• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Beats

So what do the end game G rank hunters do for fun now that you've pretty much hunted and done everything a thousand times over?

-Alternis

Now that progression is pretty much done for me I just hunt whatever I feel like and make new stuff if I want to. The hunting part of the game is still fun for me even though I've done mostly everything a bunch. I like to try new armor builds and experiment with other weapon types as well though I usually stick to the SnS and HBG. I also like trying to improve and do better, so I'll try to defeat a monster faster than before using the same build.

Hunting together with others here and my friends is still fun too. : >

Shengar

Hunting together with others here and my friends is still fun too. : >

After a month of the game release and many gaffers switch to other games, namely Bloodborne, I realize how progressing together is a big part of the fun. It's no wonder MH become a cultural phenomenon in Japan and why the game is highly focused and most enjoyable on coop experience. You might get all what you want, but perhaps your friend still doesn't have his crook yet, so you will help him to get it, extending the game without any forced or artificially lengthening that was done by yourself. I was once said that playing with random doesn't have the same spark, this is what I'm talking about.

Wolfe

Play however makes you happy, people aren't big on the Metroid armor but I'm gladly using it all the time online.

Shengar

Play however makes you happy, people aren't big on the Metroid armor but I'm gladly using it all the time online.

I'm fine with people wear what they want as long is it not hinder the hunt. But I'm still legit shocked whenever I see people wearing Akantor X set. It is probably one of the most awful set skill and gem slot wise, even more so considering the amount of effort to get them all.

I forgot to mention that my last everwoods run had all the fun monsters show up. Savage Jho and Shrouded Nersylla started it off then Rathian and Rathalos stopped by to say hi and finally Yian Garuga said sup. Thankfully they all died quickly enough and gave me what I needed without having to actually do a quest for their parts.

Shengar

There should be Everwood hell session: Opened by Savage Jho and White Monoblos, then the Blos couple come in and then closing performance should be done by Yian Garuga.
......Actually this could be very fun end game content if it done by a group.

Renewed

There should be Everwood hell session: Opened by Savage Jho and White Monoblos, then the Blos couple come in and then closing performance should be done by Yian Garuga.
......Actually this could be very fun end game content if it done by a group.

I remember that after I hit G Bronze Crown, I was reminded to do Expeditions so I got to that. Up against a Diablos at first, but then a Jho arrived and a White Monoblos in that area after a bit. Didn't even want to stick around so I just took my armour pieces and GTFO.

Wolfe

I'm fine with people wear what they want as long is it not hinder the hunt.

Yeah for sure, as long as the person can handle themselves and contribute while not carting multiple times then they can use whatever they want imo.

Anyway I'm in need of some zenith gems so I made a room for apex hunting in anyone is still around and interested.

56-8740-5023-0890

jorgejjvr

I'm fine with people wear what they want as long is it not hinder the hunt. But I'm still legit shocked whenever I see people wearing Akantor X set. It is probably one of the most awful set skill and gem slot wise, even more so considering the amount of effort to get them all.

Have you seen the wrothhide set (from Scorching Crimson Fatalis)? It comes with like two or three slots (which are all single slot I believe) and three skills which aren't exactly the greatest.

-Alternis

Wolfe

Have you seen the wrothhide set (from Scorching Crimson Fatalis)? It comes with like two or three slots (which are all single slot I believe) and three skills which aren't exactly the greatest.

-Alternis

Not only that but it's ugly :(

I actually don't mind the black fatalis version simply due to the different color palette heh.

Shengar

-Alternis
It have awful negative skill, but at least it have Wroth Awaken and Steady Hand. Akantor X? Critical Eye+2, Handicraft, REGULAR Earplug, with Blunt Edge negative. I can't believe how this could be when Regios X and Rath Soul z is much better and easier to make.
Not only that but it's ugly :(

I actually don't mind the black fatalis version simply due to the different color palette heh.

We gonna take revenge on those two ponies, I swear by my blood.

Wolfe

It have awful negative skill, but at least it have Wroth Awaken and Steady Hand. Akantor X? Critical Eye+2, Handicraft, REGULAR Earplug, with Blunt Edge negative. I can't believe how this could be when Regios X and Rath Soul z is much better and easier to make.

I ended up making it just for the hell of it one day, not only was I underwhelmed with the skills but I also found the looks kind of boring :(

We gonna take revenge on those two ponies, I swear by my blood.

