• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Rawk Hawk

Gog's tremors are pretty rare, as I recall. Maybe his tail slam but that's about it. I'm still trying to work out a good set to use against him. Perhaps I'll go for mobility with something that has Quick Sheathe and Negate Tar so that I can keep hugging his back legs and pierce-shotting him. I'm going to have to test out a few more strategies, I think.

Nice, suppose I'll start with my ice weapon for now. May try a couple solo runs to test out evasion, I can bring Attack Up L and Challenger+2, or Evade Distance and Evasion +2, and a couple combos of the two, but right now those are my two Uka Uka U sets for defense or offense.

also

Banned
oh i see. but they wont guarantee me getting like full health, stamina and defense or something...?
thanks for your response!
Starting health and stamina: 100
Max health and stamina: 150
Each fresh ingredient gives you 25 additional stamina.
Each star before the ingredient's name gives you 10 additional health. Your ingredients start out without any stars and you have to do certain quests to upgrade them. List of quests.
Each food combination has a ''Meal Effect'' (top screen) that always activates and improves as you improve your ingredients, e.g., eating meat + fish will give Attack (S), (M) or (L) depending on how upgraded (how many stars) your food is.
The bottom screen lists Felyne skills, which don't always activate. Eating fresh ingredients improves the chance of activation.
After completing the 8 star caravan quest ''In the Pink'' you'll also unlock prime ingredients. Eating a prime ingredient gives you a 50 stamina boosts and felyne skills will activate 100%.

Voucher: Makes all ingredients fresh.
Gourmet voucher: Makes all ingredients fresh and felyne skills will activate 100%.

If you use a voucher in multiplayer, everyone gets the bonus.

Farmed g rank seregios all night last night and got 3 lenses, more than enough to make my first set of g rank armor!

This game is weird. I farmed brachydios for a week to get a gem, then seregos gives me 3 lenses in 1 night, all with about the same odds.

Feels good to have my first g rank armor, and a good one at that. Just wish I had sharpness +1.

Nice, suppose I'll start with my ice weapon for now. May try a couple solo runs to test out evasion, I can bring Attack Up L and Challenger+2, or Evade Distance and Evasion +2, and a couple combos of the two, but right now those are my two Uka Uka U sets for defense or offense.

I never make a set without Evade +, so I only have that for my several Gog experiences. But there have been several times where that has saved me in those runs.

redcrayon

Cheers

I still haven't learnt at all or attempted trapping, I'm guessing the game will introduce me to it at some point.
It's not great at it outside of a couple of quests in SP, but it's really easy to do. Pop down a trap when the creature is low on health- the best time to do it is when it is limping and has just fled to a new area, or if it's badly wounded and you find it asleep. Then hit it with a couple of tranq bombs. You can carry 1 shock trap, 1 pitfall trap and 8 tranqs, but you can also carry a couple of trap tools and thunderbugs to make more on the fly.

Traps are also useful against fast monsters to buy time for the team to get some hits in, especially if you want a specific part that is often out of reach.

tuffy

Does Elemental Attack Up stack with X Attack Up+1/2/3?
It's possible for them to both be active at the same time; Kirin Z even comes with Element Atk Up and Ice Atk +2 outright. The consensus seems to be that stacking <Element> Atk +3 and Element Atk Up isn't worth it due to some sort of elemental boosting cap on damage, but I haven't tested this myself.

It's nice to build an entire set of armor in one go, with enough funds and resources that The Man can just swing his hammer down. Wham bam now I'm a beetleborg.

Purdy

Tetsucabra kicking my ass, stupid fucking nob boulder thing

I really don't understand how the hell you mount them, I thought that was the point of the verticality in this? I climb up a wall, jump off and maybe if I'm lucky hit them a bit but seems a tad pointless

Leezard

Does Elemental Attack Up stack with X Attack Up+1/2/3?

They stack but there are diminishing returns on X attack up +3 and elem up as they hit a cap. It's not worth it to have +3 and elem up, and it's more worth to have +3 than elem up and +2 IMO.

jorgejjvr

So apparently if I get the right rusted armor I'll have an armor set with:

Bounty Hunter: Great Luck and the skill that gives more rewards for capping
Ferocity: Speeds up gauges/charged attacks, can eat raw meat, steaks give unlimited stamina temporarily.
Benediction: Health items heal more and divine protection.

What do you guys think?

I'm still waiting for coming across a Deviljho GQ with Freedom C Arms to finish it though ;-;

-Alternis

Gah! I can't wait any longer! I got to G3 and now I really want the Bai-Bai Kaiser set! I have the perfect charm for it too. Anyone want to help me out in a few hours (maybe around 7 EST?)?

So apparently if I get the right rusted armor I'll have an armor set with:

Bounty Hunter: Great Luck and the skill that gives more rewards for capping
Ferocity: Speeds up gauges/charged attacks, can eat raw meat, steaks give unlimited stamina temporarily.
Benediction: Health items heal more and divine protection.

