• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

tuffy

And a weird question, but do you guys feel like most full sets are only useable with awesome charms?
There are a few exceptions. For instance, full Ace/Sororal is pretty much built for light bowgunning since it has Fleet Feet and Bonus Shot outright and a bunch of slots. But it does seem like many of the sets at the end of G rank aren't optimal as-is. Like a full set of Grand Mutsu/Amagi has 15 points of Recoil, 10 points of Pierce Up but only 8 points in Brutality. So unless a charm with points in Brutality turns up, you're not going to get Ruthlessness unless you mix the set with something else (usually the Kaiser guards).

I guess it's a way to encourage people to look for crazy high level Guild Quest charms or to start mixing their armor sets.

Rawk Hawk

I knew it that I shouldn't continue my sleep >.<

You did miss watching me cart a lot in the room I set up. High GQ's are no joke man, but humbling to play them and remind me there is still a long road ahead.

Thanks a ton to the ones that came and helped with my GQ, it's up to 117 now. But I ran into a question. Beshackled Weapons were dropping from some of those hunts we did, one I think was only lv131. I was under the impression it needed to be 136? Maybe that's just for mining?

Either way, them dropping earlier is certainly fine by me.

There are a few exceptions. For instance, full Ace/Sororal is pretty much built for light bowgunning since it has Fleet Feet and Bonus Shot outright and a bunch of slots. But it does seem like many of the sets at the end of G rank aren't optimal as-is. Like a full set of Grand Mutsu/Amagi has 15 points of Recoil, 10 points of Pierce Up but only 8 points in Brutality. So unless a charm with points in Brutality turns up, you're not going to get Ruthlessness unless you mix the set with something else (usually the Kaiser guards).

I guess it's a way to encourage people to look for crazy high level Guild Quest charms or to start mixing their armor sets.

Speaking of Mutsu with Kaiser guards, I made that armor and still haven't fought Crimson Fatalis for the HBG to use with it. Completely forgot about it.

Greddleok

Are there any decent, easy to read, resources I can use to figure out what armour I should be shooting for depending on my caravan/weapon?

tuffy

You did miss watching me cart a lot in the room I set up. High GQ's are no joke man, but humbling to play them and remind me there is still a long road ahead.
Eating for defense, wearing a blademaster helm and fully upgrading my set with all the Divine Armor Spheres it can take still isn't enough to keep me from getting one-shotted by some attacks in high level GQs. This is the same set that survived a point-blank Gog tar explosion with health to spare.

The margin for error in those GQs is small, the monsters move very fast and have very cheap moves, and I'm going to need to get a lot better.
Speaking of Mutsu with Kaiser guards, I made that armor and still haven't fought Crimson Fatalis for the HBG to use with it. Completely forgot about it.
He has so many carves that I think it only took me a couple of fights for all the Fatalis parts. I spent more time trying to track down the Conquest Sphere from Akantor to finish it up.

Rawk Hawk

Eating for defense, wearing a blademaster helm and fully upgrading my set with all the Divine Armor Spheres it can take still isn't enough to keep me from getting one-shotted by some attacks in high level GQs. This is the same set that survived a point-blank Gog tar explosion with health to spare.

The margin for error in those GQs is small, the monsters move very fast and have very cheap moves, and I'm going to need to get a lot better.

Yea, I haven't really dealt with a lot of high GQs yet, so it was a bit of a shock. HH specifically I had a hard time with, any song you play could be your last.

He has so many carves that I think it only took me a couple of fights for all the Fatalis parts. I spent more time trying to track down the Conquest Sphere from Akantor to finish it up.

Nice, I have 1-2 spheres already, so I'm almost ready to start dying with a different weapon in my hands! yay!

Tom_Cody

Now that I'm into late-G3, I finally faced off against my first real Apex monster (not counting the caravan Seregios tutorial) a couple nights ago.

The hunt went surprisingly well. Going in I didn't even know that it was going to be Apex, but I already had the Wyceum unlocked so all was well. We suppressed it fairly easily each time, so our Wystones were ready, or mostly ready, by the time we needed to use them again.

Question:
Are the Chaos Magala weapons actually worth using? As I understand it, they have an affinity gimmick that is specifically beneficial against frenzied/apex monsters. I just did a quick calculation and, while the boost looks nice post-suppression, it still looks like it's not really worth it. Any thoughts?
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe/frevelsursis

Edit: Never mind, I had misunderstood how the mechanic works.

jorgejjvr

Now that I'm into late-G3, I finally faced off against my first real Apex monster (not counting the caravan Seregios tutorial) a couple nights ago.

