• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

jorgejjvr

Just high. Haven't fought him in G yet. I made his charge blade and assumed I'd be able to make that too.

Are we talking about black Fatalis or Crimson Fatalis here? I believe it is Crimson Fatalis. As some weapons can be crafted from high rank materials (like the charge blade), while others require the G rank Crimson fatalis (like the glaive or hammer).

-Alternis

Are we talking about black Fatalis or Crimson Fatalis here? I believe it is Crimson Fatalis. As some weapons can be crafted from high rank materials (like the charge blade), while others require the G rank Crimson fatalis (like the glaive or hammer).

-Alternis

Unless kiranico is wrong I believe I have all of the materials. I'll try and fight G Crimson Fatalis and see if it shows up.

It's the only armor I use when using the glaive xD

I add divine protection, speed sharpening, and sharpness +1 easily (it has 4 points towards handicraft). It's probably the only armor that can give its users every sharpness skill.

-Alternis

Edit: All you guys talking about completely filling your item box while meanwhile I have my EQUIPMENT box full. SO. MANY. RARE. 10. TAILSMEN.

Wow nice. July is going to be amazing for me (since I'm playing by the book and waiting for the quest). Do you find a need for evasion+ with IG, or am I just spoiling myself by adding it on?

My talisman luck is absolute crap so my equipment box is relatively empty hah.

Wolfe

Personally I don't have many things higher than a stack of 99 (honey, some ores/spheres) but for the most part I go through and sell off monster parts above 20 every now and then as any single item isn't going to use more than 20 and any armor set I want I'll likely already have made or at least made part of it by now. Also my charms, I am constantly re-melding them so I don't have many outside of the few I've deemed worthy of hanging onto.

And this is as someone with 20+ G rank armors, between 5 and 10 high rank armor and over a full page of weapons + whatever relics I'm currently holding onto (granted I'm still mainly just playing CB so I don't have a ton of non CB or Hammer weaps atm). I know that pales in comparison to some of your guys armor/weapon collections but it just never seemed hard to not run out of space in either box.

jorgejjvr

Wow nice. July is going to be amazing for me (since I'm playing by the book and waiting for the quest). Do you find a need for evasion+ with IG, or am I just spoiling myself by adding it on?

My talisman luck is absolute crap so my equipment box is relatively empty hah.

Personally I have never used nor will I use evasion for glaives. I find them evasive enough to be honest with you. Half the time, any attack I could evade with the skill I could evade without it, especially since you could roll out of a combo quite easily. The only exception is sometimes after pole vaulting but even then you can still roll out fast (or press A after a pole vault to do a lunge forward).

I personally prefer the simpler and smaller things. Like I said, with a set like star knight that gives mind's eye, razor sharp, challenger +2, Rodeo God, and sharpness +1, I added speed sharpening to compliment sharpness even further. As for the divine protection, my gimmick is to have divine protection, eat for defense food (More specifically for Felyne Defender Hi), and have all my glaives honed for defense. That way, with all those three, I have a 58% chance to take less damage. So even if I do get hit, I often take a fraction of the damage. This has allowed me to survive a level 140 Rajang's blanka balls and laser.

-Alternis

Personally I have never used nor will I use evasion for glaives. I find them evasive enough to be honest with you. Half the time, any attack I could evade with the skill I could evade without it, especially since you could roll out of a combo quite easily. The only exception is sometimes after pole vaulting but even then you can still roll out fast (or press A after a pole vault to do a lunge forward).

I personally prefer the simpler and smaller things. Like I said, with a set like star knight that gives mind's eye, razor sharp, challenger +2, Rodeo God, and sharpness +1, I added speed sharpening to compliment sharpness even further. As for the divine protection, my gimmick is to have divine protection, eat for defense food (More specifically for Felyne Defender Hi), and have all my glaives honed for defense. That way, with all those three, I have a 58% chance to take less damage. So even if I do get hit, I often take a fraction of the damage. This has allowed me to survive a level 140 Rajang's blanka balls and laser.

-Alternis

Cool. My latest set is lacking evasion +2, and I feel like I'm missing it a lot myself. It seems to get me out of the weirder hitboxes in the game. I'm still coping well with it though. I'd love to hunt with you sometime and see your set in action. The defensive set sounds like a great idea, right now I'm pure offense.

