• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

tuffy

You play on the new 3ds nub? thats all i use and i have no issues with it.
I find it's more reliable for horizontal camera control than vertical and some texture on the stick would've been nice for extra grip (TrackPoint style). But then again, I don't use it for any sort of serious aiming either. If not for muscle memory I could probably get away with using the zL/zR triggers for much of what I use the nub for.

I find it's more reliable for horizontal camera control than vertical and some texture on the stick would've been nice for extra grip (TrackPoint style). But then again, I don't use it for any sort of serious aiming either. If not for muscle memory I could probably get away with using the zL/zR triggers for much of what I use the nub for.

Yeah, I play with zL/zR.

brau

I think i use a mix of both trigger to lock on monster, but also the nub. I kinda don't think too much or at all about it now that i think about it. I spent enough hours to be more natural by now i hope.

Also, playing at 60fps on new 3ds, with cutscenes on the new face tracking 3D effect is awesome. Never would've thought i would like to play a game with the 3d on.

brau

All this talk about getting a n3DS makes me want to go grab one soon...argh!

MH honestly forced my hand to buy a 3ds. I develop for the 3ds atm, and i am never impressed with the device. But the New 3DS is actually pretty awesome. The 3D effect is actually bearable and cool to play with, the nub i don't notice at all and i use all the time, bigger screen as well, and its very comfortable. I am very happy with my N3DS.I would recommend. Specially just to play 60fps (with some dips) of MH4.

Shengar

Yeah, scares me too. I loved Toukiden (still haven't played on PS4) but I won't lie and say that the combat felt as good as Monster Hunter. I also liked Soul Sacrifice but again, didn't feel as good.

If I lost Monster Hunter as a series, then I really don't know where the "hunting" genre would go for me.
Well, Kiwami is definitely the right direction of the series. They fixed tons of problem in the rightest way possible and makes it enjoyable to play. It isn't MH level of refinement of course.. Though Capcom is the house of masterful melee combat designer, so KT would never able to match them unless they re-hire Itagaki.
All I'm saying is those monsters would look really nice on my 980.
MHO looks nice, but it being Chinese MMO is a killjoy. Not the mention that playing teostra''s theme for rathian battle is a travesty on itself.
Weirdly I myself can't figure out where to put a MH5 right now. Do you guys think Capcom is in talks with Nintendo about the NX or vice-versa? Assuming that's coming out soon and won't be 2 years out.
I think one year break would be nice. MH3G slump from MHP3RD and huge jump afterward with MH4 shows that it prevent series fatiguing too quick. It's a serious problem when the fastest selling game in the series for first week in Japan goes to perform under the number of MH3G which at the time 3DS have smaller install base.

All this talk about getting a n3DS makes me want to go grab one soon...argh!

Until Hori make an expansion slide pad for N3DS, I wouldn't upgrade my 3DSXL/
So it's basically never.

brau

I didn't own a 3ds before getting the MH4U limited n3ds. Only other game I have is Dual Destinies.

No regrets.

I actually have a huge library on my N3DS. I have ocarina of time, majoras mask, link between worlds, shovel knight, pokemon omega ruby (which will be my first pokemon game lol) super mario bros 3, xenoblade chronicles and Fantasy Life.

Out of which i have spent my most time with MH4. Next Fantasy Life and then Xenoblade.

Shengar

It's terrifying that my MH4U total playtime is bigger than my whole playtime from all games in past two years combined. And I'm not even have my semester break yet.

tuffy

Yeah, I play with zL/zR.
I think I actually switched them to duplicate L/R early on because I was just defaulting to the nub so much by instinct. But I'm going to switch zL/zR back to horizontal camera control tonight and try to practice with them more.
I think i use a mix of both trigger to lock on monster, but also the nub. I kinda don't think too much or at all about it now that i think about it. I spent enough hours to be more natural by now i hope.

Also, playing at 60fps on new 3ds, with cutscenes on the new face tracking 3D effect is awesome. Never would've thought i would like to play a game with the 3d on.
The lock-on is especially nice when something goes vertical and I need to pan up or down to it, or when Brachy does one of his silly sprints and I need to figure out where he's gone off to (usually right behind me for an attack).

