• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

jorgejjvr

Anyone mind giving me some practical CB combos? In particular a "normal" combo you try to use pretty regularly and a "monster is sleeping time to do the most damage ever" combo.

Regarding the sleeping, just do the ultra burst (releasing both the charged shield and phials) but make sure the physical axe hits first, not the explosion.

Regarding combos, I usually charge my shield and get my Phials up, and when I feel safe, I transition to axe mode and do the roundhouse swing as much as I can. However, whenever possible I use the burst cancel (holding x and pushing the circle pad backwards) so that I can blow up the monster and get three explosions in without wasting my shield and Phials (as the ultra does).

-Alternis

Tom_Cody

Speaking of all of this. I killed Rathian a couple times and made her charge blade. Then took that and farmed Gore a few times and got my Gore CB! I need to get better for sure at the charge blade combos but I kept proceeding with quests and was killing stuff pretty good so it is going well so far! With the hammer I have used it so long I just know what combos to use when so it is jarring to try to learn something else. CB is really fun though and as said above, blocking seems broken after hammering forever.
Nice work.

Rawk Hawk

Trying to put together a M Tigrex HH armor set (only real must haves are Maestro and Awaken). Using Athena's nets a lot of options, but always wonder how they will end up actually looking. Anyone put together a decent looking set for this horn? Also, with Garuga armor, my gut says no, but is the purple the pigment you can change? Seems like a popular set that Athena likes to throw at me, but just unsure about how it will look.

tuffy

Trying to put together a M Tigrex HH armor set (only real must haves are Maestro and Awaken). Using Athena's nets a lot of options, but always wonder how they will end up actually looking. Anyone put together a decent looking set for this horn? Also, with Garuga armor, my gut says no, but is the purple the pigment you can change? Seems like a popular set that Athena likes to throw at me, but just unsure about how it will look.
Try right-clicking on the armor set in the results pane to get a preview. As with Garuga, the purple has to stay unfortunately.

Tom_Cody

I'm getting weirdly/unnecessarily insecure about my weapon-of-choice, the hammer! I began to broach the subject a few pages back (after discovering a reddit thread in which people were mostly trashing it), and I'm still wondering how this thing compares to everything else. I've always liked its simplicity, but does this make it generally less impressive than the use of other weapons? As someone who's new the series (and only G3) it's hard for me to judge.
Like everyone has said, just use whatever is most fun for you. The hammer is viable, as are all the weapons. The game is really well balanced, sometimes maddeningly so.

I went from Great Sword (in the demo) to Bow (for my first 150 hours or so) to Switch Axe (for my next 150 hours or so). I first used the Great Sword because its mechanics are relatively simple and I wanted to focus on learning the game systems and learning the monsters. I then took on Bow because I wanted to be further away from the monsters so I could actually see them (versus being up-close-and-personal and simply grinding on them). I also just love Bow gameplay. I then moved to Switch Axe because I wanted to simplify my arsenal and be a bit more durable. I ended up loving the weapon and its play more than any other that I've tried. Each transition proved to be very positive for me.

Play with what you like, but don't be afraid to switch things up. You might end up enjoying a different weapon even more than the Hammer.

Rawk Hawk

Try right-clicking on the armor set in the results pane to get a preview. As with Garuga, the purple has to stay unfortunately.

Oh wow, you can preview? Haha, seems like every time I post something about this program I learn something new about it. Thanks!

Tom_Cody

Low-stakes question:

Should I go for Tenderizer/Weakness-Exploit or upgrade to Evasion +3 (from Evasion +2). I've never used T/WE so I don't know how relatively good it is.