Renoir

So... Wyceum isn't the same as wycoon??! Wtf...
Beat story. Is there like nu game +.. Credits are still rolling right now.

*edit: game keeps going. Honing unlocked now. Caravan 10 opened.
Man. What a good game. $ on this game was well spent.

Pila

Soooo... what's the GAF consensus about kicking players out of the room?

I was in some random room yesterday, trying to get some materials and helping people with their quests. I'm not a pro player sadly, I cart sometimes and I'm fine when others do the same, I don't play with that elitist attitude, I'm average really; we can try the quest again, no biggie. Anyway, there were some very bad players, you know what I mean. I'm totally fine with people being clueless in low rank rooms but it was a G room and you should manage a Kecha Wacha really... I was the only one trying to save the day with some lifepowders, I saw a guy who gemmed ALL his slots without activating a skill, not even a single one. At some point I was fighting on my own, they were all over the map doing their own business. I felt like kicking them but I didn't wanna be an ass so I quitted the room. Maybe I did the wrong thing, maybe I should explain the basics? Typing on the 3DS is awful, I don't feel like explaining the skill system on that touchscreen.

Opinions?

Wolfe

Tbh while it's not the best the game does explain all of the mechanics and systems within. If you are in G rank without knowing how to gem for skills then that's kind of on you. Now you're plenty welcome to try and educate them if you like, but with the 3DS' fairly shitty chat setup I do not blame you in the slightest for not wanting to either as I wouldn't myself lol.

Well if the person asked for help/advice it would be different, but the 3DS chat is so bad I would not bother for that reason alone. I'm fine chattin with gaffers and whatnot but trying to explain things (for example) to complete strangers can be quite the task in this game. Hell even if you use the chat presets for typical stuff you're still super restricted based on amount of text it allows you alone.

I think you took the best route by just leaving as you did. Edit: especially in the situation you described where it doesn't appear as though they're even attempting to contribute. Had a guy do that in my GQ one time after I let him join despite his underpowered gear, wanted to give him a chance then he just hung out in camp so after a few minutes of that (while the rest of us were fighting) I said screw it and had the other abandon with me. I don't mind someone not being very good at the game, I'm not that great myself, just bugs me when someone expects or desires me to just do the work for them while they dick off.

Edit 2: about the act of kicking itself, I only do that if someone joins my room and post a quest when I already have one posted. I've had enough people do that and then leave on the quest by themselves while I'm waiting for the room to fill that I just don't give them the opportunity anymore. Have no idea why you would join someone elses room to post a quest when they already have one up, makes no sense.

Shengar

While MH learning curve is rather steep, but really, Capcom do everything they can to make this game noob friendly. Help function, tutorial that gives you sense of progression, monsters that evenly spread throughout LR, slowly introducing the main gameplay feature so new player not get overwhelmed, LR*6 where you fight HR monster but start with supply and from the camp just like LR, and so on. If G Rank people don't have a fucking clue on how skills work in this game, the fault is on them and they deserved to be kicked.

With stuff like this or people not having Drivestones for fighting Apex monsters makes me wish that gamers in general to read more on what the game said. except when they are cringeworthy, but really, we're talking 8-4 here, one of the best localization company. Their humor is always spot on and their explanation on the game mechanics feel natural to me.

jorgejjvr

Cool. My latest set is lacking evasion +2, and I feel like I'm missing it a lot myself. It seems to get me out of the weirder hitboxes in the game. I'm still coping well with it though. I'd love to hunt with you sometime and see your set in action. The defensive set sounds like a great idea, right now I'm pure offense.

