• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Riposte

Some of these event quests are way too annoying to solo. I give up on Might and Melody. I hate Najarala as it is, don't need to fight a Tetsucabra at the same time.

co1onel

Farming for relic armor sets is the worst. First you have to have the quests that give the pieces you want, then you have to get it to a high enough level, then you have to keep doing it hoping that it gives you the exact piece with the exact skill points you want. I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of the guild quest system, but I'm sure it'll be back in the next game, and will probably be an even bigger part of the game. I guess it certainly has expanded the endgame material, I just wish it wasn't so rng dependent.

Shengar

If it isn't because Kushala X set, I would never see build such as elemental GS.

Farming for relic armor sets is the worst. First you have to have the quests that give the pieces you want, then you have to get it to a high enough level, then you have to keep doing it hoping that it gives you the exact piece with the exact skill points you want. I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of the guild quest system, but I'm sure it'll be back in the next game, and will probably be an even bigger part of the game. I guess it certainly has expanded the endgame material, I just wish it wasn't so rng dependent.

It become so tedious not only because the RNG but bland environment play huge part of it as well. The tediousness increased tenfold since only certain monsters drop the best Armor and Weapon which makes the endgame fights basically Rajang-Jho-Elder Dragons. I'm not saying that they should make Velocidrome give the same drop as Teostra, but they should introduce more monsters to fix this like more elder dragons (c'mon, give us Amatsumagatsuchi already) and strong monsters like Ivory Lagy, or Green Narga.

brau

Is Rusted Kushala supposed to be that annoying? We got it on the 2nd try, but dodging those tornadoes is like playing Frogger.

Rust is a lot easier if you have Wind Negate. You can either 1, get the chameleos armor. OR just add a hunting horn to your party that negates wind. :)

Doesn't really help with the vortexes of doom. Tho you can throw a flash bomb to bring rust down.

tuffy

Is Rusted Kushala supposed to be that annoying? We got it on the 2nd try, but dodging those tornadoes is like playing Frogger.
I know his shot hitzones were worse than regular Kushala Daora, but I didn't realize they were quite that bad. Went through ~200 pierce shots across all three levels before he finally died. He's just that resistant to physical damage, apparently.

I've got an idea for an elemental set if I ever need to tangle with him again, though. The Battalion Strafer rapid-fires water, poison and paralysis which may be more effective - if I can find openings large enough for those shots to hit.

Rust is a lot easier if you have Wind Negate. You can either 1, get the chameleos armor. OR just add a hunting horn to your party that negates wind. :)

Doesn't really help with the vortexes of doom. Tho you can throw a flash bomb to bring rust down.

Thanks! I'll look more into that category later.

I know his shot hitzones were worse than regular Kushala Daora, but I didn't realize they were quite that bad. Went through ~200 pierce shots across all three levels before he finally died. He's just that resistant to physical damage, apparently.

I've got an idea for an elemental set if I ever need to tangle with him again, though. The Battalion Strafer rapid-fires water, poison and paralysis which may be more effective - if I can find openings large enough for those shots to hit.

Arc told me that raw damage was negated often on Rusted Kushala so I may have to pick up another weapon instead of relying on the trusty GS.

The big trouble with Rusty is just how active he is, and that his hind legs are always bounce hits. He almost never holds a stable position until you've gotten him poisoned enough that he's nearly dead. I'd almost advise against a rapid fire build because you might miss the extra shots and be locked into a position as he flitters over you to slap you across the face with his claw.

The Chameleos armor is an absolute must because you ignore the worst part about him, and you get earplugs to ignore his roars in those small moments where he is stationary. Then, bring a poison DB/GS/IG* and keep on him. With DB, you can scoot around the map as fast as it can. With the GS, just taking draw swings, uncharged, in those moments when he poses. The poison is less about damage, more keeping him from turning on to high power and absolutely wrecking you no matter how much defense you have.

*IG can be useful but you have to be very on top of the mounts, making each jump attack count and not just a complete miss each time. It's extremely difficult to get all three pigments off of him, since his body is so small and he moves around so much.

brau

The big trouble with Rusty is just how active he is, and that his hind legs are always bounce hits. He almost never holds a stable position until you've gotten him poisoned enough that he's nearly dead. I'd almost advise against a rapid fire build because you might miss the extra shots and be locked into a position as he flitters over you to slap you across the face with his claw.

