• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

DooD1234

Okay so I decided to play online after a long break, it seems the only thing people are looking to do at G3 these day are trying to get Gog(something) down and I have no idea what I'm doing and so is everyone else. Any tips and video guide I can look into?

PrankT

Okay so I decided to play online after a long break, it seems the only thing people are looking to do at G3 these day are trying to get Gog(something) down and I have no idea what I'm doing and so is everyone else. Any tips and video guide I can look into?
Stay underneath him, hit his legs, tail, arms, chest (you'll be underneath him the majority of the fight). Watch out for tar, his chest slam, and the tail and arm swipes. Use restraints to bring him down or pull him from the air if he's flying. If he does fly, climb the rope/wall and run away until he goes back onto the ground. Once he's on the ground repeat, but watch for exploding tar. Bring lifepowders.

jorgejjvr

Honestly I have never experienced the bad Rajang hitboxes that everyone goes on about. Truthfully I find it easy due to his lack of moves. Therefore, when I hunt him, it is all about probability. For example, if he jumps back, my mind instinctively knows that the only things capable of hurting me is his Blanka ball, his Lazer, or him running at me. I don't know, I just always think of what he might do next and I generally have good luck with predicting it. Sure, I still die sometimes because of his speed and strength (usually because I overestimate the extent to which all my three divine blessings will work), but I can safely say I can minimize casualties, and he is now quite easy.

-Alternis

deim0s

Stay underneath him, hit his legs, tail, arms, chest (you'll be underneath him the majority of the fight). Watch out for tar, his chest slam, and the tail and arm swipes. Use restraints to bring him down or pull him from the air if he's flying. If he does fly, climb the rope/wall and run away until he goes back onto the ground. Once he's on the ground repeat, but watch for exploding tar. Bring lifepowders.

Don't forget to use the Dragonator right at the start and when it's available. Pelt him with ballistas shots, cannons, and of course the Demolisher. Will carve a few hundred points of damage from him thus making the fight shorter.

There's a dragonator at his back, it'll fall down after some damage - use it.

Honestly I have never experienced the bad Rajang hitboxes that everyone goes on about. Truthfully I find it easy due to his lack of moves. Therefore, when I hunt him, it is all about probability. For example, if he jumps back, my mind instinctively knows that the only things capable of hurting me is his Blanka ball, his Lazer, or him running at me. I don't know, I just always think of what he might do next and I generally have good luck with predicting it. Sure, I still die sometimes because of his speed and strength (usually because I overestimate the extent to which all my three divine blessings will work), but I can safely say I can minimize casualties, and he is now quite easy.

-Alternis

The only hitbox problem I could think of is at his fists when punch-charging, you'd think you're in the clear but it'll still catch you. So basically just minimize the time spent at the front.

-Alternis

I'll have to work on Rajang with you sometime down the road. I'm mainly aiming for his horns.

Shengar

I don't if this is a bug or intentional, but Rajang two hand slams actually registered two hit upon landing: first the damage, then the tremor. Found this when I'm trying to counter it. Not really big deal but it can potentially kill you if Rajang decided to follow it up with deadly attack.

Rawk Hawk

Speaking of Rajang, Rajang double carted me last night, first was me just thinking I was okay at 70% and happen to catch a hit, then standing up a second which killed me. The second death though was the best, I got knocked over by his bouncy hoppy charge, delayed waking up while I spun the camera around to see what was happening. Delay wake up time ran out and my character started standing up just as the entire world was flying my way.

Did try out gunlance for the first time last night, pretty fun, not great at getting those charged shots to go and don't think I tripped people too often. Actually as for tripping, I kept tripping Arc and Asra on Shah Dala's back with my switch axe, kept trying to position myself in a way to get multiple people up there hitting that spike or whatever, but it gets cramped.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How does one go about making money? I spent a LOT yesterday upgrading and crafting, and I now have a whole 7k z left to my name.

tuffy

How does one go about making money? I spent a LOT yesterday upgrading and crafting, and I now have a whole 7k z left to my name.
I start by selling excess ores, like Eltalites and Meldspars. Don't think I'll need more than 99 of those and they'll be easy enough to mine if I need more. Then I sell excess monster parts. I'm never going to need more than 99 Gravios Carapaces and other common things, so I'll sell those too. Rusted weapons from Rustshards and Ancient Shards also sell for quite a bit; I'm never going to need more than 1 God's Isle after all. If that's still not enough, parts from Akantor sell for a lot so I'll just farm him and sell all the rewards.

