• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Welp, finally done for the night. That was lots of fun. I'm definitely enjoying the variety of G rank, not to mention the fact that I'm actually getting to end game. Highlights:

Chameleos sleep bombing is awesome. Look forward to getting that armor and my sleepy CB.

Got my G2 permit. Tiger Zamtrios and Tidal Najarala were pretty lethal, but the latter went down relatively smoothly. G rank Seregios is still a total cake walk. Thanks a bunch to wolfe to working with me on those. The double impact CBs was doing lots of work on some of those quests.

G rank Teostra fight went pretty well, and I didn't feel like I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

And Rajang is still horrifying.

Kater

Banned
Rajang is always terrifying, but especially in G-Rank and high level GQ.

One slight error and you got almost no health left, that plus he has so many hard-hitting follow-up attacks. :s

pronk420

kind of a stupid question probably, but when a monster is weak to an element, how important is this compared to raw weapon damage?

i have a coiled nail+ that i would guess is more powerful than my schattenthing (gore great sword), but the gore weapon has dragon. if a monster is weak to dragon is the coiled nail+ still better? i think its rare 4 and the next highest i have is rare 3, does that automatically make it better?

i've looked at the tables on the wiki, but i'm not sure what the numbers for weaknesses mean.

i'm on the level 5 solo quests if that makes any difference. i'm about to do yian garuaga and wondering if its worth even trying to get a water element weapon given that i probably won't be able to get a rare 4 one (I only have coiled nail+ from getting stuff early from online hunts with higher ranked hunters).

Nohar

kind of a stupid question probably, but when a monster is weak to an element, how important is this compared to raw weapon damage?

Rule of thumb: for slow weapons such as Great Swords, you want to prioritize Raw over Element (Elements here are a bonus). For fast weapons such as Dual blades, it's Element over Raw (doesn't mean than Raw isn't important, just that most of your damages will come from attacking a monster with an element he is weak to). Bow relies heavily on Element damages to do any damage at all.

Slow weapons: Great sword, Hammer, Switch Axe, Heavy Bowgun.
Middle ground: Insect Glaive, Hunting Horn, Long Sword, GunLance, Charge Blade.
Fast weapons: Sword and Shield, Dual Blades, Lance, Bow, Light Bowgun (elemental shots rapid fire).

Do note that the above list is just my opinion, and that other hunters may think otherwise.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

i have a coiled nail+ that i would guess is more powerful than my schattenthing (gore great sword), but the gore weapon has dragon. if a monster is weak to dragon is the coiled nail+ still better? i think its rare 4 and the next highest i have is rare 3, does that automatically make it better?

i've looked at the tables on the wiki, but i'm not sure what the numbers for weaknesses mean.

i'm on the level 5 solo quests if that makes any difference. i'm about to do yian garuaga and wondering if its worth even trying to get a water element weapon given that i probably won't be able to get a rare 4 one (I only have coiled nail+ from getting stuff early from online hunts with higher ranked hunters).
Seriously, MH damage formula are kind of a bitch to explain so here's gaijin hunter's vid on elemental damage.

pronk420

thanks so much! i'll check out the video but it sounds like elements won't matter too much for me since i prefer slow weapons (usually swaxe/greatsword), just playing around with longswords

co1onel

Bow relies heavily on Element damages to do any damage at all.

This is completely false. With bows like the seregios bow that have insanely high raw damage, combined with the new powershot, and with normal-up thrown on top for a whopping 10% attack boost, raw bows outclass elemental bows in almost every scenario. The only thing better is a relic bow with high raw and high elemental. Spread bows can potentially do even more raw damage, since spread-up gives an insane 30% attack boost.

Nohar

This is completely false. With bows like the seregios bow that have insanely high raw damage, combined with the new powershot, and with normal-up thrown on top for a whopping 10% attack boost, raw bows outclass elemental bows in almost every scenario. The only thing better is a relic bow with high raw and high elemental. Spread bows can potentially do even more raw damage, since spread-up gives an insane 30% attack boost.

Interesting, but I'd like to see actual numbers in case by case scenarios (I'm not doubting you*, I'm just interested by the maths).

