• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

JimPanzer

I'm building my first GS set, I have these skills set:

Crrit Draw
Sharpness +1
Sheath Control
Focus

now my question is, what other skills do I go for? I could do:
1. Attack Up S + Negate Stun
2. Mind's Eye
3. Attack Up M
4. Attack Up S + Critical Eye+1
5. Evasion+1 + Negate Stun
6. Evasion+1 + Attack Up S
7. Evade Extender

what do you guys think? Anything else I should aim for? I love Evade Dist Up, but I'm not sure if it's worth it on GS.

Shengar

I'm building my first GS set, I have these skills set:

Crrit Draw
Sharpness +1
Sheath Control
Focus

now my question is, what other skills do I go for? I could do:
1. Attack Up S + Negate Stun
2. Mind's Eye
3. Attack Up M
4. Attack Up S + Critical Eye+1
5. Evasion+1 + Negate Stun
6. Evasion+1 + Attack Up S
7. Evade Extender

what do you guys think? Anything else I should aim for? I love Evade Dist Up, but I'm not sure if it's worth it on GS.
Attack Up S with Evasion+1. Evade Extender is kinda moot since you will move around with weapon sheathed.

Leezard

Does anyone know what monster the relic GS Flash is supposed to be built from? I've tried searching around a bit but found nothing of interest. Flash is a generic enough name to be hard to find, apparently. I did not find it in the GS trees of MHFU, MH3U nor MH4U.

The GS looks like it would be easily identifiable due to half of it being monster parts.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Does anyone know what monster the relic GS Flash is supposed to be built from? I've tried searching around a bit but found nothing of interest. Flash is a generic enough name to be hard to find, apparently. I did not find it in the GS trees of MHFU, MH3U nor MH4U.

The GS looks like it would be easily identifiable due to half of it being monster parts.
It's just a renamed/alternate colored Rathalos sword.

jorgejjvr

Why do people find people find Stygian Zinogre so difficult? Personally, I feel like he was much harder back in MH3U when he was G rank exclusive.

-Alternis

Shengar

Why do people find people find Stygian Zinogre so difficult? Personally, I feel like he was much harder back in MH3U when he was G rank exclusive.

-Alternis
-Dragon damage and unlike Jho, almost all of its attacks are infused with dragon
-that fact above combined with the fact that many good armor set have negative dragon res makes its attack ultra painful, not counting dragonblight
-Styg Zin are like lancers, following rule of three when attacking. Despite that, it string if combos are pretty fast and it is always let out a couple homing dracophage bug that makes windows of opportunity rather small

upandaway

I'm more or less done with weapons that aren't Lance and GS, I think. I've gotten a good enough grasp on the IG and CB to arena with them and I'm starting to get tired of them, lancing is way more fun.

Of course I want guns too but it's so annoying to keep so many armor sets updated. I'm gonna skip guns for G1 (unless someone has an easy to make recommendation) and hopefully pick up a good set for them in G2.

upandaway

Pierce, huh... I guess I can use my Seregios HBG for that.

I may wanna do the Kecha X armor too for drowning Gravios with my LBG

Shengar

Thanks - now I have a new question.

The video makes mention that Bombardier increases your Blast element by 20%, but not your Blast damage. What does that mean? I don't see monsters that are weak to Blast, so I'm not sure how 100 vs 120 blast element correlates to damage.

That mean blast will more likely to occur.

tuffy

How do they get the monsters to sleep so quickly? And it looks like this wouldn't work on elder dragons, not trappable, right?
The God's Archipelago can fire level 2 sleep and paralysis shots at a very fast rate given enough recoil reduction. So against the Brachy the status guy leads off with sleep shots, everyone places bombs and explodes them, then he paralyzes it, then lays down a shock trap, then he probably combines more ammo to paralyze it again, and so on.

Though elder dragons aren't trappable, most of them are still susceptible to status effects. So variations on the technique are still possible. I've seen a run where a pack of dragon shot LBGs brings down a level 140 Daora in about a minute.

Tom_Cody

In what order should I do the caravan quests after reaching 6* with HR4? There seems to be two paths and I'm not sure what their relative difficulty is (i.e., what order to do them along side the guild quests if I want to keep the difficulty leveled). First involves unlocking more quests in 6* as you increase your HR through high-rank guild quests, while the other involves unlocking higher levels of caravan quests ignoring HR until you reach G rank (which I am assuming was added after the fact with 4G/4U).
I've read this three times and I'm still not entirely sure what you're asking. I am going to give a very broad answer in hopes of helping you out.

The game has 3 tiers (generally speaking): Low Rank, High Rank, and G Rank. Low Rank is Caravan (offline) 1-star through 6-star and Guild (online) 1-star through 3-star. High Rank is Caravan 7-star through 10-star and Guild 4-star through 7-star (plus some 6-star caravan missions that need to be unlocked online). G rank is Guild 8-star through 10-star (plus some special 10-star caravan missions. There are also "Guild Quests" that level up but I'm not going to get into that.