Shengar

I start by selling excess ores, like Eltalites and Meldspars. Don't think I'll need more than 99 of those and they'll be easy enough to mine if I need more. Then I sell excess monster parts. I'm never going to need more than 99 Gravios Carapaces and other common things, so I'll sell those too. Rusted weapons from Rustshards and Ancient Shards also sell for quite a bit; I'm never going to need more than 1 God's Isle after all. If that's still not enough, parts from Akantor sell for a lot so I'll just farm him and sell all the rewards.

I crafted too many weapon and armor that I'm began to run out of material to sell :lol
These Elder Dragons armors sure are expensive. Not to mention my equipment register already hit its max and I can't register more set for convenience D:

-Alternis

I'm just saying I am done with Apex Rajang. I know his attacks and patterns fairly well, but especially against Apex, the hunt isn't fun. It's like how solo Brachydios felt except with worse music.

tuffy

I crafted too many weapon and armor that I'm began to run out of material to sell :lol
These Elder Dragons armors sure are expensive. Not to mention my equipment register already hit its max and I can't register more set for convenience D:
And I thought my 3+ pages of saved sets was bad! But a lack of funds is one of the big reasons I stopped making whole armor sets early on in G rank. I'd use Athena's Armor Set Search to see if I could get the skills I wanted by mixing in an arm piece here or a head piece there (and without looking like a total clown suit). Throwing a bunch of armor spheres into a piece gets very expensive, very fast.

It feels like the amount of cash from quest rewards isn't what it used to be so my cash reserves have shrunk down to almost nothing on several occasions.

Wolfe

Hell I go through and sell any monster part over 20 and I never run into issues with being short crafting materials. Anything I'm short on is typically a much smaller stack than 20 to begin with :p

Usually pull out a few million Z going through my box like that every so often.

Shengar

And I thought my 3+ pages of saved sets was bad! But a lack of funds is one of the big reasons I stopped making whole armor sets early on in G rank. I'd use Athena's Armor Set Search to see if I could get the skills I wanted by mixing in an arm piece here or a head piece there (and without looking like a total clown suit). Throwing a bunch of armor spheres into a piece gets very expensive, very fast.

It feels like the amount of cash from quest rewards isn't what it used to be so my cash reserves have shrunk down to almost nothing on several occasions.
Yeah those armor spheres upgrading is a money sink. Now i'm kinda glad that I'm running out of armor sphere so I can farm for it and money both at the same time lol
What are people's favorite mounting phrases? Maybe not yours, just good ones you've seen online.

I haven't seen it myself, just read it from someone else here and it was "Brokeback Mounting"

Rawk Hawk

What are people's favorite mounting phrases? Maybe not yours, just good ones you've seen online.

Mine is "Regulators, mount up!"

And I'd be completely lying if I said I don't continue to sing parts of the song while mounting.. or right now.. it was a clear black night, a clear white moon, Warren G was on the streets.. nevermind.

Edit: Chords, strings, we brings, melody..

Quadraxis

So i just made a metroid set, just for funsies, but the skills aren't all that good. Wellness is nice though for chameleos and monsters like that. How did u guys spice up this armor and made it a bit better? And what waists should i use that don't show at all when wearing the armor? (charge blade main btw). It's a shame the waists dont get covered up :(

Mine is "Regulators, mount up!"

And I'd be completely lying if I said I don't continue to sing parts of the song while mounting.. or right now.. it was a clear black night, a clear white moon, Warren G was on the streets.. nevermind.

Edit: Chords, strings, we brings, melody..

Bull, you know you wanted to say: "Keoni why u no help me!?"

Rawk Hawk

I don't get the reference. >.>

Warren G and Nate Dogg had a rap song in the 90's called Regulators. While I don't listen to a lot of rap anymore, the 80's and 90's rap is still something that holds a special place in my heart.

Bull, you know you wanted to say: "Keoni why u no help me!?"

Haha, that's my pinned shout out I think. I should set it up for stunned and mud/snow as well. You never help me!

