• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Pejo

So I'm new to "Endgame" MH, as this is the first game where I actually made it. MH4U came out when I was just about to hit G rank in 3U. I read some articles online, that a good early G armor is the Regios set, and I only need a few easy parts to complete the set tonight. As a switchaxe user, would the Nargacuga set be a good one to strive for? It looks like it takes a ton of work, unlocking wyporium upgrades and such, since almost all the items are trades.

I have made it this far in the game with absolutely no Evasion+ gear, but everyone talks like it's the bees knees so I want to try it. If Nargacuga set is too hard to aim for right now, is there another recommended set to give me a sample?

So I'm new to "Endgame" MH, as this is the first game where I actually made it. MH4U came out when I was just about to hit G rank in 3U. I read some articles online, that a good early G armor is the Regios set, and I only need a few easy parts to complete the set tonight. As a switchaxe user, would the Nargacuga set be a good one to strive for? It looks like it takes a ton of work, unlocking wyporium upgrades and such, since almost all the items are trades.

I have made it this far in the game with absolutely no Evasion+ gear, but everyone talks like it's the bees knees so I want to try it. If Nargacuga set is too hard to aim for right now, is there another recommended set to give me a sample?

The hardest part about getting Narga armor is the quest to unlock the trades, after that as long as you have a good supply of Zin parts you are good. As for the skills they are great, the Evasion and Evade dist are of good use to a Switch Axe user. Adding more I-Frames and increasing the distance for your sidesteps is always a good thing. It can even make evade positioning easier to do.

Also if you post your room in the thread I am sure there would be several "veterans" that would be willing to help as well as a few newer hunters that need the quest done. You will find a good group here.

Pejo

The hardest part about getting Narga armor is the quest to unlock the trades, after that as long as you have a good supply of Zin parts you are good. As for the skills they are great, the Evasion and Evade dist are of good use to a Switch Axe user. Adding more I-Frames and increasing the distance for your sidesteps is always a good thing. It can even make evade positioning easier to do.

Also if you post your room in the thread I am sure there would be several "veterans" that would be willing to help as well as a few newer hunters that need the quest done. You will find a good group here.

Cool thanks a lot for the info! I need to research exactly what I need to do to unlock the Narga trade items. Then maybe when I hit a wall I can make a room sometime.

Cool thanks a lot for the info! I need to research exactly what I need to do to unlock the Narga trade items. Then maybe when I hit a wall I can make a room sometime.

For G rank Narga parts it is the G2 Advanced: Bolt of Pink. Zinogre and Pink Rathian in the Heaven's Mount.

And like Shengar said it has 4 points in Handicraft and 4 points in Weakness Exploit. If you have a decent handicraft charm it is very possible to get Sharpness +1, Evasion +2, Evade Distance, Sneak, Weakness Exploit, and take out the Short Sprinter.

Pila

Dear Tidal Narjaralla,

Please insert your tail in your mouth and swallow.

Sincerely,

This guy!

I love that guy, I'm a sucker for colorful beasts.

Nintendo Italy is hosting a MH tournament, they're hitting a mall close to my place this weekend. Maybe I'll show up, I don't think I wanna compete in the actual tournament but I'd love to play the game with local hunters, it's definitely a small niche thing here (it's nothing like France) and I'm kinda surprised to read about this tournament frankly. Cool stuff, maybe I'm going. I just have to overcome my fear of being the only adult person attending, that would be weird. ^^

If you get to the HR7 urgent sometime soon we could help each other out (I think there's only 4 key quests). I've been sitting on that one for a while and it seems hard to get pick up groups interested in doing Dalamadur.

I've beaten Dalamadur, haven't fought Uklanos yet.

I'd be happy to join you guys if you need it. I've also just beaten Ukanlos so we're at the same level of progression. Would be nice to start working through G rank with a group of Gaffers.

Dreavus

Sorry guys I was posting yesterday from work (and am doing so now again, ha) I'll be on later tonight if anyone wants to play then.

Pejo

For G rank Narga parts it is the G2 Advanced: Bolt of Pink. Zinogre and Pink Rathian in the Heaven's Mount.

