• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

jorgejjvr

Is there a large/noticeable difference between evasion +2 and +3? Am I fine with just +2? Mh mind is upset I can't get the 20 points to max it out.

-Alternis

Beats

Is there a large/noticeable difference between evasion +2 and +3? Am I fine with just +2? Mh mind is upset I can't get the 20 points to max it out.

-Alternis

None: 0.20 seconds (6 frames)
Evade+1:0.33 seconds (10 frames)
Evade+2: 0.40 seconds (12 frames)
Evade+3: 0.60 seconds (18 frames)

A full roll is 36 frames of animation and you get invincibility for the first x frames. The difference between two and three is pretty noticeable.
http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/112587650782/mh4u-understanding-evade-skills

Prisoner

I just cleared the penultimate offline quest in MH3U, Mark of a Hero.

I had only casually tried it once back when the game was relatively new and decided it was too difficult with my equipment (high rank jhen mohran armor), and stopped playing MH3U altogether.

2 years later, I came back to this quest with the same armor, albeit with a different weapon (jho GS instead of brach LS) and beat it first try!

Alatreon awaits.

I just cleared the penultimate offline quest in MH3U, Mark of a Hero.

I had only casually tried it once back when the game was relatively new and decided it was too difficult with my equipment (high rank jhen mohran armor), and stopped playing MH3U altogether.

2 years later, I came back to this quest with the same armor, albeit with a different weapon (jho GS instead of brach LS) and beat it first try!

Alatreon awaits.

Mark of a Hero was G level even though it was a village quest, wasn't it?

That reminds me. In MH4U, is the Caravan 10 Savage Deviljho G level? I almost timed out killing it with high-rank equipment even though I killed the normal one in less than half the time, and according to the Kiranico guide, Savage Deviljho has a little less health than the normal one.

tuffy

It was some sort of hybrid, as I recall. The monster damage was G rank but their health wasn't, or something like that.
That reminds me. In MH4U, is the Caravan 10 Savage Deviljho G level? I almost timed out killing it with high-rank equipment even though I killed the normal one in less than half the time, and according to the Kiranico guide, Savage Deviljho has a little less health than the normal one.
He's definitely high rank since he gives high rank parts. I think there's just a big jump in difficulty between regular high rank Deviljho and Savage Deviljho. His nonstop pins are liable to slow things down too.

Prisoner

Apparently so. The monsters hit like a ton of bricks.

I don't think it is, but I'm not certain.

EDIT: Uh, what tuffy said.

Tzmhero

Boy I am hating the Najarala right now. I need to get a chilling beak from the thing but I just can't get enough hits in on it's face to break it. i end up killing the thing before I do. Any tips? I tried hammering... not a great guy to try hammering my first time...

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Boy I am hating the Najarala right now. I need to get a chilling beak from the thing but I just can't get enough hits in on it's face to break it. i end up killing the thing before I do. Any tips? I tried hammering... not a great guy to try hammering my first time...

Maybe you can bring a team of hammers. Or bombs.

Best defense lancer set? I really like how this Gravios X build is turning out, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Seems like a pretty good set. I'm not seeing any defensive Rare 10 armor sets for lance users. I'm guessing Guard +2 will allow you to block almost everything in the game. Stamina isn't that important if you bring Mega Dash Juice.

Prisoner

Glaive or ranged weapons are the best for damaging Najarala's face.

That or trapping it and bombing its head.

tuffy

The chance of one from a head break isn't that great until G rank. You could do the 8 star Caravan hunt-a-thon, kill a couple and try for one in the body carves and quest rewards. Or if you've been going online, the easiest way is to just trade a VE Bronze Ticket for one in the Primal Forest.

Tzmhero

The chance of one from a head break isn't that great until G rank. You could do the 8 star Caravan hunt-a-thon, kill a couple and try for one in the body carves and quest rewards. Or if you've been going online, the easiest way is to just trade a VE Bronze Ticket for one in the Primal Forest.

I'm only at Caravan 5's start. I'm trying to make the Ceantaur/Gore magala armor set Saraphis told me about... and it's just not a fun time right now. I need Chilling beaks to trade the Wycoon for Ceantaur pincers and... gah!

tuffy

I'm only at Caravan 5's start. I'm trying to make the Ceantaur/Gore magala armor set Saraphis told me about... and it's just not a fun time right now. I need Chilling beaks to trade the Wycoon for Ceantaur pincers and... gah!
In low rank, the head break's only an 8% chance for a Chilling Beak. Even without it, the "Fear Factor" Caravan quest should have about a 40% chance of at least one from the body carves and quest rewards. Don't spend a whole lot of time trying for that small extra chance if it's really slowing your hunt down.

Tzmhero

Okay, I'll continue on then till I get to that point. Boy i wish the Gore Magala Armor I just finished finally putting together wasn't so blasted week to fire. I'm starting in the fire based lava area next to fight a Gravios...

jorgejjvr

So, what's the final consensus? Star Knight Armor with Sharpness +1 and evasion +2 (and divine protection with 3/5 glaives) or Sharpness +1, speed sharpening and divine protection?

