• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

I really hope Tigrexes disappear next game.

They won't, but I'm so sick of them in single player. Especially two frenzied ones in the same mission.

What can I use instead of the Empress piece in this build? Because I'm not going to beat this mission any time soon.

478398625e84406c6a4a62b7c8fe65d0.png

Leezard

I keep using Athena's tool to search for new good mixed armor sets but I really can't justify making most of the sets due to Star Knight + random talisman/gems being so good. It's a shame as I love making new sets, but when the weapon already has natural purple I don't want to use a mixed set with many points in handicraft.

They won't, but I'm so sick of them in single player. Especially two frenzied ones in the same mission.

What can I use instead of the Empress piece in this build? Because I'm not going to beat this mission any time soon.

You can use any 3-slot headpiece.

Rawk Hawk

Glitch you mean that lbg set? I'm using Regios x cap in place of that empress one.

See the picture now, yea I swapped it for Regios.b then chaotix8 was foolish enough to let me fight rajangs with it, hit by over half the beams.. So bad at lbg lol

You can use any 3-slot headpiece.

Glitch you mean that lbg set? I'm using Regios x cap in place of that empress one.

See the picture now, yea I swapped it for Regios.b then chaotix8 was foolish enough to let me fight rajangs with it, hit by over half the beams.. So bad at lbg lol

I was under the impression that blademaster armor couldn't be used with regular armor. Star Knight helm it is for now.

Oooh boy this does not look great. Fashion hunter offensive to be sure.

tuffy

Rajangs and LBG are a bad mix because when he's coming down with that lightning beam, the last place you want to be is caught in the middle of a rapid-fire barrage. I usually try to tackle him with the Regios HBG which takes advantage of all those attacks I'm dodging, but his LBG might be a little safer with the limiter off temporarily.
I was under the impression that blademaster armor couldn't be used with regular armor. Star Knight helm it is for now.
Gunner and Blademaster helms are usually interchangeable (except for Torso Up pieces), but making up a difference in skill points can be tricky.

Take a gunlance, profit.

Shengar

Rajangs and LBG are a bad mix because when he's coming down with that lightning beam, the last place you want to be is caught in the middle of a rapid-fire barrage. I usually try to tackle him with the Regios HBG which takes advantage of all those attacks I'm dodging, but his LBG might be a little safer with the limiter off temporarily.
I'm almost always use LBG against Rajang and all of my set are based around Sororal mixes which mean they all have Bonus Fire, but I never ever get caught up in a beam in the middle of firing.

tuffy

I'm almost always use LBG against Rajang and all of my set are based around Sororal mixes which mean they all have Bonus Fire, but I never ever get caught up in a beam in the middle of firing.
You're braver than I! Admittedly, I haven't practiced my LBG as much as I should lately, but I remember having a rough time against Bad Hair Day's Furious Rajang when trying rapid-fire. It re-taught me the importance of looking for big safe openings all over again.

So when did it become customary to teabag someone who's fainted? I got hit by the Gog beam because the beam animation got cancelled by someone (He recoiled from an attack, the beam never left his mouth, but I still blew up) and all three of the other hunters ran over to my corpse.

I need to just play with you guys.

Shengar

You're braver than I! Admittedly, I haven't practiced my LBG as much as I should lately, but I remember having a rough time against Bad Hair Day's Furious Rajang when trying rapid-fire. It re-taught me the importance of looking for big safe openings all over again.
Admittedly I rarely fought against Furious Rajang with LBG, but Apex Rajang not too far frim it isn't it? I carted to its beam more often because I'm running to the wrong spot than in the middle of rapid firing lol

jorgejjvr

Neogaf, please give a fair and detailed response.
I'm then between these two choices.

Star Knight with:
Challenger +2
Rodeo God
Steady Hand
Sharpness +1
Speed sharpening
Divine blessinh

Or

Death Stench with:
Bounty Hunter
Benediction
Bloodthirst

Even though Star Knight looks great and has lovely skills, I feel those skills are more superficial and aren't exactly needed (Challenger, Rodeo God, steady hand) even with an insect glaive. Plus, the armor itself is used everywhere and it's only getting more popular.

Meanwhile, Death stench is much rarer. When (or have often) have you seen someone with it? Plus I feel like the skills are great for survivability and a CB user (plus it's great for after the hunt). I don't know, death stench just has this alluring atmosphere that's so out of the norm and unusual. What do you guys think?

-Alternis

Edit: Don't be fooled, technically both sets have seven effects.

jorgejjvr

Challenger is one of the best skills in the game and steady hands is up there. Not superficial at all.

I just don't see the appeal. All Challenger +2 does is Increase attack by around 100-200 and increase affinity. I don't see why that's such a big deal. Steady hand is decent, but you never really bounce off anyway, even when you do it's usually an Apex monster anyway. Although the razor sharp it gives is pretty nice, again I feel it's not needed. Sharpness will decrease anyway.

-Alternis

Ultrabum

Neogaf, please give a fair and detailed response.
I'm then between these two choices.

