• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

I must have farmed over 20 high rank Brachydios last night for the Brach Gem. Went the high rank route cause it only takes about 4-7 mins in a team.

Still no gem....fucking desire sensor.

Btw, where do I get Divine Armor Spheres? I had a few of those that I blew on maxing out defense for Ukanlos Helm X...but I don't recall where I got them from.

Kinsei

Banned
Do the trade items count for the plate, gem, and pallium awards?

I must have farmed over 20 high rank Brachydios last night for the Brach Gem. Went the high rank route cause it only takes about 4-7 mins in a team.

Still no gem....fucking desire sensor.

Btw, where do I get Divine Armor Spheres? I had a few of those that I blew on maxing out defense for Ukanlos Helm X...but I don't recall where I got them from.

You could probably do the caravan Brachydios faster. It's in the arena too so you cut out travel time.

Shengar

Those are Rusted, not Worn.
The youl should go for SA since Teostra weapon beside the SnS while rather decent, have better blast weapon to do the job. Lance in particular, have the infamous True Ruiner Lance.
Do the trade items count for the plate, gem, and pallium awards?
I don't think so as I received the reward before I made Nargacuga armor nor I trade any Ukanlos Stone for Laoshan mantle.
You could probably do the caravan Brachydios faster. It's in the arena too so you cut out travel time.

Not only that, caravan monster are quicker to kill since they have less defense/take more damage from the quest modifier.

Molten Tigrex is such a cheater. I just fought Scroll Quest Molten Tigrex and found out its level 2 rage mode deactivates the boost from Challenger+2! The boost activates for the level 1 rage mode only, and G Rank Molten Tigrex switches to its level 2 rage mode in just one hit! It also stays in level 2 rage for almost the entire battle! Apparently the game designers thought it would be a good idea to make one of the best damage boosts in the game virtually ineffective against what is essentially a hybrid between a Tigrex and a Brachydios.

Managed to kill it and get a Dire Blastheart, though, so at least there's that.

Renewed

Seems like it's gonna be a snoozefest to complete every quest unless I match my gear to the quest. Although once that's all done, I don't see anything else worth doing if my guild card isn't finished somehow.

Beats

Has anyone actually gotten a VE Cosmic Ticket?

I got a bunch partly because I play with the same people all the time.

You need to complete a lot of unique quests to start getting them though. Guild card has to be rainbow purple-ish. I think it goes from Silver > Gold > Black Serpent > White > Rainbow Purple depending on how many you've done, but I'm not 100% sure.

edit I found a picture:

1P5ZZXJ.jpg

I'm guessing you need at least 370 unique quests completed.

I wouldn't bother counting. Just keep doing unique quests until you get there. : p

Well I've gotten all the SP stuff done, basically it's anything that's a non-key quest other than various G-rank stuff.

.-.

If anyone is hosting a room for either Conquest Spheres or LEDG, I'll hop in with you.

I'm getting weirdly/unnecessarily insecure about my weapon-of-choice, the hammer! I began to broach the subject a few pages back (after discovering a reddit thread in which people were mostly trashing it), and I'm still wondering how this thing compares to everything else. I've always liked its simplicity, but does this make it generally less impressive than the use of other weapons? As someone who's new the series (and only G3) it's hard for me to judge.

I've always liked its simplicity, but does this make it generally less impressive than the use of other weapons?

No, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. It's like the people who say that playing with Evasion+3 is easymode. Hammers kick ass and a good hammer user lends themselves to stunlocking a monster and breaking everything it has. Plus there's nothing better for delivering a KO.

Beats

I'm getting weirdly/unnecessarily insecure about my weapon-of-choice, the hammer! I began to broach the subject a few pages back (after discovering a reddit thread in which people were mostly trashing it), and I'm still wondering how this thing compares to everything else. I've always liked its simplicity, but does this make it generally less impressive than the use of other weapons? As someone who's new the series (and only G3) it's hard for me to judge.

I don't use it, but it still seems pretty good and I kinda doubt it's substantially worse than the majority of the weapons in the game. I mean if you're still having fun with it keep using it.

check out these solo hammer videos:

G3 Teostra in 6'49"20

G2 Gore Magala in 6'33

G2 Shrouded Nerscylla in 3'39

jorgejjvr

I now try to challenge myself by doing the online hunts on my own. I want to see what you guys have accomplished as well, so feel free to join in. I'm casual for the most part, and don't expect myself to beat a level 140 quest on my own anytime soon. So what is the hardest online monster you've beaten solo?

Right now I've got a G rank Molten Tigrex with one faint killed in around 15 minutes

However, personally I'm more proud of killing the Caotic Gore Magala from "Wings of Woe" in around 20 minutes with one faint as well. The reason I'm more proud of this is because Wings of Woe is one of those high caliber elite quest.

I plan on trying to make hunts go faster. My next step would be an apex monster that I'll try to kill solo. My end goal is to kill something like G rank Crimson Fatalistic or Gogmazios on my own, but that is a huge stretch.