And like Shengar said it has 4 points in Handicraft and 4 points in Weakness Exploit. If you have a decent handicraft charm it is very possible to get Sharpness +1, Evasion +2, Evade Distance, Sneak, Weakness Exploit, and take out the Short Sprinter.

So I just created some various rooms throughout the evening and got everything unlocked for the Narga set, plus got a nice supply of Zinogre stuff to get me started, including a Skymerald (!). My current Regios set with my charm and gems has gotten me to Evade+3 with Steady Hand, Bleed Resist, and Constitution. I also was able to gem out of the sharpener penalty, so it's a really really solid set. That awful Thunder resist definitely isn't doing me any favors against Zinogre for farming though.

So far I haven't noticed a lot of difference with Evade+3. I still feel like 90% of the time I take damage it's due to the "roar/beat the shit out of me while i'm out of control" moves, as well as the "fly across the map to kill me while i'm trying to use a potion". I feel like maybe I should look for a set with Earplugs, as I've gotten pretty good at knowing when/where to dodge without the Evasion bonus.

I also need to take some time and farm the last upgrade to the Conqueress switchaxe. I know it's not the best, but it's the best available to me right now from crafting/upgrades, and I'm already pretty close to getting it. Does anyone think Awaken is worth it for the 400~ fire damage it would give me? Is there another 8*-9* switchaxe I should be aiming for?

I really appreciate all the answers from you guys that have more experience. I'm loving the planning/research part of this game.

Renewed

Was getting started on Project Mirai. Gonna start up something G-rank, maybe turns room. I feel like doing arena but there are armour sets I want first (like Star Knight... don't judge)

G Turns room - room ended, gots to eat. Thanks for the help!

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is on the eShop for $23.99 right now as part of Nintendo's Cyber Deals. Just in case any of you guys were trying to convince friends or others to buy the game and join the hype grind.

Just grabbed this in the eshop sale. If I like it I might buy a CPP as I have an OG 3DS.

Its a bit confusing, and I have no idea what weapon to use but it seems fun. I swear I had all the weapons in my home and now dont!

tuffy

Its a bit confusing, and I have no idea what weapon to use but it seems fun. I swear I had all the weapons in my home and now dont!
Unless you've sold them, you probably still do. You actually have two boxes that will follow you around the whole game: an equipment box (full of weapons, armor pieces and charms) and an item box (full of potions, ores, monster parts, and whatnot). So when you're in your house and select "Store Items" or "Take Items", you're working from your item box. But if you select "Manage Equipment" you're working from your equipment box.

But although the game likes to drop your item box all over the place, your equipment box will only be accessible from inside your house.

tuffy

Yesterday I was playing and saw a guy with a Kezhu U armor set but every part had 3 slots, how is that possible?
It seems there's Khezu U relic armor so it should be possible to find pieces with 3 slots across the whole relic set given enough farming.

Unless you've sold them, you probably still do. You actually have two boxes that will follow you around the whole game: an equipment box (full of weapons, armor pieces and charms) and an item box (full of potions, ores, monster parts, and whatnot). So when you're in your house and select "Store Items" or "Take Items", you're working from your item box. But if you select "Manage Equipment" you're working from your equipment box.

But although the game likes to drop your item box all over the place, your equipment box will only be accessible from inside your house.
Thanks for clarifying this, was pretty confusing!

ohlawd

doing HR4-7 stuff. mostly HR7 advanced quests then whatever's left of that HR. do the same with the lower HRs if there's time

come if you're bored pls

60-4517-9404-0549

Definitely want to hunt tonight. I have a lot of G1-3 stuff I'd like to do for armor/weapons, so I'll probably rotate through some quests.

Thanks for the help! Rusted KD one shot me twice :/ sorry about that.

