• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

jorgejjvr

I hate this feeling when I'm putting a set together and I have so many free slots but practically nothing I can put into them to have any useful function. I really need to look into talisman farming. I think that'd really help fill in some skill gaps if I could get sharpness +1 or HG plugs onto any set I wanted but I just don't have the charms for it currently.

Anyways, it took so much grinding thru the single player quests (to get to G-rank monoblos) and leveling my own blue yian kut ku guild quest up from like level 50 to 86 to get all the pieces I needed, but I finally finished the kirin armor set. All that work for kind of an underwhelming set, but at least it looks nice. It goes nicely with the artifact hunting horn I found randomly in my loot chest and decided to polish and try out (since it has Free Element on it).

So HH is actually a lot more straightforward than I thought it was going to be. Playing songs in the heat of battle is not as complicated as I thought it was going to be and the weapon itself kind of plays like a more basic switch axe where it's kind of slow but you can evade cancel out of every move. Unlike the SA tho it doesn't have a good way to just wail on downed/stationary enemies, but I think the added damage from giving attack up L to an entire team probably makes up for that. I practically never see these used in my halls but I love having the buffs, so I guess I've just gotta do it myself for a while to spread the love.

Remember HH do much more stun damage than hammers, so yeah. Don't waste your time on farming charms, dude. Just go to the guy next to the huge pot in the Cathar village and he'll take any unwanted charms you have and turn them into more charms. My favorite type of melding from him is Juju melting, where you turn in pure frenzy crystals and relatively rare (rare 8-10 charms I think) charms for a random number of timeworn and enduring charms (which are the best you can get in ordinary G rank). Once you finish any quest, you can check back with Maxwell (I think his name is or something with an M) and claim your new charms. If you combine this with doing Super and Ultra (Ultra is the best for amazing relic armor, weapons, and charms. Super is 126+ lvl, ultra is 136+) G rank to gain even more powerful charms, distorted and graven charms.

Also, keep in mind that when turning in your charms in the melding pot to gain new charms, I believe you have a higher chance of getting slotted talismans if you give him slotted tailsmans too. And even if you don't get the charms you're looking for out of the melding pot in Cathar, pick the charms that he needs for JuJu melding so you don't lose anything (so, say if it takes rare 8-10 tailsman, I think they have to be specific rare 8-10 tailsman, so if you don't get anything you want from the melding pot, might as well get the tailsman you need to turn into him in the first place so you get a "free" second chance, if that makes sense).

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

I just beat gog, but now i don't know what to do in this game.

Decipher the scrolls and participate in the quests you unlock to experience real G rank. Also, participate in 126+ and 136+ Guild Quests for amazing relics and divine spheres. Some monsters like G furious Rajang, Apex Zinogre, etc. require for you to hunt a certain amount of Fanged Wyverns, Zinogres, Tigrexes, Gravios', Tidal Najarla'a, Etc.

-Alternis

Anyone up to farming Tetsu or Lagombi or Cephadrome? Not having good luck with randoms.

Unrelated, the gypceros SnS is as fantastic as I was hoping. I really like the weapon, too. Simple on the surface but there's lots of depth to the combos. The ability to use items while in battle stance is pretty fantastic. Gonna design an explosive trapper set with this.

I'm game to beat them up.

Just got a flawless fight vs double lagombi online. Dodged literally every attack. Jesus christ SnS is the best thing since sliced bread I wish I had recorded this :DDDDDD

Oh, and I was using peek performance. so good
I'm game to beat them up.

will post a room, 2 secs :)

08-2636-3051-1278
Pass: 8888

Wolfe

I haven't been dropped from the room at all so far

Sometimes it's a universal disconnect that will leave the host in the room by themselves and even though it appears to still be joinable on your end no one will be able to rejoin. Effectively the same as if you were dropped as well.

lol I can't believe I still need 6 rippers from Shah to make Escadora. I uh yeah I don't think I have the courage to go for it anymore.

