• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Shengar

What in the name of Trenya is going on here? I'm not noticing any decrease in kill times at all after honing my Hazy Caster for more attack. I've been hunting Apex Seregios for Large Zenith Wyvern Gems and my kill times are exactly the same as before honing.

There are a lot more factor than just your weapon attack value in completion time. The monster can decide being an asshole and use charge move a lot, forcing you to play tagging game with them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There are a lot more factor than just your weapon attack value in completion time. The monster can decide being an asshole and use charge move a lot, forcing you to play tagging game with them.

That's something I really like about MonHun, something you think you've mastered, that you've killed a million times, can kart you given a bad draw.

upandaway

Alright, settled on this for a GS set

Skull Visage (or anything with Torso Inc)
Kaiser Mail X
Kaiser Vambraces X
Kushala Cocoon X
Grand Hyuga Hakama
-----------------
+5 FastCharge, +5 Crit Draw ---
-----------------
2x Spirit Jewel 2
1x Draw Jewel 2
2x Draw Jewel 1
1x Spirit Jewel 1
-----------------
Focus
Critical Draw
Sharpness +1
Sheath Control
Challenger +1/+2 (O/OOO weapon)

Hope it won't take too long to make

Wolfe

You mean Sharpness doesn't give you Sharpness +1?

But that's ridiculous!

Next thing I know you're gonna tell me Steady Hand is a gunner skill, HAH!

co1onel

But that's ridiculous!

Does capcom use these names just to fuck with us? Like who's idea was it to make bombadier for use with blast, and then make felyne bombadier for use with gunlance shelling while felyne pyro is instead for use with blast.

Leezard

But that's ridiculous!

Edge Lore for Steady Hand

Steady Hand for Silver Bullet!

For some skills it would be much simpler if the activated skill had the same name as the actual skill points.

spiritfox

Edge Lore for Steady Hand

Steady Hand for Silver Bullet!

For some skills it would be much simpler if the activated skill had the same name as the actual skill points.

Oh god yes. It's so hard to search for skills when you don't know if the name is for the activated skill or the skill points.

Tarps

Yeah it's always been cryptic, and that's being very generous. I wouldn't mind if they rebooted the skill system entirely for the next instalment.

jorgejjvr

Don't forget arcana for enlightened blade, fury for wrath awoken, ferocity for bloodthirst and avarice for bounty hunter!

I don't understand, it's really strange. I suppose you can't have a skill called arcana or avarice somehow so you need to change the names?

Don't forget the faithful ones though!
Speed gathering gives you speed gathering, evasion gives you evasion, evade distance gives you evade distance up, etc.

-Alternis

Renoir

Been playing online for a while.. I just now started again picking at the caravan quest.. Man this is going smoothly. Caravan difficulty usually lower than guild quest?

Even when that doesn't happen, my best kill times are the same as before. I've had one or two that went exactly as my previous best run and my kill times were the same. The weird thing is that I consistently cut off its tail and knock it out of its frenzy noticeably more quickly now.

Edit: Never mind. I just got my best kill time yet at 12 minutes. Almost 3 minutes faster than my previous best.

jorgejjvr

Been playing online for a while.. I just now started again picking at the caravan quest.. Man this is going smoothly. Caravan difficulty usually lower than guild quest?

Indeed. In caravan all monsters take 100% of damage. Online, unless I'm mistaken, the monsters take less damage. I believe regular G rank monsters take 65% of damage. Level 140 guild quest monsters probably take even less.

Regarding kill times, trust me, Every quest is different. Even one little flinch can change a quest time dramatically xP also, If I can be completely honest here, the reason I don't hone for attack is because I find it pointless. At most it increases attack by 100, and at least, with weapons which already have huge attack, the attack may go up by less (around 90, 50, or maybe 20, I haven't checked). Yes, technically you get more attack but I do not think it is worth it. I personally feel that honing for attack doesn't increase your attack to the extent where your kill times will increase dramatically, only slightly (provided you do your absolute best of course). This is why I hone for defense. Take the Ceadeus Regalia, it naturally has 1080 damage, and honing for attack only takes it to 11xx damage (probably less than 1150, I need confirmation), whereas honing for defense always guarantees 60 more defense points and divine protection. However, in the end it is your personal choice.

