• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Prototype

So tired of grinding 140GQs (looking at you Black Diablos) I've been finishing up offline stuff. Guess it's time to get Rainbow color.

PrankT

So tired of grinding 140GQs (looking at you Black Diablos) I've been finishing up offline stuff. Guess it's time to get Rainbow color.
I gave up on relic hunting. Too random and too much garbage. I have more fun getting divine spheres and maxing armor.

Yrael

Thanks for previous responses re hunting in Golden Lune armour - I'm now up to G2 and haven't been kicked yet, so woo. :)

I'm a little bit confused about something - I've seen a couple of people say that the ability to hone your weapons is unlocked once you have a Rare 8 weapon and have beaten Rusted Kushala Daora in the Caravan quests. I've done both of those things (and have a Zenith Wyvern Gem in my inventory from beating Apex Seregios), but I don't see any option to start honing weapons at the Smithy. I guess the weapon also has to be in the final stage of its upgrade chain, right?

Quadratic

I'm a little bit confused about something - I've seen a couple of people say that the ability to hone your weapons is unlocked once you have a Rare 8 weapon and have beaten Rusted Kushala Daora in the Caravan quests. I've done both of those things (and have a Zenith Wyvern Gem in my inventory from beating Apex Seregios), but I don't see any option to start honing weapons at the Smithy. I guess the weapon also has to be in the final stage of its upgrade chain, right?

The option to hone weapons when you reach the last stage of a weapon path. The man will start a dialogue about honing weapons at that point. Some weapons which you can craft it's final form will unlock honing as well.

deim0s

I've used 2 before and they don't always block. But with 3 it's easy mode.

Is there a sure-fire way to get them or the skills they get are random after some leveling?

My main has two of them and they're pretty much successful at anything, i've yet to get one with my alt.

Wolfe

I've used 2 before and they don't always block. But with 3 it's easy mode.

Lol damn I didn't use any till after I had dala cat armor (I didn't know they existed) but since then I only use 1 per run and never have any issues, hell half the time I still block 2 out of 3 hits.

Edit: I should mention that I always run a skill technician with the unreal blocking and typically 3 attack cats or 2 plus a reward reaper cat. Maybe 1/15 times I fail, it's not all that often. Hell go back a few pages and you can see my post on getting a blocking cat and how OP I found just 1 to be haha.

Leezard

From my experience with people being new to the game:
Never sell anything (not actually true, but honestly I don't think it's good to get in the habit of selling monster parts or anything but like the eggs that are exclusively for selling, since money is not really hard to amass in the game)
Use all the subsystems (eating a meal before each hunt, hunters for hire, Sunsnug Isle when you get it, and DEFINITELY the Wycoon). It's just good to get in the habit of actually using this stuff as it makes for some nice boosts. And the subsection of this is Honey+Potion=Mega Potion, and you should bring those along all the time. (Somehow found out my one friend in my hunting group wasn't using them or the Wycoon at all... and we had hit G rank already! And he had played about that far in 3U!)
The fun part is that eggs aren't actually exclusively for selling; they can be used to craft jewels.

I wish my cats were good enough to use a reward reaper more often.

Edit:
Is there a sure-fire way to get them or the skills they get are random after some leveling?

My main has two of them and they're pretty much successful at anything, i've yet to get one with my alt.
You can see their skills before you hire them.

tm24

Finally fixed my DC problems. Or at least i think i did since i didnt DC. Did my first 4 player hunts online today. G Rathalos went down in a flash. Got another ruby and mantle. Black Gravios/Brute went down pretty easily. Got a tigrex mantle there. Online is fun

Again, thanks for all the advice, a lot more detailed than I was expecting which is great. I played very little last night before I fell asleep. I only completed two tutorial missions, the one with the steak and the mega potion one. I have a weekend of doing nothing, so I am going to put a lot of time in.

One thing to add, I am using the original launch 3DS (yes I know, I should probably upgrade, but it works fine) and the circle pad pro. Is there any other benefit apart from faster loading to using the New 3DS?

