• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

brau

We are slacking today, I didn't really get to play last night so not much to share, haha. I did hop on for a quick fight, need some Teostra parts for armor and a weapon I want to make, started the fight with randoms and instantly DC'd, spent 20 minutes trying to solo him and ended up dying. Honestly his rush was the worst for me to avoid, just kept getting trampled. I didn't notice how annoying that was, since usually there are multiple targets for him to attack.

Should've joined us. We took on Teostra for an urgent pretty quick.. We must've played for a solid 3 hrs haha.

tuffy

We are slacking today, I didn't really get to play last night so not much to share, haha. I did hop on for a quick fight, need some Teostra parts for armor and a weapon I want to make, started the fight with randoms and instantly DC'd, spent 20 minutes trying to solo him and ended up dying. Honestly his rush was the worst for me to avoid, just kept getting trampled. I didn't notice how annoying that was, since usually there are multiple targets for him to attack.
I have a set with the Constitution +2 skill specifically for handling Teostra. He'll charge at me three times in a row regularly, and I swear a Guild Quest one came after me five times in a row. Not to mention he's always on the move to begin with which already requires a ton of rolls to keep up with him. And if a ranged supernova is coming my way, it's vital to have at least one more roll in the tank to avoid it.

It's all just Seregios and Rusted Daora parts which makes it hugely flame resistant too, which is nice.

brau

I have a set with the Constitution +2 skill specifically for handling Teostra. He'll charge at me three times in a row regularly, and I swear a Guild Quest one came after me five times in a row. Not to mention he's always on the move to begin with which already requires a ton of rolls to keep up with him. And if a ranged supernova is coming my way, it's vital to have at least one more roll in the tank to avoid it.

It's all just Seregios and Rusted Daora parts which makes it hugely flame resistant too, which is nice.

Yea.. my rust kushala set has Constitution +2. I can keep on the move and not worry about my stamina bar as often.

Rawk Hawk

Should've joined us. We took on Teostra for an urgent pretty quick.. We must've played for a solid 3 hrs haha.

Oh I don't even want to hear it, you and tuffy are both on my friends list and I tried to join your room for like 2-3 hours while I got stuck watching a girlie movie with my wife. But no, your room was always full. I felt so alone, but luckily Zac Efron helped me get through it.

brau

Oh I don't even want to hear it, you and tuffy are both on my friends list and I tried to join your room for like 2-3 hours while I got stuck watching a girlie movie with my wife. But no, your room was always full. I felt so alone, but luckily Zac Efron helped me get through it.

Its true tho! everytime someone dropped it was immediately replaced. Like not even kidding right away. I think there was a point where we had to wait for a 4th person. But overall, it was a solid 3 hrs of gameplay with minimal waiting and a few failed quests. We are still getting trampled by Ukanlos and Akantor. hahaha specially ukanlos.. he is so mean.

We even did chameleos with no items. lol. That was alright. Glad its over.

Rawk Hawk

Its true tho! everytime someone dropped it was immediately replaced. Like not even kidding right away. I think there was a point where we had to wait for a 4th person. But overall, it was a solid 3 hrs of gameplay with minimal waiting and a few failed quests. We are still getting trampled by Ukanlos and Akantor. hahaha specially ukanlos.. he is so mean.

We even did chameleos with no items. lol. That was alright. Glad its over.

Did you do those High Rank Deviljho's for your Talons? I was going to post naked and afraid if I got in, haha.

brau

Did you do those High Rank Deviljho's for your Talons? I was going to post naked and afraid if I got in, haha.

Hehe.. we should do that one. The naked one. We did like 3 jhos.. figured we had to do it in High Rank. Got 4. realized later i had already 5 in my inventory haha. So i have my talon charms now :) I am unstoppable! except for you know.. ukanlos and akantor.

I dunno how we would do against Jho with no armor haha.

tuffy

Hehe.. we should do that one. The naked one. We did like 3 jhos.. figured we had to do it in High Rank. Got 4. realized later i had already 5 in my inventory haha. So i have my talon charms now :) I am unstoppable! except for you know.. ukanlos and akantor.
The big delay from rapid-firing flame shots from the Brachy gun keeps getting me clobbered by Super Ukanlos, and I really should know better by now. I should switch to the Rathalos gun, or a pierce HBG, or something else that keeps me from getting flattened.
I dunno how we would do against Jho with no armor haha.
Naked Jhos are surprisingly easy. They're balanced to hit for hardly any damage. Switch to a ranged weapon and they're easier still.

Rawk Hawk

The big delay from rapid-firing flame shots from the Brachy gun keeps getting me clobbered by Super Ukanlos, and I really should know better by now. I should switch to the Rathalos gun, or a pierce HBG, or something else that keeps me from getting flattened.

