• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

jorgejjvr

Bought the game and started playing with it. It's damn amazing. The fights are incredibly intense and exhausting. I've just turned off the console after a 30 min fight with a Gypceros. That damn thing just wouldn't go down.

I don't know if my equipment sucks too much or if that's normal. Anyway, i've started fooling around with a katana and it turned out to be my favorite. Any tips on what upgrade path i should take it at first? I got mine to an Iron gospel already.

Hmm.... If you find that fights are getting longer and bosses are doing more damage, perhaps you need to upgrade. Personally, I recommend checking to see if you can forge new weapons and armor from the Monster parts you've collected (Long swords aren't my area of expertise but to my knowledge, the beginning iron weapons don't turn out to be That good in the end game). You can do this by visiting the blacksmith, The Man. I mean, perhaps you can make Tetsucabra armor and upgrade it with armor spheres for more defense. On the weapon compartment, maybe you can create a long sword made from the Great Jaggi or Kecha Wacha. Also, always bring the must have items with you to a hunt (Herbs, Potions, Mega Potions, Honey, Dung Bombs, Paint Bombs, etc.)

-Alternis

Rawk Hawk

Put together the Miku-Miku-Mi set, and with a Cham switch axe can pull off: HGE, Status +2, Sharpness +1, Windproof (Lo), Evasion +1 and Evade Extender. So far so good, I like the look a lot more than Uka for sure. Now working on a para and sleep weapon (thinking Naja Longsword and Shrouded CB) so I can make full use of this set, but if you are someone who likes status weapons, definitely a cool set.

Here is a video on the parts if anyone is unfamiliar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bRLZomA8k0

Now to get a Kushala GQ and [...] profit!

Tom_Cody

Bought the game and started playing with it. It's damn amazing. The fights are incredibly intense and exhausting. I've just turned off the console after a 30 min fight with a Gypceros. That damn thing just wouldn't go down.

I don't know if my equipment sucks too much or if that's normal. Anyway, i've started fooling around with a katana and it turned out to be my favorite. Any tips on what upgrade path i should take it at first? I got mine to an Iron gospel already.
Three tips:

1) You are always going to want to upgrade your weapons as quickly as you can as you progress through the game. For most people, weapon crafting/upgrading is what directly drives their progress. From your Iron Gospel, you have three upgrade options:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/longsword/eager-cleaver
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/longsword/ice-blade
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/longsword/aikuchi

I am an archer, so I can't give you a perfect answer here, but my gut says Aikuchi for its raw damage the relative ease of farming parts from the Tetsucabara.

To speak more broadly, if you just fought a Gypceros, then that means you should be aiming for rarity 2 weapons. You should be able to currently (or imminently) craft any of the "2" Long Swords on this page:
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/longsword

2) Every monster has weak points. The Gypceros takes twice as much cutting damage to his tail versus his legs. If you're going into a big hunt, it's never a bad idea to look up their weak point first. If it's going to be a 30 minute fight, it's probably worth taking 30 seconds to check kiranico.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/monster/gypceros

3) You can also try to craft an armor set that grants an attack boost. Here is one recommendation:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2w9ioy/heres_an_extremely_useful_low_rank_armour_set/

"Oh, you want to make an awesome charm farming set? Better get a Charmer +7 OO Talisman!"

"Oh, you need to get a Charmer +7 OO Talisman? Better make an awesome charm farming set!"

This game...
"You need a ruby to craft this armor? Fight the same monster 137 times in a row."

"Oh, you finally completed your armor? Let me shower you with those rubies you no longer need."

At least it's easier now thanks to the subquest mechanic that was introduced in Tri but for some ungodly reason skipped for 3U.

onionfrog

"You need a ruby to craft this armor? Fight the same monster 137 times in a row."

"Oh, you finally completed your armor? Let me shower you with those rubies you no longer need."

At least it's easier now thanks to the subquest mechanic that was introduced in Tri but for some ungodly reason skipped for 3U.
I carve a mantle from the first tigrex I hunt in g-rank.

I had no intention of using any tigrex equipment!