To give more context, I had been using Regios X with the Seregios SA, but I additionally built a Narga X set in order to better utilize other end-game axes.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/nargacuga-helm-x

Getting Handicraft/SP1 up to ten is a given, but that's expensive (I need to use a 3-slot talisman) and doesn't leave much space for other skills. Until I get a better talisman, I'm limited to the decision listed above.

tuffy

To be fair, the program doesn't actually say how to preview armor sets; it just sort of expects one to figure it out. But I do spend an awful lot of time running through those previews and sometimes using the advanced search to cull out pieces that look especially bad with anything else.

upandaway

zlCfzTcafbMFb2xuEA

:p
Everywhere I go someone bullies me

Rawk Hawk

What did you think all those JPG files were for? :p

Haha, never really noticed I guess, observation isn't a skill I have 10 points in yet, still waiting on a good charm.

To be fair, the program doesn't actually say how to preview armor sets; it just sort of expects one to figure it out. But I do spend an awful lot of time running through those previews and sometimes using the advanced search to cull out pieces that look especially bad with anything else.

Yea I started doing that with Garuga just because I figured the purple was forever, and although I like purple and would totally wear purple armor, it would basically need to be full garuga set, as it's not going to match much else.

Shengar

So is there a guide for one shoting the kinsect up to effect extender? I have a shitload of ++ nectars stashed

I have this copy pasted from Reddit
Make the weapon (base)
5 Power+ (69/60/60)
3 Power+ (69/60/60)
Level Up Bug
5 Power+ (78/60/60)
3 Power+ (87/60/60)
Level Up Bug
3 Power+ (96/60/60)
5 Speed+ (96/60/69)
Upgrade Weapon (Top option, the bug with Kinsect Attack Up (S))
5 Speed+ (96/60/78)
Level Up Bug
5 Speed+ (96/60/87)
Level Up Bug
5 Speed+ (96/60/96)
Upgrade Weapon (Top option, the bug with Kinsect Attack Up (L))
5 Speed+ (96/60/105)
Level Up Bug
5 Speed+ (96/60/114)
Level Up Bug
9 Stamina+ (96/78/114)
Level Up Bug
9 Stamina+ (96/96/114)
Upgrade Weapon (SECOND OPTION - VERY IMPORTANT - BUG WITH Kinsect Attack and Stamina Up (L), Extract Efficacy Up (S) and Extract Extend & Affinity Up)
Speed+ Until bug is at 150 speed
Finish off with as much Power++ as you can
If you used Nectar ++, don't follow the number of nectar given but rather the stat.

Man...hearing you guys talk about the hammer brings back memories. I've been playing the MH series since MHF2 (DAT Plesioth hip check) and started with the hammer. I've been using hammer since then...MHFU, MHP3, MH3U. After about 600 hours of Hammer time, I decided to switch weapon in MH4U.

Even after 600 hours of hammer time, I still can't say I'm an expert. I've seen videos of people getting in head contacts on full charge pound and last uppercut golf swing off a spinning full charge out of the most unlikely circumstances. Some which I never knew were possible! Hammer is a great weapon...and you usually get dibs on the monster's head.

I back in MH3U, I wanted to change my main to Switch Axe but I found it too slow and unwieldy. I can't seem to agree with it. Then in MH4U, the Charge Blade appears! I have switched my main to CB in MH4U. 200 hours in....and I absolutely enjoy this beast of a weapon. It can switch between offense and defense very quickly. Counter attacking after guard point is almost imba! I've still got lots to learn on guard point timing, especially when Apex tier mobs have slight variations in moves!

Good luck in choosing your main!

edit regarding above: congrats on finally getting the rusted lance! I've slayed over 30 Dios and still no Brach Gem. I'm not giving up!

Shengar

Congrats panda
Now enjoy farming earth crystals for upgrading and Daora's gem to make it usable :p
edit regarding above: congrats on finally getting the rusted lance! I've slayed over 30 Dios and still no Brach Gem. I'm not giving up!

Are you in G Rank? Then I proposed to fought its G Rank version if you're able to go online since I think they are the main source of my seemingly unending supply of Brachy Gem (I have to hunt Brachy more for the hammer than the gem).