Naked Jhos are surprisingly easy. They're balanced to hit for hardly any damage. Switch to a ranged weapon and they're easier still.

I wouldn't mind finished off my HBG set and making a Destiny's Arm, and trying Ukanlos with that. I know it sheaths slower, but the rapid fire on Regios' gun is what got me killed the last time we did Ukanlos. The other thing would be eating and gearing for attack, last time I did everything for defense, but he one shots you anyway, so kind of wasted those spots. I haven't done him yet on blademaster though, maybe I should give my Miku Miku Mi set a try, that his high ice defense.

tuffy

I wouldn't mind finished off my HBG set and making a Destiny's Arm, and trying Ukanlos with that. I know it sheaths slower, but the rapid fire on Regios' gun is what got me killed the last time we did Ukanlos. The other thing would be eating and gearing for attack, last time I did everything for defense, but he one shots you anyway, so kind of wasted those spots. I haven't done him yet on blademaster though, maybe I should give my Miku Miku Mi set a try, that his high ice defense.
The problem I had with HBG wasn't so much the sheathing speed - since Ukanlos takes ages to finally get under the ice - but the un-sheathing speed. I'd sheathe while he was burrowing, chase him down, then spend what seemed like ages getting my weapon out so I could unload more pierce shots into him. LBG sheathes and unsheathes really fast which solves that problem, but getting caught in the middle of a rapid-fire barrage is embarrassing.

I've tempted to yank the limiter off the Nether Phloxion and use it like a pierce gun to see if that's remotely effective.
Considering a Cera GS weapon, and might do both Black Diablos and regular Diablos tonight. Anyone game after 8:30pm EST?
I'll probably be around then because why not.

brau

IIRC the JP version of Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii could have 10 players in one lobby. I think MH1 had a 8 player limit, so enough to run two full party quests.

Holy cow... never played that one. Started with FU. Then 3U. Now U4. Actually that party system sounds good.

Rawk Hawk

IIRC the JP version of Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii could have 10 players in one lobby. I think MH1 had a 8 player limit, so enough to run two full party quests.

I assume only 4 could go on a hunt still? That would make sense why there are 4 possible spots for hunts on the hunting board, you could potentially have 2-3 going on at once with a 10 man lobby.

tuffy

That would explain why Tanzia's canteen in 3 Ultimate has "overflow seating" upstairs despite having four seats next to the cook. The four player limit might've come later on in development.

I would love the lobbies to be bigger to tell everybody that you got a mantle or that the other guy carted 3 times :p

Or to be like my room, got 2 blasthearts and everybody fled.

brau

That would explain why Tanzia's canteen in 3 Ultimate has "overflow seating" upstairs despite having four seats next to the cook. The four player limit might've come later on in development.

This is true! i just realize that there was more seating. Hmm. super ineteresting. Also the lobbies where pretty big. This time around they are a lot more contained.

I just realized I never hunted with gaf

We need to change that. Now that i hunt with these guys. i feel a lot better about myself as a human being.

What's everyone up to?

Hey dude. how you feeling?

jorgejjvr

This is true! i just realize that there was more seating. Hmm. super ineteresting. Also the lobbies where pretty big. This time around they are a lot more contained.

We need to change that. Now that i hunt with these guys. i feel a lot better about myself as a human being.

Hey dude. how you feeling?
You mean my brother?

He's sick, but he is getting better

This is jorge, the real owner of the account, he uses mine from time to time

brau

You mean my brother?

He's sick, but he is getting better

This is jorge, the real owner of the account, he uses mine from time to time

:O PLOT TWIST!

Who ever uses the account... and was sick. I hope they feel better.

EDIT: is that why he always signs with -Alternis at the bottom? this would make perfect sense.

jorgejjvr

:O PLOT TWIST!

Who ever uses the account... and was sick. I hope they feel better.

EDIT: is that why he always signs with -Alternis at the bottom? this would make perfect sense.
Yes. That is correct. And if you play with me in MH you will see jorgejjvr as my username, and his as Alternis. We share the same games and 3ds

brau

Lets Talk

Where you guys planning to play?

Unfortunately i can't today. I usually play early in the mornings. From 6.30 am to around 8 am. Then at work at noon hr, and sometimes i get time to play from 6 till 10 or 11. Depends on the day. Won't get to play until monday on the evening tho :(

jorgejjvr

Unfortunately i can't today. I usually play early in the mornings. From 6.30 am to around 8 am. Then at work at noon hr, and sometimes i get time to play from 6 till 10 or 11. Depends on the day. Won't get to play until monday on the evening tho :(
Gotcha sorry to hear that!

