• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

jorgejjvr

Assuming that I can get HG earplugs into a Star Knight set, would HG earplugs be better than both speed sharpening and divine protection? I ask because, for the most part, with 3 essences, you have regular earplugs already, and that is useful enough on its own.

Which skill, regardless of how large it is, would you say is better or more important than both divine protection and speed sharpening?

-Alternis

Wolfe

I'm just kinda tired of everything and don't really have a direction any more.

What do you guys do for charm farming, the Sovereign of the Sky quest?

I do mountain rescue for the ioprey kills since I don't really play IG, only takes me 5 minutes a run so it's not a huge difference. When I have enough Vile Frenzy crystals I meld, well I meld regardless but just doing the 3 for 1 enduring until I run out of charms to junk or get more vile frenzys.

As for play, I usually check the board when I get home after work (around midnight on the west coast) but typically just look for another gaffer posting a room since I have bad luck filling them myself. But yeah, has seemed a bit less active lately.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Assuming that I can get HG earplugs into a Star Knight set, would HG earplugs be better than both speed sharpening and divine protection? I ask because, for the most part, with 3 essences, you have regular earplugs already, and that is useful enough on its own.

Which skill, regardless of how large it is, would you say is better or more important than both divine protection and speed sharpening?

-Alternis

If you're doing a lot of mounting I'd say HG Earplugs are god-tier as you can just keep hacking away while the monster roars. Protection is good, but unless you use a weapon with really thin sharpness you don't sharpen much. I'd try each other and see what you like best.

Shengar

Game is slow for me right now. I'm doing some switch axing, but I'm mostly playing offline inbetween other activites or waiting times for other games, so I need to be able to pause whenever.
Sad because I caught the game again with the movement and combo I just found with DB :(

-Alternis

Why do you so obsessive over Speed Sharpening? I mean, with Edge Lore and a weapon with decent chunk of sharpness that is not a DB, you'll rarely sharpen and even so you can do it while the monster moving to different area. While indeed you get regular earplugs with full buff, endgame monster, Rajang, Deviljho, Elder Dragons, and later Silver Rathalos and Gold Rathian, all requires HG earplugs to work. HG Earplugs is a much better as it is an offensive that allows to potentially trip monster as they roar.

Leezard

Sad because I caught the game again with the movement and combo I just found with DB :(
I mean it's fun but I don't really have a goal since I have all the equipment I want and I can't bother to hunt for more relic weapons, so playing when I have a bit of downtime is enough. I didn't really do that for a couple of days until I picked up the Switch Axe. :)
Why do you so obsessive over Speed Sharpening? I mean, with Edge Lore and a weapon with decent chunk of sharpness that is not a DB, you'll rarely sharpen and even so you can do it while the monster moving to different area. While indeed you get regular earplugs with full buff, endgame monster, Rajang, Deviljho, Elder Dragons, and later Silver Rathalos and Gold Rathian, all requires HG earplugs to work. HG Earplugs is a much better as it is an offensive that allows to potentially trip monster as they roar.

Rajang actually only requires regular earplugs. But yeah, speed sharpening is kind of redundant once you have sharpness+1 + razor sharp with Star Knight.

Who was I playing with a few days ago that had the Japanese DLC? I have some friends who'll be reaching Gog soon and it'd be nice if I could finish up that Rath bow upgrade.

tuffy

I'm just kinda tired of everything and don't really have a direction any more.

What do you guys do for charm farming, the Sovereign of the Sky quest?
I'm still doing the All-You-Can-Hunt Remobra. I tried Mountain Rescue but couldn't always get the Ioprey to cooperate, so its clear times would be somewhat variable. With the Remobra one I have Pro Transporter in my charm set and finish it very consistently at about 4 minutes depending on how many times I can mine blue nodes.

Coming up with a pierce shot set for the Furia Sedition that doesn't look like a clown suit is going to require some godly 3 slot Pierce +8 charm which I'll probably never find. So I may go with full Kujula (w. blademaster helm) and use Peak Performance instead - even if that skill seems to attract Konchus from far and wide. I'll have to run some comparison hunts to see just how well it works.

jorgejjvr

I'm guessing divide protection and sneak don't make much of a difference? HG earplugs still for the win?

-Alternis

Edit: So would this set be okay?

Steady Hand
Challenger +2
Sharpness +1
Rodeo God
HG Earplugs

Wolfe

Speaking of relics, does anyone have...

Ok nevermind, after I typed the above (minus the periods) I went to see which GQ I needed still for Damascus and it turns out I have the right quests for the set lol.

