• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

And we full.

edit x2: Done for the night but I wanna thank everybody who joined my room. Those were some good runs and I got a lot of stuff. Hopefully you guys did too.

Shengar

I got Edgemaster+4 OOO from today hunts. Not Jeff Vader's hack charm level, but it still very good, finally I can have Honed Edge set without mixing too much.

PrankT

Okay, I want to get the Felyne Headband X...but to do that, I need several of Legend Coin G. Apparently the best way to get that is by doing the Triple Tigrex Arena mission...which you can only fight using a Hammer, a Hunting Horn, a Bow, Lance or Gunlance. And of those, only the Hammer and Hunting Horn have Wystones. And the Hunting Horn has Taunt.

...sigh. Looks like I'll be learning to use the Hammer then.
Maybe I should just aim for the Apex Deviljho quest instead. >_> Can't believe that's actually looking like the easiest option, lol.
I think Apex Deviljho is a lot easier and only takes a few minutes. The 3 tigrex was a pain for me.

Wolfe

I got Edgemaster+4 OOO from today hunts. Not Jeff Vader's hack charm level, but it still very good, finally I can have Honed Edge set without mixing too much.

Right on dude that's pretty awesome. I've had an edgemaster +4 charm for a bit now but it only has 1 socket, my 3 socket one is only +1 lol. Nice find.

Shengar

Lightbreak C. Blade is pretty good right? It looks awesome, that raw damage, sharpness, and phial. Seems no brainer to me, but there is one problem: I can't use CB.

Wolfe

I would use that CB a hell of a lot more if I had better charms. As it is now I get shoehorned into using Crimson Fatalis due to the 3 sockets. Can't wait to get better charms @_@!

Lightbreak C. Blade is pretty good right? It looks awesome, that raw damage, sharpness, and phial. Seems no brainer to me, but there is one problem: I can't use CB.

Git gud tho. Lightbreak is one of my favorites and probably my absolute favorite blast weapon. There's just something about it that feels better than the C.F one.

Worth mentioning, the Teostra one looks great and is pretty good too.

If someone could just give me two Vile Fangs that'd be greeeeat. G-rank Savage is no joke, unless he decides not to give you anything. Got some good guard point practice in though.

Are Shah Dalamadur's meteor attacks and mouth blasts considered to be Dragon element, or are they just damage?

Wolfe

No idea, they never give me dragonblight though.

Also I just made a new set and said fuck the negative sharpening skill, I'm using Lightbreak CB over the crimson fatty one :p

This SK armor is pretty, but that mounting and edge lore is ridiculous! Has anyone played with a few builds to maximize its effectiveness?

Mainly using IG and HGE for the time being.

Rawk Hawk

Had a busy weekend, only had time to sneak in a couple hunts last night. Hope everyone had good RNG over the weekend,

I did however get a chance to craft my first SnS, and went looking for typical armor sets for it. I have a couple templates to get me by, but figured it would be worth seeing what others like and maybe trying those out. Upon doing so I found "Stylish Bomber," which apparently is a hunting style for SnS that has you dropping bombs mid fight to blow things up? Needless to say I'm extremely interested, has anyone done this effectively? Is it main a solo'ers play style (seems like bombs would mess up online players)?

Never heard of this until I went looking today, but sounds pretty fun.

tuffy

Unless everyone else is fighting ranged, Stylish Bombing SnS in a group sounds like the most disruptive playstyle possible. I've only seen it used for solo speedruns.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I never do bombing when I'm playing online with others. It's just too disruptive.

SnS has a bunch of other good applications though. The primary reason I love it is the ability to 'spring board' from below a ledge to get mounting hits in. You can usually get two hits in leaping off a ledge too, which makes for some easy mounts. It's also one of the best weapons for Wide Range use, throwing Flash Bombs, setting traps, as you don't have to sheath.

