• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Any particular skills that are a must have for LBG? i'll likely aim for evade extender at the least but dunno what else.

I tend to build around elemental RF, because that's what the LBG does best. Bonus Shot allows you to shoot an additional shot when using Rapid Fire, which is a pretty significant damage boost, though you have to choose your openings more carefully because you're stuck in place longer. The Fire/Water/Ice/Thunder/Dragon Atk Up skills are also highly recommended.

I need several vials of Rath Gleam. After which, if someone could explain what I need to do to get the black belt helm, maybe that, though I've never done Arena quests before.

44-6677-5530-6199

Password removed, still three empty slots.

Can anyone here send me a Ruby Basarios High Rank Quest please? I've been resetting the game for hours and not one has popped up yet I've gotten it in the past 2-3 days or so. Current Caravan 10 and HR6. I've never done online before at all so please be gentle :-(

Finally killed the caravan 10* rajang! Not the most beautiful fight cause I double carted and ran a lot from him, but efficiency prevail.
The funky cat gave me something (an afro?!? For who?)?

Yrael

Finally killed the caravan 10* rajang! Not the most beautiful fight cause I double carted and ran a lot from him, but efficiency prevail.
The funky cat gave me something (an afro?!? For who?)?

Ooh that reminds me, I still need to do that - it's the last request I have left in caravan. Gotta get that afro award for the guild card!

He wasn't as scary as I thought, I may just always gun him. Had a couple close calls, but really most of the fight I felt safe enough to plug shots into him.

I still have no idea how I carted on that one from full health. I asked another friend and he said it's probably due to the frenzy virus stacking quickly and combo from Garuga that'll one-shot ya.

Rawk Hawk

Don't forget The Master's Test *gulp*

-Alternis

I tried that once so far, and was so upset with myself I haven't gone back yet. The fight basically went:

Killed Seregios without much issue, smoke bombs and popping up the fence gave me enough time. Then on to Diablos, things went well with her and Deviljho comes. I farcast back, heal, sharpen, make combines. Come back out, run to fence, pop it up and fight Diablos more, fence drops Jho tremors me and Diablos kills me. No biggie, it's only 1/3, I come out and kill Diablos literally in the first hit. Now I'm retroactively upset I died to something that needed one tap. That anger led me to go complete ham on Jho, who just shrugged it off and killed me again. Last life, I come out, play it safe, knock out of apex and use my traps. Then tried a jump attack, missed and got comboed to death (lord of the dance, stunned, jaw scoop I think). If I landed the jump I'm certain he would have died. Also if I made it to Jho without that needless death I would have won as well.

Rawk Hawk

I still have no idea how I carted on that one from full health. I asked another friend and he said it's probably due to the frenzy virus stacking quickly and combo from Garuga that'll one-shot ya.

I can't remember exactly, but from my vantage point I think it was a rush attack wasn't it? Or maybe a peck.. was hard to see. I saw you basically just fall over and the message pop up, I just assumed there was some lag and you got comboed before I could see your health go down.

I can't remember exactly, but from my vantage point I think it was a rush attack wasn't it? Or maybe a peck.. was hard to see. I saw you basically just fall over and the message pop up, I just assumed there was some lag and you got comboed before I could see your health go down.

That could've been it, but it was really difficult to tell.

Has anyone played with the Metroid LBG yet?

Beats

had a thought about what else could they add for people to do at the end of the game besides grinding for stuff:

Leaderboards for each quest along with categories for solo, 2, 3 or 4 person parties. For solo rankings there could be subcategories for weapon used. And then another section for people who have used rank approriate gear, so like HR or lower gear for HR quests and LR gear for LR quests.

Maybe that's too many...lol. and not really something for everyone, but for people that like to compete it could be a cool addition.

also I dunno how feasible this would be but having in-game replays/replay sharing for them and just in general would be cool too. They don't have to be videos, but just input playback or something like in Smash Bros. I don't know of any 3d movement games that have that sort of system though and I'm not sure if the added dimension would bring about any significant complications. Or if there would be enough system resources to save your inputs during the quest.

Rawk Hawk

The Master's Test done quick with a lot of fancy glaive work.

Still need to tackle that one myself. I expect bowgunning them will be more difficult.

Watched a couple others do this as well, everyone single one seems to use that same IG. I'm not familiar with IG, but may make myself a blast weapon to bring along. Teostra's SA or Brach's.. hmm.. Teostra's looks cooler I think, so may go with making that.

Beats, I think arena has leaderboards, although I haven't done anything with arena yet myself. But that could be a fun way to test ourselves.

jorgejjvr

Didn't Tri/3U allow you to adjust the difficulty of pine quests by allowing you to put the number of people that can join (from 1-4)?

-Alternis

Tom_Cody

I've used the bow exclusively as I've played through the game (outside of some experimentation time at the very beginning) and I've been thinking about taking on a second weapon.

I want to choose between the Insect Glaive, Gunlance, and Switch Axe for my alternate weapon. Here's the question: which of these is suited to crafting a single set? I have fallen into a trap with the bow of trying to craft everything in order to be able to pair shot types and elements for each monster, which in turn requires specialized armor sets with Loap Up and Awaken. I want to make one blademaster set and as few weapons as possible with whichever of those I choose. Another way of saying this is, which of these is least effected by element? And if I go Gunlance, can I pick one of Normal, Spread, or Long and use it for everything? With the bow, rapid, spread, and pierce are extremely situational for each monster.

So, between the Insect Glaive, Gunlance, and/or Switch Axe, which requires the least specialization?

For what it's worth, I'm HR-7.

Shengar

also I dunno how feasible this would be but having in-game replays/replay sharing for them and just in general would be cool too. They don't have to be videos, but just input playback or something like in Smash Bros. I don't know of any 3d movement games that have that sort of system though and I'm not sure if the added dimension would bring about any significant complications. Or if there would be enough system resources to save your inputs during the quest.