-Alternis

Edit: According to tm24, evasion +2 is worthless? So should I downgrade to +1 and add on another 5 slot skill?

Squishy3

Hey I'm the one who set up the room, I actually have less time than I thought and the next one's gonna be the last for me, anyway. Thanks guys.

Wolfe

I'm 400 hours in and still sitting at Handi +4 with ooo. So.. daaaamn it.

If it makes you feel any better at almost 700 hours that exact charm (+4, 3 sockets, no secondary skill) is still my best handicraft charm. Sucks cause I almost always have an artisan jewel in it so it's basically just a shitty +7 charm :(

So, what's the final consensus? Star Knight Armor with Sharpness +1 and evasion +2 (and divine protection with 3/5 glaives) or Sharpness +1, speed sharpening and divine protection?

-Alternis

Edit: According to tm24, evasion +2 is worthless? So should I downgrade to +1 and add on another 5 slot skill?

Yeah you'd definitely be better off adding another 5 slot skill as the bump from evasion 1 to 2 is very tiny and not really worth it compared to leaving it at 1 and getting another skill or taking it all the way to +3.

tm24

It's not that it's worthless, it's that you have to weigh the benefits of adding another skill to your set. This is the math on the skill

No evasion bonus: 0.20 seconds of invincibility (6 frames) [0 skill points]
Evade+1: 0.33 seconds (10 frames) [10 skill points]
Evade+2: 0.40 seconds (12 frames) [15 skill points]
Evade+3: 0.60 seconds (18 frames) [20 skill points]
Evade Down: 0.1 seconds (3 frames) [-10 skill points]

Is .07 sec or 2 frames worth the 5 slots?

Got a nice +5 Handicraft/Mycology O charm today. Decided might as well as Mushromancer since i like Dragon Toadstools!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mycology is a pretty fun skill, I just wish the buffs could be passed along with Wide Range +2. Only the Blue Mushrooms (ie; Potions) work.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Question for you guys -- if I've played roughly 7 hours and am not really into it, is there still hope that I'll like it as I progress? The game is charming and enjoyable to play, I just don't see the loot appeal. Do you ever FIND loot that's random and amazing, or do you have to craft it all? I feel like everything I have is still very plain. My caravan is about to leave to the second town, I realize I'm very early, I'm just wondering if the rest of the game is basically what I've played, just harder and harder. Does that make sense?

For instance, Diablo III doesn't get going until after you've hit max level, Destiny becomes a different game at level 20, etc. Is there that sort of a turning point coming down the road?

Shengar

For instance, Diablo III doesn't get going until after you've hit max level, Destiny becomes a different game at level 20, etc. Is there that sort of a turning point coming down the road?

For Monster Hunter, it's mostly when you fight the real big monster. Since you're just leave for the second town, don't worry there are still tons of monsters for you to fight.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think the real turning point is hitting G Rank. I mean, by that point you're crafting for the end game, making mixed sets, hunting for super rare items, eventually relic hunting, looking for great charms, fighting really amazing monsters. It really helps if you're playing with other people too, no doubt. Single player Monster Hunter would still appeal to me, but the co-op is the true selling point in the end.

That said, 7 hours in Monster Hunter is just the beginning. You've likely not even scratched the surface about what the game will actually end up being. But that's not always for everyone. Some people don't have the time to sink in 80 hours to figure out if a game is for them, or not.

Shengar

My turning point when I'm tasted MH for the first time is defeating Qurupeco with a complete Jaggi set. Yes, I think MH should click with someone who new to the series that soon. G Rank is too far and there is no way possible for newbie to reach that quick without a help of a friend. And if you have consistent hunting buddies, the game must have clicked for you anyway. There are so much content between LR and G Rank which makes impossible to reach G Rank without anything clicked.

onionfrog

what equipment are u using?
I don't know if its possible to get sharpness +1 without a really good charm...

Skull Mask
Garuga Mail X
Garuga Vambraces X
Kushala Cocoon X
Kushala Cruz X
-----
3 Slot Handicraft +6 charm

---
2x Draw Jewel 2 (one in chest)
1x Draw Jewel 1 (in weapon)
1x Handicraft Jewel 3
1x Charger Jewel 3
1x Charger Jewel 1
2x Earplug Jewel 1

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My turning point when I'm tasted MH for the first time is defeating Qurupeco with a complete Jaggi set. Yes, I think MH should click with someone who new to the series that soon. G Rank is too far and there is no way possible for newbie to reach that quick without a help of a friend. And if you have consistent hunting buddies, the game must have clicked for you anyway. There are so much content between LR and G Rank which makes impossible to reach G Rank without anything clicked.

G Rank fits more with their comparisons to say, max level in Diablo though. Yeah, if you want to think of an early clicking point it was probably Barroth for me in Tri, but that doesn't follow his examples much.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So beat the High Rank end game of monster by defeating the ashen daora. I also unlocked the honing tool. Does honing only work once or can you do it many times?

