• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Ohnonono

Finally really picked this up again yesterday and started grinding out the single player again. When MH snags me I go nuts, played for like 4 hours in a row. I have the expedition to rescue the Ace Palico and I think that will take me to 5 star. Not sure at what point to start doing the multiplayer quests.

spiritfox

Finally really picked this up again yesterday and started grinding out the single player again. When MH snags me I go nuts, played for like 4 hours in a row. I have the expedition to rescue the Ace Palico and I think that will take me to 5 star. Not sure at what point to start doing the multiplayer quests.

You can start at any time. HR1 is basically the beginning of the game, and with equipment at your level you can solo it if you want to.

tuffy

so I find a room for a 126+ GQ, for Rajang if I recall correctly and there were already 2 guys. Then we wait for a 4th and a RC999 shows up.

First one I meet, so I just say "hey, RC 999, grats dude!" and he goes "thanks"

We start the quest, he carts after 3 minutes and he quits the game.

Great.
999s were always the ones I had to be most skeptical of back in 3 Ultimate. There were a few that actually did play the game that much. But the majority had just speedran the same quest over and over for points in order to grind their rank that high. So after awhile I started assuming someone with a 999 rank would be less skilled than someone else with half that much, until proven otherwise.

I think my best online experience with randoms so far were two guys who joined a Shah Dalamadur room, and both were named [ ]. They were awesome, and when one of them carted (as one is prone to do in the instant kill attacks) they said, "The [ ] brothers never fail!"

That's gimmicky as all hell and if it's actually a pair of brothers playing, that's great.

Ohnonono

Does anyone else have a crazy aversion to any weapon with negative affinity? I seem to always end up with the materials to make them but I just can't stand the idea of my hit doing shit for damage potentially. I use hammer mostly so when it connects it needs to be consistent!

Does anyone else have a crazy aversion to any weapon with negative affinity? I seem to always end up with the materials to make them but I just can't stand the idea of my hit doing shit for damage potentially. I use hammer mostly so when it connects it needs to be consistent!

I've got a 10% limit on everything except for the Cera Cymmetry, and any of the Chaos Magala sets since that's their gimmick.

Leezard

Not really. Fights are long, so it's the average damage that is important. Negative affinity weapons typically gain more from Expert whereas positive affinity weapons gain more from attack up, so that might be a factor. Latent power, even at rank 1, is amazing with negative affinity weapons.

Rawk Hawk

You know, I thought complaining on GAF was a full proof plan to beat the desire sensor, but still no reactor, haha. I actually caved this weekend and took down and handful of molton tigrex's to make his armor. Had most of what I needed already (all the rare stuff at least), so it was a quick way to get a hunting horn set together. Had some good hunts last night with it, as much as I liked the Gog horn, finishing up the Regios one and using it.. I can see why it's popular. Songs are great, the sound is cool, it even looks nice and comes with those ever important slots.

tuffy

Though I'd prefer it if they didn't, there's no sense in avoiding them if the math works out. A negative critical hit is only 25% less damage after all. And for something like the Destiny's Arm, there really are few alternatives in spite of its -15% affinity, so it's something I've learned to live with.

Then there's something like the Eldaora's Hornet with -50% affinity which sounds awful. But its attack power is staggeringly high to compensate, and it rapid-fires dragon shots which aren't normally affected by critical hits. So it's actually the very best at what it does.

Tom_Cody

Did "Naked and Afraid" with 3 randoms yesterday. Surprisingly easy. They really gimped those Jhos.

Now I finally have my Ceadeus Axe.

While many the female armor is scantily, the male armor is too bulky for its own good though. I kinda don't like it in 3U where my hunter feels like faceless space marine. And that's the problem with male armor too where they don't give your room for personality. Many male armor used mask compared to their female counterpart like the Rath Soul Z. I kinda hoped that they give less masked helmet for the male sets in the future.
I personally hate it when the female version of a set of armor is revealing and skimpy when the male counterpart isn't revealing. It's too sexist for my liking. Even with a male character, I won't use a set of armor if the female version is needlessly skimpy. At least in this game, it isn't nearly as bad as in Monster Hunter Frontier. I've seen a ton of images of female armor from that game that are revealing to the point of being distasteful, but hey, gotta give incentive to keep paying that monthly subscription, right?

spiritfox

While there are some revealing armors, I generally find armor in MH pretty ok. It's not as bad as some Japanese games, or even some Western games for that matter. For every Kirin armor there is stuff like Gravios or Nerscylla armor which are fine. They could do better of course, but the market is there for fanservice and they're gonna take advantage of that until the public outcry forces them to change. And the Japanese market does not seem to want to do that anytime soon.

