• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Rawk Hawk

Grinding GQs doesn't sound fun, but that doesn't mean doing multiple in a rotation or something wouldn't be, just not the same one over and over. At this point in the game I find myself having more fun with new weapons that I may not be very good with, struggling a little to find my footing, but still in the end coming out on top. The challenge I suppose is more than anything, and lv140 monsters are on my short list of things to topple. Once they become easy to handle, then I'll probably look to retire the game. Unless something (cough Xenoblade) comes out and pulls my attention away.

Infinite

I started a new character and I'm maiming dual blades with her. Out of spamming the spinning slash what combos I should be using?

onionfrog

Selene/Garuga/Garuga/Kushala/Kushala which gives 13 sockets to fit focus/crit draw/sharpness+1.
I've been using something similar since G2. I used the skull visage until I got to G3 and could trade for the parts for the Selene Helm.

Its a pretty great set. I love having HG earplugs!

I may switch the garuga chest out for Tigrex Z in an attempt to make the set look slightly less ridiculous.

I'll switch the gloves to Grand Mizuha Sleeves if I ever get a large elder dragon gem!

Wow, that set sounds nice. So you get HGE/focus/critdraw/Sharpness and do you still have more slots?
With a 3 slot handicraft +6 talisman I'm able to get all of those skills with 3 slots free. (W/ a 1 slot greatsword)... With one more gem slot I could gem in evasion +1 :/

I feel like I'm the only person who's never had an issue with the monster roars. I only have earplugs on my Chameleos armor set because it naturally has them.

shuusin

Neo Member
I've been using something similar since G2. I used the skull visage until I got to G3 and could trade for the parts for the Selene Helm.

Its a pretty great set. I love having HG earplugs!

I may switch the garuga chest out for Tigrex Z in an attempt to make the set look slightly less ridiculous.

I'll switch the gloves to Grand Mizuha Sleeves if I ever get a large elder dragon gem!

With a 3 slot handicraft +6 talisman I'm able to get all of those skills with 3 slots free. (W/ a 1 slot greatsword)... With one more gem slot I could gem in evasion +1 :/

Since talking about it I did switch to Grand Mizuha Sleeves, but ran out of money trying to upgrade it. Still pushed up to 760 def now though.

When I use the Stygian GS (3 sockets) I slot in evasion+1, neat but not too critical. I could slot in any +2/1 gem skill, but I don't know what to put there. I did Tremor Res but it was wasn't useful, since you don't Styg GS Rajang for example.

Rawk Hawk

If you evade through the roar do you still have time for a lv3? Not really a gs user. Might be better to invest in evasion gear and just evade through them if there is still enough time to charge it up. Won't help the roars while you are mid charge, but would have benefits on all your evasions to compensate.

shuusin

Neo Member
I love that its basically a free opening for a level 3 great sword charge.

It also makes the mounting minigame way easier. :)

Yeah, the roars either interrupt your charge, or give you a free max charge and more. HG Earplugs turns every roar into a topple basically. One of those things I didn't know I really wanted until I had it.

I love that its basically a free opening for a level 3 great sword charge.

It also makes the mounting minigame way easier. :)

Indeed to both statements. My problem is that I hate it when monster roars knock me out of charge level 3 (which I tend to get cocky often).

It seems some people here enjoy gunning, and I'm considering starting up LBG to get the hang of it first.

Beats

Does anyone else just... not really like the idea of 126+ guild quest grinding?

I don't think I really like doing them either and I wouldn't really miss them if they don't appear in the next game. I do like the idea of fighting super powered versions of monsters, but I don't really care for the grinding/leveling/loot parts of guild quests or the fact that some of the weapons you can obtain in them can be better than the ones you can craft.

Infinite

There might just not be any dual blade users on here at the moment to give a good answer to your question. :x

I recommend you watch GaijinHunter's Dual Blades tutorial on YouTube. He goes through every attack and its uses, and covers the different modes too.

I'd offer tips myself but I don't use Dual Blades. :(

Unfortunately haven't used dual blades at all in 4U. Sorry.

