• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Rawk Hawk

Thanks mate but yeah sorry the poison battleaxe is actually in the Sword/ Shield weapon class. I never used the switch axe, may give it a shot regardless.

No problem, another good way is to check out the weapon tree, see what monsters you were just able to kill and what weapons can be made from them. Usually that's going to be the 'best at that time' weapon. You can check with the blacksmith, but not all weapons can be created, some need to be upgraded too, so a weapon tree online is a good option for that.

Alright gunning GAF, it's bombard you with noob questions time! After researching what I could find on relic gear yesterday it seems like to get the Covert skill I want I'll need to do GQ's on a gunning class, so I need to make something up first. I'm not really sure which ranged weapon I want yet, but thinking HBG. I'm not exactly understanding pierce shots, when they say bounce does it mean it deflects off and does less damage, or skips like a stone one water doing more damage? What is it better to take Normal shots over Pierce? My gut to those both are bouncing means more damage and Pierce is better for armored stuff, but just figure I'd rather be safe than sorry.

tuffy

Alright gunning GAF, it's bombard you with noob questions time! After researching what I could find on relic gear yesterday it seems like to get the Covert skill I want I'll need to do GQ's on a gunning class, so I need to make something up first. I'm not really sure which ranged weapon I want yet, but thinking HBG. I'm not exactly understanding pierce shots, when they say bounce does it mean it deflects off and does less damage, or skips like a stone one water doing more damage? What is it better to take Normal shots over Pierce? My gut to those both are bouncing means more damage and Pierce is better for armored stuff, but just figure I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Pierce shots don't normally bounce (except maybe off an Apex monster or something). The general idea is that they pass through the monster, damaging hitzones as they go. Pierce level 1 only damages up to 3 hitzones but does the most damage per hitzone. Pierce level 3 damages up to 5 hitzones, does the least damage per hitzone, but the most damage overall if all 5 connect. So pierce shot levels are for progressively larger things.

Normal shots are a bit different. Level 1 shots are half strength and only suited for small game hunting. Level 2 shots put all their damage to the spot hit. It's a vanilla shot that works on just about everything. Level 3 shot is like level 2 except that once hit, the shot breaks into little fragments which might ricochet over the target to cause additional damage. Using normal 3 effectively means choosing a spot that's likely to net a lot of ricochets, like under monster wings.

Pierce shot works well on a lot of things, but almost all the best pierce shot HBGs need at least Recoil Down +1 to bring them to a recoil level of "Some", which limits how many other skills you can pack along with it. Normal shots are totally unaffected by a weapon's recoil level, so it's easier to go to town when piling on damage skills.

Rawk Hawk

Ah that makes sense now that I read it, thanks tuffy. I still haven't spend those seals we farmed the other night, maybe I'll do one of Seregios' ranged weapons instead. Just can't decide what I want to go with lol.

Fuck (G rank) Tigrex and Brute Tigrex.

Molten is fine. His speed is perfect for the amount of damage he can do. The regular versions run passed you and suddenly all your health is gone.

I think solo hunting is ruined for me because I expect a little support in a game that gave me two idiotic cats and said "yeah that's good enough. What do you mean they're running around in circles while slowly sailing through the air. That's helpful!"

tuffy

Ah that makes sense now that I read it, thanks tuffy. I still haven't spend those seals we farmed the other night, maybe I'll do one of Seregios' ranged weapons instead. Just can't decide what I want to go with lol.
<whynotboth.jpg>

The Seregios LBG is a lot of fun, as a lot of folks have said. But the Seregios HBG has good attack power, develops a good normal lv. 2 clip with the limiter off, and actually works as a pierce shot gun if you can get Recoil Down +2. They're both especially handy anytime there's not a lot of safe reload opportunities.

I thought Caravan 10* is supposed to be G rank, but these hunts are a hell of a lot easier than G rank gathering hall. The monsters barely do any damage. Am I missing something here?