Pila

I'm usually cool when I can't get a mantle or stuff like that, it's supposed to be that way.

You know what really pisses me off? 20% chances. I swear, today I poisoned so many Bnahabras they now call me Hitler, monster essence should be the easiest thing to obtain from the carve and the quest reward itself and still I'm missing some. Gonna do another run after work, I swear if I don't get my stuff quickly...

Shengar

Even the game knows if you partially wants a material!
I'm still never able to get a Shagaru Magala mantle from casual hunt

upandaway

The game has been showering me with Rathian or Rathalos parts practically every quest (some with more than one). On doing the last HR village quest I had 7 los rubies and 4 plates, and 3 ian rubies and 5 plates. Forget farming them, I've barely repeated quests with them in.

Of course I never needed any of it, maybe once for the EX Rathian armor.

Still looking for a jasper

I carve a mantle from the first tigrex I hunt in g-rank.

I had no intention of using any tigrex equipment!
Exactly! In Freedom Unite, I got 2 Heavenly Tigrex Scales from my first G Rank Tigrex. I got 2 more from my second. Never needed any of them.

Took me 15 Gore Magalas to see my first Gore Magala Plate.

I can't decide if I want to make the Ex Escadora set or not. I want a badass looking endgame armor with decent skills, and I already have the Doku set.

Shengar

I can't decide if I want to make the Ex Escadora set or not. I want a badass looking endgame armor with decent skills, and I already have the Doku set.

I've create 5 sets of armor that I rarely or have yet to use. They are my personal target to keep playing the game. Honestly I feel lost and aimless right now because the lack of personal target.

I've create 5 sets of armor that I rarely or have yet to use. They are my personal target to keep playing the game. Honestly I feel lost and aimless right now because the lack of personal target.

I've got all the big popular ones that Gaijin has talked about so far, the Chameleos set, Star Knight, Lagiacrus, and two farming outfits. But I don't want to put these rare materials into the Escadora if I'm just not going to end up using it.

I've done the same and feel the same way. I made the Gunner Alatreon (G Rank) armor in 3U pretty much just because I had a lot of Alatreon materials after farming it for some of its weapons. The most addicting games are the ones that get you to strive for something.

Shengar

I've got all the big popular ones that Gaijin has talked about so far, the Chameleos set, Star Knight, Lagiacrus, and two farming outfits. But I don't want to put these rare materials into the Escadora if I'm just not going to end up using it.
You're in luck if you're just making the recommended mixed set from gaijinhunter so far. I don't like mixed set, so I strive straight for a full set as my personal goal. Ping's dex should give good visual on what armor you would like to create next.
I've done the same and feel the same way. I made the Gunner Alatreon (G Rank) armor in 3U pretty much just because I had a lot of Alatreon materials after farming it for some of its weapons. The most addicting games are the ones that get you to strive for something.

This is where hunting together with friend comes to play. You might have achieved what you strive for but your friend might need a mantle that they haven't yet to meet after 120 hours of play. It gives you at least a solid reason to play.

You're in luck if you're just making the recommended mixed set from gaijinhunter so far. I don't like mixed set, so I strive straight for a full set as my personal goal. Ping's dex should give good visual on what armor you would like to create next.

Oh you misunderstand, I've already made those ones. I guess I could finish off the missing parts for those particular ones, and I need to do arena for a better Torso Up helmet at some point. I'm real glad Ping's has a visualizer, that's going to help me quite a bit.

I hope this is the right thread to ask for people to help out a bit.
My friends and regular hunting party are being kind of boring and have set down the game, but I want to grind a bit and get up to their level (HR 7, I'm at 5 right now)

As such, I'm trying to find some people that wouldn't mind helping me out with some of my online quests.

I still have:
4*
Arachnophilia (Hunt Nerscy; P Forest)
Apes of Wrath (Kecha and Emerald Conga; S Hollow)
Material Effect (Hunt all large monsters- Seltas, Conga, Gypceros)

5*
The main one I want to hit is Advanced: Frenzied Foe (Tigrex in A.Steppe; Outbreak and a "Danger" sign)
I know that one will unlock my Black Gravios Urgent for the next rank.