If 3DS have share feature like PS4, I imagine there will be a lot of cool moment/ridiculous bad luck streak uploaded online. There will be dozens of video where people getting killed because of Rhenoplos, Konchu, or Apceros lol

Rawk Hawk

I've used the bow exclusively as I've played through the game (outside of some experimentation time at the very beginning) and I've been thinking about taking on a second weapon.

I want to choose between the Insect Glaive, Gunlance, and Switch Axe for my alternate weapon. Here's the question: which of these is suited to crafting a single set? I have fallen into a trap with the bow of trying to craft everything in order to be able to pair shot types and elements for each monster, which in turn requires specialized armor sets with Loap Up and Awaken. I want to make one blademaster set and as few weapons as possible with whichever of those I choose. Another way of saying this is, which of these is least effected by element? And if I go Gunlance, can I pick one of Normal, Spread, or Long and use it for everything? With the bow, rapid, spread, and pierce are extremely situational for each monster.

So, between the Insect Glaive, Gunlance, and/or Switch Axe, which requires the least specialization?

Switch Axe is the true master weapon of MH, one of us, one of us.

jorgejjvr

I haven't tried gun lance, but I'd imagine the shots aren't as situational (correct me if I'm wrong). However, between the Switch Axe and Insect Glaive, I'd definitely say the glaive is much more reliant on elements due to its DPS. As for armor, I'd say the Star Knight armor in G rank is great because of its skills (but it's almost impossible to acquire). Other than that, I would recommend choosing a switch axe with blast or paralysis (these two I find the most useful). If you go with paralysis, G rank chameleos armor is the way to go. If it's blast, I believe G rank brachydios gives bombardier. Though honestly, when it comes to blade master, and your current HR, skills don't really matter. They're just compliments. I would suppose the Artillery skill is great for gun lances but you don't NEED it. Focus is good for switch axes but you don't NEED it. Honestly for blade masters I prefer the more passive skills as opposed to skills which effect my actual weapon (Speed sharpening, divine blessing, etc.). Those are my two cents. Overall, I'd say gun lance or switch axe. Personally I find that the switch axe has both power and speed, while the gun lance is more slow and precise. You don't necessarily have to worry about blade master skills though IMO.

-Alternis

On the subject of switch axes, I always found them so slow and clunky to use... What's an armor set for G-rank that might make things feel a little better? Because boy do I ever want to use the Magala one...

Shengar

IG power come from itself, that is the kinsect. You can pretty much used one armor set for any IG besides the one that need Sharpness+1. Just remember to create Effect Extender Kinsect, even when you most likely don't have all material at this point. Just follow the evolution then upgrade it accordingly when you have access to the materials.

jorgejjvr

Thats what i use :D and i don't regret it. I love the versatility of it.

Don't forget charge blades. Honestly I find them versatile too, and they're on par with switch axes in terms of speed.

-Alternis

Regarding a previous post, I actually find Switch Axes to be one of the faster classes, especially in sword mode. You can dodge after almost any attack, and even though it's advised to switch between modes, you can just stay as either the axe or sword and still do great. I've never had a problem with it being slow.

Rawk Hawk

On the subject of switch axes, I always found them so slow and clunky to use... What's an armor set for G-rank that might make things feel a little better? Because boy do I ever want to use the Magala one...

I use the Uka Uka U template mainly for switch axe, Miku Miku Mi if I need poison (like for kushala). I like to have evade distance up on it, as I tend to roll a lot to close gaps as sheathing, running, unsheathing is pretty slow.

A great combo I use in axe mode is forward+X for like a forward thrust, then X for the overhead chop, then dodge left or right for a side hop. It comes out decently fast considering the weapon size and is an accurate shot to a specific spot. the overhead chop is the strongest axe hit, so that's always nice to land. When I first took up the axe, that was my bread and butter, I must have done tons of MH3U hunts using only those two attacks haha. Wasn't really until 4U I got good at swapping between sword and axe modes well.

Also there are quick changes between the two modes that are a must to keep things flowing, from Axe to Sword, the Forward+X trust can be followed up with R to take you into sword mode quickly and with an attack. From sword back to axe, you want the horizontal swipe with X then R. The sword mode X attack can be reach from just stand still X, or within any of the combos sword mode offers. But you don't want to run out of sword mode charge, as the auto animation back to axe mode is sort of long and can get you hit. And be mindful of when you need to reload, worse is gonig for a sword swing and not noticing you need a reload, and then sitting in front of a monsters face reloading.

brau

nvm.. i don't use the switch axe. i use the charge blade lol. I like how fast it can be, and if you lay down on a good spot, you can change to make some good damage. Also the ability to block while in a middle of a combo with the point break is pretty awesome.

Its a good combination and i do find myself changing between the sword and axe a lot depending the situation.

Rawk Hawk

nvm.. i don't use the switch axe. i use the charge blade lol. I like how fast it can be, and if you lay down on a good spot, you can change to make some good damage. Also the ability to block while in a middle of a combo with the point break is pretty awesome.

Its a good combination and i do find myself changing between the sword and axe a lot depending the situation.

You confused switch axe with charge blade?! How dare you sir.. We switch axers do not appreciate being grouped with those, shield users.

brau

You confused switch axe with charge blade?! How dare you sir.. We switch axers do not appreciate being grouped with those, shield users.

:) but... but... you've been seen around my shield.

I actually like the switch axe for the raw damage. You do one full charge and roll away.

But i like to keep on the move, so CB seems more dynamic. Definitely my weapon of choice so far. I need to get into IG. But i like to hit and make a monster stumble.

Top Bottom