• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Shengar

I had a real life crew of two of my best friends in high school, and my girlfriend playing with me. 700 hours was easy.
A complete hunting buddies, that makes sense. I imagine that those can easily burn through time.

I wasn't gonna buy a Wii U for one game. I bought a Wii for one game, but that's because by the time Tri came out, a used Wii was like less than $100 on Craigslist.

I still don't have a Wii U and I'm not going to buy one until Fatal Frame 5 is finally out in America (thank god it's announced).

We can always wait for MH5U though.
Well, as long as it is not on mobile at least.
pls capcom, let me mount Lagiacrus and Nargacuga at least once ;__;

I really want to try out HBG, always thought it was too slow but now after participating in fights with slower monsters like Gogmazios or Dah'ren I kinda want to try it.

Not sure what to go for, which skills, which armor, etc.

So far I've mainly played with the hammer, the Switchaxe, the Insect Glaive (which is my preferred weapon so far because of easy mounting/evade jumps) and the Charge Blade (which I like for the versatility, having a shield can save your butt a lot of times and those charged blasts can do massive damage).

Dunno, thought I might ask here. :)
Have Evade Extender skill for mobility. I think that skill is a must for HBG that isn't using any shield.

A complete hunting buddies, that makes sense. I imagine that those can easily burn through time.

Exactly! Felt like no time at all. Lots of time to crack jokes and tell stories during the huge time sink that is Lao Shan. We didn't have voice chat, so we just used speaker phone. Or sometimes we'd all bring our consoles to one person's house and do it like that.

We can always wait for MH5U though.
Well, as long as it is not on mobile at least.

Hell yeah. As long as this series keeps going and isn't mobile exclusive, you're stuck with me, lol.

pls capcom, let me mount Lagiacrus and Nargacuga at least once ;__;

Narga should be able to jump to another area during a mount. Not like Tigrex, where it breaks it. It just jumps to another area with you on its back, you load, and you keep doing the mount after loading.

And oh man, underwater mounting would be amazing. Oh, also on Lagi, it'd be cool if it was unmountable until you broke the shell shocker on its back.

tuffy

I really want to try out HBG, always thought it was too slow but now after participating in fights with slower monsters like Gogmazios or Dah'ren I kinda want to try it.

Not sure what to go for, which skills, which armor, etc.
For pierce shot, something like the Destiny's Arm (from Crimson Fatalis) or Gravios Gigacannon work really well. The Gravios gun is especially good for Dah'ren Mohran because he's usually a big stationary punching bag; just go into crouching fire and unload on him. The Destiny's Arm is better for things that you might have to chase down because its reload speed and clip sizes are so much better.

But for both of those guns, you'll need a recoil level of "Some" in order to fire off pierce shots without recoil. That means the Recoil Down +1 skill is a necessity. The Pierce Up skill is also really valuable because it's a straight-up 10% damage boost to all your shots. So you're looking at sets like Grand Mutsu/Amagi, Garuga X, or some Grand Epoch mix.

For normal shot, the Livid Griscannon (from Molten Tigrex) really shines. Big clip sizes, positive affinity, and hits like a truck. Normal shots are unaffected by recoil level, so the Normal Up skill is your only necessity. Just pile on more damage skills like Attack Up, Critical Eye or Challenger. I've got Brachydios/Brachydium mixes for this.

For a bit of both, the Furia Sedition (from Seregios) also works well. You'll need Recoil Down +2 to use it with pierce shot, but its clip sizes are decent with the limiter off and its unique reload-on-roll feature comes in handy in a lot of situations.

And finally, your walking speed while unsheathed is going to be really slow. It's invaluable to have either Evade Extender or Fleet Feet to compensate. You can cover a lot more ground by extending the length of your rolls and it also doubles as a skill to avoid attacks. It's a must-have skill I have on nearly all my HBG sets.

Holy crap, playing LS and IG are totally different versus playing heavy weapons like hammers and greatswords.

I...I can't get used to the fast speeds!

Holy crap, playing LS and IG are totally different versus playing heavy weapons like hammers and greatswords.