Rawk Hawk

Here is a topic, Keoni and I were talking about hitstopping. Basically when the game slows your weapon down because you are doing a lot of damage.

I remember in a video (like Gaijin? but can't remember), this topic came up and he said people will purposely avoid weakness exploit or other boosts to stay below the hitstop threshold and allow for more hits to land in the same time window. Obviously a fairly advanced theory, but does anyone actively do this? Curious if anyone here has gone this far into damage calculations yet.

For me, I stack the most damage possible and use the hitstop as confirmation that I'm OP.

Here is a topic, Keoni and I were talking about hitstopping. Basically when the game slows your weapon down because you are doing a lot of damage.

I remember in a video (like Gaijin? but can't remember), this topic came up and he said people will purposely avoid weakness exploit or other boosts to stay below the hitstop threshold and allow for more hits to land in the same time window. Obviously a fairly advanced theory, but does anyone actively do this? Curious if anyone here has gone this far into damage calculations yet.

For me, I stack the most damage possible and use the hitstop as confirmation that I'm OP.

So much math.

brau

Nothing beats knowing you are scoring critical with every hit. Its not the same to not get that hit feedback.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I swing at things until they die.
Me too.
096.jpg

brau

Found it, right around 3 minute mark he brings it up. Just curious if anyone takes this into consideration. I'm mainly with you guys though, stack damage and swing until things stop moving.

Yea.. i like the feedback. thats all. From fighting different monsters, i feel like i know where to hit to down them faster. BUT! playing online with you guys, i honestly just go to the side where people are not clustered. You guys are pretty good at picking sides. Whomever is closer to a side attacks that. Sometimes i send someone flying that is on the other side, or someone running to hit the same spot. But over all. just attack until dead.

Yea.. i like the feedback. thats all. From fighting different monsters, i feel like i know where to hit to down them faster. BUT! playing online with you guys, i honestly just go to the side where people are not clustered. You guys are pretty good at picking sides. Whomever is closer to a side attacks that. Sometimes i send someone flying that is on the other side, or someone running to hit the same spot. But over all. just attack until dead.

I think the great thing about very high DPS charged weapons like GS and hammer, is that if you don't get the hell out of the way, that super charge is coming down no matter what.

Also fun to send people flying after they finish their carves and stand around doing nothing.

brau

I think the great thing about very high DPS charged weapons like GS and hammer, is that if you don't get the hell out of the way, that super charge is coming down no matter what.

Also fun to send people flying after they finish their carves and stand around doing nothing.

Lol. i do that all the time. I get into 1 on 1s with people. I wish sometimes it had some sort of pvp. It would be interesting.

I also have an alley oop msg for when i launch people with my CB.

Beats

When I'm using the SnS I usually try to hit the legs/back legs while sneaking in hits on the weakpoints or other parts and then I try and mostly hit the big weakspot (usually the head) when it's down. Though if there's a hammer user I'll stay away from the head or try to position myself so that I can still hit the head but not in a spot where my attacks will hit them or theirs will hit me when the monster is down.

Feebastic

Is there any solid advice out there about the Meownster Hunter minigame? I'm aware of all the basic mechanics (rock/paper/scissors, recovery pals, treasure hunters etc) but I want to know what else affects my chances. Do palico's levels/ equipment make a big difference? Can leveling up my palico change a melee strike into a melee barrage? Also, I've never seen an Unreal Blocker/ Skill Technician pal, but I'm told they're really useful. What do they do?

Is there any solid advice out there about the Meownster Hunter minigame? I'm aware of all the basic mechanics (rock/paper/scissors, recovery pals, treasure hunters etc) but I want to know what else affects my chances. Do palico's levels/ equipment make a big difference? Can leveling up my palico change a melee strike into a melee barrage? Also, I've never seen an Unreal Blocker/ Skill Technician pal, but I'm told they're really useful. What do they do?
Leveling them up really helps then survive the elder dragon encounters. Equipment isn't used on Meownster Hunter quests so it's a null point. And no, the Palico skills are set so they won't improve. And unreal blocking allows your cat to not take damage for the monsters turn, while skill tech makes it more likely to activate during the monsters turn. It also helps on your turn to make sure all your attack cats are active otherwise you'll be at the mercy of the RNG.

KimChi

Finally done with finals and can put more time into monster hunter :3
I'm itching to eventually try out LBG, any recommended weapons and armor sets to mess around with at G rank?

Any particular skills that are a must have for LBG? i'll likely aim for evade extender at the least but dunno what else.

Normal Up in the case of the Seregios LBG, since it has rapid fire with Normal Lv2 shots, and Dead Eye, which is a great ability for all guns since it extends the critical range of your shot.

Top Bottom