• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

There is no Savage Deviljho GQ's, only unrelased DLC and rare expeditions. As fas as bias you have to be a little more specific, there are no good or bad bias, only different types of gear/weaps.

I know what you mean, S Magala wrecks me all the time. I hate having to work around those dumb ground explosions that are practically going off the whole damn fight :p
Don't forget that deadly crotch he has from last night :p

Alright, I love Lancing too.

Shit all the weapons are so much fun to use. I've never had this kind of an experience with a game before.

Boy it's real nice to get Felyne Foodie for an Expedition.

OK, I just fought Guild Chameleos and failed when time ran out even though I did enough damage to cut off its tail. What gives? Shouldn't it have been repelled? How much damage do I have to do to repel it? I've read that, like in MHFU, the tail can't be cut off until its health hits 30%. That should have been a mission accomplished, right?

Great hunts tonight again, and a huge thanks to Shengar, Arc, and Tuffy for the help on Fatalis. Certainly an interesting monster that I need to read up more on.

co1onel

OK, I just fought Guild Chameleos and failed when time ran out even though I did enough damage to cut off its tail. What gives? Shouldn't it have been repelled? How much damage do I have to do to repel it? I've read that, like in MHFU, the tail can't be cut off until its health hits 30%. That should have been a mission accomplished, right?

I've had the tail come off within the first 30 seconds of the fight so it definitely doesn't need to be below 30% health.

Yrael

Someone should host a Dalamadur room.

I don't know why people aren't using Dalamadur gear. The SA I can get up to (if I'm reading Kiranico right) would out damage most of my other SAs unless they're honed for attack. And most stages have three slots!

The upgraded Dalamadur Switch Axe requires DLC (G rank Dala) that hasn't been released yet.

Wolfe

Don't forget that deadly crotch he has from last night :p

Yeah I mean I expect that area to be a weak point cause ya know, but still, damn.

The upgraded Dalamadur Switch Axe requires DLC (G rank Dala) that hasn't been released yet.

I've got the fully upgraded CB and even though it has nice raw and 3 slots the para is rather low and requires awaken, which is the main bummer. Rarely ever use the thing and tbh I liked it better visually when it wasn't red on the blades lol.

Tom_Cody

Playing with randoms can be so hit or miss. I greatly value the ability to simply turn on my game and pop into guild halls without doing manual matchmaking on GAF or elsewhere. But this leads a tremendous gulf between the highs and the lows of my play experiences.

Randoms had been fine for until HR-7. People rarely carted, missions were even more rarely failed. Then came Dalamadur and his lazer, and then came G-Rank. Triple carts everywhere. It is such an awful feeling to only have an hour to play and to have that time wasted by idiots triple carting in three separate hunts.

Last night, my first hunted ended with a triple cart on the final monster of a multi-monster hunt (and two of the players had quit mid-hunt after carting). Then I switched rooms. It happened again, this time when the final monster was close to death. The guy appologized so I wanted to give him another chance, then the same guy died all three times in the next attempt at that mission.

So I switched again... And I encountered nothing but hunting bliss for the rest of the night! I landed with a group that did a mix of G1 & G2 keys and Wycoon trading quests, then found another that was farming Sergios after the first group disbanded for the night. I played with those two groups until I was literally falling asleep. All missions were completed in sub-ten minute times with little wait time between missions. And, best of all, I got all the rare parts I will need to craft the Regios X set I have been coveting (hello Lens!) once I get to G2. Feels good man.

Wolfe

I know where you're coming from. For me at this point though my goals (until I start caring about relics at least) are just play to have fun, so I'm able to not be bothered by it so much. Definitely can be frustrating at times, regardless of the fault or lack there of.

But as you said there are also times of finding great parties with randoms and you have a blast.

GAF is still my favorite and preferred hunting ground though, always really enjoy it.

Shengar

Well, that explains that. I thought Capcom was just fucking me over. I didn't even have my first Wystone yet at that point (was behind on story progress).
Don't quote me on that though lol
But really, the story of people met their first Apex monster outside the story during Seltas mission is too often. It's like Capcom tries to emitate Qurupeco summoning Deviljho for nasty first experience in 3U without the actual Qurupeco.
Playing with randoms can be so hit or miss. I greatly value the ability to simply turn on my game and pop into guild halls without doing manual matchmaking on GAF or elsewhere. But this leads a tremendous gulf between the highs and the lows of my play experiences.