I've been using LS since MH2 and I have to say the addition of the rush-back-in slash after fading slash in this game is the GREATEST FUCKING THING EVER. I feel like I'm in constant motion. Fuck Brachy being like a boxer. I'M a boxer with an LS. Dancing under Gores and Shaggies and they just can't get a bead on me.

Shengar

Exactly! Felt like no time at all. Lots of time to crack jokes and tell stories during the huge time sink that is Lao Shan. We didn't have voice chat, so we just used speaker phone. Or sometimes we'd all bring our consoles to one person's house and do it like that.
Yeah with friends especially playing locally you can laugh directly at stupid stuffs that happened during the hunts. 3 of your friends got drop you want but you don't, or getting kickstarted to combo'd of death by Rhenoplos, stuffs like that. See it that way, we can see why MHP2 become a huge hit and cultural phenomenon in Japan.

Gotta go fast!

I've been using LS since MH2 and I have to say the addition of the rush-back-in slash after fading slash in this game is the GREATEST FUCKING THING EVER. I feel like I'm in constant motion. Fuck Brachy being like a boxer. I'M a boxer with an LS. Dancing under Gores and Shaggies and they just can't get a bead on me.

Almost every time I fight Brachy with the fellow GAF hunters, I put on Little Mac's theme from Super Smash Bros.

Shengar

I just watched GH's CB tutorial and holy crap if this is the 90's someone will make 100 pages illustrated guide for that weapon alone.

I just watched GH's CB tutorial and holy crap if this is the 90's someone will make 100 pages illustrated guide for that weapon alone.

Yeah. That's why I absolutely refused to switch weapons until I felt as comfortable with every CB mechanic as the other weapons I know how to use. The difference between how I use CB now and how I used it in week 1 is... man, I wouldn't have wanted to hunt with me.

Fatalis is such an odd fight. Shengar, how can one tell when he's enraged? I tried to cut the tail but the bloody thing kept bouncing me.

He moves faster when he's angry. It's almost unnatural the way his body slithers/twitches when he's enraged. If you're melee'ing, just stay behind his hind legs at all times (left or right, it doesn't matter) and you're safe from like, 90% of his attacks. Incidentally, the same works on Crimson Fatalis, but you need to hug it even tighter and watch the meteors.

Someone correct me if i am wrong. But you can't cut fatalis tail. Its such a long tail too.

Yeah, I didn't think you could. You can break his eye, horn, and i think wound his chest, but that's it, right?

tuffy

Yeah, I didn't think you could. You can break his eye, horn, and i think wound his chest, but that's it, right?
There's no tail break or carve reward for it, so it seems it isn't. I can't find any numbers on his hitzones so I'm not sure if it's a good target for that matter.

Kater

Banned
Have Evade Extender skill for mobility. I think that skill is a must for HBG that isn't using any shield.
Huh, think I actually have a charm with a couple of points towards that skill. Might see if I can use that one in a set. Thanks for the tip. :)

Although... wouldn't a shield be a requirement for when you want guard for monsters like Molten Tigrex for example?

For pierce shot, something like the Destiny's Arm (from Crimson Fatalis) or Gravios Gigacannon work really well. The Gravios gun is especially good for Dah'ren Mohran because he's usually a big stationary punching bag; just go into crouching fire and unload on him. The Destiny's Arm is better for things that you might have to chase down because its reload speed and clip sizes are so much better.

But for both of those guns, you'll need a recoil level of "Some" in order to fire off pierce shots without recoil. That means the Recoil Down +1 skill is a necessity. The Pierce Up skill is also really valuable because it's a straight-up 10% damage boost to all your shots. So you're looking at sets like Grand Mutsu/Amagi, Garuga X, or some Grand Epoch mix.
Oh, I actually saw that mentioned in one of the tutorials I watched from GH. Pierce 1 has lower recoil, but Pierce 2 has a high recoil and requires the skill you mentioned, right?

And then there's also Pierce 3 which I would assume also requires it since it has even a higher number. Although it is only useful against really big monsters and you have to see that every shot connects or else it's weaker than Pierce 2 if I remember correctly.