They should be G rank but scaled to single player. Gathering Hall monsters are scaled for 4 players always. Its like MHFU that way instead of MH3U where even if you were in the Gathering Hall the monster was scaled to the number of players in the hall.

Edit: God how many times can I say "scaled" in one post?

Rawk Hawk

To add to the 10* talk, the ones that are G Rank will say on the quest dialog G1 Permit, or G2 permit and such. The G Rank ones unlock much like the 6* High Rank ones did.

<whynotboth.jpg>

The Seregios LBG is a lot of fun, as a lot of folks have said. But the Seregios HBG has good attack power, develops a good normal lv. 2 clip with the limiter off, and actually works as a pierce shot gun if you can get Recoil Down +2. They're both especially handy anytime there's not a lot of safe reload opportunities.

Hmm, well that's always an option, want to get one set together first though, having a hard time picking out armor. Might actually need to install Athena's when I get home and try that out. Otherwise I may just strive for GaijinHunter's Seregios LBG armor for now.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Also the early G-Rank Caravan might initially fool you into thinking they're easy because Desert Seltas and G-Rank Gypceros are stupidly easy.

To add to the 10* talk, the ones that are G Rank will say on the quest dialog G1 Permit, or G2 permit and such. The G Rank ones unlock much like the 6* High Rank ones did.

Ah that's it. I just finished the hunt with the S. Zin and Seregios, so maybe 2 or 3 hunts into 10*. It definitely felt like high rank. Thanks!

Boogiepop

So are Ruby Basarios and Blue Yian Kut-ku the only guild quest exclusive monsters. And is there any good trick to getting them to show up on expeditions so I can unlock said guild quests, or is down to pure luck? Recently realized they just weren't showing up as normal quests, and I'd like the option to be able to consistently fight any monster in the game...

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So are Ruby Basarios and Blue Yian Kut-ku the only guild quest exclusive monsters. And is there any good trick to getting them to show up on expeditions so I can unlock said guild quests, or is down to pure luck? Recently realized they just weren't showing up as normal quests, and I'd like the option to be able to consistently fight any monster in the game...
You get blue yian in high rank caravan.

tuffy

Well then. Apparently I already did that quest and it just really didn't stick in my memory. I guess question still stands for Ruby Basarios and anything else that may be exclusive and I just didn't notice.
Ruby Basarios is Expedition/Guild Quest only at the moment. He's fairly common, though. I have one I can offer a few hours from now if you still need it by then.

Is it just me or is Basarios and the lil Basarios monster piss easy for a IG user?

I friggin HATE running into them on expeditions now that I main CB ... could easily kill them with a few IG mountings back when I was playing around with that though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is it just me or is Basarios and the lil Basarios monster piss easy for a IG user?

I friggin HATE running into them on expeditions now that I main CB ... could easily kill them with a few IG mountings back when I was playing around with that though.

Basarios is like a (comparatively) tiny, less threatening Gravios.

Basarios is like a (comparatively) tiny, less threatening Gravios.

Gravios falls to my IG with ease. I think that was the one I thought was the small one lol, hard to keep tract of them without my game turned on.

But yeah, both are a bitch to deal with when using any weapon other than IG for me. Given how slow they move I would think ranged weapons would have a easy time with them to but I don't use em so I wouldn't know.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gravios falls to my IG with ease. I think that was the one I thought was the small one lol, hard to keep tract of them without my game turned on.

But yeah, both are a bitch to deal with when using any weapon other than IG for me. Given how slow they move I would think ranged weapons would have a easy time with them to but I don't use em so I wouldn't know.

Gravios is a huge pushover with a ranged weapon. Like, almost comically easy.

So, I am about to start and this is my first Monster Hunter game. Any basic hints and tips would be much appreciated.

