• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Question:
How much do you guys value Sharpness +1 in end-game sets? I have been viewing Handicraft as essential, but I'm sort of realizing that the opportunity cost is greatly limiting my offensive skill options.

Immensely, but it depends on the weapon. The Fatalis weapons are practically garbage without it, but Dalamadur ones couldn't care less. Mind's Eye isn't super important when you look at the white/purple sharpness tiers, as long as you're able to maintain white. Steady Hand/Razor Sharp are the skills I am for if I can't get Sharpness+1.

jorgejjvr

Question:
How much do you guys value Sharpness +1 in end-game sets? I have been viewing Handicraft as essential, but I'm sort of realizing that the opportunity cost is greatly limiting my offensive skill options.

I was Bow only up through the end of High Rank (outside of some experimentation) at which point I picked up the Switch Axe. Being late to the Blademaster party, I kind of side-stepped the issue of sharpness for a number of reasons (the SA has built in Mind's Eye in sword mode and Regios/Regios makes sharpness a non-issue).

Anyway, what are your personal sharpness standards? Do you tend towards Sharpness +1, or do you prefer to mix in Mind's Eye, Razor Sharp, and/or other offensive skills?

How about we all just pick up Star Knight in July and all be happy? It's a great set with every skill you're after! 4 points in handicraft, Steady Hand (Mind's eye, razor sharp), Rodeo God, and Challenger +2 to be offensive! Plus the armor itself, excluding tailsmen, has 11 slots (three triple slots, two one slots).. I have a feeling that set will make every blademaster happy.

Now that I think about it, is the gunner version as good as the blademasters version? What does it come with?

And honestly, I would suppose that yes indeed, I value handicraft a lot, especially if it allows weapons to gain an extra purple sharpness damage multiplier or even go up to sharpness tiers in the case of some Fatalis weapons. Frankly though, I never had to worry about not having sharpness +1 because every single G rank set I made or had conveniently came with it (with the exception of Regios, but Steady hand is just as good).

-Alternis

tuffy

Now that I think about it, is the gunner version as good as the blademasters version? What does it come with?
The gunner version comes with Challenger +2, Load Up, Rodeo God, 7 points in Unscathed (weird, given it doesn't really stack with Challenger) and a similar slot arrangement. Load Up's better on bows I think and Rodeo God isn't something I'd use much at all, so it's not something I'd use as a whole set. The head, arms and legs pieces work pretty well with Brachydios/Brachydium parts when colored blue and make a pretty good Challenger +2 base on my normal shot sets.

Tom_Cody

Immensely, but it depends on the weapon. The Fatalis weapons are practically garbage without it, but Dalamadur ones couldn't care less. Mind's Eye isn't super important when you look at the white/purple sharpness tiers, as long as you're able to maintain white. Steady Hand/Razor Sharp are the skills I am for if I can't get Sharpness+1.

How about we all just pick up Star Knight in July and all be happy? It's a great set with every skill you're after! 4 points in handicraft, Steady Hand (Mind's eye, razor sharp), Rodeo God, and Challenger +2 to be offensive! Plus the armor itself, excluding tailsmen, has 11 slots (three triple slots, two one slots).. I have a feeling that set will make every blademaster happy.

And honestly, I would suppose that yes indeed, I value handicraft a lot, especially if it allows weapons to gain an extra purple sharpness damage multiplier or even go up to sharpness tiers in the case of some Fatalis weapons. Frankly though, I never had to worry about not having sharpness +1 because every single G rank set I made or had conveniently came with it (with the exception of Regios, but Steady hand is just as good).

-Alternis
Hmm. I guess I'll have to continue to think about it.

Regarding Dalamadur versus Fatalis Switch Axes, obviously some weapons are going to benefit more than others.

I guess a better question is, how much do you value purple sharpness over white? The damage increase must negligible versus other offensive skill options? And how much do you notice bouncing for purple versus white? The Switch Axe's sword mode has Mind's Eye built in so I don't think about it too much.

As for Star Knight, I want to avoid going that route if a large percentage of the player base is going to switch to that once it's released.

There are very few monsters that actually bounce white off, usually that ends up being a case of an invulnerable spot (F.Rajang Arms when fully enraged for example).

