• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Ultrabum

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/34h9ys/tetsucabra_armor_on_numbers_and_mediocrity/

Its 2 main skills are mediocre at best. Health +20 can be easily gotten with food and Defense Up does not reduce damage much. You're much better off getting armors with better skills and upgrading them with Armor Spheres.

Speed sharpening and stamina theif are great skills, imo. Also, defense is the most underrated stat in the game. I agree that the health is worthless, and there are better armors, but tetsu is a good first g rank set imo. Especially to learn new attack patterns in g rank.

Edit: missed your previous reply, much better way of saying it.

Rawk Hawk

Had some good runs last night, Long Sword is pretty fun. Always avoided it because of the trip factor, but I don't think I was that bad (and if I was no one yelled at me, haha). May make a couple more and keep it in my standard rotation of weapons. Also, who is Stylo? I've grouped a couple times now with them but don't know who it is here. I'm Lags should they not know.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice regarding HR mining/bug catching. I found what I needed!

Now, is there an advantage to mixing Gore with Gore S, or should I just go with all S equipment if I can? I'm very close to having it all, but it just occurred to me that there might be a reason not to.

Also, using this armor set with a Red Bludgeon murders my fire resistance!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice regarding HR mining/bug catching. I found what I needed!

Now, is there an advantage to mixing Gore with Gore S, or should I just go with all S equipment if I can? I'm very close to having it all, but it just occurred to me that there might be a reason not to.

Also, using this armor set with a Red Bludgeon murders my fire resistance!

You'd lose out on Sharpness+1, but gain Frenzy Res. Not worth it IMO.

I'm really annoyed that there is almost no G-Rank single player content in this game. Or at least, nothing that I would actually like to farm while I'm not able to connect to the internet.

PrankT

I'm really annoyed that there is almost no G-Rank single player content in this game. Or at least, nothing that I would actually like to farm while I'm not able to connect to the internet.
There's always G expeditions...though it's difficult to farm a particular monster. Tracking down Savage Deviljho is a pain.

Rawk Hawk

Also doing the Gathering Hall solo isn't too bad, it's scaled down when you are offline I believe. Although not as low as caravan.

I'm probably wondering the wrong thing in a MH game but in 3U to get Miralis armor we needed his wings and eyes and other Miralis mats but here all you need are smelters, scales and dire dragongems. And Pink/Azure cortex which is odd to me but hey, them's the rules right? (Not included but needed are a brach pallium, diablos hardhorn and wartorn dragonspires for the trade for dire dragongems).

I have a collection of dumb questions:
  • If I accept the quest, but need to swap weapons (i.e. grab a different element), is there any way to do that without cancelling the quest? It won't let me go back into my house with an active quest. (This is before I leave town).
  • How on earth do I read the damage and elemental affinities? http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/monster/gravios Do higher numbers mean I do more damage? How about for elements? I've heard Gravios is weak to poison, but looking at that table, that's not obvious.
  • If I kill a monster/a monster escapes during an expedition, but it's not "unstable" will more of that monster appear? Or do I need to quit?
  • Once you unlock High rank expeditions is there any reason to do Low Rank?
  • Should I even bother with expeditions before I hit g-rank?

Thanks, guys.

Rawk Hawk

I have a collection of [...] questions:
  • As far as I know you need to drop the quest to gain access to your house, but I believe any funds are refunded.
  • Higher numbers do mean more damage, see the below videos for a little help on it. As for poison, it should give a total damage (300 or 100 etc.) depending on the monster, with your knowledge from the video maybe that will help to know if that's a lot or not depending on what kind of elemental damage you can do.
  • Unstable means different monsters can come, you will get a total of 5. If it's stable it will be 5 of the same one, unstable means the ones listed will certainly be there, but no idea who the others that join the party will be.
  • Yes you can do all ranks of expeditions even at end game, a new icon will appear for each.
  • Certainly worth trying them out, can gain access to monsters, the no death limit helps with farming hard things once in a while. But really up to your play style.
Physical said:
Elemental said:
Status said:
Blast said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMTNm3DKwSg

Hopefully that helps.

upandaway

• If I accept the quest, but need to swap weapons (i.e. grab a different element), is there any way to do that without cancelling the quest? It won't let me go back into my house with an active quest. (This is before I leave town).
  • How on earth do I read the damage and elemental affinities? http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/monster/gravios Do higher numbers mean I do more damage? How about for elements? I've heard Gravios is weak to poison, but looking at that table, that's not obvious.
  • If I kill a monster/a monster escapes during an expedition, but it's not "unstable" will more of that monster appear? Or do I need to quit?