• After you complete the first few tutorial missions, there are a bunch of training missions for each weapon. Those are good quests for trying out weapons to see which ones click with you.
  • Try to watch each new monster for a bit so you get used to how they move and what attacks they have. Monsters have "tells" that show you what attacks they're about to use. You have 50 minutes for each quest so don't feel like you need to rush.
  • This is a slower-paced, more deliberate action game. You can't go in hacking and slashing and expect to survive. In general, you'll be going in for a couple of hits and then backing out.

• After you complete the first few tutorial missions, there are a bunch of training missions for each weapon. Those are good quests for trying out weapons to see which ones click with you.
  • Try to watch each new monster for a bit so you get used to how they move and what attacks they have. Monsters have "tells" that show you what attacks they're about to use. You have 50 minutes for each quest so don't feel like you need to rush.
  • This is a slower-paced, more deliberate action game. You can't go in hacking and slashing and expect to survive. In general, you'll be going in for a couple of hits and then backing out.

Cheers for the advice. So, similar to the Souls games, with regards to combat? I have just finished Bloodborne, will that stand me in good stead?

Ultrabum

So, I am about to start and this is my first Monster Hunter game. Any basic hints and tips would be much appreciated.

You can farm some of the materials you will use a lot such as blue mushrooms and honey. These are used to make mega potions. I always bring 10 mega potions with me on every quest.

Edit: and by farm I mean there's a place called the wycoon where you can generate these in town. Use this whenever possible. It also upgrades as you advance the story.

This will be hard to do at first, but if you are running out consider doing the harvest tour quests and just gathering things like honey and blue mushrooms.

The same thing is true for other useful items like paintballs and traps.

Also, don't be afraid to look stuff up, like where to get upgrade mats you've never heard of or find out combinations.

Kiranico is a great place to find database like information.

Also, this youtube account has great in-depth weapon tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT84SVapAfSSD_iMfpKbFbA

He covers the basics and more advanced stuff.

Boogiepop

From my experience with people being new to the game:
Never sell anything (not actually true, but honestly I don't think it's good to get in the habit of selling monster parts or anything but like the eggs that are exclusively for selling, since money is not really hard to amass in the game)
Use all the subsystems (eating a meal before each hunt, hunters for hire, Sunsnug Isle when you get it, and DEFINITELY the Wycoon). It's just good to get in the habit of actually using this stuff as it makes for some nice boosts. And the subsection of this is Honey+Potion=Mega Potion, and you should bring those along all the time. (Somehow found out my one friend in my hunting group wasn't using them or the Wycoon at all... and we had hit G rank already! And he had played about that far in 3U!)

Beats

Cheers for the advice. So, similar to the Souls games, with regards to combat? I have just finished Bloodborne, will that stand me in good stead?

One big difference is that the default dodge here isn't as fast and has less invincibility frames compared to Bloodborne. The timing to roll through an attack is fairly strict and some attacks you might not be able to roll through at all, so it's usually better to use it as a positioning tool or using it to roll out of the way of an attack.

Thanks. That is great. I will definitely be looking a few things up and will check that video out. I will also be in here asking a few questions if that is cool? Just tell me to shut up if I ask anything stupid.

What's at the top when you get the red arrow prompts?

You can run up his body when you see the prompts. At the second red arrow, you can jump off his body onto the mountain, where you can then either attack his claw or his head. Or you can ignore the red arrow and run up all the way to his shoulder, where you can plant the bombs from the supply box or attack his back fin.

Ultrabum

Is Spear tip menace the last before G rank?

Any tips?

Yes. Edit: second to last Kappa

The key to the fight is to do the unsheathed "epic dive" dodge to live through the lazer beam.

The fight is also very very scripted.

The red arrow prompts show you that you can jump from there to ontop of his head, where u can carve twice and then do damage.

My advice is to just go and do it a few times, focusing on his head, seeing his attack patterns and how the script repeats.

That and practice the epic dive timing on his laser.

daxy

Is Spear tip menace the last before G rank?

Any tips?

