• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I mean, regarding armor, there aren't really any skills you need for the charge blade. I suppose you can look at anything with focus, artillery (if it's a KO phial), or the skills that increase how much KO/Exhaust damage you do (KO phial). Other than that, I would recommend going with whichever blade master skill suits you best and you find to be the most comfortable. Honestly for a long time my charge blade set was as follows:

Critical eye +1
Speed sharpening
Speed gathering
Tremor resistance
Sharpness +1
Weakness exploit
Mind's eye

Regarding what charge blades to make, personally I ran with Elemental ones with Elemental phials when I could, so I ended up with Le Salut (Dragon but KO phial, will replace with Fatalis when it comes out) , Watatsumi (Water), Die Walkure (Thunder) , Tríos Tristesse (Ice), and Dear Rosetta (Fire, to be upgraded).

Otherwise I'd recommend going for power and KO phials, such as Teostra CB, Crimson Fatalis CB, Brachydios CB, the Schwarzschild and so on.

There's even Elemental CB's but with KO phials instead of Elemental ones. Like the Daora Twartoise for ice, the Rathalos CB for fire, Le Salut for dragon, and so on.
I hope I could help!

-Alternis

Nercylla CB is bang for the cuk with white sharpness early on.

Thanks guys. I'll start focusing on this after I get my Lance armor done.

Speaking of which, anyone want to help me kill a few Black Gravios on HR? Easy for you pros. :3

30-5716-7380-5995

I can't say I am a fan of the wystone system. The one you need to simply hit apex monster lasts one minute and takes more than 2 to be refilled. And you are running around like a headless chicken to avoid the monster waiting the wystone to be usable again.

It is such a pain in the arena with multiple apex monsters. Seriously, master's test is not fun. At all.

Edit : need some help for an apex tigrex

57 2047 6606 8335

I don't have the apex tigrex anymore it seems... So I hunt whatever I can.

Leezard

I can't say I am a fan of the wystone system. The one you need to simply hit apex monster lasts one minute and takes more than 2 to be refilled. And you are running around like a headless chicken to avoid the monster waiting the wystone to be usable again.

It is such a pain in the arena with multiple apex monsters. Seriously, master's test is not fun. At all.

57 2047 6606 8335

Use a farcaster and materials to combine more farcasters. Added bonus is that you can sleep and sharpen your weapon.

brau

57 2047 6606 8335

you still playing?

Yrael

Time for me to do the Master's Test. Trying to decide what to take...my bag consists of:

10x Potions
10x Mega Potions
10x Herbs
10x Blue Mushrooms
10x Honey
2x Max Potions
3x Lifepowders
2x Dust of Life
1x Farcaster
10x Bomb Casings
10x Exciteshrooms
3x Mega Demondrug
3x Mega Armorskin
1x Powercharm
1x Powertalon
1x Armorcharm
1x Armortalon
5x Dash Juices
10x Sonic Bombs
10x Smoke Bombs
5x Flash Bombs
20x Whetstones
10x Nulberries
5x Mosswine Jerky

I also have two Level 2 Wystones (Drive and Force).

Tom_Cody

Ugh. My N3DS experienced a hard fall on my bathroom last night. It landed so violently that I was honestly worried that the system (with my MH4U save) was going to be totally lost. I was so shaken that I felt like I had been in a car accident, lol.

Ultimately the system survived, but the R button is dead. Luckily (?) it is a New 3DS, so I can use ZR in its place. I did a bit of hunting last night after this happened just to make sure that all was well with the system and I'm pretty positive that the R button is the only loss.

I think I'm going to try to limp on with this for the time being as I think I can adjust to playing MH4U like this. In the meantime I will talk with Nintendo's tech help and see what my options are.

brau

Ugh. My N3DS experienced a hard fall on my bathroom last night. It landed so violently that I was honestly worried that the system (with my MH4U save) was going to be totally lost. I was so shaken that I felt like I had been in a car accident, lol.

Ultimately the system survived, but the R button is dead. Luckily (?) it is a New 3DS, so I can use ZR in its place. I did a bit of hunting last night after this happened just to make sure that all was well with the system and I'm pretty positive that the R button is the only loss.

