• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Are you enjoying your Star Knight Armor? If you wanna start doing Super and Ultra G rank quests for those sneaky and rare divine spheres, I'm your guy and would happily help! I am reliable and strong and lead to multiple mounts, so you don't really have to worry about faints or hold ups coming from me, and you know it! :D

-Alternis

I got it but I haven't decorated it yet. I'm still G3 so I still can't do higher ranked quests, but yeah I'm definitely hurting for armor spheres. Even the lower level ones. I was sitting on a ton of them before I started building lots of high end sets and I've blown thru all of them. I need strong and heavy spears EN MASSE, and then of course divine ones to reach the upper levels.

I recently discovered whatever the system is called to upgrade your weapons. It was either more attack power, some defense, or some other thing I can't remember. How do I want to be doing this? Is the process reversible, or can you just do all 3 upgrades eventually so it doesn't need to be?

Kater

Banned
I recently discovered whatever the system is called to upgrade your weapons. It was either more attack power, some defense, or some other thing I can't remember. How do I want to be doing this? Is the process reversible, or can you just do all 3 upgrades eventually so it doesn't need to be?
If you are talking about the Honing system then yes, you can reverse that. Although the Zenith Wyvern Gems (standard and L) that you spent on Honing will be gone so try to think before you make a decision.

Oh, and it's Attack (which ups the attack power of that weapon), Defense (which gives your weapon extra defense points and gives you an effect similar to Divine Protection if you have it equipped) and Life (which refills a little bit of your HP bar on occasion and the amount depends on the damage you put out on a monster).

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If you are talking about the Honing system then yes, you can reverse that. Although the Zenith Wyvern Gems (standard and L) that you spent on Honing will be gone so try to think before you make a decision.

Oh, and it's Attack (which ups the attack power of that weapon), Defense (which gives your weapon extra defense points and gives you an effect similar to Divine Protection if you have it equipped) and Life (which refills a little bit of your HP bar on occasion and the amount depends on the damage you put out on a monster).

Thanks. How do people usually go about honing? Gut reaction says I always want to be doing the most damage as possible, but if this game has done nothing else it has taught me the importance of defense.

Thanks. How do people usually go about honing? Gut reaction says I always want to be doing the most damage as possible, but if this game has done nothing else it has taught me the importance of defense.

I think most people like attack for weapons that focus on really high damage (GS) and defense for basically everything else. It's not a huge enough difference that you're forced in to any of them, though. I'll probably end up honing for life cause I think it's cool.

jorgejjvr

All of my Chargw Blades and IG are honed for defense. In those Super and Ultra quests, the difference between 801 defense and 861 defense could mean life or death, especially with Glaives since you get even more defense from all the three juices. So yeah, I say defense. +60 defense and divine protection. I only use attack on switch axes but that's because my set allows me to evade through everything, so yeah.

Although I doubt you'll be able to even home anytime soon, as the monsters required to get those gems are locked behind G Crown (do your Gogmazios urgent already! XD).

I've always thought the more defense, the better. Plus, divine protection (yay). It also stacks by the way. If you have divine protection and a defense honed weapon, instead of a 25% less chance for 30% less damage, it'll be 44% chance, and if you have those two plus the kitchen skill Defender Hi, it'll be 58% chance.

-Alternis
There's an easy way to get heavy and strong spheres. Eat for Felyne Explorer and do the G2 Sovereign of the Sky quest. Jump down when you spawn/collect everything and go to Rath's lair. Mount him twice to break his back (which is easy with Star Knight, with Rodeo God you just keep mashing X as soon as you mount and provided he doesn't roar but instead starts squirming, you'll fill up the bar before he can't throw you off. If you do it right, by the time his squirm animation finishes, you only need like one or two more stabs to finish. This is why I have HG Plugs, to help with roars) and then you'll do the subquest. Go back to the place you were when you spawned, and mine like hell. There is always at least one gold mining spot here. Silver rocks can give heavy spheres while golden rocks can give strong spheres. When you collect them all, make your way to the area where a Zinogre usually spawns, mining anything you see on your way there. In the Zinogre spawn area, again there's always at least one gold mining area. Mine everything, and if you want a little more silver rocks, go to the Zinogre's cave (where he goes to sleep) and there's a silver rock. If you still want more, there's a silver rock on the bottom floor of that area almost nobody goes to (the one behind the camp, I think it's area 2). After that, end via subquest and repeat.