What do you guys think?

I'm still waiting for coming across a Deviljho GQ with Freedom C Arms to finish it though ;-;

-Alternis
I'll take 10 please. Though I don't think i've seen anybody online with the bounty hunter skill yet. I could use it for my Shaggy farming cause lol mantle.

jorgejjvr

I'll take 10 please. Though I don't think i've seen anybody online with the bounty hunter skill yet. I could use it for my Shaggy farming cause lol mantle.

We should start the Alternis foundation. An organization dedicated to finding a G rank Deviljho GQ with Freedom Series C (arms). XD

-Alternis

So is Felyne explorer just straight up lying when it says "ENSURES you always begin in hidden areas during Quests with random starting points" because the last three times I've rolled Soverign, it's stuck me in area 2 or in the cat area.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So is Felyne explorer just straight up lying when it says "ENSURES you always begin in hidden areas during Quests with random starting points" because the last three times I've rolled Soverign, it's stuck me in area 2 or in the cat area.
Well theres also another random factor where you can just not get the food skill too so I guess its that.

Since I can't get a Shaggy mantle, is the Chaos one the next best thing? Even though the dragon is low (90) I can make it fully maxed right now unlike the other one.

microfolk

It's the rewards from completing the quest/ skinning the monster, followed by rewards for breaking parts, followed by stuff picked up by the cats.
As a general rule, you get slightly more rewards from capturing, to make up for the fact that you can't carve a captured beast. Some drops have higher percentage chances to appear as a captured/carved/shiny drop/tail drop/broken part etc, so bear that in mind if looking for anything specific.

Yes, there is a house in Harth, on the left (it's always in the whale-like ship). All the boxes in your houses are linked, you can access your equipment from any of them. Just like all item chests are linked, you can rearrange, take from and store items in any of them, it's all the same box.

As far as I know this is not true, killing a monster guarantees you 3 carves while capturing a monster guarantees only 2 materials on the final screen plus a 69% chance for a third one. This means that killing a monster is more often than not beneficial when looking at the mere number of drops (and it makes sense since killing a monster is harder than capturing it), but on the other hands there are certain drops that can't be found carving a monster and vice versa (see: brach pounders, plates from the raths etc.)

We should start the Alternis foundation. An organization dedicated to finding a G rank Deviljho GQ with Freedom Series C (arms). XD

-Alternis

I had all 5 GQ and made my own Death Stench full set. I'm assuming that's what you're going for, unless it's C. Fatalis Z stuff.

I gave all 5 GQ's to a friend before I deleted all of them. I could probably ask him later if he still has it if you're interested.

redcrayon

As far as I know this is not true, killing a monster guarantees you 3 carves while capturing a monster guarantees only 2 materials on the final screen plus a 69% chance for a third one. This means that killing a monster is more often than not beneficial when looking at the mere number of drops (and it makes sense since killing a monster is harder than capturing it), but on the other hands there are certain drops that can't be found carving a monster and vice versa (see: brach pounders, plates from the raths etc.)
Ah, fair enough, I stand corrected, that was accepted wisdom yonks ago but it might have been wrong then too. I wouldnt say its necessarily easier to cap though, especially with four people hitting it, as it's quite possible to kill it before it can limp or flee if they keep it stunned with status effects or interrupt it's flee move by making it flinch. I once had a seregios take off again mere moments after I set a trap, which was only a few seconds after it moved to a new area. Very annoying.

Plus it uses resources. I think if capping was widely regarded as easier, people would do it more as most hunters want to complete the quest as fast as possible. Mostly traps seem to get used to buy time to inflict damage online, rather than ending hunts, although I've seem it used (and done it myself) to end a tough hunt before another hunter faints.

I kept putting it off and off but I decided to finally do the Caravaneer's Challenge. 1 try and it was down. I am glad I didn't decide to take it on in High Rank gear though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I do have a G rank Deviljho GC with Freedom Series C (chest). Which is, of course, completely worthless.

Could someone link me to a good explanation of all this Guild Quest armor/weapon stuff? I don't understand it at all (and of course, the game does nothing to help that, heh).

EDIT: Also, would it be worth it to go after the EX Kirin set from the DLC? The skills are great, but it'd take a shit-ton of armor spheres to get it up to a usable level.

Shengar

Could someone link me to a good explanation of all this Guild Quest armor/weapon stuff? I don't understand it at all (and of course, the game does nothing to help that, heh).

EDIT: Also, would it be worth it to go after the EX Kirin set from the DLC? The skills are great, but it'd take a shit-ton of armor spheres to get it up to a usable level.
To make it simple: randomized quest with randomized reward.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Expeditions and Guild Quests

along with

Understanding Expeditions

are pretty good starting points.

Though I don't do a lot of Guild Quests myself outside of hunting for monsters that don't have proper quests of their own.

To make it simple: randomized quest with randomized reward.