Shengar

The likes of Kirin and Nargacuga armor is pretty. Even then, male Kirin set is as much as ridiculous as the female set and it redeemed by having a beautifully designed G Rank version. Most armor is not straight up skimpy like Nargacuga did, but rather having one or two naughty windows or bit of showing skin, like female G Rank Brachydios armor with its short skirt. But again, if we take it to much bigger picture, most functionally endgame full sets with great skill set are the ones who don't reveal anything, like Rath Soul Z, Ukanlos X, Lagiacrus X, Kushala, Grand Mizuha, and Kaiser set.

So in regard to armor design, Capcom is actually pretty cool. I just irked a little when se something like Brachydios X/Brachydium set, but it's no big deal. Now if only they give actual, useful skill set to Barioth X....

Ohnonono

Trying to think of a secondary weapon to pick up. Switch Axe or Charge Blade.... Hard to choose. I love hammer but I need something to chop parts with eventually and sometimes people hate the hammer in multi.

spiritfox

Trying to think of a secondary weapon to pick up. Switch Axe or Charge Blade.... Hard to choose. I love hammer but I need something to chop parts with eventually and sometimes people hate the hammer in multi.

Both are great weapons. SA is great for chopping tails off while CB is a great solo weapon in general, though a bit complicated. If you want to keep KO capability, Impact phial CBs do that very well too.

Also, people who hate hammers are just jealous of your golf club.

Tom_Cody

I used Bow up through the end of high rank and then took on Switch Axe as my second. In the 150 hours since then, I've barely touched the bow. I love the Switch Axe. It is a total blast to use.

Let us know if you have any questions or specific equipment questions. This thread was a great help when I switched over.

tuffy

I just want armor pieces that are stylish and can work with other armor pieces with a little careful pigment usage. Take the Grand Amagi Kote. It's a 3 slot piece with Pierce Up +2 and Recoil +3 so Athena's loves to stick it in a lot of results. But its long, white, un-pigment-able sleeves look out of place on every other set there is. It's especially disappointing because the high rank Amagi Kotes look like more conventional arm pieces and fit in much better.

Ohnonono

Both are great weapons. SA is great for chopping tails off while CB is a great solo weapon in general, though a bit complicated. If you want to keep KO capability, Impact phial CBs do that very well too.

Also, people who hate hammers are just jealous of your golf club.

lol, Hammer is always my first love. Back when I randomly picked up Freedom 2 for PSP and got the claw grip down it was the first weapon I really took to. Watched a couple videos and they both look fun. Charge Blade looks complicated but not in a bad way. I will give both a shot. May just need to see which one I can get a better one of at the moment.

For everything people say about CB being complicated, I think it's one of the most straightforward weapons to pick up the basics of.

X is your basic combo and slashes, your typical damage dealer. You use A for your special moves involving the charging mechanic of the shield. A on its own gives you a faster charge, R+A to store the charge, and X+A after that to bash with the shield.

R is the use of your shield. Block, or press it with X to switch over to axe. X is still basic chops, and A is still "special" attacks that use the phials. X+A unleashes your strongest attack. R to switch back to shield when you want.

The shield charge thing is super important though, and that's not immediately intuitive.

Another one it works well on is the Metroid armor. Fighting a tough monster and need to power up? Toss some purple on and switch into Gravity suit mode!

Haha dude I have been waiting on some of those myself and every time I do a run, Akantor gem (if any). Got 7 of the things but nothing to use them on.

Two things: 1, I wish we could have recolored more than what they allowed so that we could have had the Phazon suit and 2, Akantor gems should be outlawed by G rank >.<

Ohnonono

For everything people say about CB being complicated, I think it's one of the most straightforward weapons to pick up the basics of.

X is your basic combo and slashes, your typical damage dealer. You use A for your special moves involving the charging mechanic of the shield. A on its own gives you a faster charge, R+A to store the charge, and X+A after that to bash with the shield.

R is the use of your shield. Block, or press it with X to switch over to axe. X is still basic chops, and A is still "special" attacks that use the phials. X+A unleashes your strongest attack. R to switch back to shield when you want.

The shield charge thing is super important though, and that's not immediately intuitive.

This seemingly simple post pretty much just answered all of my questions after watching some gameplay, lol! Any suggestions for a good 5 star or lower village monster to farm for a CB?