For normal shot, the Livid Griscannon (from Molten Tigrex) really shines. Big clip sizes, positive affinity, and hits like a truck. Normal shots are unaffected by recoil level, so the Normal Up skill is your only necessity. Just pile on more damage skills like Attack Up, Critical Eye or Challenger. I've got Brachydios/Brachydium mixes for this.
That sounds indeed pretty nice, yeah. Against which monsters would such a weapon be recommended?
For a bit of both, the Furia Sedition (from Seregios) also works well. You'll need Recoil Down +2 to use it with pierce shot, but its clip sizes are decent with the limiter off and its unique reload-on-roll feature comes in handy in a lot of situations.
Oh, so it has a unique feature like that. I was wondering that, since other Seregios weapons (the melee weapons) have the "evade roll to sharpen" which obviously are of no use on ranged weapns. ^^ But that does sound good. Plus I already have a lot of High Rank and G-Rank Seregios parts.
And finally, your walking speed while unsheathed is going to be really slow. It's invaluable to have either Evade Extender or Fleet Feet to compensate. You can cover a lot more ground by extending the length of your rolls and it also doubles as a skill to avoid attacks. It's a must-have skill I have on nearly all my HBG sets.
Have to look up both and how they work. So far I only used Evasion + so I really don't know how much different the game plays with these skills.

Oh, and another question. What is the Crag ammo for, besides stunning enemies? Does it also break parts more easily?

And finally, thanks for all the advise. It's very much appreciated!

IG is so much fun. You can mount anywhere, just like the Lance and you can dodge stuff like Najarala's attack when they circle around you only to strike them directly into their face.

tariniel

Shagaru 130+ GQ's are probably the hardest thing in this game. The random explosions spawn and explode insanely fast. I ran up and started a running attack, and one popped underneath me as I hit the monster, and exploded before I could roll. After I got up, I hit the button to sheathe my weapon so I could heal, and while in the sheath animation, another pops right under my feet and explodes before the sheath animation finished. Dead.

I'll fight Apex Rajang over that any day.

co1onel

Well my kirin relic set still has two glowy parts but at this point I don't care enough to keep farming it. I think I'm done farming these guild quests. I just wanna play with them and help out other people now. Still need to get some more caravan points to fully upgrade the defenses.

zlCfzTZax80QYugWi7
zlCfzTZa0G4Ys7TETz

zlCfzTZa6WcECdKa1L

Well my kirin relic set still has two glowy parts but at this point I don't care enough to keep farming it. I think I'm done farming these guild quests. I just wanna play with them and help out other people now. Still need to get some more caravan points to fully upgrade the defenses.

Looking good. :D

tuffy

Huh, think I actually have a charm with a couple of points towards that skill. Might see if I can use that one in a set. Thanks for the tip. :)

Although... wouldn't a shield be a requirement for when you want guard for monsters like Molten Tigrex for example?
I find a shield comes in handy situationally. Dodging the hit is better than blocking the hit. But if you're having trouble getting out of the way (a big problem with M.Tigrex because he's so wide), blocking the hit is better than taking the hit. For stuff like Gravios beams, Guard Up is necessary.
Oh, I actually saw that mentioned in one of the tutorials I watched from GH. Pierce 1 has lower recoil, but Pierce 2 has a high recoil and requires the skill you mentioned, right?

And then there's also Pierce 3 which I would assume also requires it since it has even a higher number. Although it is only useful against really big monsters and you have to see that every shot connects or else it's weaker than Pierce 2 if I remember correctly.
All levels of pierce need a recoil level of "Some" to fire without recoil. Somewhat nonintuitive, but true. But you're correct, higher levels of pierce are more effective against bigger (or longer) monsters. Getting 3 hitzones in a row for pierce 1 is pretty common, but getting all 5 for pierce 3 often means going head-to-tail if your target isn't super huge like Mohran.
That sounds indeed pretty nice, yeah. Against which monsters would such a weapon be recommended?
I like to bring normal shots to smallish targets like Rajang and Teostra. Teostra's tail takes an enormous amount of shot damage and half the time I'm facing him to the sides where pierce shot wouldn't be as effective. But if I keep pounding his tail with normal shot all the damage goes into the single hit and I get flinches constantly.
Oh, so it has a unique feature like that. I was wondering that, since other Seregios weapons (the melee weapons) have the "evade roll to sharpen" which obviously are of no use on ranged weapns. ^^ But that does sound good. Plus I already have a lot of High Rank and G-Rank Seregios parts.