Wolfe

So i just made a metroid set, just for funsies, but the skills aren't all that good. Wellness is nice though for chameleos and monsters like that. How did u guys spice up this armor and made it a bit better? And what waists should i use that don't show at all when wearing the armor? (charge blade main btw). It's a shame the waists dont get covered up :(

I threw sharpness +1 and a couple 5 slot skills on mine (divine blessing + sheep sharpening) as a CB set. People don't give wellness the respect it deserves, aside from specific instances where poison/sleep/para is an issue, not being able to be stunned is great. It's a nice utility armor that I use regularly for Cham and it's definitely nice vs the Raths as they always manage to stun and poison me on a regular basis when I'm playing at my normal level lol.

As for waist I just threw on Chakra waist as you can't see it and the 3 sockets are nice. Any other belt aside from GX Hunter and you're gonna be playing fill the slots to match whatever skill it has you're trying to get.

Sure they do. Use Chakra waist!

Edit: Bah, Wolfe beat me!

Rawk Hawk

By the way, who is Arc in game? they jump in our rooms, and I enjoy harassing them, but never know who it is here to continue my banter.

I like how Arc set up a bomb on the way to area 2 of battlefield because they knew I was trying to kick them and wanted me to blow myself backwards. lol

Just watched the Gaijin Hunter video on CB. My brain melted a little bit. :|

Was it a lot to take in? Everyone needs to start somewhere. I tried the training mission in gunning against a Jaggi last night. Mad respect for gunners out there, holy hell that's a lot of micromanagement.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
That's normal at first, but it's really not that hard after some practice.

My advice would be to watch the video once, then try a hunt or two with it.
Rewatch the vid after that and then another couple of hunts.
Repeat as much as needed.

Don't try to go for guard points from the get-go.

spiritfox

Just do a few quests with it and it'll become second nature. Guard points are harder but you can just evade or use R block if you are not confident. The main thing to remember is to keep you shield charged. X+A from a shield bash is the fastest.

I actually find CB to be one of the most straightforward and least complicated weapons in the game. It's kind of shocking that people find it to be confusing.

Wolfe

Just go out and practice. For guard points only ever worry about trying X+R at the same time. It's the only GP you'll consistently use on purpose.

Good monster to practice it on is Tigrex. Just let him run around and every charge/roar practice GP. X+R, X+R, X+R.

Do whichever way you're most comfortable with or works best for you of course.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's not that the base mechanics are tough, it's that there are so many little things you can do to vastly improve your damage output. Lots of options and things to remember. Compared to Hammer, it's a LOT more to think about. :p

Wolfe

Hell compared to Hammer any of the weapons can seem deep now, really feels like in MH4 it's definitely got the shortest straw.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hell compared to Hammer any of the weapons can seem deep now, really feels like in MH4 it's definitely got the shortest straw.

Yeah, Hammer is arguably the easiest weapon to learn. Positioning is the only real "skill" associated with it. Managed to take down a HR Nerscylla in just under 30 seconds due to perfect (read: lucky) positioning and dodging last night. It was zen like. But picking up something like CB, SA, or IG after Hammer and Lance maining...It's rough.

Shengar

On the subject of this, what's that bomb thing that gives him a bit of pink flesh as a blight icon? I've seen a ton of JP players doing this and I'm ultra confused by what it is.

Felyne bomb. It supposed to act as substitute buff indicator for Might Seed since if you eat for attack bonus, you can't know when the duration of your Might Seed buff ends.

Shengar

So he's he just blocking some of the hits? I though guarding with anything other than lance wasn't unreliable.

It's not just a block, it's a GP and not some hits (he only got hit 3-4 times in the whole video). GP have counter attack properties, as you can see around 5-6 minutes mark where the Teostra charge attack was GP'd by him and then flinched. I don't play CB but those are some hotshit timing he got right there.

spiritfox

It's not just a block, it's a GP and not some hits (he only got hit 3-4 times in the whole video). GP have counter attack properties, as you can see around 5-6 minutes mark where the Teostra charge attack was GP'd by him and then flinched. I don't play CB but those are some hotshit timing he got right there.

He does a normal block for some of the breath attacks, I think because the recovery time from a GP means that he'll be hit by the return sweep.

That got damn Chameleos stole from me in order: lifepowder, max potion, herbal med, potion x2, and i'm pretty sure he stole my wallet too >.>
re-opening now since i had to close it real quick.

double edit: nvm, i'll try this later not an hour before work xD.

Beats

are there any good gunlance solo hunt videos? I kinda want to see what people are capable of doing with the weapon.

Top Bottom