Dude I actually did a HR run solo last night so I could farm the last 3 shattered omen I need for the HR EX set, I get them and then find out I still need 4 talons for the belt (last piece). That and the gog fight I'm not super into given it feels like a chore doing the fight multiple times in a row.

The Star Knight armor is way too overpowered! Is there no set of armor that can match it? It was so easy to make and it seems better than the White Fatalis armor, whenever that one decides to show up on this side of the ocean.

White Fatalis is part of the latest episodic DLC quest line, and yes the star knight armor is better overall than W.Fatalis, but that's why I made them both (and honestly I'll use W.Fatalis far more than star knight but that's just me personally). But yeah, it's out if you do decide you want to make it.

Just to clarify the Juju melding requires both Pure and Vile frenzy crystals (3 of each I believe) and the talismans it uses are rare 7 and lower. Fabled melding (in which you get one enduring charm back) uses the rare 8/9/10 talismans, but you are not able to use the talismans you get from high level guild quests for this one, only talismans from enduring charms (so no talis from graven and the other GQ exclusive charm).

What I like to do is Juju meld when I have the spare Vile Frenzy and Fabled meld when I'm low on them (I'm never in short supply of Pure Frenzy), that way even if it's 1 at a time you're still getting new charms and if they're garbage you can set them aside to be remelded at some point.

White Fatalis is part of the latest episodic DLC quest line, and yes the star knight armor is better overall than W.Fatalis, but that's why I made them both (and honestly I'll use W.Fatalis far more than star knight but that's just me personally). But yeah, it's out if you do decide you want to make it.
Really?! Which one? I have 3 I downloaded at once.

jorgejjvr

Really?! Which one? I have 3 I downloaded at once.

The one at the bottom, the Jumbo village chief one.

Honestly even by gemming out HORRIBLE LUCK, it still has pretty bad resistances, and at most I can get Honed Blade, Critical God, and Constitution +2, and honestly 880-901 defense isn't worth it.

You also only have two single slots in the entire armor piece

-Alternis

Honestly even by gemming out HORRIBLE LUCK, it still has pretty bad resistances, and at most I can get Honed Blade, Critical God, and Constitution +2, and honestly 880-901 defense isn't worth it.

-Alternis
Geez, how do you get 880-901 defense? I have only one divine armor sphere. Sounds like it would take forever.

I'm well aware of the White Fatalis armor's stats. Still gonna try to make it. I have a +6 Fate talisman and two Large Elder Dragon Gems waiting to be used.

jorgejjvr

Geez, how do you get 880-901 defense? I have only one divine armor sphere. Sounds like it would take forever.

I'm well aware of the White Fatalis armor's stats. Still gonna try to make it. I have a +6 Fate talisman and two Large Elder Dragon Gems waiting to be used.

All my weapons are honed for defense. Without them, I would have like 820-841 defense, which sucks.

-Alternis

All my weapons are honed for defense. Without them, I would have like 820-841 defense, which sucks.

-Alternis
My strongest sets of armor have 716 defense with armor charms and talons and without defense hone. I assume 800-900 defense comes from more divine armor spheres than I can get in one lifetime.

upandaway

Honestly I think they really messed up the divine sphere situation. It's completely ridiculous. I've been playing at endgame with you guys with ~650 def for a while, now I'm at 726 on my highest def set, and I've pretty much settled into it. Farming all those GQs for a drop is not worth the pain.

I don't really defense hone either

upandaway

Sometimes it's a universal disconnect that will leave the host in the room by themselves and even though it appears to still be joinable on your end no one will be able to rejoin. Effectively the same as if you were dropped as well.
I see, they all joined into the same room quickly though.

edit: oh whoops. man look at that. i seriously forgot i just posted.

wow

Shengar

Honestly I think they really messed up the divine sphere situation. It's completely ridiculous. I've been playing at endgame with you guys with ~650 def for a while, now I'm at 726 on my highest def set, and I've pretty much settled into it. Farming all those GQs for a drop is not worth the pain.

