• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

It's what I do. Defense also works because you might not be able to get out of the way in time if you mess up a swing (Shaggy Magala...), but boy did Attack really kick the Cera Cymmetry up for me.

What's a decent G-Rank gathering set, on the subject of charm/item farming?

Rawk Hawk

Set up a room 52-5962-6067-9545 pw2468

Would love to do my urgent Gog, but really up for anything. Haven't faced Gog yet, so not really sure what to expect.

It's what I do. Defense also works because you might not be able to get out of the way in time if you mess up a swing (Shaggy Magala...), but boy did Attack really kick the Cera Cymmetry up for me.

I hone great sword for attack since it's easier to dodge with the style of gameplay that comes with that weapon.

Then it shall be honed for attack! Thanks guys.

Shengar

IIRC, there isn't any dedicated farming set besides Caravaneer/Guildmarm G set. As for charm farming, it really depends on your Charmer charm.

tuffy

I think all it takes is a Charmer +2 charm to make a Charm God set using a bunch of 3 slot armor pieces, a 3 slot weapon and a pile of Rath Gleams for the decorations. Charmer +5 allows to mix in an Iron Belt waist piece for Speed Gatherer.

Though I find charm runs get really boring, really fast.

Salaadin

Well I was looking for handicraft charms and I got one with handicraft 5, protection 8, no slots.

Not exactly what I wanted but it'll hold me over until I get something better

Wolfe

IIRC, there isn't any dedicated farming set besides Caravaneer/Guildmarm G set. As for charm farming, it really depends on your Charmer charm.

Obituary X, the other bug set, has natural gathering skill on it. It's the set I ended up making for gathering and I swap between a setup with gathering+charmer and gathering+speed gathering depending on what I'm going after at the moment.

Edit: on the subject of the charmer skill, I tend not to bother with it most of the time as I can get just as good results melding and the really good charms come from high guild quests anyway.

Any G rooms up right now? I have a few hours before bed and I'd like to hit HR100.

Edit: Actually I made one. 57-6170-7746-8542 Pass: 1111 Feel free to come in and do some G turns.

I'm gonna open a room soon to hopefully get a Shaggy mantle. Though trying to get one is gonna be tough now that i've said it aloud.

*edit: nvm.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Fucking randoms. Tried to get a couple of 5* quests done over Sunday and I was baffled to find peeps with armor that gave them NO active skills or having a dude straight up wait for the 3 others to kill the Tigrex only to say "Sorry" in the middle of the hunt and run towards its body once killed to get the carves. We tripped that fucker good.

Never again, I'll hunt with gaf next time :p

Tarps

Fucking randoms. Tried to get a couple of 5* quests done over Sunday and I was baffled to find peeps with armor that gave them NO active skills or having a dude straight up wait for the 3 others to kill the Tigrex only to say "Sorry" in the middle of the hunt and run towards its body once killed to get the carves. We tripped that fucker good.

Never again, I'll hunt with gaf next time :p

Ran into a G rank guy this weekend who had three pages of armor skills, and the only active skill was auto-guard from your first talisman. Wow.

redcrayon

It's generally nice to do so, but if you have to go out of your way to help him, I think it's a bit much. Especially Zam; if you were facing Uka it'd be a different story because of how devastating he can be, but you don't need to be running across a map to help someone who's frozen.
Hunters need to bring cleanser (and appropriate items for other monsters like deoderant, antidote etc), I notice some players almost have an aversion to using consumables even in the direst circumstances. It's also not worth trying to help if it will draw the monster's attention to both of you, as he is safer moving away than if most of the team (and thus also the monster) are all heading towards him. If there are only two hunters, it's an even worse plan, drawing 100% of it's attention to the area where neither of you are ready to fight and the other hunter isn't looking at it because he's trying to kick a moving target.

It's worth doing if you can do so safely and they are nearby, but it's hard if they are running around. Quitting because they weren't helped is ridiculous- they have the tools to fix themselves, it doesn't last long, and they have no idea what the other hunters were dealing with. As a lancer, I'm usually right under the monster. If I sheathe my weapon and then try to reach and kick a hunter who is running away, I'm far more likely to get hit too. The best thing is for me to keep hitting and drawing it's attacks onto me, trying to make it flinch etc, unless it's attention suddenly diverts elsewhere and I can sheathe safely and move to assist/pursue.

If players are frozen, rather than waste time and try and track them down, I often keep an extra close eye on their life bar instead, ready to disengage and use a lifepowder/dust of life on everyone if needed. It's far more help as I'm still piling on damage in the long run, but obviously doesn't look like I'm doing anything to help. They need to realise that shouting for help means they are asking the entire team to disengage and focus on them, no matter what tactics, skills and barrage of attacks they are dealing with. Which is completely inefficient as opposed to using a cleanser, and counting it as a pleasant bonus if another hunter can do the honours.

