• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Doing Caravaneer's Challenge and I'm a few minutes into Shagaru and I had to pause to take a breather. Phew. 5 Mega Potions and one Max Potion left. Here's hoping.

EDIT: DID IT! Two faints, zero healing items left, under 10 minutes remaining. Fuuuuuuuck yes. :D

Doing Caravaneer's Challenge and I'm a few minutes into Shagaru and I had to pause to take a breather. Phew. 5 Mega Potions and one Max Potion left. Here's hoping.

EDIT: DID IT! Two faints, zero healing items left, under 10 minutes remaining. Fuuuuuuuck yes. :D
Congrats! Now to the masters test you go.

Some day I'll see a 2nd zenith L... Oh yeah, rajang. Well I better bite the bullet otherwise I'll get nowhere fast.

*edit: whoops, didn't mean to double post.

Tarps

Regarding evasion, I have +3 going right now when I use my Zinogre U set. It completely changes some fights. It is greatly missed when I'm using my other set.

Sounds awesome. I managed to get the full set last night after putting in a few hours. Just had time to gem out the negative skill.

I might go for the extra evasion, or since I'm already +7 charmer, I might go down that road...

All these empty slots...!

Ulthwe

I got the mats for the Lobster armor, but I don't know if I should pick the blade or gunner set.

I'm playing with IG, SA and CB, and sometimes switch to Bow (never use LB nor HB).

Any advice?

daxy

Hit G1 finally. Ukantor turned into a cakewalk after numerous runs so my lamenting his unfairness was unplaced in retrospect. Got three gems out of him so that's a nice bonus.

Do people generally find the 3DS XL is more comfortable to hold with the Circle Pad Pro? I'm fully invested in this game, so I figure it's probably time to upgrade.

My main problem with the CPP is that it made it kinda heavy and my hands would get tired after an extended play session. The n3DS XL is still heavy compared to the Vita, but doesn't strain my hands at least. In that sense it's much more comfortable. Some people don't like the nub, but once you wrap your head around the fact that it's not an analogue stick and don't treat it as such, it works as it should.

If you're fully invested in the game you should really get it for the improved frame rate and nicer textures. It's a world of difference and was the main selling point for me after having first tried the demo on a regular XL.

edit: it's still early, misread your post. I personally didn't find it more comfortable (see above), but it's usefulness outweighs everything. The camera control is very helpful. My point still stands though. If you are really invested, it may be time to upgrade your 3DS. Between the two, it's the more worthwhile change.

Shengar

I got the mats for the Lobster armor, but I don't know if I should pick the blade or gunner set.

I'm playing with IG, SA and CB, and sometimes switch to Bow (never use LB nor HB).

Any advice?
Choosing over gunner or blademaster version of a same armor is the worst. Even more so if you already have the charm for the built of both armor sets. I can only say that you should pick whichever armor you need most.

Ulthwe

Choosing over gunner or blademaster version of a same armor is the worst. Even more so if you already have the charm for the built of both armor sets. I can only say that you should pick whichever armor you need most.
With other armors I made the choice depending on the abilities, eg. built a Khezu gunner armor and paired it with the Khezu bow for its thunder bonus.

But the evasion+ ability of the Lobster armor seems useful for both gunner and blade, so I don't really know what to do.

Shengar

Complete Tigrex set is quite decent. With the right charm and numbers of gem slots on weapon, I could get Sharpness+1 and Challenger+2 easily. It's like the raw version of Rath Soul Z.
Well, you can farm them by fishing more in Sunsnug.

But it's not really abundant. 500 hours in and my lobster shell have yet to reach 99.

jorgejjvr

Anyone got a guild quest that's level 126+ with either Freedom C Series (arms) or Freedom Series A (Legs, which I believe is the tempest armor)

-Alternis

Purdy

A few questions guys just played for a bit over an hour

1. Is online progress seperate or can I play a good bit offline then hop into online with the same gear etc?

2. I've been picking up every mushroom plant bones or whatever I can find, should I just store these in my item box to craft with later? I'm taking it the best gear comes from crafting instead of merchant?

3. I'm using the switch axe, I'm guessing you can't get it to come out in sword mode initially?

Thanks

A few questions guys just played for a bit over an hour

1. Is online progress seperate or can I play a good bit offline then hop into online with the same gear etc?

They're tied together, so the gear you use in single player will be the same gear you use in multiplayer.