Precisely what I thought and why I said what I said lol.

The weapon seems pretty freestyle until you get to archdemon mode. Ill figure something out.

I feel like I'm finally understand the mounting mini game more and more but still confused about when I can mount (happens even when monster isn't knocked over) and if I only have one chance to do so?

I realize each monster has their routine on how they react to mounting so that's making sense more.

Kinda getting tired of doing caravan quests n might just jump more into guild now. Is it wiser to finish the caravan stuff first for unlocks or no? I'm at caravan level 4 or 5.

shuusin

Neo Member
I feel like I'm finally understand the mounting mini game more and more but still confused about when I can mount (happens even when monster isn't knocked over) and if I only have one chance to do so?

I realize each monster has their routine on how they react to mounting so that's making sense more.

Kinda getting tired of doing caravan quests n might just jump more into guild now. Is it wiser to finish the caravan stuff first for unlocks or no? I'm at caravan level 4 or 5.

Every monster has a threshold for when they get mounted, and every time you land a jump attack you approach or cross the threshold and you mount. After the mounting sequence the threshold is increased, so it generally takes more jump attacks than before to mount again.

In theory, it is best to mix caravan and guild quests because they open quests for each other. In reality, just do whatever you feel like.

Rawk Hawk

Everything has a mounting resistence, doing jump attacks gives you a chance to mount, if not it will lower that resistence so maybe the next jump attack with mount. As far as I know you can mount during most things, even tripped monsters, I'm not sure about trapped monsters. If they are in a trap it may not let you mount.

Online parallels offline, so if you are 4-5 offline you are beyond hr1 online already, probably somewhere between hr2 and 3.

More advanced mounting topic, do failed mounts increase the next threshold? Basically wasting one?

I started a new character and I'm maiming dual blades with her. Out of spamming the spinning slash what combos I should be using?

The spinning top of death attack is the best thing that happened to dual blades, but it also eats through your demon bar really fast.

jorgejjvr

Don't forget that you can tell when you're inflicting the mounting "element" by a huge vertical yellow bar that appears when you hit a jump attack in the right spot (usually the back).

-Alternis

Riposte

Doing the HR Lagomi/Congalala event quest "Fan Club: Two-Toned" solo has been the hardest challenge so far. Bellyflops + slides at once lol. Was using level 3 Nerscylla S set with Leidenskrakft (Gore Magala Charge Axe).

krossj

I'm not an expert but Just try and stay in archdemon mode and you should be using the x+a combo as much as you can when the monster is down. Outside that you should use whats safe to use at the time and keep moving. Keep an eye on your stamina too, any stamina skill or using mega dash juice will be very useful. I've gemed stam recov up in my current armour.

I've used them the most in 4U and they are really fun but basic when compared with some of the other weapons.

Rawk Hawk

I've heard that they do. It would make sense to penalize players for failing a mount to keep them from spamming it over and over again.

I don't think I worded my question right (or maybe I did, but just to be safe). Here is an example:

We've mounted Gravios a couple times, this next mount will take 5 well placed jump attacks. I land the 5th and mount him. If I succeed, the next one will take 7 well placed hits, if I fail the next one will take ??? amount of hits.

I guess I'm curious if ??? would be 5 or 7. So I think it will penalize you regardless, it won't be the next attack auto mounts, I guess the question is how sever is the penalty.

Sounds like you think it would be 7 next time, if you understood me right and I understand you right.. which given my scatter brain, seems unlikely.

Edit: also note the numbers are completely made up, I don't know if that's even how the mounting mechanic works. But it's something along those lines, I would think.

I don't think I worded my question right (or maybe I did, but just to be safe). Here is an example:

We've mounted Gravios a couple times, this next mount will take 5 well placed jump attacks. I land the 5th and mount him. If I succeed, the next one will take 7 well placed hits, if I fail the next one will take ??? amount of hits.

I guess I'm curious if ??? would be 5 or 7. So I think it will penalize you regardless, it won't be the next attack auto mounts, I guess the question is how sever is the penalty.