I was mildly annoyed last night when three of us lobbed dung bombs at the non-target creature to get it to withdraw, and then a few seconds later the other hunter started throwing them at the other monster. It was quite funny when three of started shaking our fists at him as the target withdrew, only for him to answer with a rather sheepish '...sorry' :D

redcrayon

I find that kind of thing really wierd. In the dozens of hours of play to reach G-rank, even if you did nothing but the guild hall quests, wouldn't you at least look at your status screens once? Or wonder why the skills you have a huge list of don't seem to be having any effect?

It mystifies me that a player can be interested enough in something to play it that much, but have zero interest in how the armour and weapon skills work in a loot-based game.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I find that kind of thing really wierd. In the dozens of hours of play to reach G-rank, even if you did nothing but the guild hall quests, wouldn't you at least look at your status screens once? Or wonder why the skills you have a huge list of don't seem to be having any effect?

It mystifies me that a player can be interested enough in something to play it that much, but have zero interest in how the armour and weapon skills work in a loot-based game.
I just want to know what goes on in their heads when I'm whacking on a Tigrex while its roaring.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Basically lol.

Heh, that too. If you're G-Rank, you should be well beyond the need for Auto-Guard.

Though on the same note, I did run into another guy in G-Rank with no active skills. IG user. We were going up against HR Teostra, and I was convinced he was gonna triple cart 'cause his defense was well under 300, like 235 or something. And to his credit, dude didn't cart once, and got several mounts, which was pretty helpful. So, y'know, props to that guy I guess.

Shengar

I can understand bad players that being carried all the way by other decent player, but I can't fathom what campers were thinking. Why would you play this game in the first place if all you do is just sit in the camp? Did they mistake this game as Hunter Camper instead?

Heh, that too. If you're G-Rank, you should be well beyond the need for Auto-Guard.

Though on the same note, I did run into another guy in G-Rank with no active skills. IG user. We were going up against HR Teostra, and I was convinced he was gonna triple cart 'cause his defense was well under 300, like 235 or something. And to his credit, dude didn't cart once, and got several mounts, which was pretty helpful. So, y'know, props to that guy I guess.

Yeah I've met folks like that too, those who have good organic skill but somehow didn't know shit about the game (obtuse) mechanic. In your case, it's possible that the guy do it deliberately. In my case, it's more unlikely since they wear full armor set but not the gem slot is empty while the charm being useless.

Tarps

It's a shame, this guy had gemmed every available slot, with all manner of gems, but still no active skills.

I think I might bind a chat shoutout devoted making skills active with +10, I just want to help these guys out...

Tom_Cody

So on a scale of 1-10, how insane was this charm run?

s50cs1O.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's a shame, this guy had gemmed every available slot, with all manner of gems, but still no active skills.

I think I might bind a chat shoutout devoted making skills active with +10, I just want to help these guys out...

Okay, yep, we absolutely saw the same guy. :lol

Purdy

Two quick questions

The items in the three different reward boxes at the end of the quest, is that just the stuff you've picked up/gathered/skinned or is it bonus stuff (guessing the reward box from your cat is stuff he has picked up but I don't know what the other two are coming from)?

Just got to Harth, the second little town thing, is there a house here? I just bought a weapon with like 120 more attack, do I need to go back to the harbour to get it?

redcrayon

Two quick questions

The items in the three different reward boxes at the end of the quest, is that just the stuff you've picked up/gathered/skinned or is it bonus stuff (guessing the reward box from your cat is stuff he has picked up but I don't know what the other two are coming from)?

Just got to Harth, the second little town thing, is there a house here? I just bought a weapon with like 120 more attack, do I need to go back to the harbour to get it?
It's the rewards from completing the quest/ skinning the monster, followed by rewards for breaking parts, followed by stuff picked up by the cats.
As a general rule, you get slightly more rewards from capturing, to make up for the fact that you can't carve a captured beast. Some drops have higher percentage chances to appear as a captured/carved/shiny drop/tail drop/broken part etc, so bear that in mind if looking for anything specific.

Yes, there is a house in Harth, on the left (it's always in the whale-like ship). All the boxes in your houses are linked, you can access your equipment from any of them. Just like all item chests are linked, you can rearrange, take from and store items in any of them, it's all the same box.

Purdy

It's the rewards from completing the quest/ skinning the monster, followed by rewards for breaking parts, followed by stuff picked up by the cats.
As a general rule, you get slightly more rewards from capturing, to make up for the fact that you can't carve a captured beast. Some drops have higher percentage chances to appear as a captured/carved/shiny drop/tail drop/broken part etc, so bear that in mind if looking for anything specific.

