• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Wolfe

EDIT: I've made some mixing with my Edgemaster+4 charm and I need Black Belt helm for the best result. I don't want skull visage because it looks like an ass, but grinding for Black Belt helm looks extremely painful.

Look for me if you ever decide to try and get the coins, I wouldn't mind making it myself but I never actually get around to doing much if any arena.

Rawk Hawk

Same with me, I'd love to break into Arena at some point. The Specs and Black Belt stuff would all be nice to have on hand, just never do it.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my Hammer concerns! I'll definitely keep using it for now; I just felt like maybe my time would have been better spent elsewhere--that I'd be hitting a wall in terms of viability/skill sooner than I would with something else. But if those videos are anything to go by (and the time many of you have sunk into the weapon), that shouldn't be happening.

There's something about the CB and SA that doesn't appeal to me in terms of the way they control. The Hammer's emphasis on movement, timing, and aim really clicks with me, however.

That being said, the Greatsword also has me very curious. And what's up with the Lance? I hardly ever see people using them online.

Final note: should CB users be competing with me for the head? I've noticed that I"m constantly getting knocked around by its wide swing, and it's driving me nuts.

Ohnonono

Thanks to everyone who responded to my Hammer concerns! I'll definitely keep using it for now; I just felt like maybe my time would have been better spent elsewhere--that I'd be hitting a wall in terms of viability/skill sooner than I would with something else. But if those videos are anything to go by (and the time many of you have sunk into the weapon), that shouldn't be happening.

There's something about the CB and SA that doesn't appeal to me in terms of the way they control. The Hammer's emphasis on movement, timing, and aim really clicks with me, however.

That being said, the Greatsword also has me very curious. And what's up with the Lance? I hardly ever see people using them online.

Final note: should CB users be competing with me for the head? I've noticed that I"m constantly getting knocked around by its wide swing, and it's driving me nuts.

An impact CB can totally break stuff. That said I would prolly let M.C. Hammer take the head.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

CB can do it, but they should totally be letting you have it. I usually go sword mode for the tail and I've noticed CB users have been throwing me around lately as well.

Tom_Cody

Unfortunately a lot of weapons are best at the head, though the hammer is specifically suited for it.

If there is a hammer in the party, I go for the tail first and then try to break other parts.

Pejo

So I'm returning to the game after a few months off, and there is a metric shit ton of DLC to go through now. I read the OP but didn't see anything, is there a guide to getting all these costumes/events? It seems really confusing to see which quests unlock which costumes/weapons/armors.

Kinsei

Banned

No. if they have an impact CB they should only be getting in the odd attack when you're not around/a burst when the monster is knocked over to help you out. Their talents would be better served elsewhere like cutting a tail.

Question for you all. If I'm G2 and I need quest unlocked that I haven't done the pre-reqs for, can I have someone who has access to said quest host a room and partake in the quest? If yes and I complete the quest does it now appear in my list of that I can access even if I still haven't done the pre-req?

tuffy

Question for you all. If I'm G2 and I need quest unlocked that I haven't done the pre-reqs for, can I have someone who has access to said quest host a room and partake in the quest? If yes and I complete the quest does it now appear in my list of that I can access even if I still haven't done the pre-req?
Although you can partake in quests you haven't unlocked yourself, those quests don't show up on your list as something you can post until the prerequisite quests are completed. But once the prerequisite quests are completed, such quests will show up as checked-off already so they still count as being done.

Rawk Hawk

Anyone with the Star Knight quest game for some hunts? Turns out with full star knight I can make: Rodeo God, Challenger+2, Steady Hand, Sharpness+1, Awaken and Horn Maestro.. which seems like a pretty good set for Molton's HH.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As someone who just had the entire team quit on him because one guy got hit by the Teostra nuke, this is a terrible idea.

I was doing the 5-star urgent quest (Black Gravios) and literally everyone but me kept getting hit by the damn fire beam--but only when he swung it downward. Like one minute we were going, I see the sign so I run out, then the next second he does it and we fail the quest. And it kept happening, goddamn.

Randoms suck.

onionfrog

As someone who just had the entire team quit on him because one guy got hit by the Teostra nuke, this is a terrible idea.
We actually managed to get my brother's urgent done. Despite one of the randoms just carving the tail and leaving.
Got lucky this time!
I agree that generally it is a terrible idea!

PrankT

Anyone with the Star Knight quest game for some hunts? Turns out with full star knight I can make: Rodeo God, Challenger+2, Steady Hand, Sharpness+1, Awaken and Horn Maestro.. which seems like a pretty good set for Molton's HH.
In my opinion Steady Hand and Sharpness aren't great with that particular horn. Don't get me wrong, they're useful, but the purple is so short and the white to abundant that I go for attack/tremor/bioresearcher/evasion instead of sharpness. However, the star knight set is great with pretty much everything, so you can't go wrong.

Rawk Hawk

In my opinion Steady Hand and Sharpness aren't great with that particular horn. Don't get me wrong, they're useful, but the purple is so short and the white to abundant that I go for attack/tremor/bioresearcher/evasion instead of sharpness. However, the star knight set is great with pretty much everything, so you can't go wrong.
Interesting, yea that's true. Was just thinking is never need to sharpen, but really I end up doing it when monsters change areas anyway. Maybe back to the drawing board, haha. Maybe something easier to get this month.

