• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I'm at G3 and just killed Chameleos with some randoms, it actually went really well. By that I mean I never died, even though two others did. So I take a look at his armor and the bonuses look awesome, especially since I can get sharpness +1. That said, I barely see anyone farming it. I figured everyone and their grandma would want it, what gives?

jorgejjvr

So I'm at G3 and just killed Chameleos with some randoms, it actually went really well. By that I mean I never died, even though two others did. So I take a look at his armor and the bonuses look awesome, especially since I can get sharpness +1. That said, I barely see anyone farming it. I figured everyone and their grandma would want it, what gives?

Although it does give you Earplugs or HG Earplugs (I forget since if it's regular earplugs it's easy to get HG) and Windproof (Hi), the rest of the skills are mostly focused around abnormal status effects. So unless you're going to be using poison, paralysis, or sleep, you're missing out on the full potential by ignoring like half of the skills. That said, it's good against Kushalas since they roar often, use wind, and are weak to poison.

You should look into some other potential armor sets as well, like the Star Knight set from the USJ A Colorful Feast quest. It's arguably the best, if not one of the best armor sets out there. In G3/G Crown, I didn't notice too many good full sets besides maybe Furious Rajang or Elder Dragon sets, although I remember the Ukanlos set was quite good too. Molten Tigrex is also super nice, as well as Shah Dalamadur and rusted Kushala.

In general, they're like rock, paper, and scissors. Chameleos armor is good for Kushala, Kushala armor is good for Teostra, and Teostra armor is good for Chameleos.

-Alternis

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Although it does give you Earplugs or HG Earplugs (I forget since if it's regular earplugs it's easy to get HG) and Windproof (Hi), the rest of the skills are mostly focused around abnormal status effects. So unless you're going to be using poison, paralysis, or sleep, you're missing out on the full potential by ignoring like half of the skills. That said, it's good against Kushalas since they roar often, use wind, and are weak to poison.
Doesn't slime/blast count as a status effect along with poison/para/sleep?

co1onel

blast is boosted by the bombardier skill. Status does nothing for it

Everyone and their grandma already has the set, and I see it used by far too many people who aren't even using status weapons.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought bombardier only increased the damage from the explosions triggered by blast weapons. Not the blast value of a weapon. Good to know, I won't make a fool of myself using those with the Chameleos set.

Kater

Banned

Really?

"Bombardier: Increases bomb damage, and raises the Combination success rate for all bombs to 100%."

No mention of Blast. Or is Blast something that the game simply counts as Bomb damage? That'd be weird since they even separated the food skill Felyne Bombardier and Felyne Pyro.

jorgejjvr

Well, technically it is, however, the skill Status +2 doesn't increase the proficiency of blast attacks or do anything at all really (for blast).

You'll need the skill bombardier to increase blast proficiency, make it occur more, and do more damage with it.

@Kater, yeah, the game counts blast weapons as dealing bomb damage, and therefore increase the number next to the blast icon as well as making the actual blast stronger when using the armor skill bombardier. However, the cool thing about it is that it stacks with Felyne Pyro, which has the same effect (Meat + Drink).

-Alternis

Edit: Do you guys ever find yourself getting knocked over often? Perhaps by a long sword, or you're a hammer user who gets tripped up or just get tripped up in general? Well, if you eat Grain + Drink at the Canteen, one of the fixed skills is called Felyne Balancer, which prevents you from getting knocked down/tripped by fellow hunters as well as small monsters.

Felyne Dungmaster is also really useful in level 140 GQ, especially against Rajang, as it guarantees that dung bombs will make a monster flee, even Rajang.

Teostra 140 is not ready.

rBKF5Ok.jpg
Yx6FhQt.jpg

jorgejjvr

Oh man, I spent so much time grinding for my current armour and skills and I'll only end up using it for one rank! Oh well, I'm sure G2 would have been hell in High rank armour.

Star Knight is arguably one of the best armor sets out there, rivaling even really good mixed sets. It's best with IG due to Rodeo God but you can literally adjust the set to meet any dream imaginable, you can practically gem in any skill(s) you want.

-Alternis

Alright guys, I'm back in. How do I increase my HR? I am on the level 5 star village quests... only done a couple online. Is rathalos armor any good for a long sword user?

jorgejjvr

Alright guys, I'm back in. How do I increase my HR? I am on the level 5 star village quests... only done a couple online. Is rathalos armor any good for a long sword user?