Star Knight with:
Challenger +2
Rodeo God
Steady Hand
Sharpness +1
Speed sharpening
Divine blessinh

Or

Death Stench with:
Bounty Hunter
Benediction
Bloodthirst

Even though Star Knight looks great and has lovely skills, I feel those skills are more superficial and aren't exactly needed (Challenger, Rodeo God, steady hand) even with an insect glaive. Plus, the armor itself is used everywhere and it's only getting more popular.

Meanwhile, Death stench is much rarer. When (or have often) have you seen someone with it? Plus I feel like the skills are great for survivability and a CB user (plus it's great for after the hunt). I don't know, death stench just has this alluring atmosphere that's so out of the norm and unusual. What do you guys think?

-Alternis

Edit: Don't be fooled, technically both sets have seven effects.

This is such a silly question. Make them both of course, and use them both.

Next question.

tuffy

Admittedly I rarely fought against Furious Rajang with LBG, but Apex Rajang not too far frim it isn't it? I carted to its beam more often because I'm running to the wrong spot than in the middle of rapid firing lol
I suppose Furious Rajang is to Apex Rajang what Savage Deviljho is to Frenzied Deviljho. All I know for sure is that Bad Hair Rajang taught me I still had a lot to learn!
My brain can't. Knowing myself it's either one or the other. One will definitely end up being ignored and forgotten.
Take both on the same single-player quest, see which gets the job done faster, and choose that one. Given the first set is loaded with damage-boosting skills and the second set is mostly loaded with rewards-boosting skills or damage-reduction skills, I'd pick the former unless I was farming something easy for parts.

Beats

I just don't see the appeal. All Challenger +2 does is Increase attack by around 100-200 and increase affinity. I don't see why that's such a big deal. Steady hand is decent, but you never really bounce off anyway, even when you do it's usually an Apex monster anyway. Although the razor sharp it gives is pretty nice, again I feel it's not needed. Sharpness will decrease anyway.

-Alternis

Well, it's basically Attack Up (XL) and Crit Eye+3 in one skill when a monster is in rage which is almost all the time. It's good because it gives you a big damage boost and lets you finish hunts faster. That's pretty much why it's a big deal. : p

Those aren't small benefits especially in G rank when you have monsters being in anger most of the time. It's a 20% affinity boost, that's huge. Steady hand halves the sharpness loss and I've charmed in sharpness+1. That's a huge multiplier of damage. It's a great all arounder set that I've been able to tweak and adjust for a huge number of builds with different weapons. And Rodeo God might not come into play as often if you're not using an IG, but it's still a useful skill.

Meanwhile Bounty Hunter is only rewards, you've got divine blessing on both, and are you really going to chow down on steaks that often to get the stamina bonus? The only time I've ever felt the need to do that is with a dual blade set, which does better on the Star Knight set anyway because of the Sharpness+1 and Steady Hand bonus.

But you're right, I never see the Death armor because it's relic hunting and a game of RNG, which is not a game people want to play.

Rawk Hawk

Gunner and Blademaster helms are usually interchangeable (except for Torso Up pieces), but making up a difference in skill points can be tricky.

Yea lucky for us it was the high rank duo rajang, so the beam still only did like 3/4 hp, enough to recover from easy enough.

Wolfe

That's awesome. I wouldn't mind wearing that if it had that bounty hunter ability since who would say no to more rewards right?

Yeah I mean it's nothing special but I just thought it would be cool to have a set with both honed blade plus edge lore :p

Shengar

Challenger+2 isn't superficial, like at all. The only reason why I want to make full use of my Tigrex X and Brachydium set is because those both can give me Sharpness+1 and Challenger+2 at the same time without mixing. The affinity bonua basically makes weapon with negative 20% affinity and below do guaranteed full damage.
Well, it's basically Attack Up (XL) and Crit Eye+3 in one skill when a monster is in rage which is almost all the time. It's good because it gives you a big damage boost and lets you finish hunts faster. That's pretty much why it's a big deal. : p
Raging Brachydios despite its name strangely have short rage up time. If its rage all the time, my Challnger set should've finished it faster than my Unscathed one.
So' did Meo get the first shot?
More like get one-shotted

Wolff

OK, i really want to buy this game. Anyone here plays on the standard 3ds model? I wanted to know if you can play it without any hassle or if i should wait to get a new model. I ask because i can't get the new 3ds for now.

Aiustis

OK, i really want to buy this game. Anyone here plays on the standard 3ds model? I wanted to know if you can play it without any hassle or if i should wait to get a new model. I ask because i can't get the new 3ds for now.

I have a friend that plays with the regular 3ds and one that plays with 2ds. It plays okay for both of them.

Edit:
If anyone wants a casual hunt I'm resource gathering: 53-8074-4321-4662

Shengar

What does neg affinity do exactly? Does it just cancel out positve affinity? Is it possible to have an effective affinity less than 0%?
it's basically critical strike as in any other game, a percentage where you damage output will be increased by 25%. Negative affinity therefore, is a chance that your output damage reduced by 25%.

Top Bottom