Man I swear when those two start juggling you it doesn't matter how much def you've got, they quickly whittle it away while keeping you completely locked down. I love Status Res for a fight like that (which I wasn't using a set with at the time for whatever reason) since getting stunned/paralized only increases your chances of eating a second hit instead of getting out of the way.

Gotta admit, I spent a solid 5 minutes eyeing my male hunter in Zero Suit armor.

I love it.

image.php

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I realized yesterday that I need to build a decent beginner High Rank set. Any suggestions on what I can start farming? My first run in with HR Nerscylla was painful. I main hammer, but dabble in SA and GS.

Yrael

I realized yesterday that I need to build a decent beginner High Rank set. Any suggestions on what I can start farming? My first run in with HR Nerscylla was painful. I main hammer, but dabble in SA and GS.

I started with a High Rank Jaggi set, but then used a Mono S set for most of the rest of High Rank. It served me very well (I main a SA).

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I went Velociprey S -> Tetsu S -> Rath Soul (Azure Rathalos)

The Rath with upgrades is carrying me to G-Rank without much problems, it has great skills for blademasters.

Rawk Hawk

I was like Yrael, I went Jaggi S. I believe my next set was Double Gore after that. Here is a list of sets on Reddit which includes the pieces for Double Gore, this was my reference until G basically.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2xhiqm/mh4u_armory_low_high_g/

The nice thing about trying to build the Hawk set for gathering purposes is that I'll probably get enough Dah'ren parts to make the Grand Gloaming set. It isn't the best but it looks super good.

All right anyone want to join me for another attempt at wycoon upgrade quest stormy knight?

39-5996-9170-5326

Thanks to everyone who joined last night, especially Z. Stormy Knight was just the tip of the iceberg. We got all of the wyceum quests done and after a quick harvest tour to gather some Emperor Hoppers I now have a fully upgraded wyceum and a drive wystone!

So just got this yesterday. Been a while since I've played a MH game; longtime MHF Unite player (close to 170 hours logged).

Going to run through the ropes for a while n then head online. Would love to play with fellow GAFers. Long Sword player here.

Tom_Cody

Can anyone explain to me how Guild Quest rewards work? I'm HR-7 and I have only done a couple up through this point. I need Ruby Basarios parts for a few bows and the RB only appears in Guild Quests.

Are there any quest rewards given, or do you just get the monster rewards? If so, does the level dictate the monster part rewards or does it just impact the relic equipment that you can get?

I hope that made sense.

I just saw some pictures of the Escadora relic gear and yeah, I need that in my life. Does anybody know what series and or monster it drops from?

shuusin

Neo Member
Can anyone explain to me how Guild Quest rewards work? I'm HR-7 and I have only done a couple up through this point. I need Ruby Basarios parts for a few bows and the RB only appears in Guild Quests.

Are there any quest rewards given, or do you just get the monster rewards? If so, does the level dictate the monster part rewards or does it just impact the relic equipment that you can get?

I hope that made sense.

If you just need some RB pieces for jewels or armors you can just look for them in Expeditions. There might be something you have to do before they show up though, I don't recall it off hand.

Are there still any newcomer hunters on here? I'm wondering what you guys have thought about your first (or most dedicated) MH. What're your thoughts?

-Alternis

This is my first MH. I'm about 180 hours in now, G3, just got my wystone upgrades finished last night.

I have to say, this might be my favorite game of all time, and I'm kicking myself for not trying the series earlier.

What sets this game apart is:

1. So much content (monsters, weapons, armor).
2. Difficulty is just right for me. Not too hard, not too easy. The death penalty is just the loss of whatever items I used in that hunt, making it fun to try new things without worrying too much about dying. But actually completing new challenging quests can be very difficult.
3. Character progression (weapons and armor) feels just right and appropriate for the content. Like, when I hit G rank it was pretty brutal at first, then I got my Regios X set and things really started to come together and I didn't feel "under-leveled" any more. Then I hit G3 and the pain is ramping up again.
4. Online has been a blast, totally stable for me. The community in general is super cool.
5. Monster design and variety. I love the fact that we have everything from a humble Great Jaggi to a towering Dalamadur, with everything in between, each with its own attack patterns and animations and complex behaviors. I can really tell the passion and feeling that the designers put into these monsters, they feel like representations of the designers themselves. Just so cool. And on top of that, I'm G3 and still seeing new monsters for the first time. Last night I just saw my first Rajang ever. And just 2 days ago I saw my first Chameleos ever. And I have yet to see some monsters, like Kirin.
6. I don't know, I could go on forever with the praise. The main downside, for me, is that this is only on 3DS. I would love to have a version on home console with amazing graphics. Wouldn't it be cool if we had MH4U on console and 3DS and could seamlessly carry our save between the 2?