What about you guys? I'm interested to see what the toughest online G rank quests you have completed are, and how fast you've completed them!

-Alternis

spiritfox

Just use whatever you want. There are no bad weapons, just those you like (or don't). Those people are just elitists who believe that cutting seconds theoretically make them better than others.

Kinsei

Banned
I now try to challenge myself by doing the online hunts on my own. I want to see what you guys have accomplished as well, so feel free to join in. I'm casual for the most part, and don't expect myself to beat a level 140 quest on my own anytime soon. So what is the hardest online monster you've beaten solo?

Right now I've got a G rank Molten Tigrex with one faint killed in around 15 minutes

However, personally I'm more proud of killing the Caotic Gore Magala from "Wings of Woe" in around 20 minutes with one faint as well. The reason I'm more proud of this is because Wings of Woe is one of those high caliber elite quest.

I plan on trying to make hunts go faster. My next step would be an apex monster that I'll try to kill solo. My end goal is to kill something like G rank Crimson Fatalistic or Gogmazios on my own, but that is a huge stretch.

What about you guys? I'm interested to see what the toughest online G rank quests you have completed are, and how fast you've completed them!

-Alternis

In this game the hardest quest I soloed was guild hall Molten Tigrex with high rank gear. So far nothing in G rank has come close to that.

The hardest quest I've ever soloed was either Wyverns of Land and Sky (high rank Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos in the arena) with low rank gear in MHF, Four Horns (dual high rank Diablos) with low rank gear (This was the urgent to get into high rank) in MHF, or Diablos the Demon King (A quest in high rank that has a special one horned Diablos with G rank stats) with high rank gear in MHFU.

So I need to fight Rusted soon for at least 1-2 Coronas and I'm wondering, would minds eye be worth using since even with purple he's bounce city.

it sucks we wont get Pirate J armor. it got dummied out apparently which sucks because it looks so nice especially the glaive with the parrot

Gq97sdi.png

it sucks we wont get Pirate J armor. it got dummied out apparently which sucks because it looks so nice especially the glaive with the parrot

Gq97sdi.png
I still don't understand why they can't make armor for the west that has the same skills. I mean they can make generic event armor right?

Get rid of auto guard and learn to GP.

Man....one of the best parts about the Charge Blade is the Guard Point. It's becoming an addiction to me. I'll keep trying to GP and counter attack with a super burst. Sometimes it costs me more than half a life (typical in G-rank)...sometimes I get carted.

But it's so feels so good to be able to run right beneath a monster to hack away at it...then guard pointing an attack and countering with a super burst. Even monsters' roars can be GP-ed.

Rajang's Ion Cannon can't be GP-ed unless you gem for Guard Up, among others

Yes, now you can add your charm into the build. The lack of it have irked me all this time.

I use Athena's ASS instead. Is Ping Dex better?

Shengar

I use Athena's ASS instead. Is Ping Dex better?

Ping's Dex armor set builder is much, much simpler. If you really need armor set building, ASS is much more preferable. The thing with Ping Dex is that it contain many other useful information such as weapon database, armor database, monster, etc.

Ping's Dex armor set builder is much, much simpler. If you really need armor set building, ASS is much more preferable. The thing with Ping Dex is that it contain many other useful information such as weapon database, armor database, monster, etc.

Oh, now I recall. This Ping's Dex is the one on my Android cellphone! On the PC, I use Athena's ASS for armor set building.

Wolfe

No, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. It's like the people who say that playing with Evasion+3 is easymode. Hammers kick ass and a good hammer user lends themselves to stunlocking a monster and breaking everything it has. Plus there's nothing better for delivering a KO.

Well it did lose a benefit it had from 3U (KO based on sharpness from what I read, could be wrong though) and the CB can KO better now considering you can OHKO and reach higher up with said KO damage moves.

Don't get me wrong the hammer is still one of my favorite weapons and only second to CB now, but it definitely feels lacking in the upgrades department compared to some of the other weaps (to me).

Jimmy, definitely don't feel bad about rocking a hammer if you're enjoying it, I started playing 3U with the switch axe and not long after found out how much more I enjoyed playing with the hammer. I still use it and it's my 2nd most played weapon in 4U. If anything I'm just upset that it feels neglected from a gameplay standpoint but again that's just my opinion based off of my 3U playtime, as I said above if you are enjoying it then keep rockin on.

Btw evasion +3 is great, +2 is pretty worthless though :p

Gq97sdi.png

Yeah I thought that stuff looked rather cool not to mention the torso up pieces.

Renoir

Question. I'm in g3 which quest give me a black rajang to farm. So farm I got the 1 with seregios+diablos+rajang. Having those together with reduce he does go fast but it's tedious. I'm trying to farm the wild pelt and hard horn for the Nomura set.

Ohnonono

I have hammered my way through multiple games. It is an amazing weapon. Some stuff will seem really easy if you start using a weapon that has a good block though. I usually try to have a cutting weapon and a Hammer so I can cut tails by myself and break things when I need to.