Shengar

My very best attempt to make a fullset siege mode piercing HBG:
20150617232427.png

Do you think that without Evade Extender, HBG would be too crippling slow?

tuffy

My very best attempt to make a fullset siege mode piercing HBG:
<snip>
Do you think that without Evade Extender, HBG would be too crippling slow?
Are you using the Furia Sedition? Keep in mind that to use all levels of pierce shot without recoil you only need a recoil level of "Some". So for the Destiny's Arm or Gravios Gigacannon you only need Recoil Down +1. They have 2 slots and 1 slot respectively which may also be helpful.

The only times I use HBG without some form of Evade Extender are against stuff like Dah'ren Mohran or the Dalamadurs since mobility while unsheathed isn't an issue in those cases. All my other sets have it since it's so vital not only to keep a moving monster in optimal range but also to avoid attacks. I don't leave home without it.

Shengar

Creating a functional fullset with the usual weapon selection is real hard. Maybe I should look into other weapon if I'm being persistent of having at least one fullset.

tuffy

For what it's worth, full Kujula is about the only full set I really like for pierce shot heavy bowgunning. Peak Performance, Recoil Down +1, Evade Extender and Constitution +1 outright. Then bring in Pierce Up with a decent charm and its two, 3 slot pieces. I think it looks okay too. But it's a real hassle to put together because Rusty Kushala can be a huge pain.

tm24

Question:

Anyway, what are your personal sharpness standards? Do you tend towards Sharpness +1, or do you prefer to mix in Mind's Eye, Razor Sharp, and/or other offensive skills?

As a GS user, i value S+1 immensely. The purple multiplier is just way to valuable to ever give up. Razor sharp is a cool thing to have, but i would drop it in favor of Focus/CritDraw anyday
Just did the Caravan Furious Rajang urgent. Eehhh that wasn't so bad, you guys scared me for no reason.

Used the Chameleos GS
GS users love Rajang because oh my god the dmg
God I'm fucking excited for whatever Horizon is going to be.
Robot Witcher x MH! I'm down!

As a GS user, i value S+1 immensely. The purple multiplier is just way to valuable to ever give up. Razor sharp is a cool thing to have, but i would drop it in favor of Focus/CritDraw anyday

GS users love Rajang because oh my god the dmg

Robot Witcher x MH! I'm down!

Hail GS!

On a note about GS, I think Razor Sharp is rather pointless given how little you actually strike.

Anyone doing high level guild quests? I need divine spheres and some neat relic weapons.

Wolfe

Make the black belt helm then?

I don't get the whole dislike towards Skull, if you color match it to the main color of your set, it looks fine! Plus I can totally pull off a Red Skull look with my Kaiser sets.

I would prefer to have BBH due to the higher def and the fact I enjoy but don't have many open face helms (still lacking coins unfortunately) but I don't mind Skull, as you said it's easy to color match.

Also just in case anyone missed it a few pages back:

Edit: Ok one relic GQ I'm still looking for is a CB bias Brachy or Brute Tigrex (for the elite blade skin). If anyone has one of these and is willing to send it my way I'd greatly appreciate it :)

Tom_Cody

I just looked it up and the upgrade from White to Purple is a 9% upgrade. More than I would have thought.

I have no idea how this compares to other offensive skills.

jorgejjvr

I just looked it up and the upgrade from White to Purple is a 9% upgrade. More than I would have thought.

I have no idea how this compares to other offensive skills.
It's just better to have purple than white sharpness. It's that simple, both Attack and elemental damage are buffed. All you really need Is a strong weapon and/or any offensive skill you want and you're good.

-Alternis

Wolfe

I've got a room up if anyone wants to do a few hunts before I have to take off for work later.

66-9758-2249-9449

Shengar

It's just better to have purple than white sharpness. It's that simple, both Attack and elemental damage are buffed. All you really need Is a strong weapon and/or any offensive skill you want and you're good.

-Alternis
Well his question is does Sharpness+1 really that worthed it if you must sacrifice some other skills down the line. Rath Soul Z for the example of my case, ucan easily gem in Sharpness+1 with my Handicraft+7 charm since the set have OOO gem slot, but doing so will cost me Razor Sharp and Elemental Attack Up down the line. So in that case does Sharpness really worthes? There will be severe instance since not all people is lucky enough to have handicraft+7 charm.
I've got a room up if anyone wants to do a few hunts before I have to take off for work later.