Have to look up both and how they work. So far I only used Evasion + so I really don't know how much different the game plays with these skills.
Here's an obligatory video of the Seregios HBG against Shagaru Magala to get an idea on how it works in practice.

I've gotten so used to the added distance of Evade Extender that it's strange whenever I go without it!
Oh, and another question. What is the Crag ammo for, besides stunning enemies? Does it also break parts more easily?
Crag is also good for breaking parts, yes. It's basically a long range barrel bomb. You shoot it, it sticks to the target for a moment, then explodes for a fixed amount of damage.
And finally, thanks for all the advise. It's very much appreciated!
Glad I could be of help!

Shengar

Yeah. That's why I absolutely refused to switch weapons until I felt as comfortable with every CB mechanic as the other weapons I know how to use. The difference between how I use CB now and how I used it in week 1 is... man, I wouldn't have wanted to hunt with me.
I think I might take the same route. The skill set that Brachydium set gives really work in tandem with Brachy CB, so it's a good invesment still. It just I should wait for my final to be over until I can focus my effort on learning CB without distraction.
Fatalis is such an odd fight. Shengar, how can one tell when he's enraged? I tried to cut the tail but the bloody thing kept bouncing me.
You can't cut that tail. Only head, eye, and its chest that's breakable.
Shagaru 130+ GQ's are probably the hardest thing in this game. The random explosions spawn and explode insanely fast. I ran up and started a running attack, and one popped underneath me as I hit the monster, and exploded before I could roll. After I got up, I hit the button to sheathe my weapon so I could heal, and while in the sheath animation, another pops right under my feet and explodes before the sheath animation finished. Dead.

I'll fight Apex Rajang over that any day.

Yeah it is, which is why I always use mobile weapon against it so I can keep moving and avoiding from being blasted by the stupid random explosion. My rule of thumb is that always wait for a explosion to brew under your feet before attacking. It still possible that a second blast occur, but that is extremely (and ultra annoying too).

It's a HR7 quest, Advanced Stormy Knight. It's a Kushala Daora fight that requires HR20.

As for repelling, doesn't seem like there is much information on it when I look. Some seem to think it's like at the 20 min mark if it's lower than a specific amount it flees, otherwise it will stay for the full 35 even if you get it to 1%. I don't know how accurate that is, but based on what you are saying it sounds like it may be true, if around mid way you hadn't really done much damage, but piled on towards the end, maybe there is a "time check" if you will. Something like at X Time, if monsters HP is below Y, it flees.
Would Reaper's Stroke (the fully upgraded Nerscylla Insect Glaive) work? I just found out the G Rank Silver Rathalos isn't available yet.

dumb question, but how does one take in-game screenshots? unless that's not an option?

also, went back to grinding through Caravan quests since my HR5 gear is making them pretty easy.

brau

dumb question, but how does one take in-game screenshots? unless that's not an option?

also, went back to grinding through Caravan quests since my HR5 gear is making them pretty easy.

I don't think this is a thing. Maybe if you are playing solo you can go to miiverse and post a screen.

tuffy

I don't think this is a thing. Maybe if you are playing solo you can go to miiverse and post a screen.
That's what I've done. Posted to Miiverse, downloaded the image from Miiverse's website and re-hosted it. A bit convoluted, certainly.

brau

That's what I've done. Posted to Miiverse, downloaded the image from Miiverse's website and re-hosted it. A bit convoluted, certainly.

ugh... i wish it was as easy as the Vita. Took so many pictures on my vita while playing games.

Miiverse, as much as i love the community, it sucks how long it takes to post something.

co1onel

Aaaaaaaand finally!
Woohoo! :D

Now let's watch as I get no good charms from gathering expeditions whatsoever. xD

Personally I think farming for charms is a waste of time. Getting the exact charm you want has next to a zero percent chance of happening. It's better to just play high level guild quests and you'll eventually come across some good charms, and the good part is killing actual monsters is more fun than mining the same spots over and over.