To reach high rank in the offline village quests, you must defeat the Shagaru Magala and then move to the town known as Dundorma (I think it is called) and speak to everybody there.

-Alternis

co1onel

You'll need the skill bombardier to increase blast proficiency, make it occur more, and do more damage with it.

@Kater, yeah, the game counts blast weapons as dealing bomb damage, and therefore increase the number next to the blast icon as well as making the actual blast stronger when using the armor skill bombardier. However, the cool thing about it is that it stacks with Felyne Pyro, which has the same effect (Meat + Drink).

Bombardier doesn't increase the damage of the blasts, it only makes it occur more often. Nothing can increase the damage of blast, its a set value for each monster.
StatusCrit does work though
Although it's important to note that status crit has no effect if your weapon has no affinity.

Wolfe

Bombardier doesn't increase the damage of the blasts, it only makes it occur more often. Nothing can increase the damage of blast, its a set value for each monster.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's how all status effects work right? The larger the number (of the status effect) the more often or quicker it fills up the hidden gauge or whatever and once it's full they either fall asleep/get paralized/get poisoned/the blast effect occurs.

At least that's how I gathered it worked and hence why the numbers go up on the status screen when you have bombardier even if the blast effect itself is a set value dependant on the monster.

So... What's the chance of getting two rathalos mantles and six rubies on one Silver Rath hunt? One mantle was from tail carve, everything else was quest reward.

jorgejjvr

So... What's the chance of getting two rathalos mantles and six rubies on one Silver Rath hunt? One mantle was from tail carve, everything else was quest reward.

Assuming you broke the back, wings, and head, the chances of that happening in one hunt is so extremely minimal that it is practically zero. In fact, even after 15 hunts, the chances of you getting 2 mantles and six rubies is still barely higher than 0% (Source: Desiresensor.com)

-Alternis

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I got two rubies and a mantle from a normal G-rank Rath the other night, so maybe it's a thing this week where he's dropping all the good stuff?

jorgejjvr

Only Deviljho, Savage Deviljho, and Stygian Zinogre deal dragon damage/cause dragon blight, right? This crossed my mind as for some reason, the only monsters that dealt dragon damage in Tri was Jho and Alatreon, and in 3U Stygian joined in. So I was thinking about this game, and does anything else besides Jho and Stygian deal dragon damage?

-Alternis

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Only Deviljho, Savage Deviljho, and Stygian Zinogre deal dragon damage/cause dragon blight, right? This crossed my mind as for some reason, the only monsters that dealt dragon damage in Tri was Jho and Alatreon, and in 3U Stygian joined in. So I was thinking about this game, and does anything else besides Jho and Stygian deal dragon damage?

-Alternis

I don't think so. I thought it was odd too, but then again almost everything has a weakness to dragon so if too many monsters dealt dragon damage it would be too hard.

jorgejjvr

I don't think so. I thought it was odd too, but then again almost everything has a weakness to dragon so if too many monsters dealt dragon damage it would be too hard.

Oh! I just remembered Akantor's wind tunnel causes dragon. Other than that, I'm still pretty stuck. The Wiki states that the Fatalis Trio and Chameleos, Teostra, and Kushala all use dragon but perhaps those were in the early games?

-Alternis

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh! I just rembered Akantor's wind tunnel causes dragon. Other than that, I'm still pretty stuck. The Wiki states that the Fatalis Trio and Chameleos, Teostra, and Kushala all use dragon but perhaps those were in the early games?

-Alternis

I never got hit by Akanator's tunnel so I wouldn't know :(

Chameleos is poison, I know that for sure. Kushala isn't dragon either I think. Isn't Teostra fire?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Myself and my friend who is the same HR as me (3) did some 2-man multiplayer to hunt some Rathalos without the help of our higher level friends to carry us. That was a lot of fun and a really challenging fight for 2 noobs and a pair of crappy cats. Even with fire resist decoration on my Gore armor to get rid of the negative resist skill he still hurt me so bad (died once on the first quest clear) that I had to switch back to my tetsucabra armor to farm him, so I learned a valuable lesson about keeping a lot of sets and weapons around for elemental properties.

We were able to get a lot of breaks on his head, back and tail. My friend got about 4 or 5 plates off of him. I only got one, but that was enough to make the switch axe from him, which is the next weapon I'm gonna try playing around with.

