• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Wanderer5

Thanks for that Chameleos run earlier. I still quite bewilder that I now have 4 elder dragon gems lol. Just need one more large elder dragon bone for his set.

115h in and just discovered that you can change any armor's color. Nerscylla set in black looks badass!

There some armor that only changes the color of some of the smaller details sadly heh. I like the Nerscyalla duo armors for the fact that you can change the bulk of the armor's color.

Yrael

I miss hunting online. :( My stupid internet...

In the meantime, I upgraded my charmer set, so now it has Divine Whim in addition to Charm God, Gathering God and Speed Gathering. I managed to get an Evade Dist +8 OO charm last night. Woo.

co1onel

I don't think this has been posted yet, but here's a really good bow video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enx_rDoWngA

Kills a lv140 shagaru in about 4 minutes, solo. Not only does it show how much of a damage dealer the bow is in this game, but it also shows that spread/elemental bow is not only viable, its extremely good. The relic bow he's using isn't even max raw. Really shows the kama sedition isn't the only bow worth using.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think this has been posted yet, but here's a really good bow video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enx_rDoWngA

Kills a lv140 shagaru in about 4 minutes, solo. Not only does it show how much of a damage dealer the bow is in this game, but it also shows that spread/elemental bow is not only viable, its extremely good. The relic bow he's using isn't even max raw. Really shows the kama sedition isn't the only bow worth using.

The only thing I could pay attention to was that health bar. Did anyone ever tell her she's allowed to use potions? I almost had a goddamn heart attack.

Only assisting host with killing Diablos and B. Diablos for hardhorns, cortex, etc.

Hall ID: 06-0946-5915-8923
P/w: 0327

2 spots open, again mainly for Diablos and possible Deviljho.

Renewed

Apex Diablos event quest is a joke.... can't even last 3 minutes and not even getting into Apex form before it's over. Plus a Zenith gem every time? Can Capcom make changes to the quests? I'm gonna abuse this but I still feel bad.

I don't know if I'm starting to fall out with the game or something, but man am I just not feeling the hunt lately. I've done every weapon type now, and all I see in front of me is grind hoping for the 2% drops. =/

tuffy

Where do I farm for Armor Stones? Need them to make Tru Armor Sphere.
Unfortunately, the only option is to farm the low rank Dah'ren Mohran event quest and hope to get some Armor Stones in the rewards. An easier method to get True Armor Spheres directly is to polish and trade in high rank relics (rarity 7, perhaps?) for points.

Unfortunately, the only option is to farm the low rank Dah'ren Mohran event quest and hope to get some Armor Stones in the rewards. An easier method to get True Armor Spheres directly is to polish and trade in high rank relics (rarity 7, perhaps?) for points.

Oh..I can do this? I've got a few rare 7 relics that I don't want. Which NPC do I talk to trade in the rare 7 relics for armor stones?

Wolfe

Also GQ of a certain level range have a chance to drop them, I can't remember the exact range but I know it's around 100.

Got one last night doing a GQ with some Gaffers.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing I could pay attention to was that health bar. Did anyone ever tell her she's allowed to use potions? I almost had a goddamn heart attack.
Yup that's heroics

I did a heroics s.zin run in mh3u once lol (not with proper armor nor as a speed run)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YHwF24cwfk

Was trying out solo speedrunning 140 rajang a while back for mh4u but took a break from the game before I got my times decent (also don't have 3ds recording equipment anyways)

Wanderer5

Whew well that is done armor wise. Still probably want to mess around with the jewels.
20150607182827_zpsqac06ltk.jpg

20150607182915_zpswimambgc.jpg

Damnnit Miiverse for not working with this game on the regular 3DS.

Apex Diablos event quest is a joke.... can't even last 3 minutes and not even getting into Apex form before it's over. Plus a Zenith gem every time? Can Capcom make changes to the quests? I'm gonna abuse this but I still feel bad.

I should get around doing that quest.:p Need them zenith gems.

PrankT

I don't know if I'm starting to fall out with the game or something, but man am I just not feeling the hunt lately. I've done every weapon type now, and all I see in front of me is grind hoping for the 2% drops. =/
That's definitely the worst part of the game. Nothing should be less than 10-20% drop rate.

Shengar

I have fullset of Grand Mizuha, Kushala, Empress, and Kaiser, 7 elder dragon weapons, and there are 5 another gems in the reserve. Don't know if I'm very lucky with Lrg Elder Drgn Gem drops or gem drops isn't actually that rare since it can be dropped by three different elder dragon. If you break all the parts (very hard for the case of Chameleos tail, which is problematic since it yield the highest LEDG carved chance for it) and pick all shinies, I don't think the chance are that miniscule. Just remember to rotate evenly between the three elder dragons to keep the battle fresh.