This seemingly simple post pretty much just answered all of my questions after watching some gameplay, lol! Any suggestions for a good 5 star or lower village monster to farm for a CB?

The Gore Magala one is good, and you'll soon get to the Nerscylla quest that lets you build its CB which is really good starting out. Excellent poison damage and great sharpness even without Sharpness+1. The Seltas one is also good for giving you a defense boost.

Make sure you get the hang of charging your shield (pressing R during the wind up of the X+A big slam attack; alternatively R+A to store phials, X+A for shield bash, X+A again to go straight to the big slam and R as you wind up for it), because that boosts your guarding ability to that of a Lance and amps up your Axe damage.

Ohnonono

The Gore Magala one is good, and you'll soon get to the Nerscylla quest that lets you build its CB which is really good starting out. Excellent poison damage and great sharpness even without Sharpness+1. The Seltas one is also good for giving you a defense boost.

Make sure you get the hang of charging your shield (pressing R during the wind up of the X+A big slam attack; alternatively R+A to store phials, X+A for shield bash, X+A again to go straight to the big slam and R as you wind up for it), because that boosts your guarding ability to that of a Lance and amps up your Axe damage.

Cool thanks! I was hoping I would have a good reason to hunt Gore for a while. Seems like an interesting monster.

Debating whether to pick up Ig or SA. Those dalamadur parts need to be used somehow

Hey, you saw me foaming at the mouth for the SA. It's a great three slot weapon with a built in defense boost. The IG is featured in Gaijinhunter's best IG video, so that should say something about it. Plus I think it's the one Dalamadur weapon with purple sharpness.

I'm one fanblade+ away from making it, but I'm not needing it quite as badly as the SA. I just don't IG enough, and I have the Brachy and Crimson Fatalis IGs to satisfy my blast needs.

Ohnonono

What is the earliest sharpness + 1 set that you can get? I think Narga was the one I had in Unite, but not sure where it is in this game.

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone want to do some post Dalamadur high rank quests later? I really want to get into G rank, but some of these quests are getting to be a bit much since they're just "Do this thing that's slightly more difficult than another quest that was already in 7*". The only exception to this is Naked and Afraid which I want to solo, but I'm not grinding up to 90 to do it so I'll just have to hope something like that is in G rank.

Tom_Cody

Debating whether to pick up Ig or SA. Those dalamadur parts need to be used somehow
Join the cult.

FYI, the reddit community did their Switch Axe mega thread today. You can check there for more info.
http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/390r6m/mh4u_switch_axe_sa_mega_thread/

To respond to the Dalamadur angle, the Dalamadur Switch Axe line is pretty nice, but the Crimson Fatalis SA is the better end-game Blast Axe.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe/praying-dalamadur
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe/true-ruiners-bane

I like the idea of the SA but almost every quest i'm in with somebody using it i'm always tripped. Not sure if I should blame the weapon or the user. Or maybe me for being in the wrong place :p

Tom_Cody

I like the idea of the SA but almost every quest i'm in with somebody using it i'm always tripped. Not sure if I should blame the weapon or the user. Or maybe me for being in the wrong place :p
To speak generally, the Axe trips like crazy and Sword does not. In multi, I use the Axe when pursuing the monster and then I switch to sword when there is a crowd at the monster, like after a mount or para. Also, the sword gets natural Mind's Eye, so it's my go-to for meat grinding.

The biggest issue with the Axe is the infinite combo. It is fantastic for solo, but it renders a large zone around you uninhabitable when playing online.

It isn't hard to play respectfully with the SA. Also, TBH, my solution for dealing with other SA online is to simply avoid their geography, lol.

Damned Apex mobs. My weapons just keeps on bouncing off them. The Wystone Drive lasts only a short time...what am I suppose to do in between cooldown?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea, try not to stand near someone swinging one around. I usually try and go for a spot where no one else is when a monster trips, but there's always that one guy who runs in right next to me or in front of me and either gets tripped or launched skyward. In tight places I always switch to sword mode and just do the a+x combo into the gun blast.

Basically if you're there first it's their fault, if they're there first it's your fault.

Shengar

10 minutes of frustation after trying breaking HR Furious Rajang horn abd it reward me with horn+. Fuck this, I almost throw my 3DS in a fit of rage and I better asked the help from gaf later rather risking my 3DS life.

Beats

Damned Apex mobs. My weapons just keeps on bouncing off them. The Wystone Drive lasts only a short time...what am I suppose to do in between cooldown?