Also the horn needing 7 fangs from each Tigrex is pretty annoying lol, still on hr Molton.

Am clearing some other hr quests now:
53-8203-3631-7418

No pass on it.

I can't believe I carved blasthearts and mantles from the two tigrex runs we did. Considering how poorly I did I'm not sure I should be worried for the future.

Wolfe

This is one of those things that easily avoidable yet no one online bothers to look out for anyone but themselves half the time. When I'm in a group with a hammer I let the hammer take the head until the monster goes down from mount or arial flash (or whatever) at which point I'll share the head and only set off a few super bursts on the head. I never trip anyone but I've played with plenty of randoms too so I get that the average person online isn't that good lol.

I still recall this guild quest where the other CB user kept ultra bursting Teostras head each time after the IG guy did a mount. Wouldn't have been a problem but me and the GS dude were both also trying to do a bit of damage to the head. Now it's perfectly doable for a GS and 2 CBs to share a large noggin like Teo's but no this dude just HAD to ultra burst every fucking time and send me and the GS guy flying as we're going through our attack animations. At one point he even said "sorry" but then kept fucking doing it lol, like what was the point of apologizing.

So yeah, if CB guy can't share the head without knocking you around he needs to GTFO and go whack at the tail or something.

So I'm returning to the game after a few months off, and there is a metric shit ton of DLC to go through now. I read the OP but didn't see anything, is there a guide to getting all these costumes/events? It seems really confusing to see which quests unlock which costumes/weapons/armors.

Not that I know of, but yeah I agree shit get's confusing especially considering the quests don't tell you what the craftable is for it so if you can't decipher the quest text you gotta look it up I guess. Or just do the quest then wait till you can hit up the smithy lol.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help. If anything I might suggest checking out the capcom unity site, place seems to get a decent amount of attention.

Greddleok

I ended up making the Dio Katana, but having played for most of the game with an insect glaive, I was awful with it. Bleh. I think I'll stick with my IG for single player, and pull out the LS for multi.

Wolfe

My apologies Sheng but I don't think my connection is going to cooperate tonight, if I'm not disconnecting it's being laggy as hell :(

Shengar

My apologies Sheng but I don't think my connection is going to cooperate tonight, if I'm not disconnecting it's being laggy as hell :(

Yeah, and that motherfucker really hard to take down too. It seems many people of this thread plagued by bad connection recently.

Wolfe

I ended up sticking it out after I disconnected that second time but almost ran out of time. Also just my luck that I only play LS and SNS rarely while the other 3 weapons that you could choose I haven't really played at all lol.

Ohnonono

Beat the holy snot out of Rath last night. I am moving through the caravan stuff pretty fast but I think I am going to stop and farm the Gore armor because fashion. Hopefully I get lucky with the plates.

Tom_Cody

Beat the holy snot out of Rath last night. I am moving through the caravan stuff pretty fast but I think I am going to stop and farm the Gore armor because fashion. Hopefully I get lucky with the plates.
The Gore plate was my first desire sensor crisis. I soloed him 12 times before I got 1 plate.

Lagombi be like

tumblr_n6gfg18CMN1ssr51lo1_400.gif

Letep

Each time I visit this thread, I get super excited to play. Then I turn on my game and realize I'm still at the beginning quests and get discouraged and play a few games, then stop again.

What's the trick to getting over that initial hump? I want to start making kick ass armor and play with you guys.

Ohnonono

Each time I visit this thread, I get super excited to play. Then I turn on my game and realize I'm still at the beginning quests and get discouraged and play a few games, then stop again.

What's the trick to getting over that initial hump? I want to start making kick ass armor and play with you guys.

What point are you at in the single player? I am working toward the 6* quests and I find the key to these games to just enjoy the ride. I stop and craft full armor sets from monsters that I think look cool, I try out new weapon types. If you are in a hurry you may miss out. That said I think you can start multiplayer pretty early and have success. I can solo the early multiplayer stuff fine when I have gear from 4* single player.

Tom_Cody

How far are you into the game?

My advice would be to pick a specific weapon/armor goal to work towards (one that is appropriate for the phase of the game that you on). There are a number of cool armor sets available even from early Low Rank.

What weapon are you using?

I felt a great satisfaction at learning how to use the bow early on. Even more so as I came to understand the crafting system better.

Have you tried online yet?

There are tons of people in this thread who would enjoy shepherding you through the game.

Rawk Hawk

You can always post your rooms here if you are playing online, I'm am certain people will come if they are free. Just keep in mind, if you are in Low or High Rank and want the people joining to wear appropriate gear (as to not be over powered) just mention it in your post.

You may be limited in the content you have access to, since you are newer, but that content is by no means worthless even to veteran players. There are still times I revisit those lower ranks to get monster parts I need for upgrading new weapons.