Randoms had been fine for until HR-7. People rarely carted, missions were even more rarely failed. Then came Dalamadur and his lazer, and then came G-Rank. Triple carts everywhere. It is such an awful feeling to only have an hour to play and to have that time wasted by idiots triple carting in three separate hunts.

Last night, my first hunted ended with a triple cart on the final monster of a multi-monster hunt (and two of the players had quit mid-hunt after carting). Then I switched rooms. It happened again, this time when the final monster was close to death. The guy appologized so I wanted to give him another chance, then the same guy died all three times in the next attempt at that mission.

So I switched again... And I encountered nothing but hunting bliss for the rest of the night! I landed with a group that did a mix of G1 & G2 keys and Wycoon trading quests, then found another that was farming Sergios after the first group disbanded for the night. I played with those two groups until I was literally falling asleep. All missions were completed in sub-ten minute times with little wait time between missions. And, best of all, I got all the rare parts I will need to craft the Regios X set I have been coveting (hello Lens!) once I get to G2. Feels good man.

Randoms really hit and miss. My experience in MH3U is mostly hit, and so does in 4U. But that only because I rarely play with random in 4U though, since I just can't feel the spark playing like that. Not get the sense of progression from your hunting buddies makes me feel empty inside and it is almost depress me.

But really, the story of people met their first Apex monster outside the story during Seltas mission is too often. It's like Capcom tries to emitate Qurupeco summoning Deviljho for nasty first experience in 3U without the actual Qurupeco.

Yeah, it reminded me of that (they did the same thing in MHTri). The difference is I killed that Jho, and the fight is one of my favorite Monster Hunter memories of all time. That Apex Rajang was not possible without wystones.

Not get the sense of progression from your hunting buddies makes me feel empty inside and it is almost depress me.

Aww, Sheng <3.

Yrael

Okay, I've decided to do Apex Deviljho arena quests rather than the hassle of Triple Tigrex, lol. Anyone feel like joining me? I'll be using the Sword and Shield (with sleep coating).

could need a little help versus apex rajang...

59 0258 3368 0790

still 2 spots open, people don't seem to rush

edit : 3 spots, the other just left lol

edit 2 : one more to go

edit 3 : full!

Tom_Cody

I know where you're coming from. For me at this point though my goals (until I start caring about relics at least) are just play to have fun, so I'm able to not be bothered by it so much. Definitely can be frustrating at times, regardless of the fault or lack there of.

But as you said there are also times of finding great parties with randoms and you have a blast.

GAF is still my favorite and preferred hunting ground though, always really enjoy it.

Randoms really hit and miss. My experience in MH3U is mostly hit, and so does in 4U. But that only because I rarely play with random in 4U though, since I just can't feel the spark playing like that. Not get the sense of progression from your hunting buddies makes me feel empty inside and it is almost depress me.
Man, I really need to get better about popping in here when I'm starting up extended sessions.

I'm just G1. Will I have a place with GAF-hunters?

Shengar

Man, I really need to get better about popping in here when I'm starting up extended sessions.

Well, there's this certain guy that will certain help you to went through G Rank. But beside him, I think many gaffers will help if you asked it during the right time. Helping people from lower rank is a good way to try out new weapon that you're not familiar with, at least for me.

Quadratic

I can relate to the randoms talk. Sometimes you get a great mix or you get people without activated armor skills.

However, some G3 or 140 Guild quest rooms can be stressful and if you're not focused. I openly admit I have good and bad days hunting. At this point I think I'm pretty satisfied with the gear I have. Right now it's just having fun.

Maybe not double Rajang rooms

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT.

Source:

Well, there's this certain guy that will certain help you to went through G Rank. But beside him, I think many gaffers will help if you asked it during the right time. Helping people from lower rank is a good way to try out new weapon that you're not familiar with, at least for me.

I would not have progress into the higher G ranks without some members and lurkers of GAF MH community. So get going on setting a time and room and some of us will join u to hunt down stuff.

Tom_Cody

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT.

Source:

I would not have progress into the higher G ranks without some members and lurkers of GAF MH community. So get going on setting a time and room and some of us will join u to hunt down stuff.
GAF is the best community.