Ohnonono

Man...hearing you guys talk about the hammer brings back memories. I've been playing the MH series since MHF2 (DAT Plesioth hip check) and started with the hammer. I've been using hammer since then...MHFU, MHP3, MH3U. After about 600 hours of Hammer time, I decided to switch weapon in MH4U.

Even after 600 hours of hammer time, I still can't say I'm an expert. I've seen videos of people getting in head contacts on full charge pound and last uppercut golf swing off a spinning full charge out of the most unlikely circumstances. Some which I never knew were possible! Hammer is a great weapon...and you usually get dibs on the monster's head.

I back in MH3U, I wanted to change my main to Switch Axe but I found it too slow and unwieldy. I can't seem to agree with it. Then in MH4U, the Charge Blade appears! I have switched my main to CB in MH4U. 200 hours in....and I absolutely enjoy this beast of a weapon. It can switch between offense and defense very quickly. Counter attacking after guard point is almost imba! I've still got lots to learn on guard point timing, especially when Apex tier mobs have slight variations in moves!

Good luck in choosing your main!

This is basicly me too. Though I did Bow and Gunlance a good bit in 3U. CB is very fun, but I always keep my golf club around.

Looks like I'm on 7, one away from rainbow.

Where do I check unique quest number?

Not sure if it's been said but you also have to beat G3's urgent, the Gogmazios quest, as well. It's possible if you've been golden checkmarking and joining high level rooms to hit 370 uniques before actually hitting G crown, but you won't get the guild card until that particular quest is also cleared.

Congrats panda
Now enjoy farming earth crystals for upgrading and Daora's gem to make it usable :p

Are you in G Rank? Then I proposed to fought its G Rank version if you're able to go online since I think they are the main source of my seemingly unending supply of Brachy Gem (I have to hunt Brachy more for the hammer than the gem).

Hrmmm...G rank takes longer to kill. High Rank dies in about 5 mins. I felt it would be more efficient to do quick runs.

Just made a few switch axes and ready to be murdered as I flail around like an idiot. But what better way to learn than by in the field right?

Ohnonono

Just made a few switch axes and ready to be murdered as I flail around like an idiot. But what better way to learn than by in the field right?

When I made my first CB I was going to go fight something easy just to learn and then said screw it and pressed on. LEARN IN THE TRENCHES!

Shengar

Hrmmm...G rank takes longer to kill. High Rank dies in about 5 mins. I felt it would be more efficient to do quick runs.

I know, hence why I said online since with (competent) random Brachy could be dealt with roughly in 6-7 minutes. With killing G Rank you also have the chance to carved out Brach Pallium, which will of course saved you from having to do it all over again but only this time you have a rain of gems on you whole never getting a sight of pallium.

Not sure if it's been said but you also have to beat G3's urgent, the Gogmazios quest, as well. It's possible if you've been golden checkmarking and joining high level rooms to hit 370 uniques before actually hitting G crown, but you won't get the guild card until that particular quest is also cleared.

I'm super g-crown mate. Haven't you seen me complaining about Immortal Reactors? =P

I'm super g-crown mate. Haven't you seen me complaining about Immortal Reactors? =P

Negatory, sorry. I don't keep up with the thread as much as I have been recently. Workin so much my hunting has dropped off.

That said, super brachy is an awesome, balls out fight. It took me 11 kills to get a single reactor. Luckily I only needed the one.

I might be slightly biased though, Brachy's music theme is my favorite in the game. It's hard to hate any fight that has that music.

jorgejjvr

WOAH! I DID IT! I was able to solo the G rank Crimson Fatalis from "A Final Battle Cry" :D

I carted once, but that's alright. I took him down in 18 minutes and 35 seconds. The best part is that I got what I needed :D

But now, what is next?

-Alternis

Shengar

Hone every weapon! The event Apex Diablos really makes this a lot easier.

Soloing Apex monster is still a bad idea.

EDIT: I've made some mixing with my Edgemaster+4 charm and I need Black Belt helm for the best result. I don't want skull visage because it looks like an ass, but grinding for Black Belt helm looks extremely painful.

Top Bottom