The Chameleos armor is an absolute must because you ignore the worst part about him, and you get earplugs to ignore his roars in those small moments where he is stationary. Then, bring a poison DB/GS/IG* and keep on him. With DB, you can scoot around the map as fast as it can. With the GS, just taking draw swings, uncharged, in those moments when he poses. The poison is less about damage, more keeping him from turning on to high power and absolutely wrecking you no matter how much defense you have.

*IG can be useful but you have to be very on top of the mounts, making each jump attack count and not just a complete miss each time. It's extremely difficult to get all three pigments off of him, since his body is so small and he moves around so much.

Poison is good advice.

You can also get a regios armor and steady hand will allow for no bounce. Plus half the sharpness deterioration.

Rawk Hawk

I joked about missing a lot of my shots, but really he isn't that bad to LBG. I did really hit most of my shots, and never really felt in danger of being hit. I got caught by a tornado coming from behind once, which almost killed me, but other than that, plenty of openings to pump in rapid fires.

Think my 3ds is going to spontaniously combust. I finally have all the mats for my Ukalnos/Teostra set, just missing the money. I've been on and off farming these guys since Story of Seasons came out and have otherwise not played this game much. Soon as this is done i can start focusing on finishing my kushala stuff and getting my other misc sets and weapons done.

So! Turns out i missed a couple underscales and randoms are just doing big dog ukanlos. Any takers?

tuffy

I joked about missing a lot of my shots, but really he isn't that bad to LBG. I did really hit most of my shots, and never really felt in danger of being hit. I got caught by a tornado coming from behind once, which almost killed me, but other than that, plenty of openings to pump in rapid fires.
That's good to hear. LBG's mobility should make it a lot easier to keep up with him too. It's pretty easy to whip up a Fleet Feet, Water Atk +3, Bonus Shot set from Sororal parts, Najarala Z parts, and a Torso Up waist. And because winding up in one of those big tornadoes is usually lethal, I can also mix in the Guts skill just in case.

Rawk Hawk

That's good to hear. LBG's mobility should make it a lot easier to keep up with him too. It's pretty easy to whip up a Fleet Feet, Water Atk +3, Bonus Shot set from Sororal parts, Najarala Z parts, and a Torso Up waist. And because winding up in one of those big tornadoes is usually lethal, I can also mix in the Guts skill just in case.

I don't have Bonus Shot, there were a couple side steps I did to avoid a rush at me, so that may be locking you slightly too long, but you are certainly a more seasoned gunner, you might not be in the situations I was in at all anyway.

Regios X is super good! Hell, I'm at the highest level of hunting you can possibly be and still turn to it now and again. It gives you free maxed constitution, steady hand (attacks won't be deflected and lose sharpness at half the rate), bleeding prevention (though this is a Seregios-only mechanic at the moment), and the only downside is you'll swipe your whetstone five times instead of four, so make sure you're safe before sharpening.

It'll give you a ton of slots to work sharpness into, even if you have simple Talismans. The basic jist is that you can get active abilities from Talismans you pick up in the field, and gems you "slot" into your armor and weapons. Look for the little Os under the name of an item to see how many slots you have available. The smithy should have a good section on it if you go into the help menu.

Thanks! I'll shoot for Regios before long.

I just read a thread on Reddit (via Google) bashing Hammers and it made me sad. :/

tuffy

I don't have Bonus Shot, there were a couple side steps I did to avoid a rush at me, so that may be locking you slightly too long, but you are certainly a more seasoned gunner, you might not be in the situations I was in at all anyway.
It's possible to make a similar set without Bonus Shot (and with considerably more defense since I could bring in a blademaster helm) but I'm concerned about not being able to get enough poison and paralysis applications without it. Might have to do a solo test run to see how well it works out.

Can someone explain how to get the new DLC Palico costumes? I've downloaded the new Event Quests but I can't find an explanation on what comes next on CapcpomUnity anywhere.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks! I'll shoot for Regios before long.

I just read a thread on Reddit (via Google) bashing Hammers and it made me sad. :/

Hammers are just different. I main hammer all day. But it's not without it's issues. There are no way to cut tails (only weapon in the game), it's not the best KO weapon anymore, and the verticality of MH4U means Hammer has a MUCH harder time sustaining solid DPS. There are other minor issues that contributed to it's nerf, but it's mostly due to the buffs OTHER weapons received. Hammer has sort of stagnated in design since it's early days.