Again, I literally can't understand what you're asking, but once you reach the end of low rank you can either stick around to craft equipment and/or tick off mission completions or you can move up to high rank and progress with the game. I personally completed every single Caravan mission as I was going through so I never paid attention to key quests or quest unlock conditions; I just did everything. There's no right answer. It's about the journey, not the destination.

I've been fighting the SP silver rath for a good chunk of this morning wondering why his tail wasn't giving me lashes, and I just realized that he's an HR, not G.

I reeeeally wish SP was clearer on what rank these things were.

So is there not a G-rank Silver Rather and therefore this effort to make the fire Rath CB has been for naught?

Leezard

I've been fighting the SP silver rath for a good chunk of this morning wondering why his tail wasn't giving me lashes, and I just realized that he's an HR, not G.

I reeeeally wish SP was clearer on what rank these things were.

So is there not a G-rank Silver Rather and therefore this effort to make the fire Rath CB has been for naught?
Correct.

Yrael

Wow, the Chameleos armour set looks like it has a great set of skills. I might possibly make that my next goal.

Tom_Cody

Thanks - now I have a new question.

The video makes mention that Bombardier increases your Blast element by 20%, but not your Blast damage. What does that mean? I don't see monsters that are weak to Blast, so I'm not sure how 100 vs 120 blast element correlates to damage.

That mean blast will more likely to occur.
Right. Blast occurs whenever the counter fills up, so the increase in blast element increases the counter more quickly, but not the actual damage from the explosions.

On this topic, I crafted this high-rank blast pairing over the last couple days:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor?a=1245,1246,1247,1248,1249
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/bow/kelbi-strongshot

I never played MH3U, but the Kelbi slingshot cheese factor is strong. Spread 3 at charge level 2 plus FastCharge from the Lagiacrus armor means that I can fire nearly continuously. I am having so much fun with this.

Tom_Cody

The God's Archipelago can fire level 2 sleep and paralysis shots at a very fast rate given enough recoil reduction. So against the Brachy the status guy leads off with sleep shots, everyone places bombs and explodes them, then he paralyzes it, then lays down a shock trap, then he probably combines more ammo to paralyze it again, and so on.

Though elder dragons aren't trappable, most of them are still susceptible to status effects. So variations on the technique are still possible. I've seen a run where a pack of dragon shot LBGs brings down a level 140 Daora in about a minute.
Link please!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Right. Blast occurs whenever the counter fills up, so the increase in blast element increases the counter more quickly, but not the actual damage from the explosions.

On this topic, I crafted this high-rank blast pairing over the last couple days:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor?a=1245,1246,1247,1248,1249
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/bow/kelbi-strongshot

I never played MH3U, but the Kelbi slingshot cheese factor is strong. Spread 3 at charge level 2 plus FastCharge from the Lagiacrus armor means that I can fire nearly continuously. I am having so much fun with this.

Is this still as broken as it was in MH3U?

Purdy

Well after going online I was told I needed to craft some armour, this was the best full set I could craft, surprised it looks so good D:

Hope its actually decent though haha

zlCfzTU2NnQ0I0JzkH

Tom_Cody

Enjoy!

This one's a little different because they're foregoing a status guy entirely and just use the sheer power of all their dragon shots to stagger-lock Daora to death.
Damn man...

I haven't gotten tired of the bow yet, but I'm looking forward to learning other weapon classes eventually.
Nope, heavily nerfed to the point of near uselessness I heard.
I think it's more that it went from OP to merely being properly balanced.

The Great Kelbi Deershot has 270 blast at charge level 2 with Spread 4. The numbers work out as follows:

270/10 * .85 (for charge level 2) * 5 (5 shots for Spread 4). This works out to 115 blast damage per shot at roughly 1 shot per second (this is very much a guess) with FastCharge.

I believe my calculation is correct, but I'm certainly happy to have someone point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.
Yeah, but with Tom_Cody above saying it's cheese is strong, I wasn't sure how it fared. I never built the Kelbi Bow in 3U because I hated (and still can't really stand) bows.
TBH, I have no idea how this compares to other weapon options, I just know that it is fun to fire a sling shot at monsters while explosions occur perpetually.

Shengar

That's a little extreme.

I think it's more that it went from OP to merely being properly balanced.

The Great Kelbi Deershot has 270 blast at charge level 2 with Spread 4. The numbers work out as follows:

270/10 * .85 (for charge level 2) * 5 (5 shots for Spread 4). This works out to 115 blast damage per shot at roughly 1 shot per second (this is very much a guess) with FastCharge.