*Edit: OK, I admit I'm doubting you just a little, especially when you say that "Raw bows outclass element bows in almost every scenario". Hence why I want the maths (with a bow set geared toward raw versus a bow set geared toward elemental damage, against the same monster).

Interesting, but I'd like to see actual numbers in case by case scenarios (I'm not doubting you*, I'm just interested by the maths).

*Edit: OK, I admit I'm doubting you just a little, especially when you say that "Raw bows outclass element bows in almost every scenario". Hence why I want the maths (with a bow set geared toward raw versus a bow set geared toward elemental damage, against the same monster).

Check out http://qopgxrpm.site.aplus.net/mh4ubow/ and the corresponding Reddit thread. The key takeaways are:

• Capcom doesn't know what they're doing re: Seregios weapons
  • Element damage could use a rework
  • No, seriously, Capcom doesn't know what they're doing re: Seregios weapons

Simulations aren't the end-all be-all, especially in a game like MH where play skill plays a significant role over equipment. For example, the Ukanlos Skyflier performs well in sims because of that natural level 4 charge, but the reality of using said level 4 charge in an actual hunt is dependent on how much the monster targets you and if you can consistently have all of your Rapid arrows hit the same zone. In the end, work on your play skills and the kill times will follow.

Shengar

Don't get too fixated on optimization. If you're sick seeing the same weapon and set over and over again, there's no harm switching to less efficient set, weapon or whatever. Trying to improve yourself via solo or MP kill time is good but it's become bad when kill time solely become the end goal. Number isn't everything and as long as you don't dragged the team down, wear whatever you want.

Kater

Banned
thanks so much! i'll check out the video but it sounds like elements won't matter too much for me since i prefer slow weapons (usually swaxe/greatsword), just playing around with longswords
Well, the Switch Axe is not as slow as the Great Sword from my own experience. You can get a lot of hits in with a good combo.

Actually, the hammer (which is also mentioned as a slow weapon a lot of times) can get a lot of hits in too if you combo it right and don't just do the Ground Pound + Golf Swing (XXX) combo.

ChrisD

I always wonder what anyone that calls the Hammer slow is doing. You have two Dash attacks, a spin attack, a Mind's Eye Super Pound, AND Triple Pound. Not... just Triple Pound.

I almost have full White Monoblos armor. I know other endgame sets are far greater, but this thing seems godlike for G2. I just need built-in Sharpness +1 to be happy and it delivers.

Nohar

Check out http://qopgxrpm.site.aplus.net/mh4ubow/ and the corresponding Reddit thread. The key takeaways are:

• Capcom doesn't know what they're doing re: Seregios weapons
  • Element damage could use a rework
  • No, seriously, Capcom doesn't know what they're doing re: Seregios weapons

Simulations aren't the end-all be-all, especially in a game like MH where play skill plays a significant role over equipment. For example, the Ukanlos Skyflier performs well in sims because of that natural level 4 charge, but the reality of using said level 4 charge in an actual hunt is dependent on how much the monster targets you and if you can consistently have all of your Rapid arrows hit the same zone. In the end, work on your play skills and the kill times will follow.

Interesting. Thank you very much for your input. I think I'll try that bow to see for myself how good it is. Any advices armor and talent-wise? I almost never played bow.

Interesting. Thank you very much for your input. I think I'll try that bow to see for myself how good it is. Any advices armor and talent-wise? I almost never played bow.

I wore the G-rank Kushala armor for a pretty long time. It has Focus built-in, which lets you charge the bow faster and is pretty much mandatory with the Skyflier so you can use that level 4 charge more often. You can easily get Load Up if you have a good charm, and although you don't need it with the Skyflier, it's pretty good with other bows. Beyond that, you'll pretty much be looking for damage-boosting skills: Normal/Rapid Up, Attack Up, Challenger, etc.

The key to the Bow is positioning and stamina management. You need to stay at critical distance for the best damage, which is about 1-2 rolls away from the monster. You'll know you're hitting at critical distance if you see large yellow flashes when your arrows hit. With the Skyflier, you'll want to use that level 4 charge as much as possible, aiming for the weakest shot damage point.

so how do I go about farming charms now that I'm G2? Is it that rathalos quest that gaijin hunter made a video on that everyone uses?

