• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

H1PSTER

I've only just gotten to G-Rank and I'm trying to find some armour to start me off.

Since I'm loving the switch-axe at the moment I thought the Lagombi armour might do well and then I'd probably farm for the Nargacuga armour.

What are your thoughts? These two rabbits are fun to fight so I don't mind farming them.

tuffy

What are your thoughts? These two rabbits are fun to fight so I don't mind farming them.
Might as well go for it. The difference in defense between high rank and any G rank armor is large, so it's helpful to have some sort of starter set that's easy to farm right away. I started looking into mixing sets once I'd gotten my first G rank set completed and wasn't getting one-shotted by everything.

I've only just gotten to G-Rank and I'm trying to find some armour to start me off.

Since I'm loving the switch-axe at the moment I thought the Lagombi armour might do well and then I'd probably farm for the Nargacuga armour.

I used lagombi in G rank up until I got a nice r9/10 mix set. It's a nice set, especially if you like Evade Extender. If you don't though, I wouldn't bother, as that's really the key to the set.

Also lagombi is the easiest shit to farm ever. You could do that double lagombi quest solo if you wanted. Can't say I really recommend it over a party, though, lol.

Would love to hunt with you guys at some point. Whenever I would try to organize hunts or join hunts in the MH3U thread it never worked out.

Going to try my luck here now.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Been spamming Juju melds and Explorer/Rathalos back breaks with my IG and Charmer +15 on and I've been getting CRAP for talismans. Never seen so many TeamPlayer and TeamLeader talismans in my entire life, and nary a 3-slot to be found anywhere.

Wolfe

Been spamming Juju melds and Explorer/Rathalos back breaks with my IG and Charmer +15 on and I've been getting CRAP for talismans. Never seen so many TeamPlayer and TeamLeader talismans in my entire life, and nary a 3-slot to be found anywhere.

Yeah I tried that for a bit but got super bored of it quick. I don't really do charm gathering runs anymore and only meld when I remember. I've gotten decent charms from boths methods but it's too boring and typically (edit: more likely 99.9% of the time) just a bunch of junk.

Yeah I tried that for a bit but got super bored of it quick. I don't really do charm gathering runs anymore and only meld when I remember. I've gotten decent charms from boths methods but it's too boring and typically (edit: more likely 99.9% of the time) just a bunch of junk.

I honestly don't know how anyone could stand those charm gathering runs for more than 5-10 minutes. It's so monotonous and you get crap so often that I lose all motivation after just a couple runs.

Anyone doing anything?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I honestly don't know how anyone could stand those charm gathering runs for more than 5-10 minutes. It's so monotonous and you get crap so often that I lose all motivation after just a couple runs.

Anyone doing anything?

I've done about 20-30 juju melds, and enough charm runs to fill in the turns waiting for them to finish. It's monotonous and boring, but easy and mindless. I've been doing it while listening to podcasts and watching TV shows too. The act of actually doing the runs isn't an issue. The fact that I haven't received one usable talisman from all those juju melds and charm runs is the real stinger.

I suppose the consolation is I've been able to farm a lot of strong spheres, which I desperately needed. But I would LOVE to have gotten a handi talisman with some slots on it, or at the VERY least a handi talisman that doesn't have -6 health on it, which is just enough -health to fuck the DB set I use it on. The only talisman in all that farming I've gotten that even had "handicraft" anywhere on it was a handi -2 talisman that was immediately junked. I think I need to stick to farming graven charms from GQ's cause this charm farming is just not working out.

I do charm farming whenever I want to make some progress but don't want to think, or need to be able to put the game down at a moment's notice. My luck has been pretty polarized. Some really good charms, and the rest are garbage. Very very few "okay" charms.

Never Juju-ed nor charm ran either and currently have Expert +14, Attack +14 and Handicraft +5 talismans plus a few other usable ones.
I get pretty frequent, decent RARE10 drops just doing GQ's.
I was thinking this was something they'd improved with this game...?

LiQuid!