Speaking of all of this. I killed Rathian a couple times and made her charge blade. Then took that and farmed Gore a few times and got my Gore CB! I need to get better for sure at the charge blade combos but I kept proceeding with quests and was killing stuff pretty good so it is going well so far! With the hammer I have used it so long I just know what combos to use when so it is jarring to try to learn something else. CB is really fun though and as said above, blocking seems broken after hammering forever.

jorgejjvr

Question. I'm in g3 which quest give me a black rajang to farm. So farm I got the 1 with seregios+diablos+rajang. Having those together with reduce he does go fast but it's tedious. I'm trying to farm the wild pelt and hard horn for the Nomura set.

As far as I know, there isn't a quest with just a regular Rajang :(

You'd have to either fight it in a guild quest or fight the Apex Rajang (I could provide you with both of those, but since you're not G crown you probably can't join an Apex hunt).

Just make a room and we'll do the guild quest!

Now, regarding Ohnonono, I was wondering why the general consensus on charge blades is to use impact Phials over elemental Phials (I ask since the Rathian CB is elemental)? Until I made the switch to use the insect glaive, all of my charge blades had elemental Phials (with the exception of the magala one since it's the only dragon one besides fatalis and you can't upgrade fatalis, as well as a blast CB I used on hunts with multiple monsters or when I didn't know of the weakness). The thing is, and what I'm wondering is, don't elemental charge blades seem extremely powerful when used appropriately against the right monster?

-Alternis

Edit: There's also the Golden Rajang, but that might also be G crown and I'm pretty sure the materials aren't the same (at the very least no wild pelt), but I could be wrong.

Now, regarding Ohnonono, I was wondering why the general consensus on charge blades is to use impact Phials over elemental Phials (I ask since the Rathian CB is elemental)? The thing is, and what I'm wondering is, don't elemental charge blades seem extremely powerful when used appropriately against the right monster?

Impact phials are better general purpose CBs that don't require nearly as much finess as the Element phials. That's why they're so often used, plus they have damage that can end up KOing a monster. However a well used Elemental phial CB can absolutely wreck a beasty, provided you apply the elemental damage to the right areas.

Ohnonono

As far as I know, there isn't a quest with just a regular Rajang :(

You'd have to either fight it in a guild quest or fight the Apex Rajang (I could provide you with both of those, but since you're not G crown you probably can't join an Apex hunt).

Just make a room and we'll do the guild quest!

Now, regarding Ohnonono, I was wondering why the general consensus on charge blades is to use impact Phials over elemental Phials (I ask since the Rathian CB is elemental)? Until I made the switch to use the insect glaive, all of my charge blades had elemental Phials (with the exception of the magala one since it's the only dragon one besides fatalis and you can't upgrade fatalis, as well as a blast CB I used on hunts with multiple monsters or when I didn't know of the weakness). The thing is, and what I'm wondering is, don't elemental charge blades seem extremely powerful when used appropriately against the right monster?

-Alternis

Edit: There's also the Golden Rajang, but that might also be G crown and I'm pretty sure the materials aren't the same (at the very least no wild pelt), but I could be wrong.

I am new to them but my impression is that both are very good. I will try to have a CB for each element and an impact one. I think the impact one is particularly good because you can topple monsters just by blocking sometimes. Again, I am very new to this so someone else might be able to answer better.

co1onel

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/391a5i/mh4u_charge_blade_phial_damage/

upandaway

To be honest I don't really get KO this gen. It requires so much work, sometimes compromising damage (with monsters that have a tough head), and it's not a significant DPS time. Even exhaust is not really worth it because by the time you get it 2 more hits bring the monster to rage mode anyway. Really the hits are better wasted on aerial attacks.

Then again I'm mostly saying this with hammer in mind. For the CB it's not really any difference trying to KO or not, and the amount of KO is crazy, so might as well.

Ohnonono

Anyone mind giving me some practical CB combos? In particular a "normal" combo you try to use pretty regularly and a "monster is sleeping time to do the most damage ever" combo.

Anyone mind giving me some practical CB combos? In particular a "normal" combo you try to use pretty regularly and a "monster is sleeping time to do the most damage ever" combo.

Have you happened to watch Gaijinhunter's video?

Sword: A full charge followed by X is a very simple one that you can repeat over and over, and gives you some slight mobility. Actually you can throw the A charge in anywhere between attacks to give you a good double hit and high swing.

Axe: Holding forward and pressing X gives you a nice overhead swing, and pressing X again gives you a very high reaching uppercut, great for slicing off tails. There isn't much else in the way of comboing.

Switching between sword and axe gives you most of the combo strings, since you can execute them at any time--the transitions are attacks on their own.

Sleeping: Get your shield to Red charge, and have all five phials, pull out your axe, aim for the head, and press X+A to do you ultra swing. Don't put your weapon too close to the monster, as the ultra swing has a "windup" swing that can wake the monster before the actual powerhouse swing comes down. According to the link above, this would do True raw * 0.33 * no. of bottles used for the damage * 2x multiplier for sleeping monster.

Top Bottom