• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Nooo, I've been living a lie... I thought 10 star Caravan quests were all G Rank. I just got to the Apex Seregios, Death of a Thousand Cuts, a 10 star quest. I was thinking it was time for Regios X armor, starting thinking about what I was going to slot in.. but looking at the rewards he is just High Rank.

It does look like 10 star gets quests like 6 star did (via online progression), which I'm assuming will have G Rank parts?

Much like how in 6* quests, where you need to be HR4 to unlock some of them, the same is true with 10*. You need to be HR8 to unlock a lot of 10* quests.

In other news, thanks to Sassy last night for helping me with G2 quests. I struggled in High Rank with Brute Tigrex, and it looks like G Rank will be no different :/

Certain types of cats tend to show up in certain maps.

I can't tell you much about leveling them or choosing specific types since I don't really bother with that stuff. I will say that I like bomb cats as a ranged player and support cats otherwise.

As for Meownster Hunters, you want to get 1-2 cats with Unreal Blocking. It's very useful, although near as I can tell the only way to get it is just to keep recruiting cats.

Before sending them out take a look at the abilities that show up on the route you're sending them on and counter them, it's rock-paper-scissors. The final enemy on the route is always by far the hardest so make sure to counter its attacks. Having multiple bomb attacks will power up your bombs, etc. Sometimes you'll see an enemy with two ability types - what I do in that situation is I use cat attacks that aren't weak to either ability. Even if it's not 'strong' against that monster, unreal blocking will probably keep you going until it's defeated.

If you see a star on the route, that means Trenya will show up. He was a recurring character in past games and will give your cats scraps from monsters that aren't in MH4U. It's how I got my sweet ass Wroggi hat.

Yeah, I had the basics down with the Meownster Hunters, but I just finished expanding the isle and opened up high rank Palico quests. The dual type monsters along with being stronger in general are proving a challenge. The cat lady in charge of the island was telling me about unreal blocking, and that's when I decided to try and learn more about the minigame. I have cats with XP+, Healing+, dual types, etc... I just wanted to look into it more.

Like, the cat's attacks are split into 2 different melee, the boomerang, and bombs. Does this affect anything though? Would more bomber cats help against a Gravios? I also noticed that if I sent mixed colors out, but say, with a bias of 4 blue, that it would rarely let me combine all 4. This has cost me several trips.

As for my loadout in real fights, I've been taking 2 healers and 2 support. It's been a good mix so far.

Also, does fishing ever get an upgrade in rewards? I have no more use for Plesioth pieces, and I have more fish than I know what to do with. I keep doing it to spread some XP among the cats, but eh..

I've decided that I prefer my enemies frenzied over non-frenzied. Yes, they hit harder and move faster, but once you get the wystones, they go down so much easier. And you get that attack boost!
The best is when they go frenzy mid-fight, giving you a ton of time for free shots.

Mupod

Yeah, I had the basics down with the Meownster Hunters, but I just finished expanding the isle and opened up high rank Palico quests. The dual type monsters along with being stronger in general are proving a challenge. The cat lady in charge of the island was telling me about unreal blocking, and that's when I decided to try and learn more about the minigame. I have cats with XP+, Healing+, dual types, etc... I just wanted to look into it more.

Like, the cat's attacks are split into 2 different melee, the boomerang, and bombs. Does this affect anything though? Would more bomber cats help against a Gravios? I also noticed that if I sent mixed colors out, but say, with a bias of 4 blue, that it would rarely let me combine all 4. This has cost me several trips.

As for my loadout in real fights, I've been taking 2 healers and 2 support. It's been a good mix so far.

Also, does fishing ever get an upgrade in rewards? I have no more use for Plesioth pieces, and I have more fish than I know what to do with. I keep doing it to spread some XP among the cats, but eh..

I think Green Plesioth starts showing up at some point.

