regardless, the difference between +2 and +3 is huge, totally worth gemming up to. It will make an entire side hop invulnerable too!

Who wants to fight Raging Brachy? Or any Brachy in general?

I would also like to break some R.Brachy face in about an hour or two.

Weird, I was under the impression it was the whole thing (and it always seemed like that when I was playing), but apparently not. From Gaijin's video.

e0c718043db05cd009ac52331ddbbc5b.png

Regardless, the difference between +2 and +3 is huge, totally worth gemming up to.

I would also like to break some R.Brachy face in about an hour or two.

This is extremely compelling. Thank you!

Until I get the mats for Challenger gems, I'll go with Evasion.

Renoir

I'm trying to make black belt helm/vambraces. Was going to make skull face but RNG is shitting on my MH life.so... How I get those coins? I got the brute tigrex coin. But I need the coins from devilho but he isn't in the quest arena line up. How do I get him?
Or gravios?

tuffy

I'm trying to make black belt helm/vambraces. Was going to make skull face but RNG is shitting on my MH life.so... How I get those coins? I got the brute tigrex coin. But I need the coins from devilho but he isn't in the quest arena line up. How do I get him?
Or gravios?
"Grudge Match: Deviljho" is unlocked by completing the 7 star Guild quest "Devil of a Problem".

"Grudge Match: Dos Gravi" is unlocked by completing the 7 star Guild quest "Speartip Menace".

Rawk Hawk

I gemmed in evasion +3 to my regios x as well. For lancing it's amazing obviously, but it's pretty cool for hammers and switch axing as well, which have been my three main weapons. Plus I'm fairly new to G Rank MH'ing, so my timing isn't great, so it's be nice to have.

upandaway

Thanks to everyone that helped! Finally hit G-rank. Some of those last quests were intense in HR7. Still got a ton left in HR6 too... should be fun.

Tom_Cody

Regarding evasion, I have +3 going right now when I use my Zinogre U set. It completely changes some fights. It is greatly missed when I'm using my other set.

Played this for 7 hours or so when it came out, was playing on a regular 3DS. It kinda started to click for me- first time a MH game has done that.

Recently upgraded to a New 3DS, and man, game is waaaay better. Looks shinier, runs better and the camera stick is great. Think I might finally get sucked into a MH game

Rawk Hawk

Okay, so any advice on fighting akantor? I've had alot of trouble with him.

Adamant Seeds will remove the defense down debuff he applies to you. Outside of that, recognizing the wind tunnel and getting out of the way or diving if need be to avoid it it crucial.

Also, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but getting hit with the defense down removes the defense buff from food. After taking an adamant seed I believe you go back to neutral defense, so if you normally eat for Def (L), it may be better to go for attack for that fight since it will last until death.

CodeNfX

I've been stuck on HR7 urgent trying to kill Dalamadur with randoms, failed all 4 times. Ironically my first time fighting him with randoms we managed to kill him with no problems, wasn't my urgent though. I'll try again tonight if anyone wants to help.

I thought it was only the first half of the animation? Either way, it's still very useful. I can roll through most roars with it without too much trouble.

Had no idea you can roll through roars. Good to know.

Ultrabum

I've been stuck on HR7 urgent trying to kill Dalamadur with randoms, failed all 4 times. Ironically my first time fighting him with randoms we managed to kill him with no problems, wasn't my urgent though. I'll try again tonight if anyone wants to help.

Had no idea you can roll through roars. Good to know.

You can roll through a lot of stuff. You can roll through almost everything with evasion +3 and it's a lot easier with evasion +1 to roll through things like roars.

What time are you going to be on? I'm in the Mountain time zone.

Adamant Seeds will remove the defense down debuff he applies to you. Outside of that, recognizing the wind tunnel and getting out of the way or diving if need be to avoid it it crucial.

Also, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but getting hit with the defense down removes the defense buff from food. After taking an adamant seed I believe you go back to neutral defense, so if you normally eat for Def (L), it may be better to go for attack for that fight since it will last until death.
Outta curiosity, can you block the wind tunnel?

And I don't suppose anyone here could give me a hand? Randos just aren't cuttin it.

Top Bottom