Also elder dragon weapons is not necessity. There are many rarity 9 weapon that very viable for end game hunting. Elder dragon weapon is more like a luxury and a good non-GQ endgame target, but don't think of them as an absolute must have.

upandaway

Wait what, are Large Elder Dragon Gems that bad? I got 3 so far without really doing anything aside from progressing through G Rank.

I'd trade one of these gems for a rusted lance :(

edit: let's see... I put one to the Chameleos GS so I have 2 left. I need 1 for the True Ruiner Lance and actually that's it. Doesn't seem so bad.

Depends on what you want to make, and a lot of the stuff I want to make needs the gem/other rate drops. I could deal with 5%, it's the things less than that which drive me batty.

Wanderer5

Depends on what you want to make, and a lot of the stuff I want to make needs the gem/other rate drops. I could deal with 5%, it's the things less than that which drive me batty.

Maybe the more you want to make it, the less likely the stuff you need will come to you.:p There probably a similar saying or such heh, but I feel that what happen to me with trying to look more into Brachydios stuff.XD

RNGsus sure works in mysterious ways.

Maybe the more you want to make it, the less likely the stuff you need will come to you.:p There probably a similar saying or such heh, but I feel that what happen to me with trying to look more into Brachydios stuff.XD

All hail the RNG!

Wiseblade

Yeah, it's almost as if the game can sense what you desire the most and deny it to you.

Wanderer5

"Since you hate the Black Gravios so much Wanderer, I going to give you its pallium, while tough luck on something you really want like the one for Brachy!"

Now here I am with the elder dragon gems that I didn't originally look into getting, through these unexpected RNG can sure bring new good/interesting opportunities. And now comes the fear of trying to push my luck.XD

Wolfe

I almost forgot how fun it is to solo 140 GQs!

Oh wait no it's not, it's just the randoms I keep getting leave after a death or whatever and I'm too stubborn to abandon the quest lol.

It's the Desire Sensor of course, but I do wish the game could feed a little more positive reinforcement my way. I've tried to not host rooms not only because of my internet issues, but also because I feel like being passive will let me get those rare carves without me really realizing it. If I hunt without looking for something, then it's all the more pleasant a surprise. But this presents a problem in the game's design, as you don't really gain anything to your armor/weapons by hunting. There's no XP gain, no additional slots unlocked, nothing like that.

I wish there was a way to customize the character and flip genders. I know that's a weird thought but I was looking at the EX Escadora set for the female hunter, and with the bouffy hairdoo... Just something aesthetically different without me needing to do the grind all over again.

Wolfe

It's the Desire Sensor of course, but I do wish the game could feed a little more positive reinforcement my way. I've tried to not host rooms not only because of my internet issues, but also because I feel like being passive will let me get those rare carves without me really realizing it. If I hunt without looking for something, then it's all the more pleasant a surprise. But this presents a problem in the game's design, as you don't really gain anything to your armor/weapons by hunting. There's no XP gain, no additional slots unlocked, nothing like that.

I wish there was a way to customize the character and flip genders. I know that's a weird thought but I was looking at the EX Escadora set for the female hunter, and with the bouffy hairdoo... Just something aesthetically different without me needing to do the grind all over again.

I hear ya and understand where you're coming from. For me, even though I'm still looking for certain items (relics, LEDG, Zeniths, spheres etc for the most part) I'm not playing the game because of them. Most hunts are still a blast and I get such a kick from playing well during a hunt that I'm not surprised I've put so many hours into the game so far. Even when it comes to weapons I'm still totally absorbed into the CB, my weapon chart on my guild card looks silly with my CB hunts at around 1400 while next highest is hammer at 300.

I easily see myself still playing this up until X comes out, although I imagine a lot less than I do now lol.

Try shifting your focus and finding another angle for enjoyment maybe? Hell I rarely made mixed sets but I've still spent a ton of time trying out different mix set combinations until I find ones I like/can work with (just an example).

Edit: on your last bit about swapping genders I actually wouldn't mind for more variation in armor skins. I like how the Relics have 3-4 different skins yet hate the method for which to obtain them, if the normal armor had multiple skin options when crafting that would be neat. Maybe even different skins requiring slightly different mats, I dunno somethin. Also with the amount of bikini/cleavage female armors you'd think they'd have more Dober style male armor (why isn't there a G rank Dober? or is that stuck in Relics?). I'm not into the scantily clad style armors but it seems silly to have so many of the female armors be like that when pretty much all the male armor is rough tough absorb a ton of damage looking armor.

Try shifting your focus and finding another angle for enjoyment maybe? Hell I rarely made mixed sets but I've still spent a ton of time trying out different mix set combinations until I find ones I like/can work with (just an example).