Brussels

What's up with people kicking ugh. I was in a group with a 3 others fully decked out in rare 10 but not gemmed.
We do a few hunts and it's going ok. We get to a deviljho quest and the others triple cart and then they boot me? I didn't even cart. One of them had a weapon I hadn't seen before. On a previous quest a deviljho was completely stun locked. What's up with that element on the weapon?

http://imgur.com/Arpq4hU

Shengar

What's up with people kicking ugh. I was in a group with a 3 others fully decked out in rare 10 but not gemmed.
We do a few hunts and it's going ok. We get to a deviljho quest and the others triple cart and then they boot me? I didn't even cart. One of them had a weapon I hadn't seen before. On a previous quest a deviljho was completely stun locked. What's up with that element on the weapon?

http://imgur.com/Arpq4hU

Clearly a cheater

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Alright I'm looking to just finish off some high rank weapons and event quests before going serious on G Rank.

ID: 27-1357-3283-7022
Pass:5566

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My target tonight? Seregios and some other g1/g2 quests. But mainly Seregios. I want that armor and weapon.

Thanks for everyone who has helped me so far. Some of you are frighteningly good at Monster Hunting.

Hall ID:14-4784-6427-1713
Pass: 5566

SAC

Neo Member
hello all,

played about 100 solo hours of 3U and 450 hours MH4U.... ever since getting into 3U late in the game (August 2014), i can confidently say that Monster Hunter has become one of my favorite game franchises probably ever. i am STILL playing 4U a couple days of the week (usually late night PST) and i finally just became a member of gaf! as you might be able to tell, my main in LS. it probably seems lame, but i'm one of those people who typically plays one weapon (of course means i know how to use my weapon). i still love playing this game and after all of the hunts under my belt, and definitely maxing out the LS long ago, i am going to learn a new weapon (still figuring out which one though. damn finals). i need to keep this game fresh because i've been golden crown for so long just grinding HR points

i have played up to HR 354 by pretty much exclusively playing with randoms lol... if anyone else is still playing or needs an extra cooperative, competent hunter in their group, i'll play with you. i'm the helpful type of hunter. at this point, i'm mostly in it for the HR points while also mastering a new weapon (i dunno why, but it just seems so intimidating to me to pick up a new one. i have just really identified with the LS playstyle)

Pejo

Anybody have any tips for Black Gravios in G rank? I need to clear his quest since it's a key quest in G2, but I just keep getting carted. I'm having a really hard time as a switch axe user.

I can get a few hits in here and there, but eventually he always just goes on the running laser -> fire fart combo chain, and when he does it to me towards a corner, I always end up carted because I can't escape the range of the fart. I even have tried this with randoms, and I still usually end up carting at least once, usually twice, then everyone leaves.

It's been really frustrating.

ilium

hello all,

played about 100 solo hours of 3U and 450 hours MH4U.... ever since getting into 3U late in the game (August 2014), i can confidently say that Monster Hunter has become one of my favorite game franchises probably ever. i am STILL playing 4U a couple days of the week (usually late night PST) and i finally just became a member of gaf! as you might be able to tell, my main in LS. it probably seems lame, but i'm one of those people who typically plays one weapon (of course means i know how to use my weapon). i still love playing this game and after all of the hunts under my belt, and definitely maxing out the LS long ago, i am going to learn a new weapon (still figuring out which one though. damn finals). i need to keep this game fresh because i've been golden crown for so long just grinding HR points

i have played up to HR 354 by pretty much exclusively playing with randoms lol... if anyone else is still playing or needs an extra cooperative, competent hunter in their group, i'll play with you. i'm the helpful type of hunter. at this point, i'm mostly in it for the HR points while also mastering a new weapon (i dunno why, but it just seems so intimidating to me to pick up a new one. i have just really identified with the LS playstyle)

Welcome!

Anybody have any tips for Black Gravios in G rank? I need to clear his quest since it's a key quest in G2, but I just keep getting carted. I'm having a really hard time as a switch axe user.

I can get a few hits in here and there, but eventually he always just goes on the running laser -> fire fart combo chain, and when he does it to me towards a corner, I always end up carted because I can't escape the range of the fart. I even have tried this with randoms, and I still usually end up carting at least once, usually twice, then everyone leaves.

Black Gravios really is frustrating when going melee.
I could help you with that later today, if you want?