Ultrabum

So beat the High Rank end game of monster by defeating the ashen daora. I also unlocked the honing tool. Does honing only work once or can you do it many times?

As many times as you want, you can also remove a hone and add the different ones. This all takes the items though,

Leezard

I finally get to do my anti-Teostra/Rajang/etc armor set for GS. It has natural purple so I can avoid everything that has to do with Sharpness+1.

Atk up L
Focus
Rock Steady
Crit Draw
Latent Power +1
Tremor Res/Mushromancer/Divine Blessing/whatever 5 slot skill I want.

PrankT

I finally get to do my anti-Teostra/Rajang/etc armor set for GS. It has natural purple so I can avoid everything that has to do with Sharpness+1.

Atk up L
Focus
Rock Steady
Crit Draw
Latent Power +1
Tremor Res/Mushromancer/Divine Blessing/whatever 5 slot skill I want.
You probably already know, but don't forget bio researcher for teostra. Works wonders.

"My ex was harder to ride."
hY4YBF7.gif

Can I get some High Rank armor advice? I'm currently wearing the Velociprey S set, but I want something a little more interesting. I'm reading that mixing in some Gore S gear would be beneficial to me as a hammer user. Can anyone tell me why, exactly? How are my skills going to change?

Any other armor recommendations would be sincerely appreciated!

Can I get some High Rank armor advice? I'm currently wearing the Velociprey S set, but I want something a little more interesting. I'm reading that mixing in some Gore S gear would be beneficial to me as a hammer user. Can anyone tell me why, exactly? How are my skills going to change?

You mean a mixed gore set?

Gore Helm S, Gore Mail, Gore Braces S, Gore Faulds, Gore Greaves S

That would give you Bio Researcher, Sharpness+1, Challenger+2, Fire Weakness. So the two most beneficial ones are obviously Sharpness+1 and Challenger+2, which does wonders for attack. Bio Researcher means you can ignore stench and blast blights. If you have a charm, you can get rid of the fire weakness if that's going to be a problem, but otherwise you've got 4 points in Frenzy Res which is a nice bonus to have as you progress in the game's SP content.

Personally I was always a fan of the Tetsu S set because of the defense and Torso Up part, and the -gathering stat wasn't really all that important to me. Plus I found Tetsu a hell of a lot easier to farm than Gore in general.

Beats

Mixing low rank and high rank Gore armor pieces can get you some good general blademaster skills:
Gore S Helm, Gore Mail, Gore S Arm, Gore Fold, Gore S legs

With this set you get Challenger+2, Sharpness+1 and Bio Researcher. Challenger+2 gives you Attack Up (XL) and Affinity +20% whenever the monster is in rage. Your arm will glow red when it's activated and it generally stays on for most of the fight. Bio Researcher is pretty useful against enemies that cause blastblight like Brachydios or Teostra. It also stops that status effect that prevents you from using items and makes dung bombs work better. You don't really need any talismans or decorations for it as well.

It comes with Fire Res-20 though, but you can always just eat for fire res before a hunt to get it back to positive levels.

You mean a mixed gore set?

Gore Helm S, Gore Mail, Gore Braces S, Gore Faulds, Gore Greaves S

That would give you Bio Researcher, Sharpness+1, Challenger+2, Fire Weakness. So the two most beneficial ones are obviously Sharpness+1 and Challenger+2, which does wonders for attack. Bio Researcher means you can ignore stench and blast blights. If you have a charm, you can get rid of the fire weakness if that's going to be a problem, but otherwise you've got 4 points in Frenzy Res which is a nice bonus to have as you progress in the game's SP content.

Personally I was always a fan of the Tetsu S set because of the defense and Torso Up part, and the -gathering stat wasn't really all that important to me. Plus I found Tetsu a hell of a lot easier to farm than Gore in general.

Mixing low rank and high rank Gore armor pieces can get you some good general blademaster skills:
Gore S Helm, Gore Mail, Gore S Arm, Gore Fold, Gore S legs

With this set you get Challenger+2, Sharpness+1 and Bio Researcher. Challenger+2 gives you Attack Up (XL) and Affinity +20% whenever the monster is in rage. Your arm will glow red when it's activated and it generally stays on for most of the fight. Bio Researcher is pretty useful against enemies that cause blastblight like Brachydios or Teostra. It also stops that status effect that prevents you from using items and makes dung bombs work better. You don't really need any talismans or decorations for it as well.

It comes with Fire Res-20 though, but you can always just eat for fire res before a hunt to get it back to positive levels.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I wasn't sure if Challenger was worth dropping Attack+, but it sounds like it is for Bio Researcher.

How much is the -gathering stat going to fuck me over? I guess I could just switch my set during gathering runs...

tuffy

How much is the -gathering stat going to fuck me over? I guess I could just switch my set during gathering runs...
That's what I do. I've got a Leather S set or some other mix with a bunch of gathering-specific skills meant for runs when I'm looking for ores or bugs or whatever. I make a lot of use of saved armor sets for things like that.

Top Bottom