As for whether it lets you combine all the cat attacks at once that's just random. The only time I bring dual attack cats is when there's something problematic before the 'end boss' that needs a different counter. You want to counter the third monster's attacks, especially if it's an elder dragon. Chameleos and Kushala Daora are showing up in my routes now and they give G-rank cat armor, but they are very tough to repel. Nothing else even gives me trouble though.

Highwind

THOU KNOWETH NO HELL AS A RARE WHITE MONOBLOS SAVAGE DEVILJHO AND YIAN GARUGA EXPEDITION!!!!!!

I managed to kill both the Savage Jho and Monoblos but just gave up on Garuga as I didn't have enough space for Antidotes.

My reward?
TWO BLACK DIABLOS GUILD QUESTS! ;-;

tuffy

In other news, thanks to Sassy last night for helping me with G2 quests. I struggled in High Rank with Brute Tigrex, and it looks like G Rank will be no different :/
I'm still trying to work out a good Tigrex/Brute Tigrex gunning strategy myself. I've found HBG to be less effective because he spends half the time on the other side of the room and the other half right in my lap, without much time in-between.

So LBG with its better mobility might be the way to go with him. And since I'm dodging charges half the time anyway, he might be another good candidate for the auto-reloading Seregios gun. His head's the best shot target by far, but rapid-fire is very risky because that head and all its teeth are usually coming in my direction fast. So maybe I'll do something weird and take the limiter off the Vayu Sedition so that I can fire off normal 2s to his face without rapid-firing them.

I'll test it out on the high rank Tigrexes to see how it goes!

colinp

Banned
Is there any reason to carry my 3ds for streetpass for this game? I only ever get guild cards (and <1 per day), and my understanding is that those aren't helpful unless you actually play with that person.

Edit: for any longsword users: should I build raw swords like the crab cutter? I've got a nice collection of elemental blades and usually match up to a monster's weakness, so I haven't been building raw swords.

I just got the D. Hermitaur quest. How many quests did you have after that to get to Velociprey? I've been trying to look up the quest chain for unlocks, but it is unclear, and I really want to upgrade from my Vel armor to Vel S haha.

I'm pretty sure it was right after that that everything opened up.

Good luck!

I'm still trying to work out a good Tigrex/Brute Tigrex gunning strategy myself. I've found HBG to be less effective because he spends half the time on the other side of the room and the other half right in my lap, without much time in-between.

So LBG with its better mobility might be the way to go with him. And since I'm dodging charges half the time anyway, he might be another good candidate for the auto-reloading Seregios gun. His head's the best shot target by far, but rapid-fire is very risky because that head and all its teeth are usually coming in my direction fast. So maybe I'll do something weird and take the limiter off the Vayu Sedition so that I can fire off normal 2s to his face without rapid-firing them.

I'll test it out on the high rank Tigrexes to see how it goes!

Yes, let me know how that goes. I've kinda stayed away from the Seregios line of LBGs, but I could see it being useful against Tigrex since dodging happens nonstop. That guy is just always on the move.

Thanks to the runs, though, I was able to upgrade my Rath line LBG to Serulean Firedance, which is now my best LBG. Very stoked to use it.

Am I missing some unlock conditions for the remainder of the Caravan 10* quests?

I'm HR7, I've done Caravaneer's challenge and have gold checks up to and including 9*. 10* is at silver, and there is no one to talk to.

Kiranico says that there is no HR req for stuff like the Desert Seltas quest but I can't seem to get it to pop.

Do I need to progress in Gathering Hall to G-rank?

Why are some of the low rank 6* quests way harder than some high rank ones?

Some of them are actually high rank quests

Am I missing some unlock conditions for the remainder of the Caravan 10* quests?

I'm HR7, I've done Caravaneer's challenge and have gold checks up to and including 9*. 10* is at silver, and there is no one to talk to.

Kiranico says that there is no HR req for stuff like the Desert Seltas quest but I can't seem to get it to pop.

Do I need to progress in Gathering Hall to G-rank?

Yes, G1 G2 etc. will unlock more quests

Shengar

Does anyone know of a good article covering how the Palico minigame works? And recruiting palicoes in general. Like, what different traits are out there, is there any way to influence which you get, is there an efficient way to power level them, etc...