PKrockin

Again, thanks for all the advice, a lot more detailed than I was expecting which is great. I played very little last night before I fell asleep. I only completed two tutorial missions, the one with the steak and the mega potion one. I have a weekend of doing nothing, so I am going to put a lot of time in.

One thing to add, I am using the original launch 3DS (yes I know, I should probably upgrade, but it works fine) and the circle pad pro. Is there any other benefit apart from faster loading to using the New 3DS?
New 3DS also has a better framerate, particularly if you bring cats or play with multiple other people, better graphics, Miiverse screenshots, and a more responsive keyboard in online lobbies.

New 3DS also has a better framerate, particularly if you bring cats or play with multiple other people, better graphics, Miiverse screenshots, and a more responsive keyboard in online lobbies.

I have been trying to justify getting one. There was an offer the other day for £110. I have been spending too much recently.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Geez, people can not handle the Azure Rathalos/Tigrex G2 key at all. Every time I've tried, people faint left and right while fighting Tigrex. By the time we start fighting Rathalos, we've already got two carts. And then of course someone faints again and it's quest failed. Every single time.

I wish I could find a party that could handle it. =/

aechris

Holy shit!!!!! Just got two Diablos hardhorns on a single kill. This is the greatest day of my life.

I spit my milk across the room when I read this. It's hilarious because the hyperbole is strong, but I also completely understand. Like when it took me 34 Chaos Gore Magala kills to get one fucking Contrary Scale.

Geez, people can not handle the Azure Rathalos/Tigrex G2 key at all. Every time I've tried, people faint left and right while fighting Tigrex. By the time we start fighting Rathalos, we've already got two carts. And then of course someone faints again and it's quest failed. Every single time.

This was about an hour and a half ago, but if you want to put up the room I can knock it out with you.

Wolfe

I have been trying to justify getting one. There was an offer the other day for £110. I have been spending too much recently.

Don't forget the biggest overall improvement of eye tracking cameras that keep the 3D relatively locked to your eyes. No more "sweet spot" BS.

But as someone that's been using max blast 3D since day 1 I appreciate but don't often notice the improved 3D lol. Either way it's a huge upgrade for anyone that had issues with or disliked the 3D prior to the n3DS.

That said, the improved loading times are incredibly welcome and the increased framerate is super nice. You won't think of it most of the time but then at some point you'll be panning the camera or something and notice how smooth it looks, so nice lol.

After you get used to the nub it's pretty rad too.

Shengar

I learned it the hard way...
I'm doing four Eggstraction- The Reckoning to make my Kirin X set usable.
I actually like it to be honest, that is just stealin egg without killing the parent. This is of course only achievable if you build Loc Lac set with charmed in auto tracker skill and Felyne Lander+supercat. It gives the egg mission more dynamic, less annoying, less hassle, and more fun. Even more so since in Dunes there are many safe place for you to hide from the Tigrexes.

Rawk Hawk

Anyone have a 86-110 guild quest for Deviljho that they can share with me? Need him for parts for a few weapons.

I am also in the market for G Rank Deviljho for some parts, not sure if anyone responded to you but someone has one that would be awesome. I can't play for at least 12 hours, but just tossing it out there now, haha.

tuffy

I am also in the market for G Rank Deviljho for some parts, not sure if anyone responded to you but someone has one that would be awesome. I can't play for at least 12 hours, but just tossing it out there now, haha.
I do have a G rank Deviljho, level 120 or so, that I acquired from some randoms while trying to build a Vangis X waist piece. It's interesting because the quest just has a couple of rooms. It'll be another 12 hours before I'll be able to hop online to share it also.

Rawk Hawk

I do have a G rank Deviljho, level 120 or so, that I acquired from some randoms while trying to build a Vangis X waist piece. It's interesting because the quest just has a couple of rooms. It'll be another 12 hours before I'll be able to hop online to share it also.

Vangis X is exactly what I need as well, I'm still not sure what head piece I'm putting on my LBG set. I do need some M Tigrex for the gun itself, but should be able to kill a couple on lunch I think.