Shengar

Yeah, it reminded me of that (they did the same thing in MHTri). The difference is I killed that Jho, and the fight is one of my favorite Monster Hunter memories of all time. That Apex Rajang was not possible without wystones.
I'm not sure my reaction from seeing huge, pickle dinosaur for the first time is to kill it. I'll probably abandoned the quest right away if I don't know about Deviljho beforehand.
Aww, Sheng <3.

It's frustating since I want to play MH but I just can't find the right reason to it. Forcing myself to play will only result in empty satisfaction after killing a monster, let alone quest that failed because randoms carting left and right.

I can relate to the randoms talk. Sometimes you get a great mix or you get people without activated armor skills.

However, some G3 or 140 Guild quest rooms can be stressful and if you're not focused. I openly admit I have good and bad days hunting. At this point I think I'm pretty satisfied with the gear I have. Right now it's just having fun.

Maybe not double Rajang rooms

Double monster that go Apex is bad, but double Rajang is already stupid from the start. With the later at least you can fight them normally, throwing dung bomb when they are in the same room. But with double Rajang it just matter of time before two of them in the same area, ganging up the hunters together.

It's frustating since I want to play MH but I just can't find the right reason to it. Forcing myself to play will only result in empty satisfaction after killing a monster, let alone quest that failed because randoms carting left and right.

With each successive entry in the series, my average time until losing ambition keeps lowering.

I have something like 700 hours in MH1, which isn't much, but there just wasn't as much content then. Only around 200 in MH2 because I couldn't play online. But then well over 1000 in MHF, MHF2, MHP2ndG, and then even MHFU even though it was the exact same game as MHP2ndG.

MHTri I only managed around 500 hours before I was satisfied with what I had and started just helping people. MHP3rdG, only around 250 hours.

MH4U, again, about 250 hours and now I don't really have any ambition of my own for new weapons/armor sets. I'm happy just playing with you guys. If I get a rare material here and there, cool, but I don't have any in-game goals of my own.

Rawk Hawk

Was that a thing? As I was catching up on reading this morning I was going to bring this up, as it happened to me. Deviljho I think was the first monster to ever spawn into one of my random hunts uninvited and it's was terrifying. 3U was my first serious play in the MH series (had Tri but hardly touched it), I knew Qurupeco could call for allies, but let me tell you how I seriously stood up to finish that fight when Jho showed up.,. I had never even seen him before and I was legit nervous, haha. If I remember correctly, I even had to cap Quru, which I was terrible at doing back then.

I always assumed I just had bad luck.

Edit: Actually I think I posted something in the 3U thread about it and someone had a Jho picture queued up and ready.. probably should have realized it was common place. Now that I think of it, I should go read through the 3U thread and see what kind of questions I asked...

Was that a thing? As I was catching up on reading this morning I was going to bring this up, as it happened to me. Deviljho I think was the first monster to ever spawn into one of my random hunts uninvited and it's was terrifying. 3U was my first serious play in the MH series (had Tri but hardly touched it), I knew Qurupeco could call for allies, but let me tell you how I seriously stood up to finish that fight when Jho showed up.,. I had never even seen him before and I was legit nervous, haha. If I remember correctly, I even had to cap Quru, which I was terrible at doing back then.

Deviljho is intimidating and downright terrifying for first time players because of how it can ambush newer players.

First time I fought a Rajang, I thought, ah probably a charging beast. Wait, why is it glowing yellow?

Friend: He's got a super saiyan mode.
Me: It goes super saiyan? Oh shi- *carts*

Deviljho is intimidating and downright terrifying for first time players because of how it can ambush newer players.

First time I fought a Rajang, I thought, ah probably a charging beast. Wait, why is it glowing yellow?

Friend: He's got a super saiyan mode.
Me: It goes super saiyan? Oh shi- *carts*

It's a super saiyan with Piccolo's special beam cannon. Run the fuck away.

I've had the tail come off within the first 30 seconds of the fight so it definitely doesn't need to be below 30% health.
Well then, it looks like I need a fire weapon. Odd. I killed the Caravan Chameleos with 12 minutes left in the timer, yet I couldn't even repel Guild Chameleos. I know Guild monsters have more health, but this is ridiculous. Thank goodness I managed to get a Chameleos gem for my efforts.