66-9758-2249-9449
Full. I'll probably open for another one later.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
How hard is to obtain Elder Dragon Blood? I have killed Fatalis five times now and no sign if it. Too bad is a long fight with my current gear. :(

Shengar

Got an open spot in the room above.

Above was full so made another room if anyone is interested in hunts.

37-3877-9280-4143
I knew it that I shouldn't continue my sleep >.<
How hard is to obtain Elder Dragon Blood? I have killed Fatalis five times now and no sign if it. Too bad is a long fight with my current gear. :(
Kushala Daora is rather good source for elder dragon blood. Or you can take LR Dahren which probably much easier.

Tom_Cody

-Alternis

Well his question is does Sharpness+1 really that worthed it if you must sacrifice some other skills down the line. Rath Soul Z for the example of my case, ucan easily gem in Sharpness+1 with my Handicraft+7 charm since the set have OOO gem slot, but doing so will cost me Razor Sharp and Elemental Attack Up down the line. So in that case does Sharpness really worthes? There will be severe instance since not all people is lucky enough to have handicraft+7 charm.
Right. Greater sharpness is obviously better, the question is about the relative effectiveness of upgrading from white to purple versus other offensive skills. Everything is a trade-off.

I was like fuck it and made the Dalamadur IG and the Daora IG! MIght as well since im rocking this SK set!
You can't go wrong with the Dala IG, believe me. I honed mine for atk and never looked back.

And a weird question, but do you guys feel like most full sets are only useable with awesome charms?

Wolfe

I was like fuck it and made the Dalamadur IG and the Daora IG! MIght as well since im rocking this SK set!

Dude I've made weapons just because I thought they looked cool yet still haven't used lol. I keep thinking "you never know!", I just wish there was 1 or 2 other 3 socket CB, without better talisman my mixed sets keep ending up locked into using Crimson Fatalis CB due to the sockets as my only other 3 socket option is lower raw and needs awakening.

Can't deny that set gives a badass skill set while having a ton of sockets. I imagine once I have it I'll at least use it a couple times unlike some of those weaps :p

Opened up another GQ/turns room if anyones still around:

Edit: Guess it dropped me.

And a weird question, but do you guys feel like most full sets are only useable with awesome charms?

I don't take it that far but I definitely think every mix set I end up trying out is seriously hampered by me not having a really good charm. I feel shoehorned into only 3 sockets weapons and less skill than I would have liked with the pieces I wanted to use. Not a huge deal but at the same time having that exact charm you'd like feels like it would help that much more in allowing you to squeeze everything you want into that armor.

Also I love when I just end up with 2 or 3 sockets that sit empty, but if my charm had 3 instead of the 1 it has... if only lol.

tm24

Dude I've made weapons just because I thought they looked cool yet still haven't used lol. I keep thinking "you never know!",

Yeah im in that mode now. I have a a few HHs lying around, some LBGs and now these IGs that i was like, i could use them. And then i started using the IGs and shit is crazy. Like i have no idea what im doing with the attacks i just mash buttons and I twirl shit around and things break and die and explode!

Blast is so fun. Makes me wish i played 3 and tried out the OP slime. Eat for Pyro and watch shit blow up

Wolfe

Couldn't find the room Wolfe.

It dropped and I got distracted elsewhere on gaf.

New room:
59-4467-4488-5464

Yeah im in that mode now. I have a a few HHs lying around, some LBGs and now these IGs that i was like, i could use them. And then i started using the IGs and shit is crazy. Like i have no idea what im doing with the attacks i just mash buttons and I twirl shit around and things break and die and explode!

Blast is so fun. Makes me wish i played 3 and tried out the OP slime. Eat for Pyro and watch shit blow up

Haha sounds fun. Yeah in 3 my go to set was Helios (back when it had awakening) and Giggaton hammer or whatever it was called. Blasting everythings faces off.

Wolfe

I swear when it's warm out (like earlier today) it seems to work great, then night and cool weather comes and it's disconnection city.

But yeah, don't think I can pull off hosting atm lol. Although with my luck just staying connected to someone else isn't possible atm either.

Top Bottom