So basically, just kind of 4 quick quests. I'm a Light Bowgun user, and I usually main either Azurathling Skyspear or Hypodemic Miracle (I usually do not pack the healing shots because I have accidentally hit the monster with them before lol) I should also note I love crag shots, so I may blow you up. These things happen.

I'll post the quests, just roll on in, and beat up monsters. I just did Tigrex and Black Gravy in the Caravan, so I wanted to work on my online stuff a bit too.

I also have AIM if that works better for chatting, unless there's some other place you have for communicating.

I-i've never played with anyone else besides my usual friends so this will be very new to me.

tuffy

I don't really need a Silver Bullet set since there's an unfortunate shortage of good chain hunts to take advantage of it (expeditions maybe?). But I'm planning to put one together anyway because why not. Then I've still got a handful of high rank Guild Quests which I may clear out solo.

After that, I'll probably start a second file with a new hunter for a new weapon. I've thought a good way to really learn a weapon is to start from scratch and do everything with it on the single player side for awhile. Maybe I'll get back into light bowgun practice, take up the switch axe again, or go for something completely different. Haven't quite decided yet.

Tom_Cody

I hope this is the right thread to ask for people to help out a bit.
My friends and regular hunting party are being kind of boring and have set down the game, but I want to grind a bit and get up to their level (HR 7, I'm at 5 right now).
My personal advice to you is to experiment with randoms. I play with randoms almost exclusively and I have very few complaints.

Just select the HR level you are going for and choose a room (look for one with more than one person and confirm that they aren't already on a hunt). 90% of the time people in these rooms will be doing key quests, and it is ok to ask to do an urgent once you've been in a room for a few hunts.

Give it a shot.

Wolfe

I think I've made about twenty G rank sets so far, a few I've sold cause I ended up not liking them. Made 3 mixed sets but just to play around with a few random pieces of gear I've got (relic chest and g dala chest), unfortunately I don't really care for mixed sets due to looks :p

Metroid armor is still my favorite atm, have yet to run into anyone else wearing it though.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So i finally got far enough in singler player to unlock the wystones and I wonder, how do they work? Do you have to hit the monster a bunch of times for it to activate?

tuffy

So i finally got far enough in singler player to unlock the wystones and I wonder, how do they work? Do you have to hit the monster a bunch of times for it to activate?
You swipe your weapon with it as if sharpening (even for the ranged weapons!) and it provides an effect which lasts for a short while. Hit a frenzied monster while the effect is active and there's a chance of knocking out of frenzy. Once the Wystone effect wears off, it takes some time before it recharges and you can re-swipe your weapon.

Nope, select them from the item wheel. You'll do the same animation as using a whetstone, but it's just one swipe, and the effect is activated for a certain amount of time.

Tom_Cody

I just found out Ancient Shards were a thing this morning (primarily a bow user here) and I'm now quite annoyed that I stopped mining in High Rank ages ago. Ugh.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just found out Ancient Shards were a thing this morning (primarily a bow user here) and I'm now quite annoyed that I stopped mining in High Rank ages ago. Ugh.

Never stop mining. Ever. Even if you think you have enough, it can be great material to sell. ie; I sell anything I have over 100 off that's not Earth Crystals, and money is rarely an issue for me thanks to ore (and a few monster part sales) alone.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
But it slows down hunts...

Well, I mean you don't have to go out of your way to mine during a hunt. Yes, it's shitty when someone is mining for the first four minutes of a hunt, so don't do that. But even if you're not going on Paw Passes for gathering (you should be, or playing with friends that don't mind you mining a few spots as you run through the area), you can mine a nod for twelve seconds when a monster flees an area, etc. If you end up in a secret spot via luck, or Explorer too, no one is going to shit on you for gathering there for the first minute. If they do, they really need to calm down.