Is there any good reason why there isn't an equipment change box in the gathering hall? It's kind of a pain in the ass to have to go back out into the village to change gear.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Myself and my friend who is the same HR as me (3) did some 2-man multiplayer to hunt some Rathalos without the help of our higher level friends to carry us. That was a lot of fun and a really challenging fight for 2 noobs and a pair of crappy cats. Even with fire resist decoration on my Gore armor to get rid of the negative resist skill he still hurt me so bad (died once on the first quest clear) that I had to switch back to my tetsucabra armor to farm him, so I learned a valuable lesson about keeping a lot of sets and weapons around for elemental properties.

We were able to get a lot of breaks on his head, back and tail. My friend got about 4 or 5 plates off of him. I only got one, but that was enough to make the switch axe from him, which is the next weapon I'm gonna try playing around with.

Is there any good reason why there isn't an equipment change box in the gathering hall? It's kind of a pain in the ass to have to go back out into the village to change gear.

If you hit the map icon on the touch screen and a town it gives you the choice to go straight to your room. It's not perfect, but it's better than running.

jorgejjvr

Great for you! I always find it best to play with people your rank, which is why I always reccomened to ask higher level players to scale down. The challenge and hunts that are neither too long or short are what makes everything so great, I don't like everything dying quickly >.<

You guys aren't really noobs anymore, though. You guys are great enough to hold your own most of the time. Sure, you may faint, and that's a bummer, but not giving up defines a true Hunter. There have been moments when even I shamefully cause all three faints and look like an idiot due to trying things I shouldn't be trying and sticking out of my comfort zone (that's perfectly fine, as it is okay to experiment to see what you like, but in my case, it seems whenever I try to pull away from the Insect Glaive, it always calls me back due to just me performing a lot worse). You guys definitely aren't noobs, and duoing a rathalos at your level and relatively early is not an easy feat.

Okay! Great! I'm glad you got rid of the negative fire resistance skill, that's perfect! However, chances are the fire resistance is still negative, right? Usually I don't have a multitude of sets for each element (that's a perfectly viable option, it's just too time consuming for me), so I just stick to the foolproof way of always getting positive resistance (providing there are no negative skills). If you eat bread and vegetables, you'll see four ways to cook the meal. Each way, on the top, has a fixed skill. Those skills are meant to turn any negative resistance into positive 3 resistance. There is fire starter for fire res, thunder caller for thunder res, and so on. If you'd still like to use Gore against flaming monsters, your best bet is to eat bread and vegetables, make sure both ingredients are fresh, and I believe the first option should be the one that has the fixed skill Felyne Firestarter on it (you can see all the kitchen info on the touchscreen as you're choosing what to eat). Once you eat for Firestarter, your Gore set will have positive 3 resistance for fire.
I hope that tutorial was simple enough >.< I know most hunters prefer to simply eat at the kitchen to remove any one single negative resistance one may have, since it's a quick and easy fix as opposed to having multiple armor sets. However, keep in mind that eating for bread and vegetables (or alcohol and vegetables for dragon res) can only make one single negative resistance become positive (so, if you're facing something that uses fire and something that uses dragon at the same time, and you're weak to both elements, you can only make one of those positive in the kitchen).

I believe to eat for dragon resistance you need to eat alcohol and vegetables if I'm not mistaken.

Switch axe is an extremely swift and strong weapon. Frankly, at times it may feel like you aren't doing much damage, but I find that the reason for that is that pretty much any attack with the switch axe is really strong, which is why you may not feel the "UMPH!" you may feel with other weapons (the reason you can kind of tell when an attack is doing big damage is when the attack itself feels like it's hitting just a little bit slower due to you hitting a super weak spot of the monster, therefore attacks hit slower as to not abuse the weakness). It may just be a psychological thing with me, but in most cases (some exceptions), I don't really find that the switch axes slow down too much, perhaps because they do so much damage that maybe the weak spots are done differently on them (keep in mind this is speculation)?

Although, yeah, seriously, you may feel you're doing no damage but they're actually quite strong.

Some people think the switch axe attacks slowly but when compared to other weapons it attacks really frequently AND consistently, there's a nice rhymic pace to attacks.