Creating custom mixed sets from scratch seems hard. I've got an idea for a set of skills I'd like to get on a set but trying to cross reference the skills on each piece of gear, available slots, potential decorations, the availability of torso up, my available talismans, and the possible conflicts from negative stats on items or decorations... It's all so much to consider.

Pila

I'm going to fight the Chameleos urgent in the caravan, I still need to unlock the Master Test, those "slay 12 little shits" quests were the worst thing...

Not going to lie, I killed Chammy just one time with randoms, I'm really not familiar with this bad boy. What's a solid weapon choice? My favs are GS/DB/GL/Lance/HH... I was thinking about the horn because I kind of remember Chammy having a low head? Tips from the GAF elite? ^^

Kater

Banned
Yeah, if you intend to break the horn you need something that can reach high. So a Hammer doesn't cut it. Go with one of the Gunner weapons or with a HH into that quest, that's what I like to use the most against Cham.

LiQuid!

How do they expect you to amass any quantity of true armor spheres when there's such a small window in the level of guild quest you need to do in order to get them? So many of the mixed sets I'm using lately need them but nobody does level 80-100 guild quests. Zero results searching for a hall doing 76+ GQs and all the rooms doing 86+ GQs are either doing GQs that are actually 100+ or they are farming specific monster parts and not actually even doing GQs to begin with.

Is this going to have to be a situation where I just team up with a friend and we swap a level 80 GQ back and forth resetting the level each time in order to farm them? Sounds like a nightmare tbh.

hunnies28

How do they expect you to amass any quantity of true armor spheres when there's such a small window in the level of guild quest you need to do in order to get them? So many of the mixed sets I'm using lately need them but nobody does level 80-100 guild quests. Zero results searching for a hall doing 76+ GQs and all the rooms doing 86+ GQs are either doing GQs that are actually 100+ or they are farming specific monster parts and not actually even doing GQs to begin with.

Is this going to have to be a situation where I just team up with a friend and we swap a level 80 GQ back and forth resetting the level each time in order to farm them? Sounds like a nightmare tbh.

The few people who actually post 80-100 GQ tend to be ignored in my experience. Everybody wants the 140 rare room.

tuffy

How do they expect you to amass any quantity of true armor spheres when there's such a small window in the level of guild quest you need to do in order to get them?
Polishing and trading in relics for points is the easiest way to accumulate a bunch of True Armor Spheres quickly. Rarity 7 or 8 seems to be about right. A not-so-quick way is to combine Armor Stones for them. I believe there's a low rank Dah'ren Mohran event which gives them out in its rewards.

At least the few armor pieces I had that needed True Spheres didn't require very many.

Pila

Yeah, if you intend to break the horn you need something that can reach high. So a Hammer doesn't cut it. Go with one of the Gunner weapons or with a HH into that quest, that's what I like to use the most against Cham.

Thanks =) I'm always happy to play some horn, let's teach that beast some music.

LiQuid!

Hmm, I hadn't tried polishing and turning in relics much. I've always been kind of short on the materials to polish, meteor crystal I think, cause I typically don't do a lot of mining on GQ's cause I'm usually sporting a full inventory.

Anyways, I just used up literally every true and divine armor sphere I had in my inventory leveling up a gunner set I made and then I realized the Star Knight gunner set does the exact same thing with Challenger +2 instead of Ruthlessness and with more defense since that's all rarity 10 instead of the mixed bag my assembled set was. So time to go farm some event tickets, another seregios lens and 2-3 dozen divine spheres. Yippee! At least divine spheres are a lot easier to get than the true spheres.

tuffy

Hmm, I hadn't tried polishing and turning in relics much. I've always been kind of short on the materials to polish, meteor crystal I think, cause I typically don't do a lot of mining on GQ's cause I'm usually sporting a full inventory.
I'll just do G rank expeditions and mine Meteor Crystals if I run low. If that's all I'm after, I'll take a gathering set and some Smoke Bombs to avoid fighting altogether, hit all the nodes, and return to town.