Unfortunately 3 out of those 5 quests are Kushala, hate doing that guys GQ, Deviljho and O. Kirin I don't mind as much. Either way, was nice to see I already had the quests I need since I don't really have that many GQ to begin with.

So for the foreseeable future I'll be leveling these guys up (lowest one being a Jho at 107 and the rest being 118 or 120) and I will post before doing so to see if anyone wants to tag along and take turns posting quests. Tonight after I get off work being the first run if anyones planning on being on around midnight pacific time.

Damascus! Black knight armor with horns and a cape, how cool! :p

Edit: Ok one relic GQ I'm still looking for is a CB bias Brachy or Brute Tigrex (for the elite blade skin). If anyone has one of these and is willing to send it my way I'd greatly appreciate it :)

I'm doing the Diablos event quest because it feels easiest for getting Zeniths, and I need both. If no one is into that, well, I do want to do some Zamtrios (HR,G) farming for his IG.

61-0745-3728-2931

Did it dissolve?

I'm guessing divide protection and sneak don't make much of a difference? HG earplugs still for the win?

-Alternis

Edit: So would this set be okay?

Steady Hand
Challenger +2
Sharpness +1
Rodeo God
HG Earplugs
I have this exact set to its perfect for IG and any blademaster weapon

Got to HR7, holy shit is Silver Rath crazy. I've got blue sharpness and it still bounces off his head!

Silver Rathalos's weak point is the Wing and the Back. Aim for those if possible.

Here are his stats..

edit: I just unlocked Bad Hair Rajang in Caravan 10. Someone give me tips on this Furious Rajang? I'm a CB user. I intend to get all the materials from Furious Rajang to make his armor set. Is this a feasible route?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Silver Rathalos's weak point is the Wing and the Back. Aim for those if possible.

Here are his stats..

edit: I just unlocked Bad Hair Rajang in Caravan 10. Someone give me tips on this Furious Rajang? I'm a CB user. I intend to get all the materials from Furious Rajang to make his armor set. Is this a feasible route?

I'd do what this guy did and just stun-lock him. Is it cheap as hell? Totally. Is Rajang an asshole? Yes he is. Should you feel guilty? Not a bit.

Renewed

Here are his stats..

I use GS so I look for the moments where he'll be immobile longest. Things like his blanka ball can be taken advantage of (I throw a level 3 GS charge when I know where he'll land). He has a combo that involves kicking back with the hind legs and then sweeping forward. Knowing where he stops is where I also get off another good hit. Beam is also great and that's where I get him on lock.

deim0s

Ok...

3SqKSAG.png

Eating for Felyne Explorer whenever it's possible online. Impolite or OK?

I don't see any reason why it'll be impolite - a few seconds of farming wouldn't hurt. Besides, you can spawn there anyway
if the desire sensor lets you

Greddleok

So I've hit caravan 9 and I'm feeling a little burnt out. I've had the same armor set on for a while now - the high rank tetsucabra set - and nothing else seems to be worth the effort for the upgrade.

I think I need to learn more about armor, I'm basically going for the best defence, but maybe I'm at the point that I should be thinking about other things now too.

upandaway

So I've hit caravan 9 and I'm feeling a little burnt out. I've had the same armor set on for a while now - the high rank tetsucabra set - and nothing else seems to be worth the effort for the upgrade.

I think I need to learn more about armor, I'm basically going for the best defence, but maybe I'm at the point that I should be thinking about other things now too.
Which weapons do you use?

You gotta make armor with skills that compliment your weapon and playstyle. Start looking at G rank armors.

spiritfox

I spent about 150 hours on bow but I've since moved on to Switch Axe.

What is your HR/G rank?

I'm just a Gog away from G Special so I'm looking at endgame stuff. I have a set planned out with the following (Seregios Bow of course):

Focus
Load Up
Rapid Up
Evade Extender

Just seeing if I can get some other skills, or if there are other skills I should go for.

Greddleok

Which weapons do you use?

You gotta make armor with skills that compliment your weapon and playstyle. Start looking at G rank armors.

I use the IG 90% of the time, and occasionally the LS.

No idea how to tell what's G-rank and what's H-rank from the game.
I've not done much multiplayer because I wanted to get good before I jumped in there and ruined it for everyone, and now the starting missions are too easy.

co1onel

Any Bow users here? What's a good set for Bow?

Mixed or full set? If you wanna go mixed, use the kaiser chest with two torso up pieces. This pretty much gives you brutality (weakness exploit and criteye+2) and load up, plus a few points in attack up. Then you can easily use your charm and the other armor pieces to gem in focus, normal up and attack up.

If you want a full set, or feel safer with some evasion up, then use the full kushala set. It'll give you evasion+1, focus and 3 points towards load up. Then just gem in load up and normal up and you're good to go.

