• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

It's all good, got you in for a quest at least. Though it sucks that everybody DC'd one at a time. Guess it's the games way of saying it's time to sleep.

co1onel

So I've been using the armor skill searcher to find a set that I want to make, and finally squeezed in what seems like a crazy amount of skills...

...on a set called Star Knight.

Doing a little research it seems a lot of people want this set, it was exclusive to Universal Studios Japan. Who knows if and when it will be released here.

It does look like for a breif period people were able to unlock the quest and can host it for others. I don't consider bypassing Capcoms intentional content trickling cheating. So now I'm desperately looking for people that can host the quest, but all I see online are private communities or people that want crazy awesome guild quests as a reward.

Should I just give up on it?

Just let me know when you're on and I can help you get it

Yrael

That sinking feeling when you see a monster start to turn towards a member of the group with barely a sliver of health - and you've run out of Lifepowders.

d4b2d0c2813000f2242d9aba12e43f62.jpg

I think I might switch up my armour again. With Evasion +3, there's not really much of a need for HG Earplugs, since it's easy to dodge straight through a roar. I think I'll try to aim for Challenger +2 to replace it (at this stage of the game I may as well...don't have any more offline quests to complete, and I'm just doing G rank quests to unlock scrolls anyway).

Shengar

I can't decide whether I should use my Immortal Reactor for Lightbreak Press or go for the LS instead.

EDIT: It's just one hunt, but thanks for coming Yrael!

I can't decide whether I should use my Immortal Reactor for Lightbreak Press or go for the LS instead.

34-3727-2104-8674

Ho snap, I was doing shaggy with randoms (guess what? We got rekt) and my kids just woke up from their nap... I won't be able to hunt anything until this evening... Sorry...

Messing around with the lance, I must say it's quite fun. Best skills to have besides guard?!

Guard Up is useful if you're not evade lancing, Constitution lowers stamina drain on your blocks, and Quick Sheath can be great too if you're in a large area since your mobility is limited with the weapon out. If evade lancing, you absolutely need Evade Extender or Evade+3 (it's sometimes hard to get both). Evade Extender is my preferred choice because you can cover so much more distance.

Messing around with the lance, I must say it's quite fun. Best skills to have besides guard?!

Guard boost if you want to be able to block even things that are normally unblockable. Evade is godlike because of the way the animation works on lance, but if you already have guard+1 or +2, evade is kinda overkill.

upandaway

I just can't find any decent set with Lance that has either Evade +3 or Guard +2. If I choose Evade/S+1 or Guard/S+1 I get 5 billion hits, anything else I add and it all goes to hell.

I'm settling for full Nargacuga X and it's so painful to make. I need to carry out a Zinogre genocide.

Pila

Evade lancing looks awesome on yt videos but I think I'm gonna try it later, after some training with the thing. Maybe stamina is my first priority, blocking is consuming. Thanks for your reply people.

I've always been a gunlance kid but I must say the vanilla model has its moments ^^ I must say that I love being able to jump on monsters anytime, countering attacks is nice too.

I just can't find any decent set with Lance that has either Evade +3 or Guard +2. If I choose Evade/S+1 or Guard/S+1 I get 5 billion hits, anything else I add and it all goes to hell.

I'm settling for full Nargacuga X and it's so painful to make. I need to carry out a Zinogre genocide.

New set:

Waxglare Wand
Selene Helm X
Kushala Cista X
Nargacuga Braces X
Kushala Cocoon X
Selene Greaves X

Giving:
Evasion +3
HG Earplugs
Sharpness +1
Evade Extender
Defence: 731
Attack: 1458 (with 300 poison)

(Or with powercharm + power talon + armorcharm + armor talon:
Defence: 761
Attack: 1539 (with 300 poison))

The above set is perfect for evade lancing, though earplugs are kinda superfluous in that case.

Edit: Also, obviously you'd need to take a different weapon and its slots into account.

Shengar

I thought that Empress X set is godly because you can easily gem in Guard+2 and Guard Up while having another very useful offensive skill. But afeter numerous occasion, I always feel that full guard lancing worsening my performance. I always found myself locked in one spot since the recovery took so long that monster's attack would likely to follow up before I can do anything. So I came back to my old lancing style: using guard as emergency mean of protection, and relying more on unsheathing with Quick Sheath for mobility (I just can't backhopping as a mean of traverse smh). Still guard lancing is viable, but against slower monster like Gravios or Shah Dalamadur. You can't just stick around in one place against more agile one like Brachy.

Also why the hell they make Lightbreak Press obviously a worse weapon objectively than Hellruin Omen beside the sharpness? Capcom, better balancing pls

Kushala should be good for Evade Lancing... if its not for the Focus skill. If I used it, unused skill will bug me to no end.
Also I can help with Zinogre. An extra Skymerald would be nice.

Also why the hell they make Lightbreak Press obviously a worse weapon objectively than Hellruin Omen beside the sharpness? Capcom, better balancing pls

I like that Lightbreak better for solo runs, especially if I'm using a set that doesn't have Sharpness+1 on it. Given how much you attack with IG, you're hitting blue pretty quickly with Hellruin if you're not careful.

Yrael

Shengar said:
EDIT: It's just one hunt, but thanks for coming Yrael!

Welcome! :)

The above set is perfect for evade lancing, though earplugs are kinda superfluous in that case.

Edit: Also, obviously you'd need to take a different weapon and its slots into account.

A set that I'm thinking of aiming for (with a +6 Evade Distance OOO talisman) that would also be good for evade lancing is the following:

Gore Helm X
Kushala Cista X
Star Knight Vambraces
Grand God's Peer Belt
Nargacuga Greaves X

With the right decorations this gives:

- Evasion +3
- Challenger +2
- Sharpness +1
- Evade Extender

It does require a weapon with 3 slots though, as well as that charm in particular.
I'm also not that keen on how it looks TBH. >_>
However, there are numerous variations with different talismans that yield the same set of skills.