Sure thing! I'd love to be able to show you my set in action someday! I'll be online around the 19th and 20th. Ah, I know that feeling, once you're used to something it becomes hard to adjust to hunting without it. But do not fret, friend, without evasion skills, you just need to change the manner of how you evade, that's all. I wouldn't call my set defensive, because honestly it's both extremely defensive and extremely offensive. The reason for this is that all of my kinsects have extract extender and extract efficacy up (among other things). Now, my set (with a honed weapon) has 846 defense naturally and 861 defense while eating for Felyne Defender Hi. In the battlefield, assuming I take my weakest glaive (Emperor Boltbrute at 713 base Attack) and have every power and armor charm and talon, as soon as I get all three essences, my defense will become an astonishing 929 (914 if I faint and lose the food bonus) plus the 58% divine protection! Now, the reason it is offensive because if I have all three essences, surely my Attack will increase, right? But if I have all three essences while the monster is angry? The buff is so large that it causes a weapon with 713 attack to end up with 1044 attack! On the higher end of my glaives, I've seen 1300 attack! The best part? With effect extender on my kinsects, instead of the three essences lasting 45 seconds to a minute, my triple essences last for a whopping 3-5 minutes (I forget).

-Alternis

Edit: If you don't mind me asking, which weird hitboxes specifically are you referring to?

Edit 2: No worries, I have my own "offensive" class as well in the form of my customized Dokudodo set for charge blades. I use that term lightly because even though my phials are powered up and my blades are over 1100-1300 attack, I still end up with 845 base defense (with a honed weapon) and the ability to block (I could end up with 860, but I'd eat for attack over defense with this set).

Edit 3: Also, I'd say a good portion of GAF has seen me use the glaive, and I think that they could back me up when I say that besides when a Rajang occasionally does animation after animation, I rarely fail a mount and could repeatedly mount a normal monster (one that moves between areas) up to 7 times effectively, helping the whole team out. Also, as my challenge says, I could usually finish a mount in less than 10 seconds against most monsters.

Pila

Tbh while it's not the best the game does explain all of the mechanics and systems within. If you are in G rank without knowing how to gem for skills then that's kind of on you. Now you're plenty welcome to try and educate them if you like, but with the 3DS' fairly shitty chat setup I do not blame you in the slightest for not wanting to either as I wouldn't myself lol.

Well if the person asked for help/advice it would be different, but the 3DS chat is so bad I would not bother for that reason alone. I'm fine chattin with gaffers and whatnot but trying to explain things (for example) to complete strangers can be quite the task in this game. Hell even if you use the chat presets for typical stuff you're still super restricted based on amount of text it allows you alone.

I think you took the best route by just leaving as you did. Edit: especially in the situation you described where it doesn't appear as though they're even attempting to contribute. Had a guy do that in my GQ one time after I let him join despite his underpowered gear, wanted to give him a chance then he just hung out in camp so after a few minutes of that (while the rest of us were fighting) I said screw it and had the other abandon with me. I don't mind someone not being very good at the game, I'm not that great myself, just bugs me when someone expects or desires me to just do the work for them while they dick off.

Edit 2: about the act of kicking itself, I only do that if someone joins my room and post a quest when I already have one posted. I've had enough people do that and then leave on the quest by themselves while I'm waiting for the room to fill that I just don't give them the opportunity anymore. Have no idea why you would join someone elses room to post a quest when they already have one up, makes no sense.

While MH learning curve is rather steep, but really, Capcom do everything they can to make this game noob friendly. Help function, tutorial that gives you sense of progression, monsters that evenly spread throughout LR, slowly introducing the main gameplay feature so new player not get overwhelmed, LR*6 where you fight HR monster but start with supply and from the camp just like LR, and so on. If G Rank people don't have a fucking clue on how skills work in this game, the fault is on them and they deserved to be kicked.

With stuff like this or people not having Drivestones for fighting Apex monsters makes me wish that gamers in general to read more on what the game said. except when they are cringeworthy, but really, we're talking 8-4 here, one of the best localization company. Their humor is always spot on and their explanation on the game mechanics feel natural to me.

Sorry for my late reply, sudden emergency at work.

I'm glad to see people here agree with me, I really don't wanna be a snob, kicking out players doesn't feel good to me, at all. That doesn't mean I wanna play G with people who don't even activate skills, at some point you have to start learning the basics or just buy a new game.

They were at least trying with the Kecha but when we started a berserk tetsu they panicked and start exploring the map ^^ I was spamming "Help!" and one of them actually joined me and carted after a few seconds :/ dunno, I hope they'll find gaijinhunter tumbrl or something, they're not gonna last long in G playing like that.