For the set I'm going with Ace body, Gog arms, Jho waist, Ace legs and then depending on the charms I have I will pick my head to fill things out. Likely Regios X Cap, but not sure what normal up charms I have.

tuffy

Vangis X is exactly what I need as well, I'm still not sure what head piece I'm putting on my LBG set. I do need some M Tigrex for the gun itself, but should be able to kill a couple on lunch I think.

For the set I'm going with Ace body, Gog arms, Jho waist, Ace legs and then depending on the charms I have I will pick my head to fill things out. Likely Regios X Cap, but not sure what normal up charms I have.
Tracking down the dreaded Deviljho Crook is always the hardest part, made slightly easier if there's some tail cutters in the room.

The Regios X Cap is almost too good. 3 slots and 4 points of Normal Up means it turns up in pretty much every normal shot armor set I have. I even like how it looks.

Shengar

Esurient X waist is a good alternatives to Vangis X waist. It doesn't need any crook to make, though the status of G Rank Savage Jho as expedition exclusive makes it just as hard to make. I'm saying this just so people keep their eye on G Rank expedition in case Savage Jho decide to visit Everwood while you still struggling with crook. It only need 4 bloodied ebonhides iirc.

Rawk Hawk

Esurient X waist is a good alternatives to Vangis X waist. It doesn't need any crook to make, though the status of G Rank Savage Jho as expedition exclusive makes it just as hard to make. I'm saying this just so people keep their eye on G Rank expedition in case Savage Jho decide to visit Everwood while you still struggling with crook. It only need 4 bloodied ebonhides iirc.

Ah, thanks! I was kind of under the impression a Jho GQ could turn savage (like Gore can go Chaos I believe?). So he is only in everwood.. I will keep an eye on that after my fights. I also have access to the Master's Test, which I haven't done yet. I'm debating giving that a couple tries and maybe get lucky in the rewards while also finishing off a quest I need.

I think just a torso up waist and M Tigrex parts for my gun and I'll be up and running (read: dying). Village Molten isn't bad, should be able to take him out on lunch, lol.

Tom_Cody

Silver Rathalos (10-Star Caravan mission) is such a pain in my asshole.

I triple carted to him on Saturday but I haven't touched the game since then due to finals. I was actually doing well in the fight, but he just-wouldn't-die. Goddamn. I completely ran out of items and then the deaths piled up quickly.

Tonight will be my first time back with the game since then and I'm looking forward to the rematch. I'm planning to really optimize my item load-out (for use and combination). Also, I did some damage calculations and it looks like my best bet will be rapid water arrows to his legs, with leg shots taking ~50% more damage than head shots. What a weird fight this is going to be trying to go for his legs...

At least I will be prepared for the length of the fight going in. High-rank Zinogre takes roughly 35 properly placed arrows from my current tier of bows to kill (from when I was farming a Jasper) and it looks like this is going to take something like 150 properly placed arrows (taking into account running out of power coatings). Christ.

I was in a very productive party of randoms doing G2 keys last night and that quest went down like butter. I play after 10 pacific so if I am on tonight I can hop on with you to help you out with that one.

tuffy

When I look at other people's armor I see that sometimes they have a little gem or star icon to the right of the decorations on some or all armor pieces. What is that?
That just means they've chosen a custom color from the palette for that piece instead of using one of the color presets. One of my Sororal pieces has it because I wanted custom hair color.

That just means they've chosen a custom color from the palette for that piece instead of using one of the color presets. One of my Sororal pieces has it because I wanted custom hair color.

Aaahhh that makes sense. Thanks. I was worried I was missing out on some super armor sphere or something. Thanks.

Beats

so, sometimes there are two damage charts on Kiranico for a monster. Is the second one for when it's enraged or some other state?

Leezard

so, sometimes there are two damage charts on Kiranico for a monster. Is the second one for when it's enraged or some other state?

Mostly for that, or if the monster takes more/less damage once you destroy a part on it like the Gravios belly.

Rawk Hawk

A productive lunch, is the best lunch. Got 4 M. Tigrex Fang+ and my LBG is now maxed out, all armor and decorations made except Deviljho waist.

Top Bottom