Something you'll notice right from the get go is that the switch axe is probably the weapon that relies the heaviest on evading towards a monster to continue a combo. Because of this, many consider Evade Extender (a skill that causes the distance of rolls to be greatly increased) a pretty much must-have skill for the switch axe, with Evasion +1, Evasion +2, or Evasion +3 not too far behind (all of these make it so that you can avoid monster attacks by rolling, each number means the effect is enhanced, with evasion +3, it's so powerful you can roll through pretty much anything, including roars and almost all attacks if you time it right, which is perfect for evade dependent weapons like the switch axe).

And finally, again, watch Gainin Hunter's tutorial on the switch axe.

I think that the equipment box is only at home to prevent harassment or anything like that. I don't know, Capcom is weird. Or maybe the system can't handle four people constantly changing gear at once. Anyways, you know you can use the world map to click a city (say, Val Habar) and then click "Your House" to instantly teleport to your house right? Just like how then you can click the gathering hall and instantly teleport there. I'm just mentioning that in case you're running back and forth like how I did for a while. At least teleporting makes it somewhat easier and more manageable. You can't teleport when signed up for a quest though.

To conclude, do you plan on hosting GAF lobbies in the future? I'm sure we'd love to help you. I don't know, at least I, in particular, just want to hunt with you online in order to see your reactions and answers your questions and such (I don't know why I get so excited about such stuff, it's just my thing). So please, if you ever want to hunt in the near future, let us know. Fair warning though, we're extremely powerful so unless want monsters to die in seconds, you can ask us to use appropriate gear so the monsters would last as long as with any other hunters (except we just know what we're doing, thankfully removing some of the unpredictablity that comes from randoms).

-Alternis

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
GH's switch axe vid sold me on the weapon. I like that there are combos in both the axe and sword mode that have you just standing in place savagely spamming attacks. That's kinda what I do now on the glaive, only some times I feel like I spend so much time in fights trying to get the right juice on me that I've looked into other weapons BUT only until I have the resources available to fully upgrade an ultimate kinsect. It'll happen some day. I've already kept my eyes on the Wycoon for all the nectar I need, but there's definitely some advanced stuff on the GaijinHunter shopping list that I don't have access to yet.

The only reason why I've been sticking to these particular guys (and gal) for multiplayer is just cause they're all Dota buddies that I've known for years so we're always just hanging out in mumble and on steam together and have access to chat methods outside the... poor... 3DS keyboard. Next time I'm playing without a full group I'll come post the lobby info on here so you can jump in with us if you're around. There hasn't been any structure to our hunts. We kinda just go for whatever sounds fun, or if someone needs parts off something we'll go farm it a few times until someone wants to get a Dota game going.

jorgejjvr

GH's switch axe vid sold me on the weapon. I like that there are combos in both the axe and sword mode that have you just standing in place savagely spamming attacks. That's kinda what I do now on the glaive, only some times I feel like I spend so much time in fights trying to get the right juice on me that I've looked into other weapons BUT only until I have the resources available to fully upgrade an ultimate kinsect. It'll happen some day. I've already kept my eyes on the Wycoon for all the nectar I need, but there's definitely some advanced stuff on the GaijinHunter shopping list that I don't have access to yet.

The only reason why I've been sticking to these particular guys (and gal) for multiplayer is just cause they're all Dota buddies that I've known for years so we're always just hanging out in mumble and on steam together and have access to chat methods outside the... poor... 3DS keyboard. Next time I'm playing without a full group I'll come post the lobby info on here so you can jump in with us if you're around. There hasn't been any structure to our hunts. We kinda just go for whatever sounds fun, or if someone needs parts off something we'll go farm it a few times until someone wants to get a Dota game going.

Honestly, I completely understand about the ultimate kinsect. I used the charge blade (switch axe's brother) pretty much the whole game until I had the realization that I loved the insect glaive in the demo and realized that I had the materials to make ultimate kinsects (there was some farming involved, but in the end I made at least 7 ultimate kinsects).

The switch axe is a great weapon, whenever a monster stays in place I either do the attack where you repeatedly hack the axe left and right, or I just keep spamming X with my sword mode for awhile and then use the sword mode's explosion attack.

Yeah, no worries! I completely respect and understand that! Obviously it's better to play with people you are closer to and that's cool, I'm just saying that if you're ever alone/there are empty spaces in a room and you feel like your friends can't or won't join for whatever reason, we can fill the empty slots.

-Alternis

Can't stop playing this game. Trying to get gold Rayburn armor but it's tough getting the ruby or plate. I think I need fight g. Rath at least 5 more times for the regular parts as well for the complete set.

Top Bottom