• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Rawk Hawk

Brau when we grouped yesterday, I think you mounted Akantor and had low life (20-30%). I think all three of us lifepowdered you, that's the type of stuff GAF notices, without any previous coordination. We want max damage on the toppled foe, and we topped your HP off. It's the little things that keep that damage up time high. (We then wiped, so.. yea..)

But just for others, that's a good practice, check the mounters HP. I usually use that time to use my cheap healing items since you have an opening, but might be worth using a lifepowder if they are low.

One thing I need to start doing is bringing combines for more, I have like 500 fangs and claws from all the fights.

brau

Lifepowder is great for saving randoms from carting. Used it last night.

I noticed in high rank, randoms tend to not know skills require 10 points to activate usually. Also they don't seem to be aware that they need freelement for some weapons.... Tried to help them but they're just confused on what I am saying lol.

I am sure its hard to convey all of that through crappy chat. you can't even auto correct. Its so annoying haha. I am sure because of latency issues they didn't try to use the mic. But that is one of the things i loved from the 3U on the wiiU. chat.

Brau when we grouped yesterday, I think you mounted Akantor and had low life (20-30%). I think all three of us lifepowdered you, that's the type of stuff GAF notices, without any previous coordination. We want max damage on the toppled foe, and we topped your HP off. It's the little things that keep that damage up time high. (We then wiped, so.. yea..)

But just for others, that's a good practice, check the mounters HP. I usually use that time to use my cheap healing items since you have an opening, but might be worth using a lifepowder if they are low.

One thing I need to start doing is bringing combines for more, I have like 500 fangs and claws from all the fights.

Totally. Even tho Akantor still beat the crap out of us all the times we tried him haha. But i like that it works more like a team. If i see someone with low health about to get hit... i have flash bombs, or life powders. Or i try to hit on head to stumble the monster, or send someone flying with a hit of my CB.Lately i have been in the habit of setting traps with bombs or things like that.

All this working with people that adapt well to certain situations. Its fun. It really shows the ability and skill of people around here. If something got in the way, you guys don't do it again. We approach it in a different way that works better.

Good times. You don't get that stuff from a lot of randoms.

GAF helped me get to G-rank Bronze but I am still learning the game. I keep forgetting to bring lifepowders so I'll need to put some effort into this for future fights.

Some of you guys are incredible hunters, and it makes this GS user humbled in terms of almost flawless execution with your preferred weapons.

Tom_Cody

I know what you mean, tbh get a bit fussy / bossy pre-quest, and will kick people I don't think can manage, or insist they eat for defence. I know it sounds awful, but sometimes you just don't want to be doing all the carrying,

I find it really odd how people will just immediately quit after one cart. It's not like it'll drag the score down by a thousand points.
I'm certainly more annoyed when someone triple carts than when someone quits. It's more just strange and non-nonsensical when people quit. I always just assume that they have a real life interruption.

Yea, the thing with GAF members I think is we don't mind sacrificing our own damage out put for better team output. Sheathing to life powder or dust of life, taking an extra second to not all run to the same spot on a toppled monsters so we all trip each other. With randoms I feel like people are more greedy and basically just want to be able to tell themselves "Well, it wasn't me" even if only to themselves as they log off.

And now, MH Random Psychology Hour:
The one thing I have noticed though, life powders seem contagious. I feel like if I use one in a fight, it reminds those randoms and they will be more mindful of it in the future. So, a lot of times I life powder minimal damage towards the beginning of a hunt to set the tone of a team battle. Any one else get that feeling with randoms online? Maybe I'm just convincing myself I'm doing something when in reality I'm not, haha.
Interesting comments guys.

Also, this is telling me that I should starting bringing/using group healing items. I have brought them occasionally, but they have never impacted the outcome of a fight for me. I think I just need to add them to my standard item set.

brau

I'm certainly more annoyed when someone triple carts than when someone quits. It's more just strange and non-nonsensical when people quit. I always just assume that they have a real life interruption.

Interesting comments guys.

Also, this is telling me that I should starting bringing/using group healing items. I have brought them occasionally, but they have never impacted the outcome of a fight for me. I think I just need to add them to my standard item set.

Healing items make a big difference. Even with randoms. They tend not to cart as often, and its often more like a warning of pick up the pace dude.

I don't really mind people carting tho. I know i don't always move accordingly and end up carting myself haha. Luckily... i tend to move a lot. But still.. shit happens, maybe someone is not playing their best or its their first time playing a certain monster in G Rank. haha. Just yesterday we went after some monsters i had not had a chance to fight just yet. Like Shah Dalamadur. That was cool.