The problem I personally run into is that I want to min/max real badly. I want those dual stat skills like Honed blade or Benediction and I don't like to settle for stage one of something like Earplugs or Constitution. I got really annoyed by the game today when I was trying to replicate Gaijinhunter's LS set (Honed Blade, Focus, Evasion+1, Razor Sharp) but I am literally one point of focus away from being able to do this build, which means that the only real option for an LS with that particular set of skills is the Parazagged Edge (I need three slots in the weapon to make up for the one extra slot occupied by a Focus gem).

By the way, minor aside but the Miralis legs offer the same contribution to Honed Blade as Rath legs do, but with better defense.

Edit: on your last bit about swapping genders I actually wouldn't mind for more variation in armor skins. I like how the Relics have 3-4 different skins yet hate the method for which to obtain them, if the normal armor had multiple skin options when crafting that would be neat. Maybe even different skins requiring slightly different mats, I dunno somethin.

It's sort of why I like Warframe so much. Yeah there's dickloads of grind and arguably it's worse there than in a lot of games, but you also have a massive array of ways to customize just about everything in the game that you own. Your character's colors, some components of their armor, attachments to the character, companion details, the color and design of the outside of your ship, the interior of your ship, hell, you can color your guns however you damn well please.

I'd be happier with an option to just swap the design as you please (Have an A,B,C option in the armor settings like the color choice settings), but I could get the reason for doing it the way you suggested. Even some basic armor color customization would be a boon, rather than a single part of the armor.

I'm not into the scantily clad style armors but it seems silly to have so many of the female armors be like that when pretty much all the male armor is rough tough absorb a ton of damage looking armor.

I think that's got to be rooted in some kind of culture thing, I don't know. A lot of games have started to move away from that gradually, but it's persisting too well.

Maybe all of this is a sign that I'm burning out on it. Same thing with Warframe and TF2, I've sort of done everything to an extent and even though I could get into the more nuanced skills (perfect guard-pointing in CBs, for example; or upgrading all my armor fully), it's just so tiring. The stuff I want is locked away behind impossible drops, and general hunting just isn't cutting it for me. I do have to admit that I had a grand amount of fun on Saturday with ya'll (I think it was Tuffy and Jeff?) fighting the Gore for the Namura weapon, because we stunlocked the hell out of it.

The DLC sort of helps. Offering new beasties in new ranks is fun, and the themed quests are generally interesting. I loved the Metroid ones just by design, for example. I just wish they would release the monsters that we're missing in particular ranks, so that we can actually have access to everything. I don't know if it's intentional to spread these things out month to month, but they really should have filled the gaps better, or made the Wycoon offer parts for those missing ranks until the monsters became available.

Yrael

This made me laugh so much. Effing konchu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ALQCWUlinM

Edit: on your last bit about swapping genders I actually wouldn't mind for more variation in armor skins. I like how the Relics have 3-4 different skins yet hate the method for which to obtain them, if the normal armor had multiple skin options when crafting that would be neat. Maybe even different skins requiring slightly different mats, I dunno somethin. Also with the amount of bikini/cleavage female armors you'd think they'd have more Dober style male armor (why isn't there a G rank Dober? or is that stuck in Relics?). I'm not into the scantily clad style armors but it seems silly to have so many of the female armors be like that when pretty much all the male armor is rough tough absorb a ton of damage looking armor.

Yes, this puts me off a lot of the female armours. :/

Wolfe

The problem I personally run into is that I want to min/max real badly. I want those dual stat skills like Honed blade or Benediction and I don't like to settle for stage one of something like Earplugs or Constitution. I got really annoyed by the game today when I was trying to replicate Gaijinhunter's LS set (Honed Blade, Focus, Evasion+1, Razor Sharp) but I am literally one point of focus away from being able to do this build, which means that the only real option for an LS with that particular set of skills is the Parazagged Edge (I need three slots in the weapon to make up for the one extra slot occupied by a Focus gem).

By the way, minor aside but the Miralis legs offer the same contribution to Honed Blade as Rath legs do, but with better defense.

I hear ya, even though I'm not worried about min maxing (part of why I have so few mixed sets compared to full) I feel the same way about tiered skills like earplugs and wind resist. And believe me when I saw that feeling stuck with the crimson fatalis CB for a good chunk of my sets (due to the 3 sockets) kind of annoys me. I enjoy the large amount of equipment we can select from in MH and enjoy changing my equip up depending on varrying factors. It sucks that I sometimes feel like I'm just waiting for better charms so I can finally start using more of my weapons more frequently lol.

As for the dual skills I'm getting more and more interested in building a few relic sets and along with Rebellion I really want to get the Demascus armor. Looking for specific skills on pieces likely is not going to be fun :p I need to farm some more guild quests (because I also ran out of caravan points) so I can level them while playing with gaf, randoms are too hit or miss. Usually miss in my experience.

But like I said that stuff doesn't get to me much as long as I'm just enjoying playing.