If you walk far enough you can hit the dude's fins or whatever to break them off, or hit his arm. There's also a nice spot for a gunner to get to.

Get diving through the laser down otherwise you'll most likely be dead. Depending on your gear it may be an instant kill. You can't really dive through the attack where he goes straight at you with his mouth open, or I haven't had luck with it. Works better to use the invincibility to get off to the side of it.

If you're not climbing the snake/missed the opportunity to do so, look for his tail which you can cut off. It's the second thing you can lock on to if that wasn't clear.

Mine that blue thing that falls from the sky. It gives those rare crystals usually.

Like Dahren, you can carve this dude in two spots, head and body. If you're quick enough you can get a good amount of carves off.

Beats

Thanks. That is great. I will definitely be looking a few things up and will check that video out. I will also be in here asking a few questions if that is cool? Just tell me to shut up if I ask anything stupid.

Don't worry about it. Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

PKrockin

• Don't get hit. This is priority #1 when fighting any large monster. Getting hit sucks. First of all monsters just generally hit like a truck, especially as you get farther in the game. Secondly they often inflict all sorts of nasty secondary effects such as blights, defense down, stun, poison, etc. Thirdly, you can't just instantly pop healing or status recovery items. Your weapon must be sheathed (except Sword and Shield) and recovery items have a lengthy animation that leaves you vulnerable.
  • Look up Gaijin Hunter's tutorials on Youtube for whatever weapon you want to use.
  • Don't confuse a monster being tired with a monster being weak enough to capture. Limping and choosing to go to sleep are the only sure signs it's ready for capture, not drooling, tripping, etc.
  • Go to the options menu and set the text to instantly display.
  • If the supply box gives you flash bombs, poison throwing knives or other consumable items beyond the usual first aid meds, rations, and such they always give you, that's the game's way of hinting to you that a monster in the quest is weak to it.

Yes, that first point is a similar mindset to Bloodborne (I assume--I've only played Demon's Souls a bit). Except you have to know the enemy better and position yourself smarter because you have even more limited movement, less invincibility frames on dodges, etc.

By all means feel free to ask questions. This is one of those games where you're going to be learning things even 100+ hours in.

Ok this was my first MH ever as well, and now I'm G2 after god knows how many hours (probably over 150 at this point).

One of the first things I wish I had known more about at the start is the lock on system. It's not like Souls. To start, you can't lock on to smaller monsters at all. After a few hours you'll be ignoring the small monsters altogether.

For large monsters, touch the monster icon in the touchscreen to select the large monster, but only if you're in the same area and have both seen each other. Once selected, pressing L will swivel the camera to the monster, but will not lock on. You have to keep hitting L to swivel the camera to the monster. The reason they do this is because you're going to be hitting the monster in specific hitzones (head, leg, tail, etc) for a variety of reasons. If the lock on was like Souls, you'd always be hitting basically the same area, which would be disadvantageous in many situations.

The different hitzones on monsters can be used to either exploit weaknesses (like maybe the head is particularly weak to fire), or to break those parts to get specific materials for your weapon and armor upgrades.

There are no classes or character levels in the game that affect your stats or abilities. There are sort-of-levels called Hunter Ranks but they don't impart any benefit aside from providing access to higher level quests. HR 1-3 is Low Rank, HR 4-7 is High Rank, and HR 8+ is G Rank. HR comes from doing quests in the Gathering Hall (the online part, which you can totally solo if you want). You won't get access to that until a little bit into the game. It's kinda weird but the game is split into Caravan quests (solo only, Caravan 1*-6* is considered Low Rank, 7*-9* is High, and 10* is G, I have no idea why they didn't make it the same as Gathering Hall) and Gathering Hall quests (online or solo). They are similar quests, but not exactly the same. I would start by doing Caravan quests for a while, then jump into the GH once you feel fairly comfortable with your weapon.