I think I'm going to try to limp on with this for the time being as I think I can adjust to playing MH4U like this. In the meantime I will talk with Nintendo's tech help and see what my options are.

You can prbly take it back if you got the insurance thing. Anything goes wrong with my 3DS, i can take it back and they will exchange it for a brand new one, and i have everything on my SD card. Just have to transfer all the profile stuff on to the new 3DS.

Tom_Cody

You can prbly take it back if you got the insurance thing. Anything goes wrong with my 3DS, i can take it back and they will exchange it for a brand new one, and i have everything on my SD card. Just have to transfer all the profile stuff on to the new 3DS.
Thanks for the response.

What are you referring to? Do you have a store warranty (from where you bought) it or is there some sort of limited warranty from Nintendo?

brau

Thanks for the response.

What are you referring to? Do you have a store warranty (from where you bought) it or is there some sort of limited warranty from Nintendo?

I am pretty sure Nintendo has a warranty on the device. But when i got it from gamestop i bought a 40 year warranty for 2 years that they will exchange it for a new one if anything happens, even if i dropped it or spilled soda or i did something to it. I think its worth it, since its a device that i carry around and is more prone to be in an accident.

This doesn't mean i don't take care of my device. But i know that if anything happens, i can just get a brand new one, no questions asked.

Tom_Cody

I am pretty sure Nintendo has a warranty on the device. But when i got it from gamestop i bought a 40 year warranty for 2 years that they will exchange it for a new one if anything happens, even if i dropped it or spilled soda or i did something to it. I think its worth it, since its a device that i carry around and is more prone to be in an accident.

This doesn't mean i don't take care of my device. But i know that if anything happens, i can just get a brand new one, no questions asked.
Man, I really wish I had bought that. I have had various small and large problems with portable gaming systems over the years. I generally considered store warranties for electronic devices to be rip-offs, but I might have to consider this the next time around.

I guess I'll just have to see what Nintendo can do for me.

Tom_Cody

Totally separate topic:

Question: How viable are status effect Switch Axes?

To anyone who has been following my progression, I am primarily an archer but I had long wanted to take on a Blademaster weapon and ended up deciding on the Switch Axe.

Based on GAF's advice, I decided to keep things simple and stick with a high raw / power-phial type to start with. I just crossed over into G-Rank, so I am now using this simple and easy-to-craft Axe:
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe/generals-strongaxe

Now that I've done that, I am now left to consider my next target. Given the attributes of the sword mode, I thought it would be worth looking at one with element/status, and Para seems like the most useful to me. Here are the two I have in mind:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe/vermilion-bloodaxe
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe/paracrux-axe

1) Am I wrong for thinking in this direction? Should I just stick to Raw/Power?

2) If it is worth looking at Status/Element, any advice along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Rawk Hawk

Totally separate topic:

Question: How viable are status effect Switch Axes?

To anyone who has been following my progression, I am primarily an archer but I had long wanted to take on a Blademaster weapon and ended up deciding on the Switch Axe.

Based on GAF's advice, I decided to keep things simple and stick with a high raw / power-phial type to start with. I just crossed over into G-Rank, so I am now using this simple and easy-to-craft Axe:
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe/generals-strongaxe

Now that I've done that, I am now left to consider my next target. Given the attributes of the sword mode, I thought it would be worth looking at one with element/status, and Para seems like the most useful to me. Here are the two I have in mind:

2) If it is worth looking at Status/Element, any advice along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Status Axe's are good, I'd suggest Chameleos Axe for Poison (Waxglare Wand), Tigerstripe Zam Axe for Para (Zamtreacherous Maw), both easily some of the best axes you can have.

Power phials are generally picked because it's a 20% increase in damage, which sometimes ends up being more useful in the hunt because killing stuff quicker is always nice. Elemental phials are also good, as they increase the damage of the element by 25%. If you know where to target a monster, you can do absurd damage to their weak points by hitting them with their elemental weakness.

I believe Status/Dragon phials only awaken the damage in the sword mode, they don't actually boost it.