2. I've been picking up every mushroom plant bones or whatever I can find, should I just store these in my item box to craft with later? I'm taking it the best gear comes from crafting instead of merchant?

That's a fair plan at the start. Most of your gear is going to be built off the corpses of monsters, but the stuff you harvest from the world is used in making items (such as the Potions). Eventually you'll unlock the Wycoon, a guy who can get you those items in much larger quantities than you can ever hope to harvest for caravan points.

3. I'm using the switch axe, I'm guessing you can't get it to come out in sword mode initially?

R+X+A will draw straight into sword mode if you have the meter for it.

jorgejjvr

Let's try this again I suppose. Is there anyone with a DEVILJHO guild quest around level 126+ that has armor labeled as Freedom Series C?

-Alternis

Purdy

They're tied together, so the gear you use in single player will be the same gear you use in multiplayer.

That's a fair plan at the start. Most of your gear is going to be built off the corpses of monsters, but the stuff you harvest from the world is used in making items (such as the Potions). Eventually you'll unlock the Wycoon, a guy who can get you those items in much larger quantities than you can ever hope to harvest for caravan points.

R+X+A will draw straight into sword mode if you have the meter for it.

Thanks for the reply. So is the progress in quests exactly the same too?

Okay thanks, what meter are you referring too? I think the one under my health and energy one is the weapon sharpness is that correct? There is one below that too but I don't really understand what it is

EDIT: Just read the hunters guide thing, so I can only use the switched to sword mode a certain amount of time. Can I go about recharging this without going back to town? (Apologies if dumb questions, not sure where to read to get my starting info)

Iryx

Okay thanks, what meter are you referring too? I think the one under my health and energy one is the weapon sharpness is that correct? There is one below that too but I don't really understand what it is

EDIT: Just read the hunters guide thing, so I can only use the switched to sword mode a certain amount of time. Can I go about recharging this without going back to town? (Apologies if dumb questions, not sure where to read to get my starting info)

Your sword mode meter will slowly refill automatically when in axe mode or while sheated. You can also manually reload it by pressing R in axe mode.

No, they're two separate lines of quests. You could play the entirety of SP and still have to do the basic MP quests, or vice versa.

f2a65f96cb5027a83117497bdda378da.png

The thing under your sharpness is your sword meter. It gradually recharges over time during the hunt as long as you're not in sword mode. If you bottom out the meter to 40% (it will turn a light purple color instead of orange), you also have the ability to "reload" by pressing R when it's out in axe mode, which gives you a chunk of meter back.

Check out this tutorial on the Switch Axe to get your bearings.

Purdy

Thanks guys

When you mean press R to reload, when I do that it just switches to sword mode, or is that only when below 40% :p?

Wanderer5

G-rank Black Gravios............. Guy that got wiped twice before another hunter left during the hunt was wearing the Lagombi armor too.<.<

Trying to find high rank Kirin quests is stupid so I raised my own. The problem I have is since I need azure horns if it gives me a regular one I'll just not save because all I need is a RNG troll and end up at G before I get 7 of em.

PrankT

Trying to find high rank Kirin quests is stupid so I raised my own. The problem I have is since I need azure horns if it gives me a regular one I'll just not save because all I need is a RNG troll and end up at G before I get 7 of em.
I have a level 43 kirin, lance/gunlance, tri series f (legs), if you need it.

tariniel

Does anyone have a G rank Deviljho guild quest they can share with me? I would prefer just some random lower level 86-100 quest because I just need to kill him for parts and don't have any quests in G3 to fight it yet. Don't really care about weapon or armor series either.

Does anyone have a G rank Deviljho guild quest they can share with me? I would prefer just some random lower level 86-100 quest because I just need to kill him for parts and don't have any quests in G3 to fight it yet. Don't really care about weapon or armor series either.

I have a lv 116, GS/LS and Freedom C (waist) one.

I'm on 8 star towns quest and I feel like I'm hitting a wall. The 2 queens took me 5+ tries to finish (half time I failed from being fainted 3 times, the other half from RUNNING OUTTA TIME!) and for some reason this damn icey Street Shark is just sucking up my DPS like candy and fainting my ass like it's nothing.

Maybe I'm a bit rusty but I should NOT be falling so fast. Most of the armor I can upgrade to takes matts I have never seen ...

Top Bottom