• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Oye, without the normal cheese to kill Black Diablos, she's much much tougher. Carted twice during an expedition that also included another Savage Jho and regular Jho.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
First time Monster Hunter player here. :) Any tips? I'm just doing quests and trying to upgrade my stuff.

Currently using the steel Greatsword because the bone one seems slower and dulls fast as hell.

I just tried to do a G-rank Yian Garuga expedition. Oh my......

They took his attack power and super charged it. I don't think I've had my face wiped so hard into the ground ever. I died probably 9-10 times before it finally fled, but at least I got a few break rewards. Difficulty that high is a bit discouraging.

First time Monster Hunter player here. :) Any tips? I'm just doing quests and trying to upgrade my stuff.

Currently using the steel Greatsword because the bone one seems slower and dulls fast as hell.

Oh boy, where to start... actually, take a look towards the bottom of page 121, we had some good beginner tips there.

Oh and FYI, all weapons of a given type have the exact same moveset and speed. So steel greatsword/bone greatsword/endgame greatsword will all be the same in that regard.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

You might want to start with a sword and shield weapon, also you want to get a complete armor set.

Beats

Some tips from people posted earlier in the thread:

• After you complete the first few tutorial missions, there are a bunch of training missions for each weapon. Those are good quests for trying out weapons to see which ones click with you.
  • Try to watch each new monster for a bit so you get used to how they move and what attacks they have. Monsters have "tells" that show you what attacks they're about to use. You have 50 minutes for each quest so don't feel like you need to rush.
  • This is a slower-paced, more deliberate action game. You can't go in hacking and slashing and expect to survive. In general, you'll be going in for a couple of hits and then backing out.

• Don't get hit. This is priority #1 when fighting any large monster. Getting hit sucks. First of all monsters just generally hit like a truck, especially as you get farther in the game. Secondly they often inflict all sorts of nasty secondary effects such as blights, defense down, stun, poison, etc. Thirdly, you can't just instantly pop healing or status recovery items. Your weapon must be sheathed (except Sword and Shield) and recovery items have a lengthy animation that leaves you vulnerable.
  • Look up Gaijin Hunter's tutorials on Youtube for whatever weapon you want to use.
  • Don't confuse a monster being tired with a monster being weak enough to capture. Limping and choosing to go to sleep are the only sure signs it's ready for capture, not drooling, tripping, etc.
  • Go to the options menu and set the text to instantly display.
  • If the supply box gives you flash bombs, poison throwing knives or other consumable items beyond the usual first aid meds, rations, and such they always give you, that's the game's way of hinting to you that a monster in the quest is weak to it.

Yes, that first point is a similar mindset to Bloodborne (I assume--I've only played Demon's Souls a bit). Except you have to know the enemy better and position yourself smarter because you have even more limited movement, less invincibility frames on dodges, etc.

By all means feel free to ask questions. This is one of those games where you're going to be learning things even 100+ hours in.

Ok this was my first MH ever as well, and now I'm G2 after god knows how many hours (probably over 150 at this point).

One of the first things I wish I had known more about at the start is the lock on system. It's not like Souls. To start, you can't lock on to smaller monsters at all. After a few hours you'll be ignoring the small monsters altogether.

For large monsters, touch the monster icon in the touchscreen to select the large monster, but only if you're in the same area and have both seen each other. Once selected, pressing L will swivel the camera to the monster, but will not lock on. You have to keep hitting L to swivel the camera to the monster. The reason they do this is because you're going to be hitting the monster in specific hitzones (head, leg, tail, etc) for a variety of reasons. If the lock on was like Souls, you'd always be hitting basically the same area, which would be disadvantageous in many situations.

The different hitzones on monsters can be used to either exploit weaknesses (like maybe the head is particularly weak to fire), or to break those parts to get specific materials for your weapon and armor upgrades.

There are no classes or character levels in the game that affect your stats or abilities. There are sort-of-levels called Hunter Ranks but they don't impart any benefit aside from providing access to higher level quests. HR 1-3 is Low Rank, HR 4-7 is High Rank, and HR 8+ is G Rank. HR comes from doing quests in the Gathering Hall (the online part, which you can totally solo if you want). You won't get access to that until a little bit into the game. It's kinda weird but the game is split into Caravan quests (solo only, Caravan 1*-6* is considered Low Rank, 7*-9* is High, and 10* is G, I have no idea why they didn't make it the same as Gathering Hall) and Gathering Hall quests (online or solo). They are similar quests, but not exactly the same. I would start by doing Caravan quests for a while, then jump into the GH once you feel fairly comfortable with your weapon.