What missions do I have to do to trade high-rank Kushala Daora parts for high-rank Chameleos parts? Please don't let it be dual Pink Rathian.

Rawk Hawk

Well then, it looks like I need a fire weapon. Odd. I killed the Caravan Chameleos with 12 minutes left in the timer, yet I couldn't even repel Guild Chameleos. I know Guild monsters have more health, but this is ridiculous. Thank goodness I managed to get a Chameleos gem for my efforts.

What missions do I have to do to trade high-rank Kushala Daora parts for high-rank Chameleos parts? Please don't let it be dual Pink Rathian.

It's a HR7 quest, Advanced Stormy Knight. It's a Kushala Daora fight that requires HR20.

As for repelling, doesn't seem like there is much information on it when I look. Some seem to think it's like at the 20 min mark if it's lower than a specific amount it flees, otherwise it will stay for the full 35 even if you get it to 1%. I don't know how accurate that is, but based on what you are saying it sounds like it may be true, if around mid way you hadn't really done much damage, but piled on towards the end, maybe there is a "time check" if you will. Something like at X Time, if monsters HP is below Y, it flees.

Shengar

With each successive entry in the series, my average time until losing ambition keeps lowering.

I have something like 700 hours in MH1, which isn't much, but there just wasn't as much content then. Only around 200 in MH2 because I couldn't play online. But then well over 1000 in MHF, MHF2, MHP2ndG, and then even MHFU even though it was the exact same game as MHP2ndG.

MHTri I only managed around 500 hours before I was satisfied with what I had and started just helping people. MHP3rdG, only around 250 hours.

MH4U, again, about 250 hours and now I don't really have any ambition of my own for new weapons/armor sets. I'm happy just playing with you guys. If I get a rare material here and there, cool, but I don't have any in-game goals of my own.
I seriously don't know how you can clocked 700 hours in MH1. I can understand MHFU/P2ndG, but MH1? Also you missed 3U, which arguably have some best monsters there that is absent in 4U: Ivory Lagiacrus, and Lucent Nargacuga.

Edit: Actually I think I posted something in the 3U thread about it and someone had a Jho picture queued up and ready.. probably should have realized it was common place. Now that I think of it, I should go read through the 3U thread and see what kind of questions I asked...
HR Qurupeco can call Deviljho IIRC
And I think they will always call Deviljho to the party
It's a super saiyan with Piccolo's special beam cannon. Run the fuck away.
And it can use armament haki on both hand. Rajang is shounen power monsterfied.

I seriously don't know how you can clocked 700 hours in MH1. I can understand MHFU/P2ndG, but MH1?

I had a real life crew of two of my best friends in high school, and my girlfriend playing with me. 700 hours was easy.

Also you missed 3U, which arguably have some best monsters there that is absent in 4U: Ivory Lagiacrus, and Lucent Nargacuga.

I wasn't gonna buy a Wii U for one game. I bought a Wii for one game, but that's because by the time Tri came out, a used Wii was like less than $100 on Craigslist.

I still don't have a Wii U and I'm not going to buy one until Fatal Frame 5 is finally out in America (thank god it's announced).

Kater

Banned
I really want to try out HBG, always thought it was too slow but now after participating in fights with slower monsters like Gogmazios or Dah'ren I kinda want to try it.

Not sure what to go for, which skills, which armor, etc.

So far I've mainly played with the hammer, the Switchaxe, the Insect Glaive (which is my preferred weapon so far because of easy mounting/evade jumps) and the Charge Blade (which I like for the versatility, having a shield can save your butt a lot of times and those charged blasts can do massive damage).

Dunno, thought I might ask here. :)

tuffy

I think I wound up putting ~1,600 hours into 3 Ultimate, though a chunk of that was waiting around in online lobbies. I just never run out of stuff to do. First it's just ranking up and clearing out the quests. Then it's trying to assemble a decent arsenal of weapons and basic armor sets. Now I'm trying to optimize my armor sets, like replacing gunner caps with blademaster helms for better defense, or mixing in different skill combinations. I'll probably start working on filling out my awards list pretty soon too.

Sometimes I start thinking I'm getting close to the end of the game. But then I get clobbered by some stupid combo and I realize I've got a long way to go before I've really mastered it. So I keep coming back in the hope of getting a little better next time.

Top Bottom