I don't really defense hone either

After 700 hours of playing, tons of two-shots and one-shots and I realized that defense honing doesn't make much different against high leveled GQ monsters except if you're a gunner where every point of defense count. I think there are diminish return on higher level defense. Even then, competent teammate and good luck (yes, luck) is much more important to bringing the monsters down.

jorgejjvr

My strongest sets of armor have 716 defense with armor charms and talons and without defense hone. I assume 800-900 defense comes from more divine armor spheres than I can get in one lifetime.

I can't play with a set that has less than 800 defense for me. I frankly don't use the White Fatalis armor because it kind of sucks, but the set I always use is maxed completely in terms of defense level, which used up 40-46 divine armor spheres. This gives the set I use the most 861 defense if you include defense hone, and once I get the triple essences from my Kinsect with my IG (which doesn't take long), I end up with around 929 defense or more for around 5 minutes until I need to refill my juices. One of my Glaives give +100 defense with the added lifehone, for about 969 defense per five minutes.

I don't find them to be too hard to get though, as I find Super and Ultra G rank quests to be relatively simple and easy most of the time. Because of that, I'm swimming in them. I have like about 80-90 in my item box :p

The desire sensor is a demon, I swear. Ever since I stop needing Large Elder Dragon gems, I get them like once every Cham/Teo/Kushala hunt, I've got like 63 of them and it is times like this I wish you can trade items above rarity 3 to help you guys out.

-Alternis
You may have a point Shengar, but all I'm saying is with triple juices and 929+ defense, I can survive a level 140 Rajang's laser, and I think that is worth a consideration. Frankly, the only thing I can't survive in one hit is Kushala Daora's black tornado, which even at 1000+ defense (due to a hunting horn), still instantly killed me.

Shengar

You may have a point Shengar, but all I'm saying is with triple juices and 929+ defense, I can survive a level 140 Rajang's laser, and I think that is worth a consideration. Frankly, the only thing I can't survive in one hit is Kushala Daora's black tornado, which even at 1000+ defense (due to a hunting horn), still instantly killed me.

See, shit like this that makes me believe defense beyond 700 is useless. Chameleos wild mist spray will one hit kill you no matter how much defense you had. Shagaru Magala waves of charged explosion will carts you instantly when hit. It's much better to hone your dodging skill even when you can't get the MoI right. Also in my experience, not even GQ 140 Rajang's kamehameha ever oneshot me at full health . Their Blankas ball is much dangerous because it's harder to dodge than its kamehameha beam.

tuffy

I'm just glad my main armor sets have 533-537 defense, which jumps to 563-567 once Armor Charm/Talons are factored in. Gunner armor pieces take an enormous amount of Divine Spheres to max out - like 15+ in some cases - so I've tried to recycle the same pieces across as many different sets as I can.

But I have a lot of specialized LBG sets for different situations that I'll probably never get enough spheres to max out simply because it takes so many and the amount I can get per quest is so few.

This is why I decided to make a decent element LBG set without using the charm slot and just use charms and decorations to get up to E Atk+3. I also have Challenger on a lot of my sets so I can reuse my maxed Brachy pieces.

jorgejjvr

Chameleos wild mist spray will one hit kill you no matter how much defense you had. Shagaru Magala waves of charged explosion will carts you instantly when hit. It's much better to hone your dodging skill even when you can't get the MoI right. Also in my experience, not even GQ 140 Rajang's kamehameha ever oneshot me at full health . Their Blankas ball is much dangerous because it's harder to dodge than its kamehameha beam.

I would just like to say that at the defenses I'm speaking of, both the Wild Mist Spray of a 140 Chameleos and the nuke from Shagaru Magala can be survived, albeit with relatively very low health. In the case of Chameleos, you barely have enough time to sneak in an antidote, so you must be quick (although wild mist is easy to dodge, Shagaru's nuke isn't). I will however, note, that Shagaru's nuke can never be survived if you're experiencing the debuff from the virus.