Shengar

I like that Lightbreak better for solo runs, especially if I'm using a set that doesn't have Sharpness+1 on it. Given how much you attack with IG, you're hitting blue pretty quickly with Hellruin if you're not careful.

Well, with Handicraft+7 charm, I can gem in Sharpness+1 as long as the armor set have at least one triple gem socket. I'm planning to use it with my Brachydium set, which will make a matching pair with Lightbreak Press, but Hellruin Omen is much better weapon overall. It's either Immortal Reactor or Large Elder Dragon Gem, a very difficult choice.

Well, with Handicraft+7 charm, I can gem in Sharpness+1 as long as the armor set have at least one triple gem socket. I'm planning to use it with my Brachydium set, which will make a matching pair with Lightbreak Press, but Hellruin Omen is much better weapon overall. It's either Immortal Reactor or Large Elder Dragon Gem, a very difficult choice.

Wow, that's nice. Best I have is a handicraft+3 charm (with constitution+4 and one or two slots, I don't remember).

Welcome! :)

A set that I'm thinking of aiming for (with a +6 Evade Distance OOO talisman) that would also be good for evade lancing is the following:

Gore Helm X
Kushala Cista X
Star Knight Vambraces
Grand God's Peer Belt
Nargacuga Greaves X

With the right decorations this gives:

- Evasion +3
- Challenger +2
- Sharpness +1
- Evade Extender

It does require a weapon with 3 slots though, as well as that charm in particular.
I'm also not that keen on how it looks TBH. >_>
However, there are numerous variations with different talismans that yield the same set of skills.

Honestly, I don't put much stock in evade extender if I have even Evade+1. I'd rather backhop through everything (evade+1 lets you safely backhop directly through Jho's breath, for example) than away.

Could probably get a much better looking set with just:

Evade+3
Challenger+2
Sharpness+1
Possibly something else.

Wow, that's nice. Best I have is a handicraft+3 charm (with constitution+4 and one or two slots, I don't remember).

Yeah. Sheng has a godlike Handicraft charm and he still begs for my

+9 Expert/+5 guard up with 3 slots charm.

Side note: Just looked through my charms and I have a +7 Guard/+5 Evade 3 slots. Wish that was guard up instead.

Shengar

Honestly, I don't put much stock in evade extender if I have even Evade+1. I'd rather backhop through everything (evade+1 lets you safely backhop directly through Jho's breath, for example) than away.

Could probably get a much better looking set with just:

Evade+3
Challenger+2
Sharpness+1
Possibly something else.

Evade Extender is good for moving around with backhopping, only if your stamina and skill allows it that is.

upandaway

Kushala should be good for Evade Lancing... if its not for the Focus skill. If I used it, unused skill will bug me to no end.
Also I can help with Zinogre. An extra Skymerald would be nice.
Oh I forgot to say I'm only in the middle of G2. Still in G2 I already have amazing options for all my other weapons and Lance is getting the shaft, if I allow G3 on athena it jumps to like 3000 hits, back to G2 and I get 24 (most of them with that ugly Monodevil head). It's really ridiculous.

About Zinogre I'll let you know if I get the time this week

Shengar

e.

Yeah. Sheng has a godlike Handicraft charm and he still begs for my

+9 Expert/+5 guard up with 3 slots charm.

Side note: Just looked through my charms and I have a +7 Guard/+5 Evade 3 slots. Wish that was guard up instead.
So it seems that all guard/evade charms were hoarded by you. It would make a great build for Regios Lance you know D:

Related on guard up charms, I have a Stalwart+4 Guard Up+5 charm, which is as redundant as it can get

Anyone up for hunts in a bit later? Say 20-30 minutes. Mainly working towards the next aged text, but will happily do Ukanlos or anything in the upper G-rank.

Anyone up for hunts in a bit later? Say 20-30 minutes. Mainly working towards the next aged text, but will happily do Ukanlos or anything in the upper G-rank.

Yep, I'll join in. Won't dare host any more. =P

Helruin glaive + razor sharp + edge master = GG

I'm slowly building the artifact armor to get there. If I use my Skull Visage I can get a bunch of those double skills easily, and then it's just figuring out what to do with the arms, legs, and waist.

What relics have you been going after?

At the moment I'm just going after anything that's at least a +5 to one of the dual skills. I don't really know what I'm doing tbh, picking things that have a base armor of at least 85 or so. It's weird that the relic stuff doesn't have skill points if it doesn't have the locked in charms, it kinda feels like those three empty slots are useless.

Stalwart supposed to have Guard Up included though, unless that's what you mean
I remember that I also have another redundant charm but it seems that I can't find it >__>

That's easily achievable for me once White Fatalis hit
I think a few mixes are going to look better with Fatalis parts vs the current look we got.

At the moment I'm just going after anything that's at least a +5 to one of the dual skills. I don't really know what I'm doing tbh, picking things that have a base armor of at least 85 or so. It's weird that the relic stuff doesn't have skill points if it doesn't have the locked in charms, it kinda feels like those three empty slots are useless.
I tried maxing out a lower tier relic the other day just to see how high the def got and if I remember right it was 135? And it's weird too when some relic 8 armor needs zenith gems while a rare 9 I got doesn't.

Shengar

Selene X set+Holy Guild Knight DB=Dead monsters that have water weakness
This set seriously destroy them like completely.
Also that was a good hunt, got a Pallium from that B. Gravios.

So many randoms seem to either be playing IG or LS and as a lancer it pretty much means I'm constantly being tripped over, it's starting to become tiresome.

Top Bottom