Some apex monsters depending on where you hit you won't bounce off. It's usually the spots that take a lot of cut, impact or shot damage. IIRC with Apex Seregios you can still hit the legs. I think for Apex Diablos you can hit the belly, tail and I think the neck. Not sure about the other ones.

tuffy

Anyone want to do some post Dalamadur high rank quests later? I really want to get into G rank, but some of these quests are getting to be a bit much since they're just "Do this thing that's slightly more difficult than another quest that was already in 7*". The only exception to this is Naked and Afraid which I want to solo, but I'm not grinding up to 90 to do it so I'll just have to hope something like that is in G rank.
I should be back at my 3DS in about 5 hours or so to lend a hand. I went back and soloed most of the high rank Gathering Hall quests, but a lot of the stuff in 7 star are challenge quests not really built for one person. "Advanced: Queen Slayer" and "Advanced: King Slayer" are tricky even with two people in G rank gear.
Have you unlocked the use of two Wystones yet? As long as any Wystone is active your hits keep contributing to knocking it out of Apex (though finding non-bouncy spots can be tricky without Drive). By switching from one to another I can usually keep at least one Wystone going most of the hunt.

Tom_Cody

It's arguable that the Praying Dalamadur has the better sharpness there. But yeah, Crimson's is solid.
Well, I wouldn't use the True Ruiner's Bane without Sharpness +1. With Sharpness +1 it gets some purple, whereas Praying Dalamadur can't rise above white.

Still, the Praying Dalamadur has a lot going for it. Definitely a solid general-purpose end-game Axe. My opinion is simply that True Ruiner's Bane the better Blast Axe, and there are other good Axes that serve other purposes as well.

10 minutes of frustation after trying breaking HR Furious Rajang horn abd it reward me with horn+. Fuck this, I almost throw my 3DS in a fit of rage and I better asked the help from gaf later rather risking my 3DS life.

I need three of the horn+ so i might join you and benefit on either reward. =P

Well, I wouldn't use the True Ruiner's Bane without Sharpness +1. With Sharpness +1 it gets some purple, whereas Praying Dalamadur can't rise above white.

Still, the Praying Dalamadur has a lot going for it. Definitely a solid general-purpose end-game Axe. But if you want to put in the effort to crafting a multiple axes, its usefulness diminishes.

Yeah, and the little bit of purple on the Fatalis doesn't last long at all, whereas I don't think I've needed to sharpen Praying at all since I got it. Not having purple isn't that big a deal anyway. The Dalamadur also has better raw.

Really, the greatest use of it for my SA use is the three slots it gives me, meaning I can get HG Earplugs, Evade Extender, Evasion+3, and Sharpness+1 with the mixed set I have, and Praying isn't actually available to most players.

Yea, try not to stand near someone swinging one around. I usually try and go for a spot where no one else is when a monster trips, but there's always that one guy who runs in right next to me or in front of me and either gets tripped or launched skyward. In tight places I always switch to sword mode and just do the a+x combo into the gun blast.

Basically if you're there first it's their fault, if they're there first it's your fault.
True, true. I guess it's the same with a lot of things and how you position (or in the case of a flailing monster where it lets you end up being at).

This will probably sound stupid but have you considered using speed setup for the traps to hit his head faster with? I know that's why I use Empress X against him for.

Tom_Cody

Yeah, and the little bit of purple on the Fatalis doesn't last long at all, whereas I don't think I've needed to sharpen Praying at all since I got it. Not having purple isn't that big a deal anyway. The Dalamadur also has better raw.

Really, the greatest use of it for my SA use is the three slots it gives me, meaning I can get HG Earplugs, Evade Extender, Evasion+3, and Sharpness+1 with the mixed set I have, and Praying isn't actually available to most players.
I can't really argue with that. My opinion is more that True Ruiner's Bane is the better Blast Axe (2X the blast!), and there are other good Axes that serve other purposes as well.

Having said all that, I am still G2, so I haven't crafted the ultimate version of either of those Axes. Feel free to disregard my noob nonsense, lol.

I can't really argue with that. My opinion is more that True Ruiner's Bane is the better Blast Axe (2X the blast!), and there are other good Axes that serve other purposes as well.

Having said all that, I am still G2, so I haven't crafted the ultimate version of either of those Axes. Feel free to disregard my noob nonsense, lol.

Nah, you've got good sense. It's just that as much as I love the Fatalis weapons, I'm having to sharpen them so much in fights even when I'm using them, and that really turns me off a weapon. Can't argue with how strong they are in exchange, though.

Top Bottom