Don't really play much anymore and might be a bit rusty tho. :p

Shengar

Try to get Evade Extender skill. It should helped you a lot to get out of B. Gravios attack before it connects.

Pejo

Welcome!

Black Gravios really is frustrating when going melee.
I could help you with that later today, if you want?

Don't really play much anymore and might be a bit rusty tho. :p

Yea i'll definitely take you up on that later today. It'll be nice to just have someone not leave as soon as I die once, haha.

Try to get Evade Extender skill. It should helped you a lot to get out of B. Gravios attack before it connects.

Hmm, that's a decent thought. I'm not sure it would help when I get cornered, but I could probably avoid the hits that get me cornered to begin with, so I could probably farm up a set with Evade Dist+. Thanks for the tip!

ilium

I'm Pacific, won't be able to play til around 430~ PST, but I'm taking it easy tonight so I'll be available pretty much any time after. Thanks again!

That's 1:30am for me, but no worries, sacrificing sleep for Monster Hunter is my favorite thing to do!

PKrockin

Gravios is crap, along with a lot of the pre-3rd gen monsters. Black Gravios especially because it takes a day and a half to break his back and stop the farts. I would say hit his back after a mount and save the tail for when he farts since you can hit it while staying out of fart range. You might be able to sword mode his face too, I forget since I usually just HBG pierce him to not have to deal with his BS. If he spams the beaming and farting while walking move I would try flash bombs.

ilium

So, since the game has been out for a while now, are there any good resources on charm table drop rates or best ancient shard farm routes?
Been doing G Heavens Mount for a God's Isle, but no luck so far :(

tuffy

So, since the game has been out for a while now, are there any good resources on charm table drop rates or best ancient shard farm routes?
Charm tables reset each time you start the game this time around, so charm sniping has turned into an absurdly convoluted process that's probably not worth the effort. A lot of folks look for quests with easy subquest conditions (like "break Rathalos' back" on Heaven's Mount, or "deliver meteor fragment" on Night Dunes), eat for Felyne Explorer to get to the secret area, then subquest out for fast charm runs.

But as for Ancient Shards, the Volcanic Hollow might have slightly better odds. A God's Isle is bound to turn up sooner or later.

"Back in the day" I used to eat for Explorer (Fish + Drink) and do Sovereign in the Sky (G2 Rathalos quest). Start in the secret area, go through areas 3, 5, 6, come back to 3 and mount Rathalos twice to break his back and exit via subquest. Quick and easy if you're reasonably proficient with the glaive. Otherwise, you could do Mountain Rescue (G2 Stygian Zinogre quest), same route, kill 8 Iopreys and end via subquest.

ilium

Charm tables reset each time you start the game this time around, so charm sniping has turned into an absurdly convoluted process that's probably not worth the effort. A lot of folks look for quests with easy subquest conditions (like "break Rathalos' back" on Heaven's Mount, or "deliver meteor fragment" on Night Dunes), eat for Felyne Explorer to get to the secret area, then subquest out for fast charm runs.

But as for Ancient Shards, the Volcanic Hollow might have slightly better odds. A God's Isle is bound to turn up sooner or later.

"Back in the day" I used to eat for Explorer (Fish + Drink) and do Sovereign in the Sky (G2 Rathalos quest). Start in the secret area, go through areas 3, 5, 6, come back to 3 and mount Rathalos twice to break his back and exit via subquest. Quick and easy if you're reasonably proficient with the glaive. Otherwise, you could do Mountain Rescue (G2 Stygian Zinogre quest), same route, kill 8 Iopreys and end via subquest.

Alright, thanks. So basically nothing new discovered since I last farmed for charms. Guess I'll make a glaive and try the rathalos route, should be going quick now with starlight armor.

How often can I get status on a monster on average during a hunt anyway with the Archipelago? 2-3 times?

tuffy

How often can I get status on a monster on average during a hunt anyway with the Archipelago? 2-3 times?
Between the level 2 and level 1 shots, 3 status effects seems around right on average. Without any easy way to farm level 2 status shot combines, it'll be difficult to get more than that on a regular basis.

Top Bottom