So of those two, the Vermellion Bloodaxe is going to work out better for you. It doesn't need to be awakened to inflict its paralysis, and its phial will increase the effectiveness of your paralysis. Rawk is right though, if you want to paralyze something, work towards Zamtreacherous.

I personally am a giggling fanboy for the Daora's Janah because it's a sick chrome scythe and does ice damage.

Tom_Cody

Status Axe's are good, I'd suggest Chameleos Axe for Poison (Waxglare Wand), Tigerstripe Zam Axe for Para (Zamtreacherous Maw), both easily some of the best axes you can have.
Good good.

So, you think I'm better off with this one:
http://kiranico.com/index.php/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe/allagi-tigermaw

Versus either of these?

Could you explain your thought porcess further? I'm still new to the weapon (and Blademaster in general) so I don't know all of the nuances to consider.

Power phials are generally picked because it's a 20% increase in damage, which sometimes ends up being more useful in the hunt because killing stuff quicker is always nice. Elemental phials are also good, as they increase the damage of the element by 25%. If you know where to target a monster, you can do absurd damage to their weak points by hitting them with their elemental weakness.

I believe Status/Dragon phials only awaken the damage in the sword mode, they don't actually boost it.

So of those two, the Vermellion Bloodaxe is going to work out better for you. It doesn't need to be awakened to inflict its paralysis, and its phial will increase the effectiveness of your paralysis.
To explain more broadly, I'm trying to keep things simple since I kind of fell down a rabbit hole trying to craft every bow. Element is always nice if you can pair it with the right monster, but I want to stick with only a few Axes for now. Raw/power was an easy first choice, now I am trying to decide on a second. Para seems like a good bet, or maybe blast. But I'm focusing on para for now since the Switch Axe has so many high-DPS options for immobilized monsters.

So, if I'm understanding your response, Axes with element requiring awaken only get that element when in Sword mode. Whereas non-dormant element/status will work on either sword or axe?

To explain more broadly, I'm trying to keep things simple since I kind of fell down a rabbit hole trying to craft every bow. Element is always nice if you can pair it with the right monster, but I want to stick with only a few Axes for now. Raw/power was an easy first choice, now I am trying to decide on a second. Para seems like a good bet, or maybe blast. But I'm focusing on para for now since the Switch Axe has so many high-DPS options for immobilized monsters.

So, if I'm understanding your response, Axes with element requiring awaken only get that element when in Sword mode. Whereas non-dormant element/status will work on either sword or axe?

Alright, to make it simple, you want to get a Power phial if possible. That way it doesn't matter what you're swinging at, you're doing enhanced damage. Correct to your question; if it has that open circle (like on the Paracrux), that means it has to be either awakened by armor skill, OR it has to be in Sword mode. You wouldn't get it in axe mode.

Rawk Hawk

Good good.

So, you think I'm better off with this one:
http://kiranico.com/index.php/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe/allagi-tigermaw

Versus either of these?

Could you explain your thought porcess further? I'm still new to the weapon (and Blademaster in general) so I don't know all of the nuances to consider.

Well it kind of depends on your hunting style to some extent. The T Zam Axe is going to do more damage, but para less often. The Naja one is the only other I'd consider, the Vermilion capping attack at 1188 is kind of low without any further upgrades, and I'm generally someone who would rather have a rare 8-9 of something that can still be upgraded. With Naja you may get more para's but the base axe damage is lower, and certainly with power phail on T Zam, the sword mode is significantly less.

Looking at final forms, Zam has para 240, Naja has para of 320. Without doing major math, the basic idea is you need to do 1-2 more paralyzes with Naja to make up for the attack damage lost. I just don't think that's going to happen often.

Also like glitch just pointed out, your Naja hits must be with sword mode, where T Zam will be even in axe mode. I grabbed Brach's numbers real fast. He needs 200 para for the first (100 more per para after that). For Zam that's 200/24 or 9 hits (9 status hits, which is only a 1/3 chance to proc), for Naja axe it would be 200/32 or 7 sword mode hits.

Shengar

If you really want to keep it simple, having less weapon as possible, then go with Regios Armor set with Regios SA. But since you're still in HR, then an armor set with Razor Sharp skill is more preferable since the white sharpness will go down pretty fast without it (and Mind's Eye skill being moot with SA). If you have Constitution gem, try to gem in at least Constitution+1 to make the self healing sharpness of Regios SA much better and less of a hassle.