Tom_Cody

If you just need some RB pieces for jewels or armors you can just look for them in Expeditions. There might be something you have to do before they show up though, I don't recall it off hand.
Yeah, they pop up in Expeditions too but I don't want to wait for that to roll around. Especially since I will need to do multiple fights to get all the parts I need.

I'm going to have to do the fights either way, I'm just curious if I should factor in any quest rewards when doing a drop calculation:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zg57GkPQHfSnUDyGS7mh45jnYxL89GADAcePUxsZ0mk/edit#gid=0

upandaway

ֿ5. Monster design and variety. I love the fact that we have everything from a humble Great Jaggi to a towering Dalamadur, with everything in between, each with its own attack patterns and animations and complex behaviors. I can really tell the passion and feeling that the designers put into these monsters, they feel like representations of the designers themselves. Just so cool. And on top of that, I'm G3 and still seeing new monsters for the first time. Last night I just saw my first Rajang ever. And just 2 days ago I saw my first Chameleos ever. And I have yet to see some monsters, like Kirin.
I'm losing my mind thinking about when the next Monster Hunter Illustrations book will hit. I need all of that MH4U monster art goodness.

brau

I'm losing my mind thinking about when the next Monster Hunter Illustrations book will hit. I need all of that MH4U monster art goodness.

Totally with you on that one. I really like the new monsters. They look pretty epic, plus all the new armor sets and weapons are pretty amazing.

jorgejjvr

Totally with you on that one. I really like the new monsters. They look pretty epic, plus all the new armor sets and weapons are pretty amazing.

I think one of the main creators of the game stated that Zinogre is one of his most favorite monsters to both draw and animate (though I think that was stated back in the 3rd generation)

-Alternis

Tzmhero

I know that feeling. It's personally a pain for me since I need to get a weapon of each element in my preferred weapon class since I make use of a monster's weakness. Even worse since I use the glaive xP I'm glad you're enjoying it though, and hopefully you can play more on the future! What exactly do you like about it?

-Alternis

I like a little bit of everything. I really need to get so I actually refer to things by their proper name though. Really, the thing I like the most is playing with my friends. I haven't played too many multiplayer games in the past, so there is just something really satisfying about going out with a crew and just ... beating the ever loving crap out of something. Then wearing it. And beating up it's friends with it's face/tail/what have you.

On another note, i FINALLY got the Gore Magala's Feeler's figured out. Mount it while it's in rage mode then just start beating the crap out of it's face with the Switch Axe's axe mode infinite combo. Using the Popo Tongue/Heaven Breed food combo to get attack (m) helps too.

tuffy

Do we now have a G rank Yian Garuga without resorting to Expeditions/GQ in the Metroid Event Quest? Now I can farm G rank Garuga armor a lot more easily if so.
That's what I did. I only wanted a couple of Garuga X armor pieces so it was pretty easy to find some people farming the event quests for Metroid rewards and tag along for the Garuga parts instead.

jorgejjvr

I like a little bit of everything. I really need to get so I actually refer to things by their proper name though. Really, the thing I like the most is playing with my friends. I haven't played too many multiplayer games in the past, so there is just something really satisfying about going out with a crew and just ... beating the ever loving crap out of something. Then wearing it. And beating up it's friends with it's face/tail/what have you.

On another note, i FINALLY got the Gore Magala's Feeler's figured out. Mount it while it's in rage mode then just start beating the crap out of it's face with the Switch Axe's axe mode infinite combo. Using the Popo Tongue/Heaven Breed food combo to get attack (m) helps too.

Ah! Congrats on the feeler! That was one of my first obstacles too :p I too admit a large part of monster hunter is the social aspect. It's always fun to play with friends (online or physical) just to see their reactions or how they feel, I find it quite interesting.

-Alternis

Top Bottom