Tom_Cody

Sorry for my late reply, sudden emergency at work.

I'm glad to see people here agree with me, I really don't wanna be a snob, kicking out players doesn't feel good to me, at all. That doesn't mean I wanna play G with people who don't even activate skills, at some point you have to start learning the basics or just buy a new game.

They were at least trying with the Kecha but when we started a berserk tetsu they panicked and start exploring the map ^^ I was spamming "Help!" and one of them actually joined me and carted after a few seconds :/ dunno, I hope they'll find gaijinhunter tumbrl or something, they're not gonna last long in G playing like that.
Related to his, is Old/White Fatalis even out? Or is it DLC that hasn't been released yet?

I was fighting/farming Red Fatalis last night (my final end-game Switch Axe) and I entered a room with a guy who had White Fatalis armor. Was he definitely a hacker? He was Gold Crown, but he didn't know how to fight at all. His carting cost us the fight.

This experience has made me wonder how many of the clueless G-rankers I've encountered were merely hackers.

Kater

Banned
I learned most of the things that I know now thanks to GH and this OT and I think it's really on those players to educate themselves. Being awfully equipped for a fight in G-Rank and having no skills active is a good reason to kick someone, as is people not helping but instead going into a different area and just hanging out. I did that once when I only played online for a week maybe but it was with GAFfers I knew on a quest to hunt Rajang (who carted me twice since I never fought him before), I don't do that ever since then since I felt really sorry for it, didn't even carve him out of respect for all the work the other players put in.

I was fighting/farming Red Fatalis last night (my final end-game Switch Axe) and I entered a room with a guy who had White Fatalis armor. Was he definitely a hacker? He was Gold Crown, but he didn't know how to fight at all. His carting cost us the fight.

I believe he is available in JP DLC.

jorgejjvr

Related to his, is Old/White Fatalis even out? Or is it DLC that hasn't been released yet?

This experience has made me wonder how many of the clueless G-rankers I've encountered were merely hackers.

I don't think he was a hacker, he merely got the DLC early. In fact, we have a fellow NeoGaffer just like that. His name is tm24 (if I recall correctly), who has all released and unreleased DLC, including white Fatalis.

-Alternis

Trying my hand at Splatoon right now (cause I needed a MH break) and i'm being paired up against people twice my level and higher. *i'm only lvl 5

jorgejjvr

Trying my hand at Splatoon right now (cause I needed a MH break) and i'm being paired up against people twice my level and higher. *i'm only lvl 5

You arrived a arrived a little late, friend XD

Splatoon is super fun, but I find it hard to engage in long play sessions.

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

Yeah that's how it sure feels. lvl 20s? Really game?

Sure, they keep adding content rather often, but something about it (I am a level 20 myself), especially in ranked, gets boring after awhile. Especially with random teammates and the lack of game pad only play. Frankly, I feel that it is repetitive, two maps for four hours, matches that don't last too long, and a lack of a variety to a certain degree. In the end you're just shooting paint, and it's super fun, but it doesn't feel like there is really anything else to do. No achievements, challenges, optional things, things to achieve, etc.

It's still a great game though, don't get me wrong. It is just my opinion that it gets boring after a while.

-Alternis

Edit: The campaign is nice and different and also fun on its own, but once again, you're just shooting paint. However, the different mechanics per level and the boss fights are amazing.

Edit 2: Regarding MH4U, Would you guys prefer a powerful and useful insect glaive user on your team or a powerful and useful charge blade user on your team? I'm having difficulty choosing, seeing as I'm effective and rarely cart with both (usually due to misfortune or getting overconfident in lower ranked quests). So really, I'll leave it up to my fellow hunters. What would you guys prefer?

PrankT

Sure, they keep adding content rather often, but something about it (I am a level 20 myself), especially in ranked, gets boring after awhile. Especially with random teammates and the lack of game pad only play. Frankly, I feel that it is repetitive, two maps for four hours, matches that don't last too long, and a lack of a variety to a certain degree. In the end you're just shooting paint, and it's super fun, but it doesn't feel like there is really anything else to do. No achievements, challenges, optional things, things to achieve, etc.

It's still a great game though, don't get me wrong. It is just my opinion that it gets boring after a while.