Things that would normally come from leveling in other games come from armor in this game. Armor provides both defense and skills. Each piece of armor will have a certain number of points per skill. In most cases, you need a total of 10 points to activate that skill, and in most cases, especially early on, you will only get 10 points in a skill if you have a complete armor set.

Classes come from weapon selection. There are 14 weapon types, so 14 classes. Each weapon has a specific moveset that is 100% unlocked from the start. Upgrading a weapon will only upgrade the damage, not the moveset. I would do all of the weapon tutorials to see what weapon you like best, and stick with it for a while. Learning a weapon's movesets is one of the most important parts of the game.

To create/upgrade weapons and armor, you will need specific monster parts and cash. At this point, I always have kiranico open on my phone when I'm playing so I can reference what parts I need, where to hit the monster to get those parts, what elements monsters are weak to, etc.

I could go on for hours but already have a wall of text so just ask questions and we'll do our best.

Edit: Eat a meal before every quest (I think you need to be a few quests in to unlock the meals).

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Thanks guys. That Drone Bug just wouldn't die, wonder if it has to do with how unwieldy that damn Greatsword is. Perhaps I should switch back to knife and shield (isn't that what it's called?). And by armor sets, you guys mean all pieces with the same prefix? Like Hunter Spaulders, Hunter Helm, etc?

Edit: Thank you beats.

Thanks guys. That Drone Bug just wouldn't die, wonder if it has to do with how unwieldy that damn Greatsword is. Perhaps I should switch back to knife and shield (isn't that what it's called?).

The hunters should use their carving knives as weapons. Those things can cut through anything instantly!

Does anyone know the skills for the High Rank Seregios Gunner armor? I'm looking for a good set of high rank armor to go with the Seregios bow. Right now, I have a custom set with Load Up and Focus made entirely of Low Rank materials.

The hunters should use their carving knives as weapons. Those things can cut through anything instantly!

Does anyone know the skills for the High Rank Seregios Gunner armor? I'm looking for a good set of high rank armor to go with the Seregios bow. Right now, I have a custom set with Load Up and Focus made entirely of Low Rank materials.

Reload Spd -8
Recoil Down +1
Negate Bleeding
Constitution +2

Beats

Thanks guys. That Drone Bug just wouldn't die, wonder if it has to do with how unwieldy that damn Greatsword is. Perhaps I should switch back to knife and shield (isn't that what it's called?). And by armor sets, you guys mean all pieces with the same prefix? Like Hunter Spaulders, Hunter Helm, etc?

Edit: Thank you beats.

It's called the Sword and Shield or SnS for short. And yes to the armor set question. I recommend messing around with the different weapons and see what suits you best and then if you want you can check out gaijinhunter's weapon specific tutorials for the game: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDR3ta7VqKrwAHPSAudDagumWffFyHK6g

tuffy

So, not spectacular for the bow. I need a high rank set of armor with load up and preferably also focus. Does anybody know of one?
Zinogre U comes with Load Up and you could gem in FastCharge with any 3 slot charm and a 1 slot bow. They're both pretty "expensive" skills in terms of decoration slots, so a good charm for either one would make it easier.

Zinogre U comes with Load Up and you could gem in FastCharge with any 3 slot charm and a 1 slot bow. They're both pretty "expensive" skills in terms of decoration slots, so a good charm for either one would make it easier.
Of course it would come from the monster to give me the most trouble in all of High Rank.

Shengar

Hunters use it when mounting and stabbing monster's back, that's why monster always writhe in pain when mounting is done.

Quadratic

Anyone have the Advanced Quest Fur Fixation for Furious Rajang? Still looking for a heart drop.

I'll have a room open for a while.

kunonabi

Just started playing but I have a couple questions regarding control customization for the bow. Is it possible to switch coating to the R button and aiming to the L button? If not is it possible to have the bow fire when letting go of the aim button? I'd kill for gyroscope aiming but oh well. Other than that this is the first MH thats seems to be clicking with me. I'm surprised at how good it looks too and I'm not even using a New 3DS.