Rawk Hawk

GAF helped me get to G-rank Bronze but I am still learning the game. I keep forgetting to bring lifepowders so I'll need to put some effort into this for future fights.

Some of you guys are incredible hunters, and it makes this GS user humbled in terms of almost flawless execution with your preferred weapons.

Have you started using item sets yet? I set up one with my standards and just run to the box to top them off after each fight. Although this gets me in trouble sometimes because I don't keep cold/hot drinks in my 1 size fits all item set, and once in a while I forget to bring them.

The materials for lifepowders are just showered on you after each fight, so it isn't that tough to keep a good stock of them. They are worth an item slot for sure, I actually keep them on my touch screen as a short cut so I can hit it in a pinch. Dust of Life on the other hand I don't always bring, I do sort of reserve those for GAF groups, which is probably selfish of me, but they are harder to come by and I don't have many in stock. Although I don't normally do hard monsters with randoms either, so dusts shouldn't be needed.

Have you started using item sets yet? I set up one with my standards and just run to the box to top them off after each fight. Although this gets me in trouble sometimes because I don't keep cold/hot drinks in my 1 size fits all item set, and once in a while I forget to bring them.

I have a couple sitting around, but I keep forgetting to check it. Need to make a habit of it.

tuffy

That reminds me I need to stock up on more Portable Steam Bombs, and maybe put them into my main item set full-time. When Akantor inflicts defense-down (and your hunter starts smoking) even blademasters will get one-shotted left and right until that effect gets cured; the status effect is just that bad.

The good news is, I've figured out it'd be pretty easy to update my anti-Akantor set for better survivability. The bad news is, I'd have to add the Zinogre X helm which is one of the ugliest armor pieces in the game. It looks like a big white Zinogre poo perched on my hunter's head. Dunno what they were thinking with that one.

brau

You guys will laugh at my inventory. I am the most over prepared guy. I have all 3 pages full for every quest. hahaha

I carry.

• Potion
  • Mega Potion
  • Antidote
  • Demondrug
  • Cool Drink
  • Hot Drink
  • Cleanser
  • Deodorant
  • Ancient Potion
  • Life Powder
  • Powercharm
  • Armorcharm
  • Well-done Steak
  • Paintball
  • Flash Bomb
  • Dung Bomb
  • Tranq Bomb
  • Pitfall Trap
  • Shock Trap
  • Barrel Bomb L+
  • Mega Pickaxe
  • Mega Bug Net
  • Whetstones
  • Dense Marcoal

LOL. All 3 pages full. Not only that... all of the items in my inventory are usually full. haha

Rawk Hawk

On the topic of team building, has anyone tried voice chat while playing? Keoni and I did it a while ago using teamspeak, and that can be pretty fun as well.

Brau, what about power/armor talons? We can hunt some Deviljho for parts if you need. I use all 4 in mine, power charm, power talon, armor charm, armor talon all staples for me.

Mine is always: Potion, Mega Potion, Honey, Herbs, Antidotes, Whetstones, Max Potions, Life Powder, Well Done Steaks, Mega Pickaxe, Mega Bug Net, Power Charm, Power Talon, Armor Charm, Armor Talon, Nulberry and Dung Bombs. I think that's everything, I fill 2 pages one 1 slot on third. I grab drinks, cleansers or whatever depending on the fight. Like tuffy mentioned though, I think I'm going to start doing steam bombs in there as well.

brau

On the topic of team building, has anyone tried voice chat while playing? Keoni and I did it a while ago using teamspeak, and that can be pretty fun as well.

What kind of sorcery is this you speak of? Through the 3ds? Or using skype or something?

Brau, what about power/armor talons? We can hunt some Deviljho for parts if you need. I use all 4 in mine, power charm, power talon, armor charm, armor talon all staples for me.

We should get some. I have not farmed Djho.

deim0s

That reminds me I need to stock up on more Portable Steam Bombs, and maybe put them into my main item set full-time. When Akantor inflicts defense-down (and your hunter starts smoking) even blademasters will get one-shotted left and right until that effect gets cured; the status effect is just that bad.

The good news is, I've figured out it'd be pretty easy to update my anti-Akantor set for better survivability. The bad news is, I'd have to add the Zinogre X helm which is one of the ugliest armor pieces in the game. It looks like a big white Zinogre poo perched on my hunter's head. Dunno what they were thinking with that one.

Or just don't get greedy to be hit. Adamant Seeds are easier to farm literally to counter that defense down.

Tom_Cody

Healing items make a big difference. Even with randoms. They tend not to cart as often, and its often more like a warning of pick up the pace dude.