-Alternis

Edit: The campaign is nice and different and also fun on its own, but once again, you're just shooting paint. However, the different mechanics per level and the boss fights are amazing.

Edit 2: Regarding MH4U, Would you guys prefer a powerful and useful insect glaive user on your team or a powerful and useful charge blade user on your team? I'm having difficulty choosing, seeing as I'm effective and rarely cart with both (usually due to misfortune or getting overconfident in lower ranked quests). So really, I'll leave it up to my fellow hunters. What would you guys prefer?
In general I prefer a glaive user. Most people using a charge blade have no consideration of other players and knock them all over the place.

If it's a gaf room then I don't care what people use.

That's a good question but i personally would think a glaive user would be the one since if there's no mounting points for other blademasters they can get it. And who can say no to a few seconds of downtime right?

jorgejjvr

Alright then! Thank you guys! I think I'll stick to the glaive! It's what I've been using forever now, and I'm pretty rusty with the charge blade >.< so I suppose that all around I'll be more useful to my team with a glaive! :)

Also guys, if a glaive reaches 1000 attack or more, would you guys consider that an extremely powerful weapon (I ask because as I said before, with both power charm and talon, challenger +2, and three essences, all of my glaives reach 1044 attack or higher)? I just haven't seen glaives with that much strength, and I consider that an astonishment in terms of attack. Would I be correct in thinking as such?

Also, I need your advice again. For quests with multiple monsters that have different weaknesses, should I be using poison (Hazy Caster) or Blast (Crimson Fatalis Glaive)?

-Alternis

Edit: If you don't mind me asking, which weird hitboxes specifically are you referring to?

I never really remember until I get hit by them, but yesterday it was apex Gravios lol. Tried to roll under the legs before his charge and the end of his butt hit me when it usually doesn't. Hate Gravios. Never again.

I haven't checked stats at all on my stuff, but my latest set has crimson fatalis glaive honed for attack, and my armor set gives me challenger +2, sharpness +1, attack up S, and HG earplugs. I'll probably spend time working on a newer better set sometime, maybe...although Star Knight seems like it's pretty much the endgame set for IG hah.

jorgejjvr

I never really remember until I get hit by them, but yesterday it was apex Gravios lol. Tried to roll under the legs before his charge and the end of his butt hit me when it usually doesn't. Hate Gravios. Never again.

I haven't checked stats at all on my stuff, but my latest set has crimson fatalis glaive honed for attack, and my armor set gives me challenger +2, sharpness +1, attack up S, and HG earplugs. I'll probably spend time working on a newer better set sometime, maybe...although Star Knight seems like it's pretty much the endgame set for IG hah.

Indeed, I'm sure you'll love it! Can't wait to hunt with you!

-Alternis

Edit: Would the Sneak skill be better than speed sharpening?

Tom_Cody

One is great but, more than one (or two) can feel redundant. I essentially view mounting as a status effect, like Para. If there are no Glaives, then other Blademasters tend to focus too much on mounting off of the environment. But one Glaive is just usually enough that a hunting party will get as many mounts as they are going to get.

Wolfe

Also, I need your advice again. For quests with multiple monsters that have different weaknesses, should I be using poison (Hazy Caster) or Blast (Crimson Fatalis Glaive)?

-Alternis

I prefer blast in that situation unless one or more of the monsters is super weak against poison.

As for Sneak, what situation are you envisioning using it? Speed sharpening is typically always useful.

jorgejjvr

I prefer blast in that situation unless one or more of the monsters is super weak against poison.

As for Sneak, what situation are you envisioning using it? Speed sharpening is typically always useful.

I was just wondering if the sneak effect would work for blade masters effectively, with the monster noticeably targeting you less.

-Alternis

Leezard

I was just wondering if the sneak effect would work for blade masters effectively, with the monster noticeably targeting you less.

-Alternis

The Taunt effect when playing Triplets in arena is definitely noticeable when you play with a partner without Taunt. If Sneak is near the same effect it should be noticeable.

Leezard

Game is slow for me right now. I'm doing some switch axing, but I'm mostly playing offline inbetween other activites or waiting times for other games, so I need to be able to pause whenever.

Top Bottom