Wolff

Bought the game and started playing with it. It's damn amazing. The fights are incredibly intense and exhausting. I've just turned off the console after a 30 min fight with a Gypceros. That damn thing just wouldn't go down.

I don't know if my equipment sucks too much or if that's normal. Anyway, i've started fooling around with a katana and it turned out to be my favorite. Any tips on what upgrade path i should take it at first? I got mine to an Iron gospel already.

deim0s

I got him to limp with you guys tips. Eating defender hi. And ditching poison. But the he started doing new Shit. Wind tunnel x2. Pin attack. Fok man.

Might be too late... Bring Adamant Seeds if you have them, eat it when your hunter has defense down on him/her (defense is halved and mist/smoke effect).

andthebeatgoeson

Got tetsu z armor.

Earplugs
Guard up
Bomb boost
Focus

Gemmed out slow sharpening.

Have a 3 slot, 2 slot and a 1 slot left. Could go for hge or gem in something else. Used my talisman for focus. What say you, GAF?

Wolfe

Since you already have earplugs I would just finish it off and make it HGE.

The only time I bother running with regular earplugs is when I'm wearing a set with rock steady (unshakable) which means I'm stuck with them and can't upgrade to HGE.

Edit: out of curiosity what weapon are you running atm? In the chance it's charge blade I would recommend dropping Focus, if it's another weapon then nevermind.

deim0s

Got tetsu z armor.

Earplugs
Guard up
Bomb boost
Focus

Have a 3 slot, 2 slot and a 1 slot left. Could go for hge or gem in something else. Used my talisman for focus. What say you, GAF?

Gem in HGE if a monster needs it. Five slots available?

Stun
Def Lock
Anti-Theft
Mud/Snow
Bleeding
Sticky Res
Tremor Res
Heat Res
Cold Res
Bomb Boost
Maestro
Artillery
Fire Res
Water Res
Thunder Res
Ice Res
Dragon Res
Protection
Health
Speed Setup
Light Eater
Hunger
Gluttony
Transporter
Gathering
Speed Gather
Psychic
Combo Rate
Combo Plus
Lasting Power
Perception
Ranger
Sense
Sharpener
Pierce S+
Pellet S+
Crag S+
Slicing S+
Blast S+
Precision
Sleep C+
Poison C+
C. Range C+
Blast C+
Exhaust C+
Flame Aura
Carnivore
Mycology
Honey
Biology
Team Player
Mounting

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Got tetsu z armor.

Earplugs
Guard up
Bomb boost
Focus

Create a couple of sets. One set should be HGE, but create another with out. You only need HGE for a small portion of the cast. You can gem in the +4 one with the 3 slot you have open. Knowing what weapon you're using will help as well. *snip, I pooped on Fast Charge, but I'm guessing your a Great Sword user by your post, so it might actually be worth keeping on although I think depending on your talismans, you might find other useful tools too. What would be really useful is to find a way to get Crit Draw in there, but you'll need a weapon with at least two slots to gem it in. Evasion is worth considering as well, especially if you have a decent charm for it. Quick Sheath might be worth it as well. If you're using a weapon with slots, it'll open up more opportunities for you.

Overall, I'd say make one set with HGE, maybe a set with Ice Resist if this is your only armor and a couple weapon specific ones where you have more slots to get in Evasion, or Quick Sheath for instance.

Let it be said that Carving God is an awesome skill to take out to the everwoods. Those extra carves really add up, especially when the random 3rd tail carve kicks in and it ends up being a mantle.

What on God's green earth do I have to do to unlock Crazy Stupid Love? There's no one left to talk to, and I have no 5 or 6-star quests left unfinished!

Yrael

"Oh, you want to make an awesome charm farming set? Better get a Charmer +7 OO Talisman!"

"Oh, you need to get a Charmer +7 OO Talisman? Better make an awesome charm farming set!"

This game...

upandaway

"Oh, you want to make an awesome charm farming set? Better get a Charmer +7 OO Talisman!"

"Oh, you need to get a Charmer +7 OO Talisman? Better make an awesome charm farming set!"

This game...
Back in 3U and again in this game, I got really good charmer charms while going through village HR.

I'd say that I'm happy that my luck is so good with this particular skill, but unfortunately it sucks for anything else. I've farmed mountains of charms in 3U with my shiny Charmer charm and got nothing for it.

Top Bottom