• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

PrankT

Right, I never chose the Hammer as a means to be the best player in the game. I like it because it's a blast to play, but I was never under the impression (until now) that it was necessarily lacking in any respect. Is the CB considered a better weapon for KOs? It hasn't been my experience that anyone online makes that happen more than I do, but I also only just made it to G Rank.
CB KO better than hammer in my experience. Most monsters move their head so much that it's often hard to hit them with the hammer's limited range and movement. Plus, it's rare that a CB user would move to another part of the body, so if you are playing with one just go elsewhere or they will blast you. In addition, getting a KO is mediocre in my eyes. The monsters don't stay down long and there are other more consistent ways of downing a monster (mount, hit legs, body damage).

I mostly play offline and with randoms, but I would love some help from GAF with Dalamadur. Randoms keep carting from the death beam.

What is the protocol? Should I just make a room number and post it here? I've tried to do something like this before, but things have always gotten in the way when I've planned too far in advance.

I will be free for a short time after work today at 4pm, and then again for an extended period at around 9pm tonight.

Thanks in advance!

Just post the gathering hall ID and passcode when you want to play. I usually post mine and wait about 10 minutes for people to show up.

There might be lurkers here that will show up in your room too.

Finally carving a Shagaru mantle this morning felt so good. Too bad that's my only one i'll probably see considering how damn tight he is with those things. Though I think i'll start doing that quest again soon since it has a treasure area now.

Finally carving a Shagaru mantle this morning felt so good. Too bad that's my only one i'll probably see considering how damn tight he is with those things. Though I think i'll start doing that quest again soon since it has a treasure area now.

Congrats, how long have you been after that mantle?

Since I can get honed blade so easily now i'm kinda lost with what type of mix set I should be looking at. What do you guys suggest I look into?

As I recall, there's a high rank event quest for the Mario/Luigo costumes and some G rank ones for the Street Fighter costumes. Completing the event quests gets you reward items which are used to forge the Palico gear.

Just do the missions and you'll get the special trinket to forge the palico armor at the Smithy.

Ah, ok. I noticed I got some tickets for finishing them but I didn't know what to do with them.

Thinking DB or GS.

And is anybody wanting to run a few GQ's to level em up a bit. A mix between Teo, Shaggy and Cham

Room up: 28-9352-9123-0484
Pw: 1111

DB and GS are like opposites. I play dB and by far the most important skill after honed blade is razor sharp. After that it's up to play style. I like hg earplugs, evade +1, and anything that boosts damage or boosts your element/status. Personally I feel like speed sharpening is a waste with those first 2 skills active. I just sharpen between zones.

My play style relies heavily on dash juices, so I am thinking about adding lasting power.

Does anybody have a freedom series chest with shaggy or teo? I don't like the odds on cham since it has to be from beshackled gear for him.

Wolfe

Hammers are just different. I main hammer all day. But it's not without it's issues. There are no way to cut tails (only weapon in the game), it's not the best KO weapon anymore, and the verticality of MH4U means Hammer has a MUCH harder time sustaining solid DPS. There are other minor issues that contributed to it's nerf, but it's mostly due to the buffs OTHER weapons received. Hammer has sort of stagnated in design since it's early days.

Is it the best weapon? Nope. Not even close. But it's still damn fun. If I wanted to be S+ tier, I'd main CB or IG like everyone else out there, haha.

I hear ya, I started 3U with switch axe but not too long after took up hammer and never looked back. For the reasons you listed above is part of why I only ever pick it up occasionally in 4U and even then it seems to only be particular monsters given it's current state (rathian being a good example as a fun one to hammer). Putting aside how much fun I have with CB it's a way better KO weapon and it's able to KO from a distance! The hammer just feels really overshadowed by other weapons at this point.

Right, I never chose the Hammer as a means to be the best player in the game. I like it because it's a blast to play, but I was never under the impression (until now) that it was necessarily lacking in any respect. Is the CB considered a better weapon for KOs? It hasn't been my experience that anyone online makes that happen more than I do, but I also only just made it to G Rank.

I still enjoy playing hammer for the most part but CB really did steal my attention away from it and it's definitely a better KO weap. As I mentioned above not only does it do more KO damage (what other weapon can KO from zero stun damage in one attack?) but it can do it from further away.

In addition, getting a KO is mediocre in my eyes. The monsters don't stay down long and there are other more consistent ways of downing a monster (mount, hit legs, body damage).

IMO that makes it more special, it's tougher to pull off and knocking a crowd control mechanic because it doesn't last long enough is silly, the whole point is that it gives another opening for the team. Mounts vs KOs? Why not both?

Hall ID: 57-3722-6971-6654
Passcode: 9099

We'll be doing an Apex Rajang at the Battlequarters and alternate between people to post quests.

Edit: I posted the wrong ID! Sorry!

jorgejjvr

I'm HR right now. If I wanted to make my first CB and corresponding armor, what should I look at?

I mean, regarding armor, there aren't really any skills you need for the charge blade. I suppose you can look at anything with focus, artillery (if it's a KO phial), or the skills that increase how much KO/Exhaust damage you do (KO phial). Other than that, I would recommend going with whichever blade master skill suits you best and you find to be the most comfortable. Honestly for a long time my charge blade set was as follows:

Critical eye +1
Speed sharpening
Speed gathering
Tremor resistance
Sharpness +1
Weakness exploit
Mind's eye

Regarding what charge blades to make, personally I ran with Elemental ones with Elemental phials when I could, so I ended up with Le Salut (Dragon but KO phial, will replace with Fatalis when it comes out) , Watatsumi (Water), Die Walkure (Thunder) , Tríos Tristesse (Ice), and Dear Rosetta (Fire, to be upgraded).

Otherwise I'd recommend going for power and KO phials, such as Teostra CB, Crimson Fatalis CB, Brachydios CB, the Schwarzschild and so on.

There's even Elemental CB's but with KO phials instead of Elemental ones. Like the Daora Twartoise for ice, the Rathalos CB for fire, Le Salut for dragon, and so on.
I hope I could help!

-Alternis

I feel like getting my Cham quest up to 136 before refocusing on the others since that has the most important part of the dragon x set. At first I wasn't sure since it only drops as a beshackled but knowing this it would be worth it since the armor itself would appear as rare 9-10 right?

Top Bottom