This is what I found from playing Meownster Hunter for countless of times:
The result is predetermined according to your combination. No matter how many you reset the game and even trying to change the order of the skill or the palicoes, if the actual combination of skills remain unchanged, the result, the order of event even, will always be the same. The only way to change the outcome is to sent palicoes with different set of skills.
THOU KNOWETH NO HELL AS A RARE WHITE MONOBLOS SAVAGE DEVILJHO AND YIAN GARUGA EXPEDITION!!!!!!

I managed to kill both the Savage Jho and Monoblos but just gave up on Garuga as I didn't have enough space for Antidotes.

My reward?
TWO BLACK DIABLOS GUILD QUESTS! ;-;

The only horror expedition story I've experienced is fighting regular Jho after Savage Deviljho. My 3DS might ended up thrown into other side of the room if this is happened to me.

Gg Internet. It's deciding to take a dive when I want to find Zin farms. Actually I have it in my head that I want that tempest armor but to get it I need horns from rusty, parts from akantor and a dire blast heart from m Tigrex. And considering I could never get the high rank heart from it I'm pretty damn sure the G one is gonna stay away from me.

Leezard

I've gotten a single Earth Dragonsphire each time I have done G-rank Dahren Mohran. Only 4 times so far though.

It's like in 3U when I got a Brach gem every time I fought (high rank) Brachydios.

Good times.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I've gotten a single Earth Dragonsphire each time I have done G-rank Dahren Mohran. Only 4 times so far though.

It's like in 3U when I got a Brach gem every time I fought (high rank) Brachydios.

Good times.
Back in my day, it was getting that rathian plate that was the bane of my existence, and still is today. Its like all the plates want to drop except that one.

Shengar

Gg Interynet. It's deciding to take a dive when I want to find Zin farms. Actually I have it in my head that I want that tempest armor but to get it I need horns from rusty, parts from akantor and a dire blast heart from m Tigrex. And considering I could never get the high rank heart from it I'm pretty damn sure the G one is gonna stay away from me.
Tempest armor is cool looling but the amount of farm involved is so ridiculous.

Beats

Where can I find Fulgurbugs? I somehow have 4 of them but I can't remember ever catching any.

You can get them from quests that involve Zinogre. Either from quest rewards, shiny drop, capturing, or bug catching its back when it's toppled over. Bug catching the back has the highest chance of getting them.

Does anyone have a high level Anything/Rajang, or Double Rajang Guild Quest? Or any other GQ that you can mine divine spheres out of? I'm tearing my hair out trying to get one.

EDIT- Nvm, someone on reddit helped me out.

Highwind

The only horror expedition story I've experienced is fighting regular Jho after Savage Deviljho. My 3DS might ended up thrown into other side of the room if this is happened to me.

Lol. The thought crossed my mind after wasting all my potions, demon drugs and armour skins and Jho ran away on the first run. -______________________-

Not doing that again.

ilium

This is what I found from playing Meownster Hunter for countless of times:
The result is predetermined according to your combination. No matter how many you reset the game and even trying to change the order of the skill or the palicoes, if the actual combination of skills remain unchanged, the result, the order of event even, will always be the same. The only way to change the outcome is to sent palicoes with different set of skills.

I'm not sure if this is true. I've been using 1xSkill Technician 3x Unreal blocker 1x Attack palico as my standard layout and to me it seems it comes down to luck and if you manage to block often enough. If i didn't get a win the first time i reset the game, try again and more often than not succeed.
IMO blocking > everything else. One attack palico is usually enough to win all three areas.

Whoever thought double Cephadrome was a good idea needs to be sacked.

I hated that quest so much. It was my "wall" in the G1 quests. You're runnin around thinking you have it covered, then BOOM you're paralyzed out of nowhere because of jank hitboxes. Then he pops up on you and you're dead.