Sounds like you think it would be 7 next time, if you understood me right and I understand you right.. which given my scatter brain, seems unlikely.

Edit: also note the numbers are completely made up, I don't know if that's even how the mounting mechanic works. But it's something along those lines, I would think.

Well, remember our fight again Chameleos and my failed mount on it? I tried it again and it seems to add to the resistance of being mounted for the next few attempts.

Infinite

Mounting like everything else is tied to a stat. Once you mount a monster their resistance to it increases so it becomes harder to mount the monster a second and third time.

tuffy

I don't think I worded my question right (or maybe I did, but just to be safe).
jorgejjvr's surely the real mounting expert and would know better than I. But as I understand it, mounting works like a status effect. If your mounting hits don't trigger a mount, your odds are still the same for the next hit. If you wind up on the monster's back, it develops a resistance to mounting and your odds get worse the next time around. And even if it throws you off and the mount doesn't work out, your odds are still worse the next time around.

jorgejjvr

Well, I know for a fact that if you fail a mount, it'll be harder to mount again. This can easily be tested in solo (since most offline monsters only need one jump attack to be mounted). So yes, I'd say that if you fail, their resistance is still increased. However, to me, it FEELS like failing a mount increases their resistance more than succeeding a mount (perhaps as a punishment), but that could be psychological.

-Alternis

126, but I made the room specifically with the Guild Quest 126 marker, with Kirin, and with the description saying GUILD QUEST PLAYERS. So I don't know what they thought they were joining.

Well if you want I could try a few runs once i'm done with lunch.
*Edit: Or we can do a run now and then I can get back once my pizza comes and goes.

126, but I made the room specifically with the Guild Quest 126 marker, with Kirin, and with the description saying GUILD QUEST PLAYERS. So I don't know what they thought they were joining.

They could be checking the weapon/armor bias. AFAIK, you can't find out that information until you actually enter the room and check the quest board.

brau

I'll be playing in 40 mins... i want to go through whatever remains of my wystones. and just help out if people need support. If not, just play and hunt.

I'll post the room ID when i get home. Unless someone posts a room to join.

Precisely what I thought and why I said what I said lol.

The weapon seems pretty freestyle until you get to archdemon mode. Ill figure something out.

I've used nothing but DB here. Basically, I never use the normal attacks. I'm always in demon mode or archdemon mode. Use demon mode to get to archdemon mode, or to refill the meter, or to use demon dance. Otherwise I generally try to stay in archdemon as much as possible. Don't let the meter get down to 0 because then you have to start all over again, and that can be a pain if you really need the extra speed from archdemon.

I used to be a fan of stamina management skills like Stamina, Constitutn, etc, but now I just keep 5 Mega Dash Juices at all times. That's usually enough to get me through most hunts, and man does it feel good to have UNLIMITED stamina!!! Totally changes the game to be able to stay in demon mode forever and to have unlimited dashing.

My most reliable attacks in demon mode are:

"A" does a double uppercut, which can be cancelled into a couple other moves after the first uppercut (see below). This move will get you to archdemon the quickest.

"A X" if you hit X after the first uppercut, you will do the spindash from archdemon mode. This is useful if you can see that your second uppercut isn't going to hit, then maybe you can get him with the spindash.

"A B" this is to dodge cancel after the first uppercut if it looks like an attack is incoming.

"A+X" demon dance, your most powerful single move, but is totally un-cancellable and should only be used in safe situations.

There's some sort of infinite combo in demon mode as well that I never bothered to learn because I dash around so much.

Then in archdemon mode:

"A+X" the spindash that should be abused heavily.

"X A+X" or "X X A+X" this will get you a nice little mini demon dance that has several cancel points within it.

I used to be a fan of stamina management skills like Stamina, Constitutn, etc, but now I just keep 5 Mega Dash Juices at all times. That's usually enough to get me through most hunts, and man does it feel good to have UNLIMITED stamina!!! Totally changes the game to be able to stay in demon mode forever and to have unlimited dashing.

How are you farming those Dash Extracts at a high enough click to use them in every mission?

Top Bottom