I believe my calculation is correct, but I'm certainly happy to have someone point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

Well, I just heard it from other people. Perhaps they went hyperbole because they expect another overpowered weapon only to meet properly balanced weapon instead.

Tom_Cody

Well after going online I was told I needed to craft some armour, this was the best full set I could craft, surprised it looks so good D:

Hope its actually decent though haha

zlCfzTU2NnQ0I0JzkH
I also crafted the Nerscylla armor during low rank. Yeah, it does look great. 4 Ultimate gives out some great looking armor sets early on. The Tetsucabara sets are nice as well.

Don't worry about about armor too much early on. Low rank armor sets have roughly equal defense (just make sure to upgrade with armor sphere) and skills don't really become useful until a ways into High rank.

If you do want to experiment with armor sets a bit, here are some recommendations:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2xhiqm/mh4u_armory_low_high_g

Wow, the Chameleos armour set looks like it has a great set of skills. I might possibly make that my next goal.
Let me know whether or not it's worth it. I want to make that set and use it with the Chameleos Blades (actually, I'm mostly interested in the blades, but the armor is good, I'll make it).

Purdy

I also crafted the Nerscylla armor during low rank. Yeah, it does look great. 4 Ultimate gives out some great looking armor sets early on. The Tetsucabara sets are nice as well.

Don't worry about about armor too much early on. Low rank armor sets have roughly equal defense (just make sure to upgrade with armor sphere) and skills don't really become useful until a ways into High rank.

If you do want to experiment with armor sets a bit, here are some recommendations:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2xhiqm/mh4u_armory_low_high_g

Cheers mate, saved that post and will read through later.

Just went into an online game, four people doing Dah'ren Mohran and two left after two minutes, got him to the final phase but team mate died twice and myself once, no idea how far it was to go but that was a long fight :(

Maybe I should host my own rooms and work through my own quests

Shengar

Let me know whether or not it's worth it. I want to make that set and use it with the Chameleos Blades (actually, I'm mostly interested in the blades, but the armor is good, I'll make it).

Are we talking the regular Mizuha set or its G Rank version? The latter is no doubt, one of the best full set skill-wise, especially for status attacker. Innate Handicraft+4, easy to gem in HR Earplugs, and Windres Hi. I swear that this armor set somehow made in mind for hunting Kushala Daora.

Tom_Cody

Cheers mate, saved that post and will read through later.

Just went into an online game, four people doing Dah'ren Mohran and two left after two minutes, got him to the final phase but team mate died twice and myself once, no idea how far it was to go but that was a long fight :(

Maybe I should host my own rooms and work through my own quests
Dah'ren Mohran is essentially the final boss of low rank, so it sounds like you got a bit ahead of yourself.

My advice to you would be to select a room that is your specific rank. Right when you log-in, one of the fields is something like "going for" and then you can select 3-star (or whatever rank you are on). From there it will present you with 20 room (5 pages of 4 rooms each) and you can choose a hall with a few people already in it. I would also add that you probably want to check to make sure that the people in the hall are actually in the hall and aren't already on a mission.

I don't know if that is helpful advice to you or not.

Just made the final upgrade for my chameleos blades last night to get them to rare 10. My first rare 10 weapon actually. I can't wait to try them out. I liked how they upgraded from battle axes to these very slender beautiful blades.

I also had my eye on the chameleos set. Does status also work with blast? Or is that just bombardier?

Purdy

Dah'ren Mohran is essentially the final boss of low rank, so it sounds like you got a bit ahead of yourself.

My advice to you would be to select a room that is your specific rank. Right when you log-in, one of the fields is something like "going for" and then you can select 3-star (or whatever rank you are on). From there it will present you with 20 room (5 pages of 4 rooms each) and you can choose a hall with a few people already in it. I would also add that you probably want to check to make sure that the people in the hall are actually in the hall and aren't already on a mission.

I don't know if that is helpful advice to you or not.

The thing is the host was hr1 and the other two were hr1 and hr2 so I thought it'd be fine, as I've only been joining rooms with hr1 hosts as that's mine

When I saw the reward was 11k I was a bit surprised. Managed to get on his back and mine him a bit though :D

Shengar

Just made the final upgrade for my chameleos blades last night to get them to rare 10. My first rare 10 weapon actually. I can't wait to try them out. I liked how they upgraded from battle axes to these very slender beautiful blades.

I also had my eye on the chameleos set. Does status also work with blast? Or is that just bombardier?

Its critstatus works on blast, but Status skill is only for sleep, par, and poison.

Riposte

I've read this three times and I'm still not entirely sure what you're asking. I am going to give a very broad answer in hopes of helping you out.