It's sort of why I like Warframe so much. Yeah there's dickloads of grind and arguably it's worse there than in a lot of games, but you also have a massive array of ways to customize just about everything in the game that you own. Your character's colors, some components of their armor, attachments to the character, companion details, the color and design of the outside of your ship, the interior of your ship, hell, you can color your guns however you damn well please.

I'd be happier with an option to just swap the design as you please (Have an A,B,C option in the armor settings like the color choice settings), but I could get the reason for doing it the way you suggested. Even some basic armor color customization would be a boon, rather than a single part of the armor.

That last bit reminded me about armors (Molten Tigrex and Dala being good examples) that have the tiniest bit of areas affected by changing the color, every time I see that I can't help but think "what's the point...". Can't understand the reasoning behind that stuff, you give the player options but then restrict them in certain instances for no apparent reason?

I think that's got to be rooted in some kind of culture thing, I don't know. A lot of games have started to move away from that gradually, but it's persisting too well.

Yeah change takes time.

Edit: I agree that the DLC helps a lot and yeah I wish they hadn't locked base game G monsters behind DLC as it sucks to feel like you can't use a weapon for end game content due to it missing an upgrade. I haven't touched my Gold Rath CB in what feels like forever and feel glad I randomly caught someone posting Silver Rath DLC before I even knew people had it so that I could finish off that CB. I mean shit like GX Hunter or FF armor I can understand but if I can make Gold Rath high rank gear I expect to be able to make the G rank too when I get there. Not wait an unknown number of months to finally get an armor/weapon upgrades I might not even care to use anymore given I could be decked out in relics or something.

I guess I just want the gear to be something I consider useful and look forward to getting instead of being another "collection" item like most of the HR ones (Link, uniqlo, rare 7 weapons) which I figure will happen if too much time passes before we get those corresponding monsters.

Wanderer5

Aurous armor, where you can only change the colors of the really tiny square designs on the waist.

Well ending the night with adding evasion +1 to the Chameleos armor along with upgrading each piece a few levels and crafting the Belobog's Scythe.

Shengar

While many the female armor is scantily, the male armor is too bulky for its own good though. I kinda don't like it in 3U where my hunter feels like faceless space marine. And that's the problem with male armor too where they don't give your room for personality. Many male armor used mask compared to their female counterpart like the Rath Soul Z. I kinda hoped that they give less masked helmet for the male sets in the future.
Aurous armor, where you can only change the colors of the really tiny square designs on the waist.

Well ending the night with adding evasion +1 to the Chameleos armor along with upgrading each piece a few levels and crafting the Belobog's Scythe.

Grand Mizuha, Selene/Helios, and Sororal/Ace armor set is amazing due to the fact that their customizable armor pigment is huge part of the armor color scheme or visually noticeable. Even small, but noticeable part like Rath Soul Z set is good enough.

Wanderer5

While many the female armor is scantily, the male armor is too bulky for its own good though. I kinda don't like it in 3U where my hunter feels like faceless space marine. And that's the problem with male armor too where they don't give your room for personality. Many male armor used mask compared to their female counterpart like the Rath Soul Z. I kinda hoped that they give less masked helmet for the male sets in the future.

Grand Mizuha, Selene/Helios, and Sororal/Ace armor set is amazing due to the fact that their customizable armor pigment is huge part of the armor color scheme or visually noticeable. Even small, but noticeable part like Rath Soul Z set is good enough.

Nerscylla duo too. I dig Grand Mizuha a lot, despite the lack of the mage hat heh, but I like the ninja like helm too, and works well with the hairstyle I picked for my char.

Also lamo this is great.

Renoir

Whew well that is done armor wise. Still probably want to mess around with the jewels.
20150607182827_zpsqac06ltk.jpg

20150607182915_zpswimambgc.jpg

Damnnit Miiverse for not working with this game on the regular 3DS.

I should get around doing that quest.:p Need them zenith gems.

I made this except the arms.. Not using my "precious" for it. Black belt vambrace is my savior.

Wolfe

I agree with this, some of my favorite looking armors are a lot less bulky such as Ace, Nargacuga and GX Hunter.

Another one it works well on is the Metroid armor. Fighting a tough monster and need to power up? Toss some purple on and switch into Gravity suit mode!

I have nothing to add to the armor discussion so i'll just whine about getting so many god damn Akantor gems but no Spheres.

Haha dude I have been waiting on some of those myself and every time I do a run, Akantor gem (if any). Got 7 of the things but nothing to use them on.

so I find a room for a 126+ GQ, for Rajang if I recall correctly and there were already 2 guys. Then we wait for a 4th and a RC999 shows up.

First one I meet, so I just say "hey, RC 999, grats dude!" and he goes "thanks"

We start the quest, he carts after 3 minutes and he quits the game.

Great.

Top Bottom