Thanks, I should have known to check gaijin hunter's stuff first, heh. Specifically though, I'm still confused as to what the "Freedom Series"/"Tri Series", etc stuff means in the description. Gaijin hunter doesn't seem to cover that, either.

Prisoner

Thanks, I should have known to check gaijin hunter's stuff first, heh. Specifically though, I'm still confused as to what the "Freedom Series"/"Tri Series", etc stuff means in the description. Gaijin hunter doesn't seem to cover that, either.

They are armor sets originally from previous games in the series (Freedom series are from the PSP games, Tri series from the Wii, etc.)

Speaking of, does anyone want to do some g-rank GQs?

jorgejjvr

I had all 5 GQ and made my own Death Stench full set. I'm assuming that's what you're going for, unless it's C. Fatalis Z stuff.

I gave all 5 GQ's to a friend before I deleted all of them. I could probably ask him later if he still has it if you're interested.

PLEASE. Oh finally! Please remove my grief by contacting your friend and passing down the GQ with the death stench arms >.< I have been trying to acquire it for months, but to no avail. Shall you soothe my discomfort?

-Alternis

Are hunt-a-thons good for farming?

I feel like I don't get as many end-of-mission rewards for the amount of monsters I kill and capture ..

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
They are armor sets originally from previous games in the series (Freedom series are from the PSP games, Tri series from the Wii, etc.)

Speaking of, does anyone want to do some g-rank GQs?

No no, I knew that (I've been playing since Freedom). I mean, what does that mean in the context of the quest? Like, what armors you can find there, I guess?

Prisoner

No no, I knew that (I've been playing since Freedom). I mean, what does that mean in the context of the quest? Like, what armors you can find there, I guess?

Precisely. I don't understand your confusion...

Whichever armor is listed in the GQ description is what you'll get from the quest, just like the weapon bias.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yes? I don't understand you confusion...

Whichever armor is listed in the GQ description is what you'll get from the quest, just like the weapon bias.

Sorry, I'm going about this super weirdly and not asking the right things. The letters after the series name, what does that mean? Freedom C, Tri E, etc? I've seen people looking for specific letters and such.

(Gah, why didn't I ask this from the start? I feel dumb.)

EDIT: Ugh, got kicked out of a quest due to maintenance. Don't understand why Capcom doesn't throw out the "Maintenance will begin shortly" message 50 minutes before it happens. That way anyone on a quest when the message pops up can still complete it.

I still can't get Crazy Stupid Love to show up! I've completed Advanced: Shipping out and the Urgent Quest asking me to kill a Dah'ren Mohran. The simple answer would be to complete every uncompleted quest, but I know that isn't actually necessary.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I still can't get Crazy Stupid Love to show up! I've completed Advanced: Shipping out and the Urgent Quest asking me to kill a Dah'ren Mohran. The simple answer would be to complete every uncompleted quest, but I know that isn't actually necessary.

I did that and got it. Hell, Im at advance Teostra. I think one more quest and then I unlock the Caravanners challenge.

tuffy

Have you talked to everybody? Check all the towns and don't forget the back room in Cathar (which I think you've gotten to by now). There might be a dialogue bubble somewhere that you need to find.

Feebastic

Tetsucabra kicking my ass, stupid fucking nob boulder thing

I really don't understand how the hell you mount them, I thought that was the point of the verticality in this? I climb up a wall, jump off and maybe if I'm lucky hit them a bit but seems a tad pointless

It's a lot easier to use ridges and ledges on the terrain than to try climbing the walls for mounts. Even the small jumps from running over a ledge can be used for an aerial mounting attack.

Mounting itself works like a status effect - every landed aerial attack adds to a counter, which when met triggers a mount. Repeated attempts set the counter higher, so the first mount is always the easiest.

I did that and got it. Hell, Im at advance Teostra. I think one more quest and then I unlock the Caravanners challenge.

Have you talked to everybody? Check all the towns and don't forget the back room in Cathar (which I think you've gotten to by now). There might be a dialogue bubble somewhere that you need to find.

Still nothing! Maybe I'll just complete the remaining "Advanced" quests and hope for the best?

It's a lot easier to use ridges and ledges on the terrain than to try climbing the walls for mounts. Even the small jumps from running over a ledge can be used for an aerial mounting attack.

Mounting itself works like a status effect - every landed aerial attack adds to a counter, which when met triggers a mount. Repeated attempts set the counter higher, so the first mount is always the easiest.

Yeah and I think some weapons are easier to mount with than others. I main DB, and if I'm in Demon Mode or Archdemon mode and I dash off a ledge, I get a sweet mount move that works way better than a regular jump off attack.

Act of Gog > One guy carts > Team abandons quest > solo cutting his tail off to end via subquest.

My Monhun is strong.

Edit: What the fuck has happened to the online community? I'm getting guys quitting left and right, leaving as soon as the mission is over without a word, and leaches all over the place especially in these big battles. Doesn't even use the cannon! Even the simplest player can contribute in the Gog fight by loading the cannon.

Top Bottom