Thanks, guys.
You can cancel a quest you already paid for by talking to the quest lady again

deim0s

Thanks, guys.

No, you'd have to cancel the quest.

Bigger the value the more effective it is. Poison and blight do their damage as listed every time they activate on the monster (I think it's still 1/3 chances to apply a status every attack). The monsters resistance after the effect goes up. So, it'll take a few more hits to apply the next status effect.

Monsters are random... I didn't examine expeditions much, but to me they're all random and can appear twice in an expedition - fixed monsters are in actual quests from the marm AFAIK.

LR expeditions can be handy, if you need materials or practice. I never bother much doing expeditions going to G Rank unless I need something or for caravan points. Greater challenge are in guild quests tho, after you level them up (levels 126++++).

Thanks, guys.

For status charts, higher damage is better, but lower initial, increase, and max are better. For elemental charts, higher is better across the board.

Frogstep

Hey guys! Doing Ukanlos urgent with a buddy if anyone's interested. We downed him once but we were cutting it close so a few other would prob make it go quicker. :p

ID: 19-7440-5948-6973

Healing palicos are really common in low rank, but once you hit high rank (in caravan?) they become rare with no going back.

I have 5 I can share if you want though.

I just need 3 more (trying to top off that Forte chart). That's really weird. I'll trade you my Unreal Blockers because apparently that's a thing people really want.

tuffy

I could use one more healing Palico myself to fill out my team. Though it will be a couple hours before I'll be back to my 3DS.

Leezard

I just need 3 more (trying to top off that Forte chart). That's really weird.

Essentially it is because Launching and Stamina forte palicos come in and ruin the balance.

I made a guild hall to share them.
23-7813-2875-1446

I will share them with everyone. I have Unreal Blockers etc already so I don't need anything.

edit: closing the hall in 5 minutes.

edit again: Remember you can get a free healing palico from the "Code" episode quests.

edit 3: It seems we dc'd, alternis. I'll go to sleep for today then, best of luck finishing the episodes.

Anyone want to help farm Raging Brach? Needs parts but 90% of random pick up games result in cart fests.

Sure.

As for parts, the short list is Rath Mantle, Shaggy Mantle, Gravios Pallium, Immortal Reactor, Ukanlos Stone, and Dire Blastheart.

Oh and if anyone has a LR/HR Kirin GQ, I'd appreciate getting it. I'm looking to make the Monarch DB set. I have a LV 116 one for the last stage.

Prisoner

Had some good runs last night, Long Sword is pretty fun. Always avoided it because of the trip factor, but I don't think I was that bad (and if I was no one yelled at me, haha). May make a couple more and keep it in my standard rotation of weapons. Also, who is Stylo? I've grouped a couple times now with them but don't know who it is here. I'm Lags should they not know.

That'd be me.

You didn't trip me once with the long sword, by the way. :)

If anyone cares to fight this Kirin with me, I need to do it at least 5 more times with horn breaks each time.

Edit: Boy is that enough Kirin for a day. Thanks so much again Sassy, you always seem to be in my hunting party. =P

Rawk Hawk

Doing some g2 rank key quests if anyone is interested.

45-0543-0179-1415 pass 2468

Sassy is always on call it seems, haha. Congrats on Kirin parts. Think I have a gq for him, but looks like you got everything.

He's certainly a nice change of pace. All I need to do is the G-rank one. I'm making his DB since it looks like it would be a nice Thunder DB compared to the Zinogre one I'm currently using.

I'm just annoyed it takes seven runs at least. That's the problem with Guild Quests, they don't drop rewards like the other modes do.

Top Bottom