I'll turn on the face-tracking 3D for harvest tours and things. I've tried to leave it on for fights, but sometimes Tigrex will charge me and I'll find myself moving my whole 3DS to the side also when dodging - as if to get both my hunter and myself out of its path - and it breaks the effect!

Well, Kiwami is definitely the right direction of the series. They fixed tons of problem in the rightest way possible and makes it enjoyable to play. It isn't MH level of refinement of course.. Though Capcom is the house of masterful melee combat designer, so KT would never able to match them unless they re-hire Itagaki.

I just imagined an Itagaki hunting game and couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry.

brau

I think I actually switched them to duplicate L/R early on because I was just defaulting to the nub so much by instinct. But I'm going to switch zL/zR back to horizontal camera control tonight and try to practice with them more.

The lock-on is especially nice when something goes vertical and I need to pan up or down to it, or when Brachy does one of his silly sprints and I need to figure out where he's gone off to (usually right behind me for an attack).

I'll turn on the face-tracking 3D for harvest tours and things. I've tried to leave it on for fights, but sometimes Tigrex will charge me and I'll find myself moving my whole 3DS to the side also when dodging - as if to get both my hunter and myself out of its path - and it breaks the effect!

Are you using N3DS? cuz the movement of the hardware doesnt' break the 3d effect as easily with the face tracking. Its awesome. At least to watch the intros of the monsters is super epic.

tuffy

Are you using N3DS? cuz the movement of the hardware doesnt' break the 3d effect as easily with the face tracking. Its awesome. At least to watch the intros of the monsters is super epic.
Oh, I am. It's just that I move my 3DS comically far to the side because Molten Tigrex on a roll is terrifying. I've also been using the 3D to redo the monster intros both because it looks cool and to see how my latest armor sets look.

brau

Oh, I am. It's just that I move my 3DS comically far to the side because Molten Tigrex on a roll is terrifying. I've also been using the 3D to redo the monster intros both because it looks cool and to see how my latest armor sets look.

One of my fav armors to look at was my high rank and low rank zamitrios armor. looks like something out of dark souls. Love it. The rusty armor i have looks pretty epic.

But the cutscenes have been doing an awesome job of displaying how badass the monsters are. i watch them again once in a while. get all giddy when i run into a mission that triggers one now.

Shengar

I just imagined an Itagaki hunting game and couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry.

I don't know man, but I would buy Platinum Game's take on hunting action if they'll ever do one.

As per usual it'll the be the worst selling hunting action game with the greatest combat ever

Weirdly I myself can't figure out where to put a MH5 right now. Do you guys think Capcom is in talks with Nintendo about the NX or vice-versa? Assuming that's coming out soon and won't be 2 years out.

The NX won't be announced in any capacity until next year, and I don't think they'll announce/show it off and then release it in the same year unless they target christmas.

I don't know man, but I would buy Platinum Game's take on hunting action if they'll ever do one.

As per usual it'll the be the worst selling hunting action game with the greatest combat ever

Scalebound is coming soon you know. It might be kinda monster hunter.

"It's you, and there's dragons," Lobb said about Scalebound. "Monster Hunter-esque, no. Monster Hunter is kind of weird and grindy. I like it, but no. You have to think, what does Platinum do well? That's what they're building. What do we do well? That's what we're adding. And yes, these are dragon companions. God, they are awesome [gasps]."

Or not. It'll be the closest thing you get.

Beats

I've only played the ones that came on Nintendo platforms, but I can't say I particularly care where the series goes as long as it has physical buttons (having a second screen would be pretty nice too, but not necessary). Though I don't know if I would want to play an F2P MMO Monster Hunter. Micro transactions can be scary sometimes.

I enjoyed reading Coxswain's and a few other posts on the series/this game in that Monster Hunter thread at least. The rest just feels like the same old song and dance.

I think what attracted me to the series is that it sort of feels like a fighting game. Picking up a new weapon is almost like playing a different character. There's just a lot to learn and consider which is something I really enjoy when it comes to games. I also really appreciate the additions that may seem minor to some people like frenzy, weapon balance changes/moveset additions or having slight variations of the same monster.

I kinda wish I bought a New3DS for this at launch. My playtime with this is probably more than all the other 3DS games I've played combined. :x

sorry this was kind of a scattered post lol.