If so, is there an alternative for non-IG users?

tuffy

so how do I go about farming charms now that I'm G2? Is it that rathalos quest that gaijin hunter made a video on that everyone uses?

If so, is there an alternative for non-IG users?
I'm not a Glaive person, so I use the G2 quest "All-You-Can-Hunt Remobra" for charm farming.

The idea's similar. Eat for Felyne Explorer and check for charms in the secret area if it activates (or abandon if Explorer doesn't activate and you don't start in the secret area). Check the rare blue nodes in areas 10, 7 and 8 for charms. Carry the meteor chunk across areas 7 and 2 back to the red box in camp. Check the blue node in area 5. Then exit via subquest.

My charm set has enough slots for Pro Transporter so I can do in run in almost exactly 4 minutes, depending on how many rare nodes show up, but it only takes a little longer without it.

Stygian Zinogre. Farm your charms, kill 8 ioprey and end via sub quest.

-Alternis
Ah, I've done the HR version of this. Guess it still works.
I'm not a Glaive person, so I use the G2 quest "All-You-Can-Hunt Remobra" for charm farming.

The idea's similar. Eat for Felyne Explorer and check for charms in the secret area if it activates (or abandon if Explorer doesn't activate and you don't start in the secret area). Check the rare blue nodes in areas 10, 7 and 8 for charms. Carry the meteor chunk across areas 7 and 2 back to the red box in camp. Check the blue node in area 5. Then exit via subquest.

My charm set has enough slots for Pro Transporter so I can do in run in almost exactly 4 minutes, depending on how many rare nodes show up, but it only takes a little longer without it.
Hm... lack of pro transporter might make this a bit tedious, but I'll try it out.

Thank you both.

This, even with SnS I can finish a run in under 5 minutes if I'm really trying. Also on the good runs I've gotten up to 8 or 9 enduring charms a run.

Don't have this mission just yet. Feeling a bit too lethargic to play right now. Think I'll get it unlocked later tonight or tomorrow.

That sounds pretty quick, though. I tried the Rhemobra method and got quite unlucky both with monster and node spawns, so I've gotta see how I like a better run.

Wanderer5

Now that I found my 3DS case where this game was at, time to check out the Star Knight armor heh. Going to need both Zinogre and Seregios rare item through, ugh. Fortunately they are two of my favorite monsters, but then again so is Brachydios...

tuffy

Now that I found my 3DS case where this game was at, time to check out the Star Knight armor heh. Going to need both Zinogre and Seregios rare item through, ugh. Fortunately they are two of my favorite monsters, but then again so is Brachydios...
Since the Star Knight armor quest features both a Zinogre and Seregios, it's easy to wind up with a lot of those parts just in the course of collecting the tickets.

Wanderer5

Since the Star Knight armor quest features both a Zinogre and Seregios, it's easy to wind up with a lot of those parts just in the course of collecting the tickets.

Unless RNGesus wants to take a dump on you and troll.:p Whatever I see how it goes heh.

Alright think I'll open a room for whatever. Anyone welcome. Dunno how long I'll be on, but I figure I should make a bit of progress.

48-0178-4439-1564
Pass: 8888

NSESN

Beat A.Rathalos, Yian Garuga, B.Tigrex, and S. Zinogre today, almost beating caravan, but i hate to fight brachydios, so i'll take more time to prepare

Wanderer5

Ugh stupid quitters. Yeah sorry I got killed off in the first 2-3 mins or so when I was pinned to a corner by Zinogre and was trying to dodge while someone was spamming flash bombs.<.< Yeah just quit then after a single loss.

Elija2

Ugh stupid quitters. Yeah sorry I got killed off in the first 2-3 mins or so when I was pinned to a corner by Zinogre and was trying to dodge while someone was spamming flash bombs.<.< Yeah just quit then after a single loss.

Yeah, I got a lot of quitters when I was doing the USJ quest too. It's not like getting carted early on means the quest is doomed. The quest only takes 10 minutes to beat with a good team, but if someone quits then that just makes it harder for everyone else. I mean, one time I had someone quit right at the beginning just because both monsters got aggroed at once. That guy didn't even give it a chance!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Super late but I just started up this game again after months of inactivity. Got to the gore magala fight on the ship very early on in the campaign and I am getting slaughtered.