Tom_Cody

I'm just a Gog away from G Special so I'm looking at endgame stuff. I have a set planned out with the following (Seregios Bow of course):

Focus
Load Up
Rapid Up
Evade Extender

Just seeing if I can get some other skills, or if there are other skills I should go for.
I would recommend Evasion + skills versus Evade Extender.

Mixed or full set? If you wanna go mixed, use the kaiser chest with two torso up pieces. This pretty much gives you brutality (weakness exploit and criteye+2) and load up, plus a few points in attack up. Then you can easily use your charm and the other armor pieces to gem in focus, normal up and attack up.

If you want a full set, or feel safer with some evasion up, then use the full kushala set. It'll give you evasion+1, focus and 3 points towards load up. Then just gem in load up and normal up and you're good to go.
I can't really improve on this, at least regarding building sets around the Kama Sedition.

I personally enjoy pierce as well, but I don't know if you also want to try that route.

Rawk Hawk

No one playing or anything? Thread been very quite for sometime. Maybe it's just the E3 hype I hope.

Wasn't so much the hype for me, just while I'm at work and able to post, GAF wasn't loading. haha.

I ended up getting a couple interesting GQs, I saw a future post of yours about some, I'd love to start leveling them up. I have a lv105 O. Kirin/Seregios with Hammer/HH that I'd like to get some relic weapons from once it's high enough.

jorgejjvr

Here are his stats..

Yeah, I farmed him a lot for his armor and charge blaze that I didn't end up using because the Glaive consumed me. Personally, my advice is to definitely use ice. Either Trios Tristesse or Daora's Thwartoise. Honestly, I was never able to get those Ghoulish Gold Gorers unless I was equipped with a pitfall trap and materials to make two more while focusing only on the head. After I broke both horns, I ended via sub quest (80% chance for 1 GGG). Regarding the actual fight, I'd recommend bringing palicos, as you wouldn't want Aggro the entire hunt. He's just like any other monsters, simply study his moves. I'd recommend evading if possible and blocking the homing attacks like the blanka balls (even if he does 3, it's likely 2 balls is what you need to block) and the ground pound that causes tremors. Go for his front legs when you can. When they aren't hardened, they seemed to be the weakest spot. Besides that, go for the back legs, and try to trip. Don't attack too much, if you're in SnS mode, try to only let out one charging Attack and the roundhouse slash, and then sheathe. Axe mode is tricky, you'll be able to either land a single regular axe Attack, or any of the 1, 2, or 3 bursts. However, I'd recommend doing the bursts when he is tripped. Based on experience, you only have enough time for the double burst swing or for the triple burst pulled back explosion (you need to be EXTREMELY quick though).

Other than that, good luck man!

-Alternis

Rawk Hawk

Yeah, I farmed him a lot for his armor and charge blaze that I didn't end up using because the Glaive consumed me. Personally, my advice is to definitely use ice. Either Trios Tristesse or Daora's Thwartoise. Honestly, I was never able to get those Ghoulish Gold Gorers unless I was equipped with a pitfall trap and materials to make two more while focusing only on the head. After I broke both horns, I ended via sub quest (80% chance for 1 GGG). Regarding the actual fight, I'd recommend bringing palicos, as you wouldn't want Aggro the entire hunt. He's just like any other monsters, simply study his moves. I'd recommend evading if possible and blocking the homing attacks like the blanka balls (even if he does 3, it's likely 2 balls is what you need to block) and the ground pound that causes tremors. Go for his front legs when you can. When they aren't hardened, they seemed to be the weakest spot. Besides that, go for the back legs, and try to trip. Don't attack too much, if you're in SnS mode, try to only let out one charging Attack and the roundhouse slash, and then sheathe. Axe mode is tricky, you'll be able to either land a single regular axe Attack, or any of the 1, 2, or 3 bursts. However, I'd recommend doing the bursts when he is tripped. Based on experience, you only have enough time for the double burst swing or for the triple burst pulled back explosion (you need to be EXTREMELY quick though).

Other than that, good luck man!

-Alternis

To piggy back some ideas, bring farcasters and don't hesitate to leave the area for healing and sharpening. He hits really hard, but is a glass cannon. My first time taking him down I did a hit and run strategy that took a while, but was fairly safe. Basically try to attack him, and flee as soon as I took damage. I even ran back to the bed a couple times on foot to save healing items.

spiritfox

I would recommend Evasion + skills versus Evade Extender.

I can't really improve on this, at least regarding building sets around the Kama Sedition.

I personally enjoy pierce as well, but I don't know if you also want to try that route.