It's about as close to a character action game as I can get now that I've started scraping the bottom of the barrel. I also appreciate the freedom of customization it offers when it comes to getting skills and armor. Sorta like a deeper Warframe with better bosses and less trash mobs.

On the subject of the N3DS, I bought it just because load times.

Man, fuck Dalamadur.

2 deaths, out of pots, 10 minutes left, I'm under 20% health. I'm doing this all while in my jobs café on my lunch break with 5 minutes left on the break. I finish him off with.......my Kinsect. I sent it out, it hit him, and he died lol(was either my kinsect or one of my cats). What an amazing way to end the fight! Currently HR 40.

Wolfe

Coulda sworn they duplicated L/R by default as I don't recall changing any of my options except Y axis on any camera controls. As it is though I definitely use a combination of both inputs, typically I manually adjust the camera but at times if I need to snap it 180 degrees or whatever I'll definitely hit the target cam button.

Hori make an expansion slide pad for N3DS, I wouldn't upgrade my 3DSXL/
So it's basically never.

I've never tried the thing but just based on the fact you're missing out on the improved hardward means I couldn't do that, I love playing with 3D on too much :(

Also MH4 finally surpassed my MH3 playtime, I just can't stop loving this game.

Rawk Hawk

Man, fuck Dalamadur.

2 deaths, out of pots, 10 minutes left, I'm under 20% health. I'm doing this all while in my jobs café on my lunch break with 5 minutes left on the break. I finish him off with.......my Kinsect. I sent it out, it hit him, and he died lol(was either my kinsect or one of my cats). What an amazing way to end the fight! Currently HR 40.

That's a pretty epic finish. Congrats!

As for N3DS talk, I like my old XL with circle pad pro, the added size makes it a lot easier to hold and play I think. So until something comes out on the N3DS that I want (Already sunk 200 hours into Xenoblade on the Wii), I'll likely just stick to being the last one to show up in the gathering area after a fight.

Wolfe

As for N3DS talk, I like my old XL with circle pad pro, the added size makes it a lot easier to hold and play I think. So until something comes out on the N3DS that I want (Already sunk 200 hours into Xenoblade on the Wii), I'll likely just stick to being the last one to show up in the gathering area after a fight.

I had to pick up one of these for my n3DS due to the lack of "grip" after losing the CPP. It's definitely cheap but it gets the job done and slightly better than the CPP due to being a true controller style grip in comparison.

I bought mine for 5 bucks plus 5 dollars shipping from the "X new from X.XX$" part and I didn't have to spend 35 bucks for free shipping just to get the 10 dollars total price. Plus you can access your stylus with it on unlike the CPP.

That SA mixed set (Eva+3, Eva Ext, HGE, Sharp+1) works out really well as a lance set as well. Been having a ton a fun, though all I've been able to use at the moment is the True Ruiner Lance.

Wolfe

My friend got a +6 Hearing +3 FastCharge O charm.

I'm not sure if we're still friends

Man I've got so many charms like that that I consider Ok but not great. Still waiting for that badass 7 handi 3 slots charm :p

That SA mixed set (Eva+3, Eva Ext, HGE, Sharp+1) works out really well as a lance set as well. Been having a ton a fun, though all I've been able to use at the moment is the True Ruiner Lance.

Man I know what you mean, some of my sets rely on the Crimson Fatalis CB due to those 3 sockets. Sucks too (not the weapon, it is dope no doubt) cause the only other 3 socket CB options are Schwartzchild (which requires awakening) or an unreleased event CB that maxes out at rare 7.

Not a big deal obviously but a few more options would be nice.

Wolfe

Anyone have a good 120+ savage djho GQ they can send with good bias? Would be much obliged.. Thanks!!

There is no Savage Deviljho GQ's, only unrelased DLC and rare expeditions. As fas as bias you have to be a little more specific, there are no good or bad bias, only different types of gear/weaps.

Getting crushed then destroyed then crushed again by 126+ shaggy.Sigh...

I know what you mean, S Magala wrecks me all the time. I hate having to work around those dumb ground explosions that are practically going off the whole damn fight :p

Tom_Cody

So, I dropped my 'new' 3DS last week and the R button is now shot. Luckily the 'new' 3DS's ZR button works just fine as a backup, but I will want to send it in for repair eventually.