I don't really mind people carting tho. I know i don't always move accordingly and end up carting myself haha. Luckily... i tend to move a lot. But still.. shit happens, maybe someone is not playing their best or its their first time playing a certain monster in G Rank. haha. Just yesterday we went after some monsters i had not had a chance to fight just yet. Like Shah Dalamadur. That was cool.
I get where you're coming from. It's more that I have had a string of bad experiences over the last week or so. When you only get in 2-4 hunts per day, it's annoying when 1-2 get spoiled by triple carts.

The materials for lifepowders are just showered on you after each fight, so it isn't that tough to keep a good stock of them. They are worth an item slot for sure, I actually keep them on my touch screen as a short cut so I can hit it in a pinch. Dust of Life on the other hand I don't always bring, I do sort of reserve those for GAF groups, which is probably selfish of me, but they are harder to come by and I don't have many in stock. Although I don't normally do hard monsters with randoms either, so dusts shouldn't be needed.
Noted. Good advice.

From my experience, one-shot-kills are a bigger issue than healing neglect, but I'm going to start bringing this stuff anyway. I'm sure I'll notice more uses for them if they're actually part of my standard kit.

brau

I was just reading about this. No wonder i was one shotted for no reason under him. Usually it doesn't cart me. But this makes sense. So many things to consider. I'll start carrying those too. :)

I get where you're coming from. It's more that I have had a string of bad experiences over the last week or so. When you only get in 2-4 hunts per day, it's annoying when 1-2 get spoiled by triple carts.

Noted. Good advice.

From my experience, one-shot-kills are a bigger issue than healing neglect, but I'm going to start bringing this stuff anyway. I'm sure I'll notice more uses for them if they're actually part of my standard kit.

I can understand that. You have limited time and you want the hunts to be successful so you can say your time spent was well spent. Do you post here on GAF when you start a room?

tuffy

Or just don't get greedy to be hit. Adamant Seeds are easier to farm literally to counter that defense down.
It's more for other people than myself. If I notice someone's been hit with that effect, I'll throw down a Steam Bomb near the fighting and hope they'll spot it in time.

Tom_Cody

I can understand that. You have limited time and you want the hunts to be successful so you can say your time spent was well spent. Do you post here on GAF when you start a room?
I play with randoms roughly 100% of the time that I play online. Maybe I need to start playing with GAF.

Well, Rawk and I have been gaming for a while now (almost 2-3 years?) in which we've mainly used voice communication programs like Skype or Teamspeak.

It's just easier for him and I to coordinate which part of the monster we'll strike when it's toppled.

If he's using hammer, I'll give him priority for the head and I'll go for the tail if at all possible. If he's using something else, I'll be taking the monster's head section myself.

That and it's fun basically cursing after a cart sometimes and we'll mock each other for it.

Tarps

You guys will laugh at my inventory. I am the most over prepared guy. I have all 3 pages full for every quest. hahaha

/ SNIP HUGE LIST

LOL. All 3 pages full. Not only that... all of the items in my inventory are usually full. haha

That really is the kitchen sink, what are you gonna do when you can carry power / armour talons?

brau

Yea I used my laptop, but yea teamspeak is like a skype.

We should do that. That would help coordinate when we play as well, or would like someone to get online. I could do skype, but prefer gchat.

I play with randoms roughly 100% of the time that I play online. Maybe I need to start playing with GAF.

You should. The short time i have been playing with GAF people i have been pretty happy, and i always learn something new while playing with them. They are pretty great.

Well, Rawk and I have been gaming for a while now (almost 2-3 years?) in which we've mainly used voice communication programs like Skype or Teamspeak.

It's just easier for him and I to coordinate which part of the monster we'll strike when it's toppled.

If he's using hammer, I'll give him priority for the head and I'll go for the tail if at all possible. If he's using something else, I'll be taking the monster's head section myself.

That and it's fun basically cursing after a cart sometimes and we'll mock each other for it.

I agree with this.Here at work i play with 3 coworkers. Being able to say when monsters are going down. or request help, or mention which side of hte monster you are going for helps a ton.

That really is the kitchen sink, what are you gonna do when you can carry power / armour talons?

Prbly get rid of the deodorant and cleanser. LOL.

Rawk Hawk

We should do that. That would help coordinate when we play as well, or would like someone to get online. I could do skype, but prefer gchat.

You should. The short time i have been playing with GAF people i have been pretty happy, and i always learn something new while playing with them. They are pretty great.

I agree with this.Here at work i play with 3 coworkers. Being able to say when monsters are going down. or request help, or mention which side of hte monster you are going for helps a ton.

Prbly get rid of the deodorant and cleanser. LOL.