Tom_Cody

Well, I mean you don't have to go out of your way to mine during a hunt. Yes, it's shitty when someone is mining for the first four minutes of a hunt, so don't do that. But even if you're not going on Paw Passes for gathering (you should be, or playing with friends that don't mind you mining a few spots as you run through the area), you can mine a nod for twelve seconds when a monster flees an area, etc.
Yeah, that's more of what I'm annoyed about. I've missed dozens of opportunities to mine nodes that could have yielded ancient shards.

I'm at the tail end of high rank, so I had thought that I literally have zero use for mining at this point. It turns out I have exactly one use for mining.

Question: should I mine all nodes in VH and HM, or just the blue/gold ones?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, that's more of what I'm annoyed about. I've missed dozens of opportunities to mine nodes that could have yielded ancient shards.

I'm at the tail end of high rank, so I had thought that I literally have zero use for mining at this point. It turns out I have exactly one use for mining.

Question: should I mine all nodes in VH and HM, or just the blue/gold ones?

I generally just go for the blue and gold ones, especially if I'm on a mission with randoms. You can get good materials from the lesser nodes, but of course you'll be spending a lot more time mining then. If you're playing with friends and they don't care though, then go for everything you can. You may also just take a couple of missions specifically for gathering. You can do a Paw Pass for it, but you won't get to the Secret Area. You can do a suicide mission, or an easy to complete Sub Quest mission and eat for Explorer to get to the Secret Area, but it's a little more work. Bring a Farcaster with you as well, especially in a place like V. Hollow. Not only will it save you the two minute trek back, but it'll free up a spot for your Paw Pass you need to deliver.

Hellruin Glaive get. Really excited about this, more variety in my Glaive usage, and a Blast glaive that doesn't require the nonexistant Reactor to upgrade to max!

Renoir

I want to use CB. But coming from LS, GS, and SnS it's a bit difficult, I watch gajin vid on it but I still can't get a grip on how to use it properly..

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Crap, I meant Hell Hunter Hoax. Tigrex/Brute Frenzied.

I'm pretty sure I used my SnS for it. If I recall, they didn't cross paths except for once, so just make sure you dung one if they ever do bump into each other. Even exit the area until the separate just to be safe. Don't forget to use your Wystones. Set your cats to healing and earplugs will help a bunch.

How hard is it to solo the USJ Giant Zamtrios? I really want that Starlight Charge Blade but first time going into it I just got wrecked. Currently using Monoblos S set w/ Force of Ruin Charge Blade (Upgraded Gore CB)

They crossed paths plenty in my playthroughs. But I just went ultra cheese: Waiting or baiting them to areas 2/1, and running back to the bed every time I took half health or knew I wasn't going to beat the plague. Bai Bai ya brute bastards.

Anyone up for some Wyporium material quests?

Shengar

How hard is it to solo the USJ Giant Zamtrios? I really want that Starlight Charge Blade but first time going into it I just got wrecked. Currently using Monoblos S set w/ Force of Ruin Charge Blade (Upgraded Gore CB)
It's pretty big so I guess the only way to solo it is using weapon with shield. I don't there is anyone who able to avoid its attack because of that size lol

DooD1234

I don't know about you guys, but I always find myself going back to this game because I want to make a new weapon/armor. I am not quite bored with this game yet lol.

Question, how do I fight crimson Fatalis? Is it a download only that not available in US yet! I want a blast IG.

Beats

I don't know about you guys, but I always find myself going back to this game because I want to make a new weapon/armor. I am not quite bored with this game yet lol.

Question, how do I fight crimson Fatalis? Is it a download only that not available in US yet! I want a blast IG.

Near the end of Caravan quests you can fight a High Rank one. Then there's one in late G-rank.

Beats

That last Apex Rajang run was great. : p

Good hunts everyone.

It has both? Because I only see the regular Fatalis monster. Granted I haven't finish caravan quest yet.

Caravan one is called Red Dragon's Dawn. Then there's one in the Elder Hall for the G-rank version. IIRC it doesn't say "Crimson Fatalis" in the quest description. It'll just show "Fatalis".

Rawk Hawk

I didn't know apex rajang broke shock traps, wasted my one contribution to what will now be known as the great trapfest of 2015.

Top Bottom