Things that would normally come from leveling in other games come from armor in this game. Armor provides both defense and skills. Each piece of armor will have a certain number of points per skill. In most cases, you need a total of 10 points to activate that skill, and in most cases, especially early on, you will only get 10 points in a skill if you have a complete armor set.

Classes come from weapon selection. There are 14 weapon types, so 14 classes. Each weapon has a specific moveset that is 100% unlocked from the start. Upgrading a weapon will only upgrade the damage, not the moveset. I would do all of the weapon tutorials to see what weapon you like best, and stick with it for a while. Learning a weapon's movesets is one of the most important parts of the game.

To create/upgrade weapons and armor, you will need specific monster parts and cash. At this point, I always have kiranico open on my phone when I'm playing so I can reference what parts I need, where to hit the monster to get those parts, what elements monsters are weak to, etc.

I could go on for hours but already have a wall of text so just ask questions and we'll do our best.

Edit: Eat a meal before every quest (I think you need to be a few quests in to unlock the meals).

Ultrabum

Ok this was my first MH ever as well, and now I'm G2 after god knows how many hours (probably over 150 at this point).

One of the first things I wish I had known more about at the start is the lock on system. It's not like Souls. To start, you can't lock on to smaller monsters at all. After a few hours you'll be ignoring the small monsters altogether.

For large monsters, touch the monster icon in the touchscreen to select the large monster, but only if you're in the same area and have both seen each other. Once selected, pressing L will swivel the camera to the monster, but will not lock on. You have to keep hitting L to swivel the camera to the monster. The reason they do this is because you're going to be hitting the monster in specific hitzones (head, leg, tail, etc) for a variety of reasons. If the lock on was like Souls, you'd always be hitting basically the same area, which would be disadvantageous in many situations.

The different hitzones on monsters can be used to either exploit weaknesses (like maybe the head is particularly weak to fire), or to break those parts to get specific materials for your weapon and armor upgrades.

There are no classes or character levels in the game that affect your stats or abilities. There are sort-of-levels called Hunter Ranks but they don't impart any benefit aside from providing access to higher level quests. HR 1-3 is Low Rank, HR 4-7 is High Rank, and HR 8+ is G Rank.

Things that would normally come from leveling in other games come from armor in this game. Armor provides both defense and skills. Each piece of armor will have a certain number of points per skill. In most cases, you need a total of 10 points to activate that skill, and in most cases, especially early on, you will only get 10 points in a skill if you have a complete armor set.

Classes come from weapon selection. There are 14 weapon types, so 14 classes. Each weapon has a specific moveset that is 100% unlocked from the start. Upgrading a weapon will only upgrade the damage, not the moveset. I would do all of the weapon tutorials to see what weapon you like best, and stick with it for a while. Learning a weapon's movesets is one of the most important parts of the game.

To create/upgrade weapons and armor, you will need specific monster parts and cash. At this point, I always have kiranico open on my phone when I'm playing so I can reference what parts I need, where to hit the monster to get those parts, what elements monsters are weak to, etc.

I could go on for hours but already have a wall of text so just ask questions and we'll do our best.

These are good tips that I would not think of after playing for too long lol

Shengar

From my experience with people being new to the game:
Never sell anything (not actually true, but honestly I don't think it's good to get in the habit of selling monster parts or anything but like the eggs that are exclusively for selling, since money is not really hard to amass in the game)
This. Don't sell anything beside overabundant basic material. Ever. If you do, you'll farm Eggstraction mission for silver and golden egg like I do.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So I crafted an Insect Glaive to try it out and made the Clockwork. Its a pretty mid tier glaive and uses a of lot of oil+ to make but its has electric so that nice.

PKrockin

Ah yes. This is something I always forget to mention but needs to be stressed for new players since armor skills can be confusing.

I didn't realize I had so many shrouded nerscylla parts so I made the IG and armor to go with it. Not sure why though since the only noteworthy skill is the evade extender.

Top Bottom