As for getting over the hump, I can only speak to what helped me. What hooked me was dodging things I previously couldn't, or landing a combo that seemed impossible weeks prior. I have a tendency to say "Oh my God, that's impossible, how the hell am I suppose to avoid that?" or something to that effect. Then it happens, I get a better feel for it and avoid it, and feel like I'm basically unstoppable (you know until the next enemy dominates me). Self progression like that keeps me coming back, and it started as early as Great Jaggi. His hip check specifically. I was busy going complete ham on him, because you know he is only low rank, and bam I would get hit every time. Might not cause me to faint or anything, but just annoyed me I had to wait to stand up to attack more.

jorgejjvr

You shouldn't be discouraged. You've got a family of reliable hunters right here. All you need is to say the word and we'll assist you and experience everything with you (both good and bad). Like the post before me stated, you can also tell us to use gear that's appropriate so you can actually enjoy the hunts instead of the monsters dying in a minute or two. Don't ever feel like you're alone. Honestly, though I advise against it, if you truly just care about catching up with us, we could literally get you around our level (at the very least the beginning of G rank) in a few hours. However, this somewhat Makes the game less enjoyable since all the monsters that are supposed to be difficult obstacles would get destroyed by us.

Personally, I never really had a hump. Sure, the first few collection quests were a bit boring, but I think after the first few, you could already start Hu ting things like Seltas (in the offline). For me, just the rush of defeating a tough monster, then making weapons and armor out of it to fight the next one always kept me going. I always wondered what was going to be next, what the next challenger would be. Sure, sometimes I would get destroyed (*cough* Rajang *cough*), but the whole process of trial and error, learning the monster, its moves, its personality, where it likes to go and what it likes to eat, those things fascinated me. Believe me when I say that the quests in which you have to either collect stuff or kill small monsters are never necessary to go to the next rank (aside from maybe the beginning caravan one star) . So as soon as you've unlocked the big monsters, focus on those so you don't get discouraged. This game is also a large game, don't stress by thinking you have to do everything quickly. You need to make armor, weapons, choose talismans, combine stuff together to create items, find out what you get by combining things (or searching it up online) and see if you can use that in hunts.

Finally, regarding the gathering hall, if you want to rank up a little faster than normal (but not too much), there's a list online detailing which quests are mandatory to rank up for both online and offline. Of course, you'd still have to beat those quests, but it is a bit faster than doing quests randomly and taking a long time. However, with that being stated, that doesn't mean you shouldn't look at quests that aren't mandatory. Some quests may upgrade your kitchen so your food gives you better buffs when you eat. Sometimes there are new monsters that aren't even mandatory to beat so you may even overlook them, so just watch out for things like that.

My apologies if I went off on a tangent, I wanted to answer your questions and also give you some tips as well since you're quite new. Hopefully I was able to help! Remember, you've always got us! We wouldn't mind helping you out at all!

Happy Hunting!

-Alternis

Hey guys, what Hunting Horns do you recommend making this time around? I'm looking at Kiranico at them but they don't list what songs they have and what they do, just the notes.

Rawk Hawk

Hey guys, what Hunting Horns do you recommend making this time around? I'm looking at Kiranico at them but they don't list what songs they have and what they do, just the notes.

Yea I kind of hate that about Kiranico, the wiki page seems to be the best, but I just prefer surfing Kiranico.

Anyway I think Gaijin's list was Seregios, Molton, Gog, Teostra and Yama. I have Seregios and Gog made, and I prefer Seregios so far. I usually play Atk/Def Boost (S), Stamina Negate, Wind Pressure Negate. Also has Defense Boost (L) which I play if someone gets def down. I made Ukanlos since I had the parts and will probably do Fatalis at some point since it looks cool. But basically at this point I've been solely Seregios and it's been great.

Gog is an all around asskicker, plus if someone faints you can restore their health to its maximum level without making them use a max potion.

If you want to catch up quicker than normal you need to focus on doing only the key quests if possible. Key quests are what you need to progress through the ranks. Look into

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/quest

Low Rank Armor setups

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2w9ioy/heres_an_extremely_useful_low_rank_armour_set/

I believe the link below has some high Rank

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2xhiqm/mh4u_armory_low_high_g

Yea I kind of hate that about Kiranico, the wiki page seems to be the best, but I just prefer surfing Kiranico.

Anyway I think Gaijin's list was Seregios, Molton, Gog, Teostra and Yama. I have Seregios and Gog made, and I prefer Seregios so far. I usually play Atk/Def Boost (S), Stamina Negate, Wind Pressure Negate. Also has Defense Boost (L) which I play if someone gets def down. I made Ukanlos since I had the parts and will probably do Fatalis at some point since it looks cool. But basically at this point I've been solely Seregios and it's been great.
I should go look at the video then. But I had no idea Seregios had those songs. That's amazing.
Gog is an all around asskicker, plus if someone faints you can restore their health to its maximum level without making them use a max potion.
Lets see... for Gog I should probably fight him again for a few more offenders first.

PrankT

Gogmazios (attack and defence up L)
Seregios (attack and defense up and negate stamina)
M. Tigrex (attack up L, earplugs L, negate snow/heat/cold)
Teostra/Chameleos (blast or poison, same songs negates poison, boost status effects, divine protection...I only use this against chameleos)

Top Bottom