The hunt went surprisingly well. Going in I didn't even know that it was going to be Apex, but I already had the Wyceum unlocked so all was well. We suppressed it fairly easily each time, so our Wystones were ready, or mostly ready, by the time we needed to use them again.

Question:
Are the Chaos Magala weapons actually worth using? As I understand it, they have an affinity gimmick that is specifically beneficial against frenzied/apex monsters. I just did a quick calculation and, while the boost looks nice post-suppression, it still looks like it's not really worth it. Any thoughts?
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe/frevelsursis

Edit: Never mind, I had misunderstood how the mechanic works.

What did you think the mechanic was?

-Alternis

tuffy

Let's see, it's a Lao-Shan mantle (trade a Uka stone + seal G), Tigrex mantle, Seregios lens, and Rathalos mantle + 10 more seal G's. Yeah I can see why now.
Amusingly, three of those can be gotten by trading VE Cosmic Tickets. The Uka Stone is the only one that actually needs to be farmed - technically.

tuffy, what was that mixed gunner set you were talking about earlier that uses some of the Brachydium parts? Did it use the legs from that set, because I don't have a B.Gravios Pallium.

Wolfe

I need to do those and actually make the BBH.

Same here, still need at least 4 coins.

Certainly, also I know I have a HR Brute Tigrex and G rank Brachy, although not sure their weapons. When I get home from work I'll check, I noticed you were looking for some.

That was me :D

Levelling a Brachy/Seregios (SA/CB/IG) guild quest if anyone wants to play.

41-6183-3566-9229

Oh man of course I miss this, CB bias brachy (or brute tigrex) is the last GQ I'm looking for atm.

tuffy

tuffy, what was that mixed gunner set you were talking about earlier that uses some of the Brachydium parts? Did it use the legs from that set, because I don't have a B.Gravios Pallium.
It doesn't; only the Brachydium chest piece because it has 2 points in Spirit and 3 slots. My sets would use the Brachydios X waist and legs pieces because they have 2 points of Evade Dist apiece, a couple of slots apiece, and 7 points of Spirit between them. Those three pieces would be a good base for sets with Evade Extender and Challenger +2. And it turns out they don't need any rare parts at all.
lol and Uka drops the seal G doesn't he?
I think so, actually! Silver Cataclysm guarantees 1 as I recall.

Rawk Hawk

That was me :D

Oh, that's right! I checked last night and forgot all about it. My tigrex is actually normal tigrex, not brute. My Brachy is Bow/Bowgun, sorry man.

Let's see, it's a Lao-Shan mantle (trade a Uka stone + seal G), Tigrex mantle, Seregios lens, and Rathalos mantle + 10 more seal G's. Yeah I can see why now.

Yea I think I have all the stuff laying around actually, just am something like 0 and 6 on the fight to unlock it. That Ukanlos is no joke, although haven't tried much lately.

Wolfe

I wonder why more people don't use the Lao Shan armor? It has 10 slots, edge lore, partbreaker, and divine blessing.

I made the armor a while back but don't use it as often since I'm not huge into the design. Which of course I think the red relic version looks rad lol. Can't deny it has a great skill set though.

Oh, that's right! I checked last night and forgot all about it. My tigrex is actually normal tigrex, not brute. My Brachy is Bow/Bowgun, sorry man.

No worries dude, more than anything I just appreciate you checking for me.

Now if I could just catch Dooplis on again I'll be set.

Tom_Cody

What did you think the mechanic was?

-Alternis
I had thought the boost came in when you suppress the monster's frenzy, and instead it comes in when you overcome the frenzy. That said, I don't know why I retracted my question, lol.

I'm still wondering if it is worth using Chaos Magala weapons against Apex monsters, or if I should instead just use whatever weapons I would have used against their normal forms.

jorgejjvr

I had thought the boost came in when you suppress the monster's frenzy, and instead it comes in when you overcome the frenzy. That said, I don't know why I retracted my question, lol.

I'm still wondering if it is worth using Chaos Magala weapons against Apex monsters, or if I should instead just use whatever weapons I would have used against their normal forms.