I had been worried that I would have to do a system transfer before sending it in, but I just got off the phone with Nintendo's tech line and the person I talked to said that, even in a worst case scenario, I would be fine as long as I took out my SD card before sending it in.

Can someone confirm this? Does MH4U save to the (micro) SD, or at least can I transfer to that? I want to be safe even if Nintendo ends up wiping my system, so I want to double check that a new system with the software redownloaded will be able to read the save off of my card.

Thanks in advance.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I know what you mean, S Magala wrecks me all the time. I hate having to work around those dumb ground explosions that are practically going off the whole damn fight :p
f16.png

tm24

Man I've got so many charms like that that I consider Ok but not great. Still waiting for that badass 7 handi 3 slots charm :p

I would kill for that charm he got. I can basically make a much better version of the set im currently gunning for

So, I dropped my 'new' 3DS last week and the R button is now shot. Luckily the 'new' 3DS's ZR button works just fine as a backup, but I will want to send it in for repair eventually.

I had been worried that I would have to do a system transfer before sending it in, but I just got off the phone with Nintendo's tech line and the person I talked to said that, even in a worst case scenario, I would be fine as long as I took out my SD card before sending it in.

Can someone confirm this? Does MH4U save to the (micro) SD, or at least can I transfer to that? I want to be safe even if Nintendo ends up wiping my system, so I want to double check that a new system with the software redownloaded will be able to read the save off of my card.

Thanks in advance.

You can backup all your save and game data to the SD card. MH4U should do that automatically if you bought it through the e-shop. If it's a physical card, I'm not sure. Theoretically you'd back up the save and it would read the save once you got your new 3DS from repair.

The system transfer thing is really only about transferring licences and existing downloaded content. I'm reasonably sure that if you get it back and sign in with the existing account, you can just plug in the SD card and be good to go.

Tom_Cody

You can backup all your save and game data to the SD card. MH4U should do that automatically if you bought it through the e-shop. If it's a physical card, I'm not sure. Theoretically you'd back up the save and it would read the save once you got your new 3DS from repair.

The system transfer thing is really only about transferring licences and existing downloaded content. I'm reasonably sure that if you get it back and sign in with the existing account, you can just plug in the SD card and be good to go.
Thanks. That's exactly what the Nintendo rep said. I guess I'll just check my data management to make sure.

tuffy

It sounds like they're telling you to take the SD card out, so they're presumably sending you a fixed 3DS with the same encryption keys as the one you have now. So unless they really screw something up, you should be able to put the SD card back into the fixed system and everything should be just fine. If you have the game on cartridge there's even less to worry about since all your important hunter data would be saved there. In 3 Ultimate stuff like guild cards were saved to the SD card separately from the hunter data and could be lost in various ways, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Tom_Cody

It sounds like they're telling you to take the SD card out, so they're presumably sending you a fixed 3DS with the same encryption keys as the one you have now. So unless they really screw something up, you should be able to put the SD card back into the fixed system and everything should be just fine. If you have the game on cartridge there's even less to worry about since all your important hunter data would be saved there. In 3 Ultimate stuff like guild cards were saved to the SD card separately from the hunter data and could be lost in various ways, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.
Yeah, I think I'm fine. It's more that I had the preconceived notion going in that I would have to do a system transfer. Everything seems to point to it being completely fine if I just take out my micro SD prior to sending it it.

For what it's worth, it is a download and not a physical cart.

Someone should host a Dalamadur room.

I don't know why people aren't using Dalamadur gear. The SA I can get up to (if I'm reading Kiranico right) would out damage most of my other SAs unless they're honed for attack. And most stages have three slots!

Shengar

Someone should host a Dalamadur room.

I don't know why people aren't using Dalamadur gear. The SA I can get up to (if I'm reading Kiranico right) would out damage most of my other SAs unless they're honed for attack. And most stages have three slots!
White sharpness
It can be quite a killjoy for some.

Doing mostly G-1 quests to finish it up as well as farming Najarala for parts!

Can rotate if needed, but here we go:

ID: 06-9622-4004-0900
P/w: 9099

Top Bottom