Is it the best weapon? Nope. Not even close. But it's still damn fun. If I wanted to be S+ tier, I'd main CB or IG like everyone else out there, haha.

Shengar

Two GS user with Flame Fatalis Sword = Dead Ukanlos
That sub 10 Ukanlos is the fastest I've ever achieved

I also keep getting Ukanlos Stone. Are they supposed to be rare?

tuffy

Can someone explain how to get the new DLC Palico costumes? I've downloaded the new Event Quests but I can't find an explanation on what comes next on CapcpomUnity anywhere.
As I recall, there's a high rank event quest for the Mario/Luigo costumes and some G rank ones for the Street Fighter costumes. Completing the event quests gets you reward items which are used to forge the Palico gear.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can the veterans give some advice on how to hone weapons? I play mostly a GS so I was thinking attack since I have to play the waiting game. Defense sounds nice, but I don't know if +60 is worth it...and I have no idea how much life is restored.

Watched a bit of Gaijinhunter's video on honing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ws-blS8yc, but so many options!

I was going to link that video. All your questions are answered in his video I thought.

E: Regarding the defense, the highest Def armor looks to be the Wroth set at 120 per piece (according to the dex). That adds up to 600 def. +60 def is 10% boost in your def, which is pretty substantial I would think. The health and ATK boosts are explained in the video with how they impact you.

Yrael

I've only honed for Life, but it was worth it for me as a Switch-Axer. The amount of health that gets restored depends on how much damage you do (which tends to be a lot for a Great Sword user - for the Level 3 attacks the health restored would be more than a Mega Potion's worth. On the downside, however, you won't be healing as frequently as a GS user compared to a SnS or DB user).

Shengar

What's everyone up to

Some Akantor after getting a sleep.

I've only honed for Life, but it was worth it for me as a Switch-Axer. The amount of health that gets restored depends on how much damage you do (which tends to be a lot for a Great Sword user - for the Level 3 attacks the health restored would be more than a Mega Potion's worth. On the downside, however, you won't be healing as frequently as a GS user compared to a SnS or DB user).

The healing have cooldown.
That being said, I prefer Defense Honing since I'm very suck at timing an evasion.

Can the veterans give some advice on how to hone weapons? I play mostly a GS so I was thinking attack since I have to play the waiting game. Defense sounds nice, but I don't know if +60 is worth it...and I have no idea how much life is restored.

Watched a bit of Gaijinhunter's video on honing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ws-blS8yc, but so many options!

The amount of life seems to be dependent on the strike that triggers it. Personally I'm honing almost everything for defense, because an extra layer of Divine Protection is great. The only exceptions so far are to a few of the SAs that I have, as that damage boost is too good to ignore, and the Cera Cymmetry which I honed for attack. I mostly don't use life as I tend to have enough time to heal when I need to, but that would be personal preference.

The amount of life seems to be dependent on the strike that triggers it. Personally I'm honing almost everything for defense, because an extra layer of Divine Protection is great. The only exceptions so far are to a few of the SAs that I have, as that damage boost is too good to ignore, and the Cera Cymmetry which I honed for attack. I mostly don't use life as I tend to have enough time to heal when I need to, but that would be personal preference.

I certainly agree with what you have said, and it seems the groups I've been in have been doing well for group healing items. I try to never forget to bring lifepowders and dust of life to every fight so that the healing is there just in case.

Like Shengar said, I'm leaning towards defense as my timing tends to suck, and I hate getting combo'ed by monsters (looking at you M. Tigrex!).

Rawk Hawk

I certainly agree with what you have said, and it seems the groups I've been in have been doing well for group healing items. I try to never forget to bring lifepowders and dust of life to every fight so that the healing is there just in case.

Like Shengar said, I'm leaning towards defense as my timing tends to suck, and I hate getting combo'ed by monsters (looking at you M. Tigrex!).

For what it's worth, I enjoy it.

So far I have honed defense on most weapons, attack on only a couple. I go into most fights with a defense weapon, and defense food, then slowly back off as I get better at it. Going to attack food, and then to attack honed weapons.

tuffy

Can the veterans give some advice on how to hone weapons?
I have weapons honed differently depending on what I'll use them for. Like most of the things I use the Livid Griscannon on aren't going to one-shot me, so that's attack honed. But sometimes I take the Furia Sedition to less dangerous hunts (like Kirin) and sometimes to more dangerous ones (like Rajang). So I made two of that weapon and switch off between attack honed and defense honed as needed. And just to see how well it works, I've got a Destiny's Arm with a shield installed and healing honed. The idea is that I can tank hits with it and then recover chip damage by attacking. It's worked pretty well on stuff like Gravios and Deviljho so far.