I prefer Evade Extender over Evade+, but that just personal preferences.

Athena's not giving me a valid build with Focus, Ruthlessness, Load Up, Normal Up, and Attack Up. But not having AU is fine, I guess. A bit worried about not having an defensive skill though.

Edit: Ah, I need Skull Visage. Fuck that then.

tuffy

Looks aside, the bigger problem with both the Skull and Black Belt head pieces is that they're class-specific, so gunners have to use the gunner version. And because they're both high rank parts, their defense maxes out at 80. That's almost 20% less defense than the usual caps you'll find at the end of G rank, and almost 40% less defense than slapping on a blademaster helm.

Gunner armor is squishy enough as it is, so I can't justify those pieces no matter what sort of skills they'd enable.

Shengar

Wasn't so much the hype for me, just while I'm at work and able to post, GAF wasn't loading. haha.

I ended up getting a couple interesting GQs, I saw a future post of yours about some, I'd love to start leveling them up. I have a lv105 O. Kirin/Seregios with Hammer/HH that I'd like to get some relic weapons from once it's high enough.
Just posted when you're ready. I have made so many DBs and yet there isn't many opportunity to test their effectiveness these days.
But I probably can join in about 6-7 hours later since it's already night here and I can't pull an all nighter.
Make the black belt helm then?

I don't get the whole dislike towards Skull, if you color match it to the main color of your set, it looks fine! Plus I can totally pull off a Red Skull look with my Kaiser sets.

Well I indeed going as far as taking Arena quest for the black belt helm and I could said its worth it!
I think Skull is fine for male character, but I could see how it'll be stand out for female sets.

Tom_Cody

I prefer Evade Extender over Evade+, but that just personal preferences.

Athena's not giving me a valid build with Focus, Ruthlessness, Load Up, Normal Up, and Attack Up. But not having AU is fine, I guess. A bit worried about not having an defensive skill though.

Edit: Ah, I need Skull Visage. Fuck that then.
Interesting. I personally value Evasion+ with bow as it helps with evading through beams and tail swipes. What is the advantage of Evade Extender? Getting away from leaping attacks? I'm not challenging you, I'm just curious.

I use Evade Extender on all of my Switch Axe sets, but the application is completely different. With SA, I use it to aid in repositioning while hacking and slashing. And also to some extent for traveling across the field when the monster jumps away (but not far enough away to warrant sheathing and running).

Rawk Hawk

Just posted when you're ready. I have made so many DBs and yet there isn't many opportunity to test their effectiveness these days.
But I probably can join in about 6-7 hours later since it's already night here and I can't pull an all nighter.

Well I indeed going as far as taking Arena quest for the black belt helm and I could said its worth it!
I think Skull is fine for male character, but I could see how it'll be stand out for female sets.

Certainly, also I know I have a HR Brute Tigrex and G rank Brachy, although not sure their weapons. When I get home from work I'll check, I noticed you were looking for some. I amount about 10 hours from being able to play, so not sure our time difference, usually 8 pm EST is when I'm hunting for the 3DS to log on.

spiritfox

Interesting. I personally value Evasion+ with bow as it helps with evading through beams and tail swipes. What is the advantage of Evade Extender? Getting away from leaping attacks? I'm not challenging you, I'm just curious.

I use Evade Extender on all of my Switch Axe sets, but the application is completely different. With SA, I use it to aid in repositioning while hacking and slashing. And also to some extent for traveling across the field when the monster jumps away (but not far enough away to warrant sheathing and running).

It's more from playing slower weapons like HBG and SA. I'm more comfortable dodging with it, and it's only 10 points. I might try Evasion+ with Bow and see if it clicks.

CPCunha

Don't know if you guys can help me or not... i held off till e3 cus i really wanted the regular size n3DS but since that announcement didn't came, i'll try and make the best of the situation... i'm looking for a MonHun special edition n3DS...

any hunter out there with good tips on how to secure this beast?

Tom_Cody

Question:
How much do you guys value Sharpness +1 in end-game sets? I have been viewing Handicraft as essential, but I'm sort of realizing that the opportunity cost is greatly limiting my offensive skill options.

I was Bow only up through the end of High Rank (outside of some experimentation) at which point I picked up the Switch Axe. Being late to the Blademaster party, I kind of side-stepped the issue of sharpness for a number of reasons (the SA has built in Mind's Eye in sword mode and Regios/Regios makes sharpness a non-issue).

Anyway, what are your personal sharpness standards? Do you tend towards Sharpness +1, or do you prefer to mix in Mind's Eye, Razor Sharp, and/or other offensive skills?

Top Bottom