Wolfe

I though Old Fatalis will become another pushover but that bullshit armor mode change everything.

Your internet have messed you up for almost a month already lol

Well this bit of info should be telling, the place where I'm staying atm switched from ATT to Comcast recently :( ATT was not amazing (it was shit), but it was still better than Comcast.

Would it be faster to kill Shagaru Magala for its mantle or quit via subquest? This is going to take me several trillion tries at this rate and I figure a trillion 5 minute runs is better than a trillion 15-20 minute runs.

LiQuid!

Last night before I went to sleep I did some spring cleaning on my equipment box. Sold off a bunch of trash artifact weapons and bad talismans. Woke up to discover that in doing so I'd accidentally sold off the rarity 7 tigrex/molten tigrex hunting horn I'd been leveling up. In making that I'd used up almost all of a LOT of the specific materials from normal/brute/molten tigrexes, so I had to kill all that stuff repeatedly, with captures in order to farm it back up. Thankfully I didn't need any <5% drop rate rares to get it back or I might have quit MonHun...

This is why I can't let the game keep my inventory sorted for me.

tuffy

Would it be faster to kill Shagaru Magala for its mantle or quit via subquest? This is going to take me several trillion tries at this rate and I figure a trillion 5 minute runs is better than a trillion 15-20 minute runs.
The math seems to work out if you can break his horns and subquest out in about a third of the time or less. Horn break + subquest rewards seems to be ~4% odds, whereas horn break + 3 body carves + quest rewards is ~14%.
Would anyone be interested in helping me get a Conqueror seal G? Need one more to upgrade my potion funlance.
I could lend a hand for a bit. It looks like Raging Brachy is the least awful of all of them, and something I've practiced fairly often.

Wolfe

Last night before I went to sleep I did some spring cleaning on my equipment box. Sold off a bunch of trash artifact weapons and bad talismans. Woke up to discover that in doing so I'd accidentally sold off the rarity 7 tigrex/molten tigrex hunting horn I'd been leveling up. In making that I'd used up almost all of a LOT of the specific materials from normal/brute/molten tigrexes, so I had to kill all that stuff repeatedly, with captures in order to farm it back up. Thankfully I didn't need any <5% drop rate rares to get it back or I might have quit MonHun...

This is why I can't let the game keep my inventory sorted for me.

You think that's bad, on 3U my 200+ hour save got borked and I had to start over. Wasn't a big deal though as I was still having a ton of fun in the game with my friends.

Shengar

That was good session, thaks everyone! Got 2 elder dragon gems and couple of W. Fatalis.

Speaking of W. Fatalis, its LBG, the Absolute Bowgun looks like a beast. I mean, 403 attack, two slots, able to fire all elemental shots, and the only downside is below average reloading speed. I wonder why this weapon rarely got mentioned in LBG recommendations.

Speaking of W. Fatalis, its LBG, the Absolute Bowgun looks like a beast. I mean, 403 attack, two slots, able to fire all elemental shots, and the only downside is below average reloading speed. I wonder why this weapon rarely got mentioned in LBG recommendations.

It's rare to need different elemental shots on a mission. Plus, even with Loading the clip sizes are kinda low. The recommended guns all have 5- or 6-shot clips.

Shengar

It's rare to need different elemental shots on a mission. Plus, even with Loading the clip sizes are kinda low. The recommended guns all have 5- or 6-shot clips.

Oh yeah, I haven't seen the clip size. I guess that's one of its crippling point.
But on elemental shots, with that much damage it can easily outclass most of my specialized LBG. I can replace my set weapon with Absolute Bowgun and it'll be no problem.