-Alternis

Leezard

Indeed. In caravan all monsters take 100% of damage. Online, unless I'm mistaken, the monsters take less damage. I believe regular G rank monsters take 65% of damage. Level 140 guild quest monsters probably take even less.

Regarding kill times, trust me, Every quest is different. Even one little flinch can change a quest time dramatically xP also, If I can be completely honest here, the reason I don't hone for attack is because I find it pointless. At most it increases attack by 100, and at least, with weapons which already have huge attack, the attack may go up by less (around 90, 50, or maybe 20, I haven't checked). Yes, technically you get more attack but I do not think it is worth it. I personally feel that honing for attack doesn't increase your attack to the extent where your kill times will increase dramatically, only slightly (provided you do your absolute best of course). This is why I hone for defense. Take the Ceadeus Regalia, it naturally has 1080 damage, and honing for attack only takes it to 11xx damage (probably less than 1150, I need confirmation), whereas honing for defense always guarantees 60 more defense points and divine protection. However, in the end it is your personal choice.

-Alternis
IIRC honing for attack gives 20 or 25 true raw, the same number for all weapons. I don't remember which one of them it is, but as you can see it's the same as attack up L or xl, respectively.

jorgejjvr

IIRC honing for attack gives 20 or 25 true raw, the same number for all weapons. I don't remember which one of them it is, but as you can see it's the same as attack up L or xl, respectively.

Ah, that would explain why some weapons seem have their damage raised less. However, if that has the same effect, why not just get AuL or AuXL and then home for Life or Defense? I'm not sure why, but something about attack honing seems displeasing. I suppose it's because of those high level GQ that can easily kill you, so the more defense, the better.

However I was told that once you get over 700+ defense, it doesn't really matter what defense you have since you'll get one shotted anyway. Do you guys agree? I believe 845 defense is better than 785, isn't it?

-Alternis

Edit: What did gaijin hunter say about honing? Doing research, it seems that my original statement is true, but I may be wrong. It seems weapons with higher raw have less of an effect in regard to attack honing than weapons with lower raw. It's somewhat like how adding AuL or AuXL to super strong weapons really doesn't add too much attack.

Leezard

Ah, that would explain why some weapons seem have their damage raised less. However, if that has the same effect, why not just get AuL or AuXL and then home for Life or Defense? I'm not sure why, but something about attack honing seems displeasing. I suppose it's because of those high level GQ that can easily kill you, so the more defense, the better.

However I was told that once you get over 700+ defense, it doesn't really matter what defense you have since you'll get one shotted anyway. Do you guys agree? I believe 845 defense is better than 785, isn't it?

-Alternis

Edit: What did gaijin hunter say about honing? Doing research, it seems that my original statement is true, but I may be wrong. It seems weapons with higher raw have less of an effect in regard to attack honing than weapons with lower raw. It's somewhat like how adding AuL or AuXL to super strong weapons really doesn't add too much attack.
I check and it's 20 true raw, apparently. I think most crafted end-game weapons will have around 270-300 true raw no matter which type of weapon you use, so you're adding around 7% more attack by attack honing. Granted, weapons with positive affinity will gain more and weapons with negative affinity will gain less, but it's all around something like 7%. Attack up L is still 20 skill points, and if you already use Honed Edge you might need attack hone if you want to increase your damage further, whereas it's much simpler to gem in divine favor. Defense up L/XL is percentage-based so it's probably more effective than the flat 60 armor, but I don't think anyone uses Def up L/XL in endgame.

I haven't experienced getting oneshotted that much with 780 armor even against lvl 140 GQ monsters, most of the time a strong attack will deal between 60% and 80% hp so it can two-shot you. I don't know if honing for defense will reduce that to getting three-shot in most cases unless you proc the divine favor, so if you're still getting two-shot it won't have much impact I think. For gunners it should be much more attractive, as you can get near (more than?) 600 armor with it.

I don't think it's that easy to choose how to hone, except maybe defense for guns.

jorgejjvr

I check and it's 20 true raw, apparently. I think most crafted end-game weapons will have around 270-300 true raw no matter which type of weapon you use, so you're adding around 7% more attack by attack honing. Granted, weapons with positive affinity will gain more and weapons with negative affinity will gain less, but it's all around something like 7%. Attack up L is still 20 skill points, and if you already use Honed Edge you might need attack hone if you want to increase your damage further, whereas it's much simpler to gem in divine favor. Defense up L/XL is percentage-based so it's probably more effective than the flat 60 armor, but I don't think anyone uses Def up L/XL in endgame.

I haven't experienced getting oneshotted that much with 780 armor even against lvl 140 GQ monsters, most of the time a strong attack will deal between 60% and 80% hp so it can two-shot you. I don't know if honing for defense will reduce that to getting three-shot in most cases unless you proc the divine favor, so if you're still getting two-shot it won't have much impact I think. For gunners it should be much more attractive, as you can get near (more than?) 600 armor with it.

I don't think it's that easy to choose how to hone.

Don't forget that divine protection stacks. If you defense hone and have divine protection or Felyne Defender Hi, I believe you have a 44% chance for less damage as opposed to a 25% chance. If you had all three, I'm sure the percentage would be even greater.

-Alternis

Leezard

Don't forget that divine protection stacks. If you defense hone and have divine protection or Felyne Defender Hi, I believe you have a 44% chance for less damage as opposed to a 25% chance. If you had all three, I'm sure the percentage would be even greater.

-Alternis

Fair enough. I can see a point in getting that.

It should rise to 58% if all three of them has 25%.

Hm, no luck finding it. Could there be a typo in the room number?

I fixed it, I think. Thanks to everyone who showed up!

edit: I finally completed G3 yesterday, and I'm wondering what my next set of goals should be. Is there any way to consistently unlock more quests, or do I just have to keep playing? What's my next challenge?

I honed my Inferno/Paradis dual blades for attack a while ago (they started with 420 raw), but I'm running a critical damage set with them. Was attack still a good idea? My Rath Soul Z armor has lower defense than my Grand Mizuha armor and it seems like farming for Divine Armor Spheres would take forever. Is there a relatively easy way to get those?

I'll probably go for defense for the Chameleos Blades.

PrankT

Gogmazios (attack and defence up L)
Seregios (attack and defense up and negate stamina)
M. Tigrex (attack up L, earplugs L, negate snow/heat/cold)
Teostra/Chameleos (blast or poison, same songs negates poison, boost status effects, divine protection...I only use this against chameleos)

Do you recommend using Maestro?

A few days late but I'm adding the Denden Doomsounder to the list. Decent purple with sharpness 1, 2 slots, 350 thunder. The songs are attack Up L (best song), knockback prevention (it's something...), and melody extension (use to extend attack up). It's been added into my horn rotation.

A few days late but I'm adding the Denden Doomsounder to the list. Decent purple with sharpness 1, 2 slots, 350 thunder. The songs are attack Up L (best song), knockback prevention (it's something...), and melody extension (use to extend attack up). It's been added into my horn rotation.
You can never go wrong with more Rajang weapons right?

tm24

Aren't you able to acquire them? Since you have all the DLC early?

-Alternis

Certain quests are dummied out due to licensing issues and are unaccessible. The One Piece, Pirate King and various anime gear are all unavailble to Western copies of MH4U

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
He's *so* cool, though. I was really impressed when I saw him for the first time.
Oh yeah totally, lots of tricks under its sleeve. He's like the Lucent Nargacuga mean and goofy cousin.

Was kinda sad when his tail got cut. Carved it the dame though :p Hunters are the real monsters.

I made a set of G Rank armor with these amazing skills for my CB: -

Sharpness +1
Razor Sharp
Guard +2
Attack Up Large / Medium (depending on weapon slots)

But the problem is that all the element resist SUCKS except for Fire Resist...and I gotta eat for the element resist when fighting against certain monster, or it's the curtain calls in one hit.

Top Bottom