I agree with this.Here at work i play with 3 coworkers. Being able to say when monsters are going down. or request help, or mention which side of hte monster you are going for helps a ton. LOL.

Here at work i play with 3 coworkers.

/singletear so.. lucky..

Tom_Cody

Cool. The next time I have to play is Thursday night. I'll pop in here and see what's happening.

I hope it's not an issue that I'm only HR-7

brau

/singletear so.. lucky..

LOL. good breakdown. hahaha we play for an hour during lunch. Its awesome. We gather a crowd because we tend to get loud and scream at the monsters. Super fun. :)

Cool. The next time I have to play is Thursday night. I'll pop in here and see what's happening.

I hope it's not an issue that I'm only HR-7

Nevah. We'll help you rank up if that is what you want. Or just farm if you need pieces. :D

eschiver

EST here too... i'll be on later today.

Tho i am moving soon to the west coast. :O

I am EST too. I'm HR7 as well! I hang out mostly in the MH4U Steam Chat group though cause chat just feels easier than forum. Feel free to drop by there as well and I'll try to look here at night as well.

Heh, I think he said Thursday evening is when he'll be free. But yeah, don't worry about your rank if you just want to get keys outta the way and get to G-rank.

Yrael

I seem to be much luckier with the drops from some monsters than others...I've hunted 10 Teostras, which have given me 9 Teostra gems and 2 Large Elder Dragon Gems.

And stilll no Shagaru mantle. xD

Demoli

Used my break from gaf to build a multitude of sets. From only having Charge Blade sets, i now have IG, DB, SA, GS, Elemental LBG, seregios LBG, Hame HBG, Gunlance, Hammer, Lance, expedition, Charm hunting and my current favorite, the boomstick Oooh boy i love me some boomstick.

brau

It's in the Theme Shop, not the E-Shop, and it should be the first thing under game related titles.

It's a great theme.

Got it :D I wish they had a dark version. I actually like a lot of the backdrops on the guild card. Wish some of those would make it for a backdrop on my 3ds :D Those folders are cute tho. MH themed.

Aside from regular hunting, anyone really enjoy Meownster Hunting?

I don't play the minigame, but i do try to send my cats on quests as often as possible. I love all the decorations and armors you can build for them. They look pretty badass.

PrankT

I think we might get the Dante palico armor.

I mostly want the GX Hunter quest, that armor is all I need for making an even better GS set.
The GX Hunter armor is wonderful...well, at least the chest, arms, and waist. I found a room running the quest and now have a set with Attack XL, Challenger 2, Critical Draw, Focus, and Rock Steady (seregios gs so I don't need sharpness). Or for specific monsters I put in Tremor Resist/Negate Bleed/Bio Researcher and drop Attack down to M. Granted, I have a nifty Attack 14/Charge 5 talisman. The Hunter arms also go on my hammer and horn builds for the spirit+6 and 3 slots.

brau

@Alternis

or anyone that can help. I saw you have the Star Knight set. You have the quest? I would love to get that set. I'll be playing later today. Anyone? From what i saw its not a dlc that is out, eh?

Leezard

The GX Hunter armor is wonderful...well, at least the chest, arms, and waist. I found a room running the quest and now have a set with Attack XL, Challenger 2, Critical Draw, Focus, and Rock Steady (seregios gs so I don't need sharpness). Or for specific monsters I put in Tremor Resist/Negate Bleed/Bio Researcher and drop Attack down to M. Granted, I have a nifty Attack 14/Charge 5 talisman. The Hunter arms also go on my hammer and horn builds for the spirit+6 and 3 slots.

That's an amazing set, it would go great with my relic GS as well. I want the waist mostly, but the chest appears to be useful too.

I currently use a set with Atk up L, Latent Power+1, Crit Draw, Focus, Rock Steady, (Mushromancer/Tremor Res/Bio Research/whatever 5 slot skill) using a FastCharge +6 one slot charm, but with the GX Hunter waist I think I could upgrade one skill at least. I have an amazing 3-slot relic GS so that makes it easier to make sets.

jorgejjvr

I carry.

• Potion
  • Mega Potion
  • Antidote
  • Demondrug
  • Cool Drink
  • Hot Drink
  • Cleanser
  • Deodorant
  • Ancient Potion
  • Life Powder
  • Powercharm
  • Armorcharm
  • Well-done Steak
  • Paintball
  • Flash Bomb
  • Dung Bomb
  • Tranq Bomb
  • Pitfall Trap
  • Shock Trap
  • Barrel Bomb L+
  • Mega Pickaxe
  • Mega Bug Net
  • Whetstones
  • Dense Marcoal

You're kidding, why don't you have powertalons and armortalons?

-Alternis

Top Bottom