The game has 3 tiers (generally speaking): Low Rank, High Rank, and G Rank. Low Rank is Caravan (offline) 1-star through 6-star and Guild (online) 1-star through 3-star. High Rank is Caravan 7-star through 10-star and Guild 4-star through 7-star (plus some 6-star caravan missions that need to be unlocked online). G rank is Guild 8-star through 10-star (plus some special 10-star caravan missions. There are also "Guild Quests" that level up but I'm not going to get into that.

Again, I literally can't understand what you're asking, but once you reach the end of low rank you can either stick around to craft equipment and/or tick off mission completions or you can move up to high rank and progress with the game. I personally completed every single Caravan mission as I was going through so I never paid attention to key quests or quest unlock conditions; I just did everything. There's no right answer. It's about the journey, not the destination.

I'll try to rephrase it:

In addition to the high rank Caravan quests you mentioned (going through 7*-10*), more quests get added to 6* based on your progress in the gathering hall / your HR.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Caravan_Quests#6.E2.98.85_Caravan_Quests

So basically, Caravan quests seem to split off into groups: 6* quests that continue to be unlocked while getting through high rank gathering hall quests (how it was in the original game?) and several new ranks that are independent from the gathering hall until G-rank (added with 4U?). I was wondering how these two lines compared with each other in difficulty, so as what order I should do everything. Are they both high rank?

I'm particularly interested in "The Caravaneer's Challenge", which I assume was the ultimate offline quest in MH4 vanilla. I don't want to be overgeared for it.

Got around to makin the Uniqlo stuff last night and even though it's only high rank armor I figured if I could get enough true armor spheres I can get it to G levels easily enough.

Tom_Cody

I'll try to rephrase it:

In addition to the high rank Caravan quests you mentioned (going through 7*-10*), more quests get added to 6* based on your progress in the gathering hall / your HR.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Caravan_Quests#6.E2.98.85_Caravan_Quests

So basically, Caravan quests seem to split off into groups: 6* quests that continue to be unlocked while getting through high rank gathering hall quests (how it was in the original game?) and several new ranks that are independent from the gathering hall until G-rank (added with 4U?). I was wondering how these two lines compared with each other in difficulty, so as what order I should do everything. Are they both high rank?

I'm particularly interested in "The Caravaneer's Challenge", which I assume was the ultimate offline quest in MH4 vanilla. I don't want to be overgeared for it.
I was confused about this as well when I reached this point in the game.

They aren't two branches, it's just that there are extra bonus missions in 6-star caravan that are unlocked in the online mode. 7-star caravan is the normal progression path through the game once you reach that point. Those 6-star missions all have brief story dialogue and the monsters are high rank (despite being in 6-star). I believe one or more special weapons are unlocked through them, but this isn't relevant to the bow so I don't know for certain.

I believe "The Caravaneer's Challenge" is essentially the ultimate single player challenge for high rank and "The Master's Test" is the ultimate G rank single player challenge. Rarity level 7 equipment is the peak for high rank, so I guess you could limit yourself to that if you don't want to be overpowered.

Again, there aren't specifically 2 branches, they are just two groupings of high rank missions. You could be correct about the explanation being 4 vanilla content versus 4 Ultimate content, but I personally don't know about this.

Are we talking the regular Mizuha set or its G Rank version? The latter is no doubt, one of the best full set skill-wise, especially for status attacker. Innate Handicraft+4, easy to gem in HR Earplugs, and Windres Hi. I swear that this armor set somehow made in mind for hunting Kushala Daora.

That would make sense considering it was explicitly designed for hunting Kushala Daora in Freedom Unite. It even had a skill called "Anti-Daora" in Freedom Unite. I never made the armor in that game, though.

PrankT

Got around to makin the Uniqlo stuff last night and even though it's only high rank armor I figured if I could get enough true armor spheres I can get it to G levels easily enough.
True armor spheres are the worst since it's challenging to find a monster in the correct range. Good luck with that.

tuffy

True armor spheres are the worst since it's challenging to find a monster in the correct range. Good luck with that.
I've gotten a lot of Tru spheres by polishing and trading in relics I had no plans to use.

It's also possible to combine Armor Stones for them, though getting stones is a challenge of its own (low rank Dah'ren farming?).

Beats

Well, I just heard it from other people. Perhaps they went hyperbole because they expect another overpowered weapon only to meet properly balanced weapon instead.

For most monsters it's still pretty good and it's great for breaking parts quickly, but there are a few monsters where it's not worth bringing at all (Molten Tigrex, Raging/Normal Brachydios, Teostra) and then there are monsters that take can take a lot of damage from raw attack (Testu family, Zamtrios family, Rajang and a few others maybe) so for these ones it might be better to not use it.

It's great on the -blos family if you want to break their horns fast since they don't take a lot of raw damage when hitting the head and blast does a lot of damage to them when the explosion happens.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, trying to figure out armor sets is a fucking headache.

I am trying to build a set with Knockout King and either Attack Up or Evade Distance. Where do I begin in HR?

Top Bottom