Yes, there is a house in Harth, on the left (it's always in the whale-like ship). All the boxes in your houses are linked, you can access your equipment from any of them. Just like all item chests are linked, you can rearrange, take from and store items in any of them, it's all the same box.

Cheers

I still haven't learnt at all or attempted trapping, I'm guessing the game will introduce me to it at some point.

Sakujou

Banned
hi there, are there any people playing online? i cant seem to find people playing online or its quite rare, that i can join a team....
also iam only 40hours in and this game seems to be endlessly big.

what can i do with the kitchen/gourmet vouchers?
just use them for food?
or do they have another purpose?

Rawk Hawk

Thanks to Quadratic for hopping in last night, couldn't stay on for too long unfortunately. But wow did we dominate those Kecha's, the crabs gave me a bit of issue, first time without evasion+ gear on them. Although the water beam as soon as I walked into the area was a nice touch.

Gog doesn't look too bad, checked out a couple videos on him. How far into caravan do you need to be to unlock the ammo for that cannon? I'm not even sure what it's called to check, but I'm almost finished with caravan stuff. The videos I've seen have all not used them, but I'm assuming things go much faster with it?

tuffy

hi there, are there any people playing online? i cant seem to find people playing online or its quite rare, that i can join a team....
also iam only 40hours in and this game seems to be endlessly big.

what can i do with the kitchen/gourmet vouchers?
just use them for food?
or do they have another purpose?
There's still plenty of people playing online. You should be able to join in with random people of the appropriate level. Or you could make a room yourself, tell us its ID number and folks from GAF will help - schedules permitting.

The kitchen vouchers are just used to make food ingredients fresh, which improves the odds of kitchen skills activating. Use them as you see fit.
Gog doesn't look too bad, checked out a couple videos on him. How far into caravan do you need to be to unlock the ammo for that cannon? I'm not even sure what it's called to check, but I'm almost finished with caravan stuff. The videos I've seen have all not used them, but I'm assuming things go much faster with it?
The Battlequarters cannon is explained at the end of the single-player story, which walks through how to use all that weaponry in a mostly scripted tutorial fight. It hits hard, though you'll need to bring your own ammo which is bought at the Wyporeum.

Sakujou

Banned
There's still plenty of people playing online. You should be able to join in with random people of the appropriate level. Or you could make a room yourself, tell us its ID number and folks from GAF will help - schedules permitting.

The kitchen vouchers are just used to make food ingredients fresh, which improves the odds of kitchen skills activating. Use them as you see fit.

The Battlequarters cannon is explained at the end of the single-player story, which walks through how to use all that weaponry in a mostly scripted tutorial fight. It hits hard, though you'll need to bring your own ammo which is bought at the Wyporeum.

oh i see. but they wont guarantee me getting like full health, stamina and defense or something...?
thanks for your response!

Rawk Hawk

Okay so that is the one they talk about during the Rusted Kushala fight, it's been a little while since then and watching these Gog videos online people were saying basically "we are using rank appropriate gear and not the cannon because you need to finish single player for that" and it threw me off a little. I haven't done the Master's Test yet, so wasn't sure if that was what they meant. I'll check out the Wyporeum and grab a few shots to use. Does Gog have any tremor's that tremor res would prevent? My other issue with him is my weapon choices so far are lacking, I have Zamtrios and Chameleos maxed weapons, but since his is immune to poison, cham kind of sucks, but Zamtrios doesn't have enough slots to squeeze everything out of my Uka Uka U set. I think the extra ice damage on a couple of his parts is likely worth it over tremor res. Although maybe it would be worth farming a dragon weapon up first.

tuffy

oh i see. but they wont guarantee me getting like full health, stamina and defense or something...?
thanks for your response!
You can improve how much health and stamina you get from food by doing certain quests. There's usually something in the quest description about it, as I recall. Like "complete this quest and I'll upgrade the bread ingredient".
Does Gog have any tremor's that tremor res would prevent? My other issue with him is my weapon choices so far are lacking, I have Zamtrios and Chameleos maxed weapons, but since his is immune to poison, cham kind of sucks, but Zamtrios doesn't have enough slots to squeeze everything out of my Uka Uka U set. I think the extra ice damage on a couple of his parts is likely worth it over tremor res. Although maybe it would be worth farming a dragon weapon up first.
Gog's tremors are pretty rare, as I recall. Maybe his tail slam but that's about it. I'm still trying to work out a good set to use against him. Perhaps I'll go for mobility with something that has Quick Sheathe and Negate Tar so that I can keep hugging his back legs and pierce-shotting him. I'm going to have to test out a few more strategies, I think.

Top Bottom