I am a mh3u veteran, and have just been wearing non upgraded jaggy gear(biding time for better gear later). Have had zero trouble with every mission, then this asshole on the ship comes and annihilates me. I guess I should start blowing some armor upgrades or invest in a better rank 2 outfit. Fight is kind of bs dealing with such a cramped space, and severely punishing windows for setting up cannons and whatnot. I refuse to cheese it by sleeping in the bed too, I'm better than that!

Anteo

Super late but I just started up this game again after months of inactivity. Got to the gore magala fight on the ship very early on in the campaign and I am getting slaughtered.

I am a mh3u veteran, and have just been wearing non upgraded jaggy gear(biding time for better gear later). Have had zero trouble with every mission, then this asshole on the ship comes and annihilates me. I guess I should start blowing some armor upgrades or invest in a better rank 2 outfit. Fight is kind of bs dealing with such a cramped space, and severely punishing windows for setting up cannons and whatnot. I refuse to cheese it by sleeping in the bed too, I'm better than that!

I thought that was the point of the fight? It's just a fight to introduce you to the monster in a super safe enviroment, you dont even get to kill it until you fight him in land in a proper fight.

making another room since I had to drop to eat and it seems the previous room is gone.

68-0195-0711-1759
Pass: 8888

As usual, anyone's welcome. I'm really just interested in playing the game, target doesn't matter to me.

another productive day. Think I'm going to search online for a chameleos room and get the last handful of finehides and finish up this set.

Then it's charm farming time.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Lagombi has to be my least favorite monster to hunt in this game so far. All the sliding around, the backwards butt-stomp when you try to attack it from behind and the stupid ice balls make it an annoying monster already but the real thing that chaps my ass is that you fight it in the frozen seaway in areas that have NOTHING to jump off of, so you can't ever mount the damn thing unless you've got a glaive on. I did the high rank quests where you gotta kill 2 of those things by myself and by the end I'd almost sworn off Monster Hunter. Man I hate those things.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lagombi has to be my least favorite monster to hunt in this game so far. All the sliding around, the backwards butt-stomp when you try to attack it from behind and the stupid ice balls make it an annoying monster already but the real thing that chaps my ass is that you fight it in the frozen seaway in areas that have NOTHING to jump off of, so you can't ever mount the damn thing unless you've got a glaive on. I did the high rank quests where you gotta kill 2 of those things by myself and by the end I'd almost sworn off Monster Hunter. Man I hate those things.

Side-step is king against them. Stay right in front of them and when they motion for the charge you just side-step and you're in the clear. It's one of those monsters that have a very definite and easily learned pattern, once you kill a couple it gets way easier.

Wolfe

Thanks, but somebody already gave me the head, arms and waist. I just need the chest and legs now.

I just checked and the only ones I have that fulfill your criteria are bias you already have of course.

On that note you wouldn't happen to have any Cham/Teostra/S.Magala with Tri Series Legs would you?

co1onel

I just checked and the only ones I have that fulfill your criteria are bias you already have of course.

On that note you wouldn't happen to have any Cham/Teostra/S.Magala with Tri Series Legs would you?

Sorry, I just checked and I have cham/teo/magala tri series for everything except legs.

Nohar

Carted 3 times against Crimson Fatalis while playing bow. I've never felt so ashamed in all my life. It's really been ages since I played a long-range weapon.

Chuckpebble

Anyone here solo dalamadur?

Failed twice now due to time.
I guess my question is: what do I do when the clock is winding down, after he breaks that one peak, and he pretty much does constant meteor showers. I'm just not sure how to best deal damage then.

Kater

Banned
Anyone here solo dalamadur?

Failed twice now due to time.
I guess my question is: what do I do when the clock is winding down, after he breaks that one peak, and he pretty much does constant meteor showers. I'm just not sure how to best deal damage then.
I just hack away at him all the time, focusing mostly on his arms, chest and stomach, the parts that are mostly accessible. You can hit him even if he moves.

And use the times when he falls and has his head laying in the dirt to get some hits in on his head too.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Why are there so many French people in this game? I don't get it... Are they even real French people, or the fake, Canadian kind?

Top Bottom