Yrael

I'm too lazy to do that - I just take a photo of the screen and upload it straight to imgur.

Personally I think farming for charms is a waste of time. Getting the exact charm you want has next to a zero percent chance of happening. It's better to just play high level guild quests and you'll eventually come across some good charms, and the good part is killing actual monsters is more fun than mining the same spots over and over.

Eh, it's something to do while watching TV, heh. I usually manage to get quite a good number of ores and weapons that I can sell for easy zenny at the same time.

Rawk Hawk

Would Reaper's Stroke (the fully upgraded Nerscylla Insect Glaive) work? I just found out the G Rank Silver Rathalos isn't available yet.

I would think anything would work really, I'm not familiar with IG's myself, but if you are in rank appropriate gear it should be possible. Even the online quests done solo have less HP than when done with a group, so it should be possible. May just need to be on the offensive more to get enough hits in. For the most part I've done all my online stuff with a group, only soloing them once I'm beyond their level and just clearing them out (like I'm currently doing with HR online stuff in my G gear).

I know there is a video I saw once of an IG dropping lv140 Teo in like 12 minutes or something, no shame in looking up a video of someone soloing stuff to see their tactics.

Edit: false information striked out, thanks Amethyst for the correction!

I would think anything would work really, I'm not familiar with IG's myself, but if you are in rank appropriate gear it should be possible. Even the online quests done solo have less HP than when done with a group, so it should be possible. May just need to be on the offensive more to get enough hits in. For the most part I've done all my online stuff with a group, only soloing them once I'm beyond their level and just clearing them out (like I'm currently doing with HR online stuff in my G gear).

I know there is a video I saw once of an IG dropping lv140 Teo in like 12 minutes or something, no shame in looking up a video of someone soloing stuff to see their tactics.
Thanks, but I just killed it in one round! Poison Negate let me be more aggressive than the first time. I didn't know online monsters had less hp when soloed, either.

Rawk Hawk

FYI, this bit is incorrect.

It is? I always was under the impression if you did guild hall stuff offline it had less HP then when done online? Like the same monster would have for example: 1,000 HP in Village, 1,200 Offline Gathering Hall and 1,300 Online Gathering Hall.

Edit: online searches seem to suggest Amethyst is correct, it's the same regardless if you are solo or not, I've been living a lie! Strike out added here as well to prevent misinformation.

It is? I always was under the impression if you did guild hall stuff offline it had less HP then when done online? Like the same monster would have for example: 1,000 HP in Village, 1,200 Offline Gathering Hall and 1,300 Online Gathering Hall.

Edit: online searches seem to suggest Amethyst is correct, it's the same regardless if you are solo or not, I've been living a lie!

What? No wonder it feels like how some of the monsters take forever to kill, yet with other players it feels like only 5 minutes have passed.

Beats

some solo vids:

Charge Blade:
Lvl 140 Oroshi Kirin 7'56"60

Heavy Bowgun:
G-Rank Gold Rathian 6'31

Hunting Horn:
G-Rank Stygian Zinogre 6'12"36

Bow:
G-Rank Kushala Daora 6'25"73
Raging Brachydios 6'07
G-Rank Shagaru Magala 5'59"96
There's a bunch of Bow videos on jellyppi1004's channel.

Gunlance:
G-Rank Stygian Zinogre 6'25
G-Rank Gore Magala 5'50

Lance:
G-Rank Rathian 1'53 - Basically stunlocks it by hitting only the head lol.

Triple Tigrex Arena Quest 5'24''20 - Not a solo video, but still cool. They both use the hammer set here.

Not sure what to look for to find SnS videos. : <

tuffy

I love this one. That's exactly how I bowgun everything (though not quite as well, yet). Find the best shot target available - in G.Rathian's case the legs - and just keep pounding away at it using the 1st-person scope for aiming. Being consistently on-target with hitzones and distance makes a big difference in hunt times and ammo consumption.

brau

Are you familiar with guard pointing? I assume that's what you mean, any way. I didn't watch the whole video. Just got the gist of what his strategy was.

I know how to guard point. But he is going from a parry into a full on charge hit. Never thought of that.

Top Bottom