Had a busy weekend, only had time to sneak in a couple hunts last night. Hope everyone had good RNG over the weekend,

I did however get a chance to craft my first SnS, and went looking for typical armor sets for it. I have a couple templates to get me by, but figured it would be worth seeing what others like and maybe trying those out. Upon doing so I found "Stylish Bomber," which apparently is a hunting style for SnS that has you dropping bombs mid fight to blow things up? Needless to say I'm extremely interested, has anyone done this effectively? Is it main a solo'ers play style (seems like bombs would mess up online players)?

Never heard of this until I went looking today, but sounds pretty fun.

Hell no. If you want that as a solo run, feel free to go for it. Trying to get an attack while bombs are going off all over the place is annoying as hell.

And room is up

00-8762-7120-4201

This SK armor is pretty, but that mounting and edge lore is ridiculous! Has anyone played with a few builds to maximize its effectiveness?

Thank you very much tm24 for posting the quest for my wife and I, and Keoni for your help!

I finally got the rest of the materials to make the Star Knight set at like 1am, so I didn't have much time to play around with it. For now this is what I came up with.

51igU0H.jpg

I use a reggie horn so I don't need Sharpness+1. I have exactly 5 slots to spare so I can fit in any of the 2 point jewel skills. I find Mycology works best because the ability to bring along 10 Max Potions (Dragon Toadstools), and pop them like water because they are so easy to make, is amazing. When monsters hit you for 2/3rds your health, it's nice not having to guzzle 2 mega pots to maybe be at full health.

Thank you very much tm24 for posting the quest for my wife and I, and Keoni for your help!

I finally got the rest of the materials to make the Star Knight set at like 1am, so I didn't have much time to play around with it. For now this is what I came up with.

51igU0H.jpg

I use a reggie horn so I don't need Sharpness+1. I have exactly 5 slots to spare so I can fit in any of the 2 point jewel skills. I find Mycology works best because the ability to bring along 10 Max Potions (Dragon Toadstools), and pop them like water because they are so easy to make, is amazing. When monsters hit you for 2/3rds your health, it's nice not having to guzzle 2 mega pots to maybe be at full health.

Holy crap I'm jealous already!

Rawk Hawk

Man all these people instantly tell me not to bomb, sort of makes me want to bomb... I think for starters I'll toss it on my Uka set and work out from there. I really could use a Doku set, but I don't think I have furious rajang online yet, maybe I'll make a bombing set to tackle him offline.

Shengar

While you're at it try to recruit five bomber palicoes, have them as your 1st stringers, deploy and feels what it likes to play with bombing-happy hunting partners.

Seriously, just don't do it online. There are reasons why Capcom make blast damage have no friendly fire despite being explosion. If you do it solo, that's fine. Don't expect thay SnS playstyle carried to online play though.

Man all these people instantly tell me not to bomb, sort of makes me want to bomb... I think for starters I'll toss it on my Uka set and work out from there. I really could use a Doku set, but I don't think I have furious rajang online yet, maybe I'll make a bombing set to tackle him offline.

No one has told you not to bomb. We've told you not to bomb in a group.

Rawk Hawk

Haha yea, I won't bring it online, or will I? Muahaha.

I think I'll just do my normal Uka set for a while until I learn it well enough to make a special set just for SnS. It's the Teostra one, and I'm working on Brach DBs as well, so really should just make a blast set with Sharp+1, Razor Sharp and Bombardier. Thinking with the Doku set I could squeeze that all out.

No one has told you not to bomb. We've told you not to bomb in a group.

Well that's what I meant, it's like people telling you not to touch the red button.. it just makes it so much more tempting.. must resist..

I slot in Divine Protection, and with my charm I get Sharpness+1 and Constitution+1 for my general purpose build. I've also gotten in Evade Extender and Sharpness+1 for my SA build, but you could easily get Evasion in with the right charm.

Man that monster hunter thread in gaming is nasty.

It's actually hilarious.

HANDHELDS AREN'T REAL CONSOLES.

tuffy

I loved being able to bounce my 3 Ultimate save back-and-forth between the Wii U and 3DS. Sometimes I'd play it on the big screen, sometimes I'd play it out of the house, sometimes I'd even do Wii U/3DS local multiplayer.