And I just used bows on some serious hunt. Terrain elevation really fucked me up big time.

Oh yeah, I haven't seen the clip size. I guess that's one of its crippling point.
But on elemental shots, with that much damage it can easily outclass most of my specialized LBG. I can replace my set weapon with Absolute Bowgun and it'll be no problem.

And I just used bows on some serious hunt. Terrain elevation really fucked me up big time.

The main thing is that some monsters don't always give you a lot of time to reload, so a slow reload and a low clip size can give you some problems. How lucky do you feel, right?

Which monster were you fighting and on what map? I feel like being able to use the C-stick to fine-tune your aim justified me buying an N3DS.

Shengar

Which monster were you fighting and on what map? I feel like being able to use the C-stick to fine-tune your aim justified me buying an N3DS.

Brute Tigrex on the sandy cave GQ map. Too many times my arrow hit the ground even when I already adjust the camera properly. Unless I use aim mode, it just keep hitting the ground when the monster on even slightly elevated terrain. I'm just still not get used to it though since that was my first serious hunt. Thankfully I used circlepad so aiming will be easier once I got used to it.

upandaway

I've only used bows in the arena and I don't get aiming at all (I use the CCP). I just end up aiming with my position, if the monster doesn't have a weak low body part then, well, nuts.

I should probably learn how to aim sometime. But my arena times with the bow are usually decent so I don't feel like trying

Anura

Aiming isn't too bad (I use the classic controls with no CPP). All you have to do is wait for a chance to strike, press the aim button, and quickly/roughly aim at the monster. It's hard at first to hit your mark like this at first but eventually you should be nailing even tiny targets consistently and speedily. Just got to learn the sensitivity of the aiming and it's a cake walk

I've only used bows in the arena and I don't get aiming at all (I use the CCP). I just end up aiming with my position, if the monster doesn't have a weak low body part then, well, nuts.

I should probably learn how to aim sometime. But my arena times with the bow are usually decent so I don't feel like trying

Honestly, the lock-on-turn-and-shoot method works for the vast, vast majority of situations. I use Type 2 controls and have Bow Aim Mode Cancel set to manual, so I press X to toggle the aiming line and hold R to charge the bow. When I do need to fine-tune my aim, my thumb is free to use the C-stick/CPP to aim the line. I can also easily hit B to cancel the shot if something happens.

co1onel

Dpad is so much easier to aim with imo. The game doesn't require you to be very precise since most hitboxes are big enough. I use type 2 controls, with the aiming speed set to high. Just takes a split second to stop and aim at the weak point. Maybe try out what this guy does, seems to work well for him. Everyone I've talked to uses different settings for the bow setup, so it's best to mess around and figure out what works best for you.

LtOrange

I picked up MH4 at release, but life happened and I never got a chance to really dig into it. Is there any hope for me to enjoy the multiplayer this late in the game? I'm a completely new to the series and am worried the community is too far ahead of me now.

I picked up MH4 at release, but life happened and I never got a chance to really dig into it. Is there any hope for me to enjoy the multiplayer this late in the game? I'm a completely new to the series and am worried the community is too far ahead of me now.

Nah, you're good. Most people are pretty newbie online, I'd say. Check out my post at the bottom of the last page to help yourself get caught up.

Pila

Don't worry I see new players online all the time. Here on GAF skilled people will be happy to help you if you need an expert hunter and they'll use starting weapons/armor if you ask them so they're not overpowered gods who kill the monster in two minutes. Welcome! =)

LtOrange

I'm glad I didn't miss my chance to check out the multiplayer. I have been hesitate to turn the game back on because I thought I was just too far behind.

Nah, you're good. Most people are pretty newbie online, I'd say. Check out my post at the bottom of the last page to help yourself get caught up.

Thank you for showing me this. Armor is definitely the most overwhelming thing for me at the moment.

LiQuid!

Anybody wanna fight Gogmazios for my G3 urgent? The pubs are fleeing from my hall.

34-5058-8127-9369

ed: nice killed Gogma and got my crown! Got gem on my first try too!

Top Bottom