Also, his blanka balls are easy to dodge because even if you do get hit once, you can just lay down until it's safe.

-Alternis

Lay of the Land is the set of episodic quests with White Fatalis, isn't it? The one with Jumbo Village Guildmarm and company had a Gold Rathian at the end. What a waste of time.

jorgejjvr

Lay of the Land is the set of episodic quests with White Fatalis, isn't it? The one with Jumbo Village Guildmarm and company had a Gold Rathian at the end. What a waste of time.

You did the Guild Sweetheart one, dude.

I was talking about the one whom the person you talk to is the Jumbo Village Chief.

-Alternis

Wolfe

-Alternis

Lol yeah it's true, and I kind of hate the waist wings on male armor. For me it's just another novelty all around armor for when I don't need anything specific.

Renewed

Ha, I guess even when you want to do Arena Quests for coins you can get stuck with cases of "no why are you putting up a Monster Fest?"

I'll never escape having to put my foot down.

Edit: Giving Switch Axe a spin and dang this thing is cool. Might look into making a set for this.

Just got to White Fatalis. Any tips on how to solo this guy? Is he as near-impossible as in Freedom Unite? Should I go for the Akantor Bow again?

jorgejjvr

Yeah, I figured it out. I must have misread your last comment.

Alright. Either way, my apologies for the confusion.

Yeah, he can be solo'd.

I believe both me and Wolfe have solo'd him, so it's possible.

I did it a little bit longer than 15 minutes, I believe. If I recall correctly he has much more health than Crimson Fatalis, so the fact that he takes 70% more dragon damage on the head is crucial, always go for it and mount if it applies.

-Alternis

Alright. Either way, my apologies for the confusion.

Yeah, he can be solo'd.

I believe both me and Wolfe have solo'd him, so it's possible.

I did it a little bit longer than 15 minutes, I believe. If I recall correctly he has much more health than Crimson Fatalis, so the fact that he takes 70% more dragon damage on the head is crucial, always go for it and mount if it applies.

-Alternis
Which weapon would be good to use against White Fatalis? My only dragon weapons so far are dual blades.

Also, are there any unarmored body parts when it goes into armor mode? I fought it for a little bit earlier to test the waters and noticed that the area at the base of its tail didn't produce yellow sparks when I hit it even though its armor mode was active. I was using Mind's Eye, but even the sound effect was the normal slashing sound rather than the bouncing sound.

jorgejjvr

Which weapon would be good to use against White Fatalis? My only dragon weapons so far are dual blades.

Also, are there any unarmored body parts when it goes into armor mode? I fought it for a little bit earlier to test the waters and noticed that the area at the base of its tail didn't produce yellow sparks when I hit it even though its armor mode was active.

I use the insect Glaive with star knight armor, for fast and easy mounts and insane dragon damage and raw damage dps on the head after a mount. I suppose you don't need to mount to get to the head, but it helps. Go for the head whenever you can, but not if it can cause death. His nuke is super deadly.

To my knowledge, all of his "insides" can be cut through even in armor mode, as well as the head. What I mean by insides is that say, if you and him were to look right at each other (and Fatalis is on two legs, not four), all that you would be looking at is able to be cut in armor mode, all the soft, fleshy parts like the chest, his small arms, his belly/inner groin, etc.

I'm pretty sure the outside, like his back, tail, wings, and hind legs cannot be cut.

-Alternis
Keep in mind, that's a risky trade because attack such areas are dangerous since you may be crushed by his belly flop or disintegrated by his nuke.

I use the insect Glaive with star knight armor, for fast and easy mounts and insane dragon damage and raw damage dps on the head after a mount. I suppose you don't need to mount to get to the head, but it helps. Go for the head whenever you can, but not if it can cause death. His nuke is super deadly.