But I think the economic realities of the series are pretty clear at this point. Though that hasn't kept pretty much every Monster Hunter thread on the Gaming side from veering off into some port-begging tangent at some point.

I loved being able to bounce my 3 Ultimate save back-and-forth between the Wii U and 3DS. Sometimes I'd play it on the big screen, sometimes I'd play it out of the house, sometimes I'd even do Wii U/3DS local multiplayer.

But I think the economic realities of the series are pretty clear at this point. Though that hasn't kept pretty much every Monster Hunter thread on the Gaming side from veering off into some port-begging tangent at some point.

It staying on handhelds would be fine for me. But going mobile exclusive would be the end of my love affair with the series.

Shengar

One thing i've never understood is how come MH port begging is so common and those threads don't get locked unlike the other ones.
Opiate already state his opinion, which is reasonable enough for me to keep the thread opened.
I prefer the series on consoles, but I'll follow it mostly anywhere.

I might only stop if it goes touchscreen controls only.
I prefer both. Big screen is extra nice but able to hunting on-the-go is great too. It isn't feasible financially for the company, but MH3U/Toukiden Kiwami route with releasing the game on console and handheld is the most ideal.

And the moment mainline MH goes mobile, the moment I stop caring about it.

Opiate already state his opinion, which is reasonable enough for me to keep the thread opened.
I prefer both. Big screen is extra nice but able to hunting on-the-go is great too. It isn't feasible financially for the company, but MH3U/Toukiden Kiwami route with releasing the game on console and handheld is the most ideal.

And the moment mainline MH goes mobile, the moment I stop caring about it.

<3 We'd need to find something new to scratch the hunting itch if this tragedy ever occurred.

Shengar

The economic reality for the series currently is very unclear. Where should the next MH goes to? 3DS might be the obvious choice considering the install base, but MH4G Japanese shows that series fatigue had begun to set in. The series needs another big substantial chance like they did with Tri. But 3DS wouldn't be able to do that since MH4U apparently already pushed 3DS to its limit.

I'm fine with MH5 ends up on anything that is not mobile, but preferably it shouldn't be on the 3DS since it'll only stagnate the series.
<3 We'd need to find something new to scratch the hunting itch if this tragedy ever occurred.
MHFU is blatant message that Capcom is testing the water, which really scares me of that future. I mean, 3DS screen is already small enough and its ergonomic will kill your hand more often than the monster. Smartphone will increased those problem tenfold.

MHFU is blatant message that Capcom is testing the water, which really scares me of that future. I mean, 3DS screen is already small enough and it's ergonomic will kill your hand more often than the monster. Smartphone will increased those problem tenfold.

Yeah, scares me too. I loved Toukiden (still haven't played on PS4) but I won't lie and say that the combat felt as good as Monster Hunter. I also liked Soul Sacrifice but again, didn't feel as good.

If I lost Monster Hunter as a series, then I really don't know where the "hunting" genre would go for me.

Weirdly I myself can't figure out where to put a MH5 right now. Do you guys think Capcom is in talks with Nintendo about the NX or vice-versa? Assuming that's coming out soon and won't be 2 years out.

tuffy

Weirdly I myself can't figure out where to put a MH5 right now. Do you guys think Capcom is in talks with Nintendo about the NX or vice-versa? Assuming that's coming out soon and won't be 2 years out.
Considering the Circle Pad Pro is pretty much built for Monster Hunter, and the New 3DS builds it into the system, I felt certain that accommodating the game will factor into the 3DS successor's design. Assuming a 2 year gap between the New 3DS and the next system (ala DSi to 3DS), Monster Hunter 5 would make a very strong launch title.

brau

Considering the Circle Pad Pro is pretty much built for Monster Hunter, and the New 3DS builds it into the system, I felt certain that accommodating the game will factor into the 3DS successor's design. Assuming a 2 year gap between the New 3DS and the next system (ala DSi to 3DS), Monster Hunter 5 would make a very strong launch title.

You play on the new 3ds nub? thats all i use and i have no issues with it.

Top Bottom