Personally, I just use whatever weapon I would normally use against them. Especially since those weapons always have dragon element, and I'm more of an elemental guy than a raw damage guy. So if you're an elemental guy, use their weaknesses (unless maybe if it is like an Apex Deviljho since he's weak to dragon), but if you care about raw damage then yeah, Chaos weapons are pretty viable. They're the most viable against Magalas, though.

-Alternis

Tom_Cody

Personally, I just use whatever weapon I would normally use against them. Especially since those weapons always have dragon element, and I'm more of an elemental guy than a raw damage guy. So if you're an elemental guy, use their weaknesses (unless maybe if it is like an Apex Deviljho since he's weak to dragon), but if you care about raw damage then yeah, Chaos weapons are pretty viable. They're the most viable against Magalas, though.

-Alternis
And there are better elemental match ups anyway. Oh well, thanks for the answer.

File this under me continuing to overthink my Switch Axe load-outs...

The Chaos weapons are pretty awesome just because of the raw they do. I use the dual blades since it's pretty easy to overcome frenzy with it, but I almost never use it on Apex monsters since their cloud generation/ability to damage without wystones is so much harder.

Tom_Cody

The Chaos weapons are pretty awesome just because of the raw they do. I use the dual blades since it's pretty easy to overcome frenzy with it, but I almost never use it on Apex monsters since their cloud generation/ability to damage without wystones is so much harder.
Eh, I'll probably just craft the Axe anyway. It does look cool.

upandaway

Sigh. Caravan Furious Rajang with lance...

Remind me to never do that again. Half the time I was just chasing him sheathed. Honed for attack and it took me 6 minutes slower than with GS, with 2 carts and using traps. When I killed him the only health I had left was an Ancient Potion.

Shengar

Sigh. Caravan Furious Rajang with lance...

Remind me to never do that again. Half the time I was just chasing him sheathed. Honed for attack and it took me 6 minutes slower than with GS, with 2 carts and using traps. When I killed him the only health I had left was an Ancient Potion.

I was using full Empress X set with True Ruiner Lance. It tooks 18 minutes, but at least most of my potion still intact.

upandaway

I was using full Empress X set with True Ruiner Lance. It tooks 18 minutes, but at least most of my potion still intact.
I had Evasion +3 on and some of my dodges just couldn't come out fast enough. Was definitely a mistake trying to evade lance the guy. I ended up switching to guards about halfway in so I can finish the dang quest. Was 21 minutes I think, I was using the S. Zinogre lance because it's my only usable one right now.

Anyway I unlocked The Master's Test. Not gonna attempt that without divine stones, no sir.

Shengar

I had Evasion +3 on and some of my dodges just couldn't come out fast enough. Was definitely a mistake trying to evade lance the guy. I ended up switching to guards about halfway in so I can finish the dang quest. Was 21 minutes I think, I was using the S. Zinogre lance because it's my only usable one right now.

Anyway I unlocked The Master's Test. Not gonna attempt that without divine stones, no sir.

Evade Lancing Rajang is a bad idea due to how fast it is, small, and succession of combo makes it pretty hard to evade.

And you just can't fight Apex monsters, especially Diablos, with Lance. It's an express ticket to frustration town.

upandaway

Oh yeah Master's Test is gonna be done with GS for sure. draw&run is such an easy yet effective strategy that I never planned on doing it any other way.

I may need a guard lancing set but eh, I can just pick a GS whenever rajang comes up

tm24

I did Rajang with IG, it was so annoying. Everything is so much easier with GS. The only monster i have trouble with a GS are the damn najaralas

jorgejjvr

I did Rajang with IG, it was so annoying. Everything is so much easier with GS. The only monster i have trouble with a GS are the damn najaralas

WHAT!?!?!? Rajang is super easy with the IG, he can barely stand up whenever I use it against him xD

-Alternis

Shengar

I don't know but from my experience playing with randoms, I thought GS against Jho is rather terrible. Once, I have noticed that the kill time become significantly slower when a Dalamadur DB user replaced by a Cera Cymmetry GS User.

Is there a way to set Relic weapons in armor simulators? I've got a really good longsword with a +5 Edgemaster gem and I'm trying to figure out something neat for it.

Derp, missed the relic button on Athena's.

PrankT

Open to do anything. 22-4842-5647-8053, pass 1111. I need to do a ton of HR 3 - 7 for completionist reasons if anyone wants to do that. Or whatever quests you need.

tm24

MH taught me a new word. Stygian! I've used it twice since fighting him for the first time!

Also, bring nulberries!

Top Bottom