YESSSS...finally made my first Rare 10 weapon! The Ceadeus charge blade! The LEDG hunting took a while.

Time to work on the other elements!

Tom_Cody

Alright, to make it simple, you want to get a Power phial if possible. That way it doesn't matter what you're swinging at, you're doing enhanced damage. Correct to your question; if it has that open circle (like on the Paracrux), that means it has to be either awakened by armor skill, OR it has to be in Sword mode. You wouldn't get it in axe mode.

Well it kind of depends on your hunting style to some extent. The T Zam Axe is going to do more damage, but para less often. The Naja one is the only other I'd consider, the Vermilion capping attack at 1188 is kind of low without any further upgrades, and I'm generally someone who would rather have a rare 8-9 of something that can still be upgraded. With Naja you may get more para's but the base axe damage is lower, and certainly with power phail on T Zam, the sword mode is significantly less.

Looking at final forms, Zam has para 240, Naja has para of 320. Without doing major math, the basic idea is you need to do 1-2 more paralyzes with Naja to make up for the attack damage lost. I just don't think that's going to happen often.

Also like glitch just pointed out, your Naja hits must be with sword mode, where T Zam will be even in axe mode. I grabbed Brach's numbers real fast. He needs 200 para for the first (100 more per para after that). For Zam that's 200/24 or 9 hits (9 status hits, which is only a 1/3 chance to proc), for Naja axe it would be 200/32 or 7 sword mode hits.

If you really want to keep it simple, having less weapon as possible, then go with Regios Armor set with Regios SA. But since you're still in HR, then an armor set with Razor Sharp skill is more preferable since the white sharpness will go down pretty fast without it (and Mind's Eye skill being moot with SA). If you have Constitution gem, try to gem in at least Constitution+1 to make the self healing sharpness of Regios SA much better and less of a hassle.
All of this has been very helpful guys, thanks.

To clarify even further, beyond a primary Raw/Power axe, my interest in the para-axe mostly has to do with multiplayer. It's always nice to contribute to a hunt beyond simple DPS. Immobilizing a monster in order to allow the entire party to whale away is always a great feeling.

Based on these suggestions, it looks like I should aim for T.Zamtrios as that will be more viable as I march towards the endgame. And it looks like it will be worth going towards the Seregios line as well.

Really? I always thought Kushala was the easiest for me at least. Once I learn how long 100 seconds is though, Teostra may become easier. Just you know, counting.. it's hard.

If Teostra takes to the air and no one is on it, you fucking run. You don't even need to worry about the timing so much as just paying attention to its behavior. I just find it much easier to break with my Cadeus weapon than working with Kushala's jumping and flying.

All of this has been very helpful guys, thanks.

To clarify even further, beyond a primary Raw/Power axe, my interest in the para-axe mostly has to do with multiplayer. It's always nice to contribute to a hunt beyond simple DPS. Immobilizing a monster in order to allow the entire party to whale away is always a great feeling.

Based on these suggestions, it looks like I should aim for T.Zamtrios as that will be more viable as I march towards the endgame. And it looks like it will be worth going towards the Seregios line as well.

Correct, if you want to stick with paralysis and a good raw damage. But there are other blades to work with that are good. The Brachy line doesn't require the Immortal Reactor that most of the final Brachy weapons do, just some (relatively common) Brach Pallium. Being the parts breaker or "interrupter" (as blast often causes the monster to recoil) can be a good contribution as well. The Chameleos line poisons easily, but since you're just starting G-Rank that might be a bit out of the way for you.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Damnit. Game cartridge came out in my pocket during an expedition after I killed 4 monsters. :|

I really should have gone digital.

Damnit. Game cartridge came out in my pocket during an expedition after I killed 4 monsters. :|

I really should have gone digital.
My system powered off during an expedition on my 4th monster, so I feel you. On the bright side it saves the expedition monsters and layout so you can go get it back. Hunted my first G-rank Deviljho that way, thank you based Lagi S.

Top Bottom