To my knowledge, all of his "insides" can be cut through even in armor mode, as well as the head. What I mean by insides is that say, if you and him were to look right at each other (and Fatalis is on two legs, not four), all that you would be looking at is able to be cut in armor mode, all the soft, fleshy parts like the chest, his small arms, his belly/inner groin, etc.

I'm pretty sure the outside, like his back, tail, wings, and hind legs cannot be cut.

-Alternis
Keep in mind, that's a risky trade because attack such areas are dangerous since you may be crushed by his belly flop or disintegrated by his nuke.
The S. Magala insect glaive for dragon damage, right? Or do you use another one?

jorgejjvr

The S. Magala insect glaive for dragon damage, right? Or do you use another one?

Honestly, I was able to get the G Rank Black Fatalis Insect Glaive due to a GAFer who had the DLC early, and it outclasses Shagaru's in every way, but yeah, Shagaru is perfectly fine as it's the only one available for dragon if you can't get the Fatalis one. So yeah, Shagaru in your case.

-Alternis

Honestly, I was able to get the G Rank Black Fatalis Insect Glaive due to a GAFer who had the DLC early, and it outclasses Shagaru's in every way, but yeah, Shagaru is perfectly fine as it's the only one available for dragon if you can't get the Fatalis one. So yeah, Shagaru in your case.

-Alternis
Don't suppose the Hazy Caster is good enough. Now I have to farm and go through the Kinsect leveling ordeal again.

Ok just picked up this game recently. What does a monster hunter noon need to know?

If you haven't played monster hunter, you should familiarize yourself with the places to go when you have a question. Most things in monster hunter are pretty well documented these days, so don't hesitate to google around. My go-to places to look are:

Gaijin Hunter's Youtube (he also has a Tumblr)

Kiranico

The Monster Hunter Subreddit (particularly the stickied Resource Thread)

Other than this, you need to learn how skills work. Generally, in MonHun, any given armor piece will give you points to certain skills (you can go to your menu and select "status" to view the skill points on your current armor set, or use LR to flip through the information on a selected armor piece at the forge). These skill points do not individually give you skills, but instead when you accumulate enough of them the given skill is activated.

For example, if I have 9 points in Water Atk+, I don't get anything. However, 10-14 points will activate Water Atk +1. If I then get 15-19 points I can get Water Atk +2, and further along Water Atk +3. Not all skills have multiple tiers, and some skills have more tiers than others, so do some research. Within the Status screen you can view details on any specific skill you have points in by pressing the Y button. It's also good to realize that there are detrimental skills that you remove by increasing points in. One last thing to note is that a given armor set (made up of Head, Chest, Arms, Waist, and Legs pieces) will generally give you a handful of skills (3 or so positive, 1 negative typically) as well as sometimes giving you a few extra points to something that doesn't reach its activation threshold. What this amounts to is that full sets will typically give you skills easily, but with some clever combining, you can min/max more efficiently with mixed sets.

This system is key to success in the game, and not understanding it makes the game not only needlessly monotonous and difficult, but lacking in the dynamism that makes the series so good.

Here are also a few helpful tools to help you out:

Athena's Armor Set Search

Ping's MH4G Dex

Monster Weakness/Ailment Spreadsheet

And with that... Good Luck! Happy hunting!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Was in a pub hall doing star knight quests and got ditched by everyone when I only need one more of each ticket type (so hopefully only one more fight to finish). Anybody wanna come help?

49-3149-2813-7457

ed: got it, ended up taking 3 more tries to get both tickets...

jorgejjvr

Was in a pub hall doing star knight quests and got ditched by everyone when I only need one more of each ticket type (so hopefully only one more fight to finish). Anybody wanna come help?

49-3149-2813-7457

ed: got it, ended up taking 3 more tries to get both tickets...

Are you enjoying your Star Knight Armor? If you wanna start doing Super and Ultra G rank quests for those sneaky and rare divine spheres, I'm your guy and would happily help! I am reliable and strong and lead to multiple mounts, so you don't really have to worry about faints or hold ups coming from me, and you know it! :D

-Alternis

Top Bottom