Another handy thing about trading in relics is that you'll get a lot of your polishing materials back so it's not quite as costly as it looks.

LiQuid!

What's up with IG users that don't mount? Are they just trying to make the game challenging? Just duo'd a ruby basarios with an IG dude that was, he was almost afraid of mounting... Took us 40 minutes to kill the thing (it was LOW G rank too) and he only mounted it twice the entire fight... Ruby basarios is one of the easiest monsters in the game to mount, he was just never jump attacking the damn thing. So infuriating.

What's up with IG users that don't mount? Are they just trying to make the game challenging? Just duo'd a ruby basarios with an IG dude that was, he was almost afraid of mounting... Took us 40 minutes to kill the thing (it was LOW G rank too) and he only mounted it twice the entire fight... Ruby basarios is one of the easiest monsters in the game to mount, he was just never jump attacking the damn thing. So infuriating.

I've been told in rooms before to "stop being so mount crazy". I never took it to heart but I wouldn't put it past some people to hear that and stop trying to mount altogether.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I feel bad for mounting Gog 7+ times a round because I don't want my team to die; but I see it as super annoying if I gotta pause from the action every minute or so because of a mount.

I feel bad for mounting Gog 7+ times a round because I don't want my team to die; but I see it as super annoying if I gotta pause from the action every minute or so because of a mount.

When I play gunner, mounts are pretty fantastic. With blademaster I can usually chain traps/breaks/paralysis out of them, so I don't mind. Were I more damage-focused, it might be a bit tedious, but given my playing habits it's nothing but a positive.

LiQuid!

Turns out ruby basarios is REEEEEEEEEEALLY susceptible to status. I had sleep DB and my friend had para LS and we were destroying him so fast. We finally got an IG user that was mounting him every few seconds, but it almost seemed like the mounts were bad because it was time we weren't just hammering the shit out of him.

Apparently there's server maintenance going on right now. Is there a place to get info on that? When will it end and I can start playing again?

tuffy

Apparently there's server maintenance going on right now. Is there a place to get info on that? When will it end and I can start playing again?
Server maintenance usually happens on Monday evenings for a few hours. I don't think there's any set time range for it, but it's never lasted very long.

LiQuid!

Hours
cry.gif

Reaching a point in my 10 star quests where things became very linear. I was glad to see it open up a little once I beat the elongated dragon. I need to unlock the Apex monsters so I can start farming them up and get my Stelios X armor. (I think I did that right.)

LiQuid!

Finally got a low battery warning for my circle pad pro. 412 hours of MonHun logged since I got it. I guess that's a pretty good run.

Beats

made a thread about some recent videos capcom/gaijinhunter put out for mhx.

not really feeling the excessive explosions for a couple of the hunter arts, but a lot of the new stuff looks pretty cool. Curious to see the specifics of blade coating for SnS and the pre-loaded shots on LBG/HBG.

So I've fallen in love the the Tessen relic Dual Blades!

GQ's that can drop them are: Black Diablos, Stygian Zinogre, Brute Tigrex, Brachydios

Anybody got any of those that start at a high level...?
I've got a Brute Tigrex lv.97 but whenever I make a room nobody joins.
Too low a level I guess...

EDIT: GQ question actually.
I also have a DB bias B.Tigrex dual quest (lv.92) which also has a S.Zinogre.
As both mons drop the blades I'm after, I'm guessing this would be the better quest to level up in order to get them?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So I've fallen in love the the Tessen relic Dual Blades!

GQ's that can drop them are: Black Diablos, Stygian Zinogre, Brute Tigrex, Brachydios

Anybody got any of those that start at a high level...?
I've got a Brute Tigrex lv.97 but whenever I make a room nobody joins.
Too low a level I guess...

EDIT: GQ question actually.
I also have a DB bias B.Tigrex dual quest (lv.92) which also has a S.Zinogre.
As both mons drop the blades I'm after, I'm guessing this would be the better quest to level up in order to get them?
No, whatever monster is the left portrait will determine all skins.

Top Bottom