Hammers are just different. I main hammer all day. But it's not without it's issues. There are no way to cut tails (only weapon in the game), it's not the best KO weapon anymore, and the verticality of MH4U means Hammer has a MUCH harder time sustaining solid DPS. There are other minor issues that contributed to it's nerf, but it's mostly due to the buffs OTHER weapons received. Hammer has sort of stagnated in design since it's early days.

Is it the best weapon? Nope. Not even close. But it's still damn fun. If I wanted to be S+ tier, I'd main CB or IG like everyone else out there, haha.

Right, I never chose the Hammer as a means to be the best player in the game. I like it because it's a blast to play, but I was never under the impression (until now) that it was necessarily lacking in any respect. Is the CB considered a better weapon for KOs? It hasn't been my experience that anyone online makes that happen more than I do, but I also only just made it to G Rank.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I tend to Hone defense on to the majority of my LBG. The additional defense can matter a ton, turning some single shot KOs into attacks you can survive. For something like the Serg LBG though where I still go for attack.

For SnS it depends. If I'm using a status heavy weapon, or a weapon with defense already on it (ie; weapons giving me over 100+ defense because of the stack is great), defense is what I'll go for. But otherwise it's attack. I know a lot of people stick strictly with attack, but defense combined with giving you Divine Protection is really, really strong.

I don't use any of the heavy hitting weapons where health would really benefit. I might give it a shot later with something like Hammer, or Gunlance, just for fun. Seems like Great Sword could benefit from it quite a bit. Gaijin Hunter showed off just how much health a charged GS can restore with it, and it's super impressive. Health might also be something to consider if you're using an armor set with Unscathed. Just to erase that chip damage.

Shengar

I once survived a GQ140 Apex Rajang giant rock throw while not on full health because Divine Protection from my defense honed Vayu Sedition.

I have weapons honed differently depending on what I'll use them for. Like most of the things I use the Livid Griscannon on aren't going to one-shot me, so that's attack honed. But sometimes I take the Furia Sedition to less dangerous hunts (like Kirin) and sometimes to more dangerous ones (like Rajang). So I made two of that weapon and switch off between attack honed and defense honed as needed. And just to see how well it works, I've got a Destiny's Arm with a shield installed and healing honed. The idea is that I can tank hits with it and then recover chip damage by attacking. It's worked pretty well on stuff like Gravios and Deviljho so far.

I tend to Hone defense on to the majority of my LBG. The additional defense can matter a ton, turning some single shot KOs into attacks you can survive. For something like the Serg LBG though where I still go for attack.

For SnS it depends. If I'm using a status heavy weapon, or a weapon with defense already on it, defense is what I'll go for. But otherwise it's attack. I know a lot of people stick strictly with attack, but defense combined with giving you Divine Protection is really, really strong.

I don't use any of the heavy hitting weapons where health would really benefit. I might give it a shot later with something like Hammer, or Gunlance, just for fun. Seems like Great Sword could benefit from it quite a bit. Gaijin Hunter showed off just how much health a charged GS can restore with it, and it's super impressive. Health might also be something to consider if you're using an armor set with Unscathed. Just to erase that chip damage.

Thank you both for your responses. I've been considering gunning and Tuffy makes it look easy. I'll definitely be honing for defense first as the survival rate seems to trump attack (unless you're really good with gunning).

As for being a GS user for a bit, it seems the honing for life thing is a situational matter. I tend to wait for my group to topple the monster and go for the charges there. Run around, draw, and run away again.

Tzmhero

It is always amazing reading about people playing at such a league much higher than my own. I just got the airship! Also? Kinda proud of myself for not dying once on that Gravios... in Gore armor that has HORRIBLE fire resistance.

Tom_Cody

I mostly play offline and with randoms, but I would love some help from GAF with Dalamadur. Randoms keep carting from the death beam.

What is the protocol? Should I just make a room number and post it here? I've tried to do something like this before, but things have always gotten in the way when I've planned too far in advance.

I will be free for a short time after work today at 4pm, and then again for an extended period at around 9pm tonight.

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom