• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Tom_Cody

PrankT

Question:

How do you get gems for special skills (Prudence, Edgemaster, etc). You don't appear to be able to craft them but kiranico has them listed.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/skill/prudence

At this point all of my Switch Axe armor crafting revolves around Evade Extender and/or Sharpness +1, so it would really open things up if I could utilize these skills.

To be specific, I want to build off of the Storge X set.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/storge-helm-x
Those gems are built into relic armor. You can't forge them separately or remove them from the armor.

Tom_Cody

Those gems are built into relic armor. You can't forge them separately or remove them from the armor.
I had assumed as much.

:/

At this point it is really just a matter of trying to get the skills I want without ending up with the ugliest armor ever. My Narga X / Kushala X actually has what I want, I think it's more that I don't know what to do with myself now that I'm at the end of the game.

Hit G3 this weekend, now for the real fun to begin.

I'm currently sitting at 596 armor using a sharp +1, Razor Sharp, Evade Extender, Ear Plugs mixed set for my Brachy IG (explosions, explosions everywhere!) or a Sororal mix LBG setup for Seditious Shot using Fleet Feet, Evade Extender, Norm/Rapid Up, and Attack Up M, and Weakness Exploit (Dropped Bonus Shot as that Extra shot was getting me killed.) Up until the later parts of G2 I did everything solo with the exception of Alternis being a saint and helping me with a few quests. I spent the whole weekend doing online multiplayer and it's like a brand new game, a whole different experience. I didn't bother with it because I didn't want to be a burden on other but was I wrong.

My question is where do I go from here? Where do I find true armor spheres? I need to start on a new BM set as the one I have kind of sucks. I'm looking to get Sharp +1, Weakness Exploit, Challenger 1 or 2, and Evade Extender for starters. I think my raw LBG setup is pretty good and has lots of damage skills on it. Athenas hasn't failed me yet when putting together a set but I need better charms. Where are you guys doing your Charm farming at? I watched Gaijin Hunters charm farming video for the Sovereign of the sky quest but it hasn't really yielded any great rewards as of yet. What are you guys doing for charms?

tuffy

Frenzy Brachy is exactly the point where solo heavy bowgunning without Evade Extender stopped working. The event Uniqlo armor (with 3 points per armor piece) hadn't been released yet, better decorations (with 3 points per 2 slots) don't show up until G rank, and I didn't want to whip up a Lagombi S set that late into high rank. So I had to put that quest on hold for a bit until a better charm showed up.

But once it did, it felt good to mop the floor with him.

Sajjaja

Frenzy Brachy is exactly the point where solo heavy bowgunning without Evade Extender stopped working. The event Uniqlo armor (with 3 points per armor piece) hadn't been released yet, better decorations (with 3 points per 2 slots) don't show up until G rank, and I didn't want to whip up a Lagombi S set that late into high rank. So I had to put that quest on hold for a bit until a better charm showed up.

But once it did, it felt good to mop the floor with him.
Lol idk how to trump him. I have Tetsucabra S set and am using Akantor C Blade. Guy is just relentless.

spiritfox

I'm currently sitting at 596 armor using a sharp +1, Razor Sharp, Evade Extender, Ear Plugs mixed set for my Brachy IG (explosions, explosions everywhere!) or a Sororal mix LBG setup for Seditious Shot using Fleet Feet, Evade Extender, Norm/Rapid Up, and Attack Up M, and Weakness Exploit (Dropped Bonus Shot as that Extra shot was getting me killed.) Up until the later parts of G2 I did everything solo with the exception of Alternis being a saint and helping me with a few quests. I spent the whole weekend doing online multiplayer and it's like a brand new game, a whole different experience. I didn't bother with it because I didn't want to be a burden on other but was I wrong.

My question is where do I go from here? Where do I find true armor spheres? I need to start on a new BM set as the one I have kind of sucks. I'm looking to get Sharp +1, Weakness Exploit, Challenger 1 or 2, and Evade Extender for starters. I think my raw LBG setup is pretty good and has lots of damage skills on it. Athenas hasn't failed me yet when putting together a set but I need better charms. Where are you guys doing your Charm farming at? I watched Gaijin Hunters charm farming video for the Sovereign of the sky quest but it hasn't really yielded any great rewards as of yet. What are you guys doing for charms?

Get elemental LBGs. Love elemental LBGs.

FINALLY DEFEATED THE PINK RATHIAN

They weren't kidding when they said that it was the first real wall in the game. This was the first monster I couldn't beat in my first try, took me like 4.

How satisfying it was to finally see that poisonous bitch go down. At least I can say that now I'm not 100% a scrub.

now to fight her again to make her CB :c

Tom_Cody

FINALLY DEFEATED THE PINK RATHIAN

They weren't kidding when they said that it was the first real wall in the game. This was the first monster I couldn't beat in my first try, took me like 4.

How satisfying it was to finally see that poisonous bitch go down. At least I can say that now I'm not 100% a scrub.

now to fight her again to make her CB :c
Great work!

I definitely hit my own walls early on.

jorgejjvr

You get true armor spheres from late high rank guild quests. I believe they are hard to get because you can only get them for around 10 quests before they become unavailable due to level up, though I may be wrong.

Regarding a blade master set, you have many options. You can try the Dokudodo set that is on gaijin hunter's channel. Mine comes with challenger +2, honed blade (Sharpness +1 and Attack up L), elemental attack up, razor sharp, and artillery novice (I use it for impact CB, and eat for attack and Felyne bombardier, I was lucky and got a Sharpness +7, Artillery +13 one slot charm but all you really need is 7 points in sharpness for the razor sharp. I'm bad at explaining, watch gaijin's video on the Dokudodo set). You can also make the UkaUkaU set (also on gaijin hunter's channel) which either gives you (or makes it easy to get, I forget which skills come with it) Sharpness +1, mind's eye, tremor resistance, weakness exploit, and perhaps 1-3 more skills. The best thing about it is that it has tons of slots. It's enough to have around 10 slots or more (again, I haven't used it in a while, unsure if it has ten slots without talisman slots). With a good charm, you may be easily able to get either challenger +2 or evade extender, but probably not both.

FINALLY, if you wait until July's DLC, we will be getting the Star Knight event quest armor, which comes automatically with Challenger +2, Rodeo God, and Steady Hand (Mind's eye and Razor Sharp). Want to see the crazy part though? The slots! Just look:

Star Knight Helm: OOO
Star knight chest: O
Star knight arms: OOO
Star knight waist: O
Star knight legs: OOO

With a three slot charm, you can have up to 14 slots!

Those are my suggestions, I hope I helped!

-Alternis

tuffy

Well, I just did it lol. Idk what was different this time but I beat him without fainting once! Used all my supplies though.
That's the important thing! Sometimes a little practice is all it takes.

In my case, I simply couldn't evade far enough to the sides to avoid his fiery horn flips, or far enough forward to get out from his jumping explosive blast, or far enough away to avoid his explosive fist pounds across the room. After taking about the fourth or fifth avoidable hit, I thought "this isn't going to work" and abandoned the quest. Fortunately, a good Evade Dist charm finally turned up not too longer afterward!

jorgejjvr

Well, I just did it lol. Idk what was different this time but I beat him without fainting once! Used all my supplies though.

If I can be perfectly honest with you, I was a huge CB user (still am), and I stayed away from those type of charge blades. The only exception is the True Ruiner Reaver for its blast (but brachydios and Teostra are nice too). I always used elemental charge blades. If I can be perfectly frank, I feel that had you used the Dah'ren Mohran water charge blade, things would've gone a lot smoother and easier. But hey, congratulations for breaking your obstacle! I used one charge blade for each element and had them all be elemental charge blades, but now in the end game I'm still using a charge blade for each element, but they're impact charge blades. As I stated before, the Dokudodo set and the food I eat maxes out their potential, with the phials being powered up like hell by Artillery novice and Felyne bombardier, all of my CBs have a natural attack above 1000 and reach upwards to 1400. Plus I have the potential to knock out a monster once or twice a hunt. So personally, my advice to you is to choose whichever phial type you prefer, elemental or impact, but I beg you to consider getting a charge blade for each element, then research what the monster you're up against is weak to, so you can exploit their elemental weakness. You have no clue how fast a Zinogre dies against ice, or a brachydios against water, or a rathalos against thunder/dragon, it'll make everything easier. The only time I use pure raw or status ailment charge blades are against hunts involving monsters that don't share weaknesses.

Once again, great job man! Truth be told, I had a little trouble with him too :p

-Alternis

You get true armor spheres from late high rank guild quests. I believe they are hard to get because you can only get them for around 10 quests before they become unavailable due to level up, though I may be wrong.

Regarding a blade master set, you have many options. You can try the Dokudodo set that is on gaijin hunter's channel. Mine comes with challenger +2, honed blade (Sharpness +1 and Attack up L), elemental attack up, razor sharp, and artillery novice (I use it for impact CB, and eat for attack and Felyne bombardier, I was lucky and got a Sharpness +7, Artillery +13 one slot charm but all you really need is 7 points in sharpness for the razor sharp. I'm bad at explaining, watch gaijin's video on the Dokudodo set). You can also make the UkaUkaU set (also on gaijin hunter's channel) which either gives you (or makes it easy to get, I forget which skills come with it) Sharpness +1, mind's eye, tremor resistance, weakness exploit, and perhaps 1-3 more skills. The best thing about it is that it has tons of slots. It's enough to have around 10 slots or more (again, I haven't used it in a while, unsure if it has ten slots without talisman slots). With a good charm, you may be easily able to get either challenger +2 or evade extender, but probably not both.

FINALLY, if you wait until July's DLC, we will be getting the Star Knight event quest armor, which comes automatically with Challenger +2, Rodeo God, and Steady Hand (Mind's eye and Razor Sharp). Want to see the crazy part though? The slots! Just look:

-Alternis

You're always helpful and thank you. I have been keeping an eye on Star Knight in the upcoming July DLC, I need a 4-6 Handicraft 3 slot charm ASAP if I want to gem Sharpness +1 on there AND another skill. I've also watched GH's vids a thousand times over regarding those sets but I didn't know if I'd be able to just jump right in and fight Teo and Uka with ~600 defense so I was looking to build something else in the interim to get me by till I was ready to fight those guys. All of the pieces of my sets require True Armor Spheres to level up. Dokudodo is furious Rajang right? My body isn't ready for that guy at all lol. I got kicked from a group trying to do the final quest for the Wyceum because a guy said my defense was too low so that has left me a bit jaded but that was just one group one time. Regarding the True Armor Spheres. I guess it may be time to level up that Velocidrome guild quest lol.

jorgejjvr

You're always helpful and thank you. I have been keeping an eye on Star Knight in the upcoming July DLC, I need a 4-6 Handicraft 3 slot charm ASAP if I want to gem Sharpness +1 on there AND another skill. I've also watched GH's vids a thousand times over regarding those sets but I didn't know if I'd be able to just jump right in and fight Teo and Uka with ~600 defense so I was looking to build something else in the interim to get me by till I was ready to fight those guys. All of the pieces of my sets require True Armor Spheres to level up. Dokudodo is furious Rajang right? My body isn't ready for that guy at all lol. I got kicked from a group trying to do the final quest for the Wyceum because a guy said my defense was too low so that has left me a bit jaded but that was just one group one time.

When I get back from vacation around the 19th or 20th, I'll gladly help. Honestly I think it would be best to make a different armor set like Seregios X or anything in the mid to high G rank levels, as they don't require true spheres. To my knowledge, true spheres are needed to turn high rank armor into G rank armor. You may think you're not ready to take on Teostra and Ukanlos, but I trust in your skill, companion. As long as you play smart and sincerely do your best to stay alive, I'll gladly help you hunt them alongside you. I'll help for as long as I can or until you make the armor set you wish, whichever comes first. If you've seen my previous posts, furious Rajang can be joined by G1 people, so if you'd be willing to give it a shot, I would gladly take all of his beatings and hunt him down as much as you'd like if it meant helping a fellow hunter :) However, Dokudodo is furious Rajang, Shah Dalamadur, and Rusted Kushala Daora, so you'd have to have a special permit. However, if you still want furious Rajang for his complete armor set in general or to acquire a weapon of his early, I'd help with that too.

-Alternis

Edit: Actually, Star Knight armor needs only six points towards handicraft to gem in Sharpness +1. So, a Handicraft +3 talisman with three slots would do. Or, if anything, any talisman with three slots (preferably with the other skill you're trying to gem in), and then simply put in two artisans jewels (which take up three slots to give three handicraft points. In this example, with a talisman with three slots, you'd be left with 8 slots, 2 single slots and 2 triple slots).

Was on the Miiverse yesterday and some guy was talking up the Savage Jho set and how he got razor sharp & sharpness +1 on it but it's only possible with his very much uncommon handicraft +7 tali.

tm24

Was on the Miiverse yesterday and some guy was talking up the Savage Jho set and how he got razor sharp & sharpness +1 on it but it's only possible with his very much uncommon handicraft +7 tali.

Nevermind, messed up the sharpness count. I can't figure out how it works now that i think about it

EDIT: According to my tinkering with Ping's, you need a Handicraft +5 OOO to make that set

jorgejjvr

Well that's natural. Handicraft jewels lower points towards razor sharp and razor sharp jewels lower points towards handicraft. However, skills like honed blade make it possible to get the two skills in sets like the Dokudodo while skills like steady hand make it remarkably easy to get those two with the Star Knight armor.

-Alternis

Sajjaja

If I can be perfectly honest with you, I was a huge CB user (still am), and I stayed away from those type of charge blades. The only exception is the True Ruiner Reaver for its blast (but brachydios and Teostra are nice too). I always used elemental charge blades. If I can be perfectly frank, I feel that had you used the Dah'ren Mohran water charge blade, things would've gone a lot smoother and easier. But hey, congratulations for breaking your obstacle! I used one charge blade for each element and had them all be elemental charge blades, but now in the end game I'm still using a charge blade for each element, but they're impact charge blades. As I stated before, the Dokudodo set and the food I eat maxes out their potential, with the phials being powered up like hell by Artillery novice and Felyne bombardier, all of my CBs have a natural attack above 1000 and reach upwards to 1400. Plus I have the potential to knock out a monster once or twice a hunt. So personally, my advice to you is to choose whichever phial type you prefer, elemental or impact, but I beg you to consider getting a charge blade for each element, then research what the monster you're up against is weak to, so you can exploit their elemental weakness. You have no clue how fast a Zinogre dies against ice, or a brachydios against water, or a rathalos against thunder/dragon, it'll make everything easier. The only time I use pure raw or status ailment charge blades are against hunts involving monsters that don't share weaknesses.

Once again, great job man! Truth be told, I had a little trouble with him too :p

-Alternis
Yeah youre right. But it's just so much more time to farm and stuff lol.

Speaking of which, I hit the jackpot yesterday and got a Handicraft+7/Evade Distance+7 talisman. Made the Kushala X armor and gemmed it for Sharpness+1, Evade Distance Up, and Evasion+3.

Nevermind, messed up the sharpness count. I can't figure out how it works now that i think about it

EDIT: According to my tinkering with Ping's, you need a Handicraft +5 OOO to make that set

Well that's natural. Handicraft jewels lower points towards razor sharp and razor sharp jewels lower points towards handicraft. However, skills like honed blade make it possible to get the two skills in sets like the Dokudodo while skills like steady hand make it remarkably easy to get those two with the Star Knight armor.

-Alternis
Oh i know but yeah you'd have to fight the minuses to get both without his +7, or like tm said have a +5 with 3 slots to get it to 11 and then use a razor gem to put it back to 10 and 10 each.
Speaking of which, I hit the jackpot yesterday and got a Handicraft+7/Evade Distance+7 talisman. Made the Kushala X armor and gemmed it for Sharpness+1, Evade Distance Up, and Evasion+3.
I like evade distance a lot, it's just a shame I don't have better talis for it. Especially one like that.

tuffy

Finding a FastCharge +6, Attack +14 charm must be the game's way of telling me to try out Great Swords or something. Still looking for a better Pierce Up charm to make my pierce shot sets a bit less hideous, though.

Since I really have no experience with the Glaive, I've been using the All-You-Can-Hunt Remobra quest for charm runs. Eat for Felyne Explorer, mine all the rare nodes southward on the way to the meteor cave, deliver the meteor to base camp, head north again to mine the last rare node, then subquest out. Takes under 4 minutes and works well enough for me.

Rawk Hawk

Finding a FastCharge +6, Attack +14 charm must be the game's way of telling me to try out Great Swords or something. Still looking for a better Pierce Up charm to make my pierce shot sets a bit less hideous, though.

Since I really have no experience with the Glaive, I've been using the All-You-Can-Hunt Remobra quest for charm runs. Eat for Felyne Explorer, mine all the rare nodes southward on the way to the meteor cave, deliver the meteor to base camp, head north again to mine the last rare node, then subquest out. Takes under 4 minutes and works well enough for me.

I like Mount Rescue more, all the Ioprey you need to kill will show up in Area 5, and I just have better luck in Heaven's Mount, so that's always an option as well.

When I get back from vacation around the 19th or 20th, I'll gladly help. Honestly I think it would be best to make a different armor set like Seregios X or anything in the mid to high G rank levels, as they don't require true spheres. To my knowledge, true spheres are needed to turn high rank armor into G rank armor. You may think you're not ready to take on Teostra and Ukanlos, but I trust in your skill, companion. As long as you play smart and sincerely do your best to stay alive, I'll gladly help you hunt them alongside you. I'll help for as long as I can or until you make the armor set you wish, whichever comes first. If you've seen my previous posts, furious Rajang can be joined by G1 people, so if you'd be willing to give it a shot, I would gladly take all of his beatings and hunt him down as much as you'd like if it meant helping a fellow hunter :) However, Dokudodo is furious Rajang, Shah Dalamadur, and Rusted Kushala Daora, so you'd have to have a special permit. However, if you still want furious Rajang for his complete armor set in general or to acquire a weapon of his early, I'd help with that too.

-Alternis

Edit: Actually, Star Knight armor needs only six points towards handicraft to gem in Sharpness +1. So, a Handicraft +3 talisman with three slots would do. Or, if anything, any talisman with three slots (preferably with the other skill you're trying to gem in), and then simply put in two artisans jewels (which take up three slots to give three handicraft points. In this example, with a talisman with three slots, you'd be left with 8 slots, 2 single slots and 2 triple slots).

Just checked my game and I was wrong. It's Divine Armor Spheres that are needed, not true, dunno how the hell I got the two confused...... I do have Regios X as well as my mish mash Sororal Head, Garuga Chest, Ex Rathian Bracers, Garuga Tassets, Velociprey Greaves set that gives me Sharp+1, Razor Sharp, Evade Extender, and Ear Plugs. We will catch up when you return from vacation (enjoy it!) So I am in need of Divine Armor Spheres to take my gear to the next level. Where do those drop from? Kiranico has no info on them.

jorgejjvr

Just checked my game and I was wrong. It's Divine Armor Spheres that are needed, not true, dunno how the hell I got the two confused...... I do have Regios X as well as my mish mash Sororal Head, Garuga Chest, Ex Rathian Bracers, Garuga Tassets, Velociprey Greaves set that gives me Sharp+1, Razor Sharp, Evade Extender, and Ear Plugs. We will catch up when you return from vacation (enjoy it!) So I am in need of Divine Armor Spheres to take my gear to the next level. Where do those drop from? Kiranico has no info on them.

In my opinion, from where you are now, try to make a full Seregios X set or any armor along those lines Cx you'll have plenty of time to get your beloved sharpness +1 as well as any other skills you may want later on in G rank, but as of now I think you should prioritize defense xP

Ah, you've reached THAT stage, huh? Well, your best bet of acquiring divine armor spheres are from killing noticeably difficult monsters in guild quests which are level 126+ and above (also known as super G rank, noticeably harder than regular G rank. Anything that is level 136+ is ULTRA G rank, where any monster can pretty much one shot you, two shot you if you're lucky. Though you can get them at 126+, ultra G rank is where the best materials are found and therefore the highest likelihood to acquire divine spheres). The higher the quest and the harder the monster, the more divine spheres. However, you only get them after the quest ends and is completed, so you may end up with 0-5, you never know. Thankfully for you, the game considers these monsters to be the hardest, and are most likely your best bet of getting those spheres. They're just a pain to grind since you need 8+ per armor piece Cx

Deviljho
Rajang
Teostra
Kushala Daora
Chameleos
Shagaru Magala

It's possible to get them from other quests, but if it's not against those guys, the chances of getting them aren't nearly as high (based on my experience, I grinded a lvl 140 Velocidrome like 10 times and didn't get a single sphere).

-Alternis

Edit: Remember, level 126+

tuffy

I like Mount Rescue more, all the Ioprey you need to kill will show up in Area 5, and I just have better luck in Heaven's Mount, so that's always an option as well.
That's a good idea. I'll try that later and see how the charm counts/clear times compare. Slapping a limiter back on the Najarala gun I've been using should make it pretty easy to bring down a lot of Iopreys in a hurry, too.

Rawk Hawk

That's a good idea. I'll try that later and see how the charm counts/clear times compare. Slapping a limiter back on the Najarala gun I've been using should make it pretty easy to bring down a lot of Iopreys in a hurry, too.

Yea, I usually can take them out without much issue. Although once in a while I do the mounting los one just for change of pace, but without any IG's made, it is certainly a slower run.

-Alternis

Man I want this armor. It's practically an IG user's dream.

Also, this is the first MH game where I have filled all 14 pages of my box. Inventory management has never been more painful lol.

upandaway

Also, this is the first MH game where I have filled all 14 pages of my box. Inventory management has never been more painful lol.
I'm getting there. Deleted all the garbage and insect husks, all the excess ore and orbs, for now pushed me back to 13 pages so I'm hanging in there.

They should really start grouping items with more than 99 into one slot. I have like 2 rows of honey, 4 rows of potions, an entire page+ of gun ammo, there's no point splitting it by 99 anymore.

I'm getting there. Deleted all the garbage and insect husks, all the excess ore and orbs, for now pushed me back to 13 pages so I'm hanging in there.

They should really start grouping items with more than 99 into one slot. I have like 2 rows of honey, 4 rows of potions, an entire page+ of gun ammo, there's no point splitting it by 99 anymore.

Agreed. I've got stones, wyvern claws/fangs, honeys, potions, etc out the ass..some of which I can't combine cause I'm lacking in some other material I haven't farmed yet. I found stray event items as well, since the game likes to give you 1 every quest until you're 1 away, then give you 2 or 3. =|

Call me a hoarder if you want, but I want to make all the cool weapons/armor in the game lol.

jorgejjvr

Man I want this armor. It's practically an IG user's dream.

It's the only armor I use when using the glaive xD

I add divine protection, speed sharpening, and sharpness +1 easily (it has 4 points towards handicraft). It's probably the only armor that can give its users every sharpness skill.

-Alternis

Edit: All you guys talking about completely filling your item box while meanwhile I have my EQUIPMENT box full. SO. MANY. RARE. 10. TAILSMEN.

I'd like to make the Fatalis Great Sword but it isn't showing up to make. I have like every part of the Fatalis but it doesn't won't show up. I even have the zinogre umbrage, too. Any idea why?

Thanks for the hunts, everyone. And thanks for hosting that G-rank Silver Rath. I still need 5 Cortexes and a Mantle for that bow upgrade, so it's probably gonna be a slog.

tuffy

Edit: All you guys talking about completely filling your item box while meanwhile I have my EQUIPMENT box full. SO. MANY. RARE. 10. TAILSMEN.
I've gone through my talisman box and just sold off a bunch of redundant ones outright. Like if I have a Skill +6 charm, it's pointless to keep a Skill +5 charm unless it has some positive points in some other skill, or more slots available. Or for really cheap skills, I'll get rid of them if they can be replaced by any 3 slot charm.

Polishing and trading in junk relics for points is another easy way to open up a lot of equipment box slots. It's also an easy way to accumulate tons of Caravan Points.

Top Bottom