Faiz

I hated that quest so much. It was my "wall" in the G1 quests. You're runnin around thinking you have it covered, then BOOM you're paralyzed out of nowhere because of jank hitboxes. Then he pops up on you and you're dead.

Yep, all that and they only go back and forth between 2 and 7 so keeping them separated was next to impossible. Went through a whole stack of sonic bombs on the first just trying to get as much damage done as possible for the small windows where I could seperate them. After a few rounds of abandoning i decided best I could do was when the Second one would appear to smoke bomb, dung bomb the first, then run to the other area and wait for the dunged one to catch up. Otherwise there was no way to watch out for their spamming dive/emerge and hip check.

Do you guys play all the missions in the Guild Hall? My friend and cousin just play the ones needed to rank up. Me on the other hand, is behind because I like to play them all. Still HR5

Do you guys play all the missions in the Guild Hall? My friend and cousin just play the ones needed to rank up. Me on the other hand, is behind because I like to play them all. Still HR5

Their way is the best way to access new missions and upgrade their gear/weapons quicker.
Your way is better to unlock all content. There are a lot of non-key quests that unlock things like food, fishing things, etc.

Iryx

I only did the ones necessary for ranking up and the ones which had monsters I wanted to farm until I hit Special G-rank then went back and completed all of them.

Their way is the best way to access new missions and upgrade their gear/weapons quicker.
Your way is better to unlock all content. There are a lot of non-key quests that unlock things like food, fishing things, etc.
Yeah, I did notice they don't seem to have all the upgraded foods like I do.

I only did the ones necessary for ranking up and the ones which had monsters I wanted to farm until I hit Special G-rank then went back and completed all of them.
I may just do this. I want all kinds of sets, but need to check out all the monsters' armor sets.

EDIT:
Anyone want to power level w me?

Renoir

Does anyone know of a good article covering how the Palico minigame works? And recruiting palicoes in general. Like, what different traits are out there, is there any way to influence which you get, is there an efficient way to power level them, etc...
If mupod wasn't thorough enough https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrzx3ugu3gret58/palico_guide.pdf?dl=0
This PDF helped a lot.

Is there a visual cue for crits? I know when the bow does crits you see it.

Beat the golden gore, though that was the end, but the game act like I went on vacation lol.

What is more important, high affinity and lil of DMG, or lots of DMG and low afintiy?

Mzo

What is more important, high affinity and lil of DMG, or lots of DMG and low afintiy?

Which weapon?

Affinity is chance to crit. If you're hitting often with an SNS then affinity is pretty good. If you're hitting once in a while with a GS and have crit draw anyway, affinity is garbage.

Mzo

I think you can also deodorant out of it.

If you mount with it you will explode after and miss your chance to wail on the monster. Sucks.

Renoir

Which weapon?

Affinity is chance to crit. If you're hitting often with an SNS then affinity is pretty good. If you're hitting once in a while with a GS and have crit draw anyway, affinity is garbage.
I made the "hidden blade" GS. So it would have been better to make the SnS of that weapon?

Yeah, I seem to remember that from MH 3U Though that's about the only thing I remember from that fight.
Thanks for the tip, anyothers?

When he does the thing where he quickly backs up, licks his paw, then jumps at you - roll forwards towards him. It goes against all intuition to do it, but it really is the best way to avoid that attack, and it hurts like hell if you get hit.

Are there any elemental resistances that I should go into the fight with?
Not really, no. I'd recommend eating for Defender (Hi).

When he does the thing where he quickly backs up, licks his paw, then jumps at you - roll forwards towards him. It goes against all intuition to do it, but it really is the best way to avoid that attack, and it hurts like hell if you get hit.

Not really, no. I'd recommend eating for Defender (Hi).

Well, I just defeated him, carted once. Went better than I thought it would. Though his urgent quest is still there...

Anyone who's interested, I'll be working on Ranking up (currently HR5)

Gathering Hall ID: 52-7036-2814-9429

Pass: 1111

First time hosting for GAF Hunters

closed

Top Bottom